X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Thanks man! It exactly how the F-86 loves to fly. And, conserving the throttle to only the climbs I've extended some flights to as much as 5 minutes.
    Yeah that is the proper way to do it!
    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• The Freewing F-86 is my first EDF and had the maiden flight two weeks ago, winds have kept it grounded since. I got a lot of useful information from these threads, thanks to all who have posted to them. I did a little weathering on the finish and and added chequers to the tail and some colour to the drop tanks. There are so many livery options for a Sabre and they fly so well that I see a garage full of them down the road. One thing I would like to know, the videos never seem to have them flying with the drop tanks on. I am sure you can but was wondering why people don't do it more often. Is it simply a matter of additional drag and battery drain?

Comment

• I actually fly with the drop tanks on most of the time. The last video I posted, I accidentally left them at the apartment, so I had no choice. Sure they are a bit of extra drag, but I like how it looks with them on.

Comment

• Originally posted by StewW View Post
          One thing I would like to know, the videos never seem to have them flying with the drop tanks on. I am sure you can but was wondering why people don't do it more often. Is it simply a matter of additional drag and battery drain?
          I don't fly with them on because of the extra drag. I think it looks better with them on.

Comment

• Any nasty habits with the tanks on? Guessing just a little bit sluggish and requires a faster approach?

Comment

• None that I ever noticed.

Comment

• Originally posted by StewW View Post
                One thing I would like to know, the videos never seem to have them flying with the drop tanks on. I am sure you can but was wondering why people don't do it more often. Is it simply a matter of additional drag and battery drain?

I go in spells it seems, flying with the drop tanks on. Some days, all my flights will be with them on. There is some difference you can feel with them on. But no big deal for sure.

Here's a video when i had the drop tanks on.

Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Here's another flight with the drop tanks on. It was pretty windy that day. I don't think it mattered that much with the handling. BUT, you will see i didn't judge my final approach speed very well, and didn't have a very pretty landing into the wind.

Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• here is ours Lon. We filmed one video in Muncie without tanks and this one at our home field with. Sorry for the lens noise. Someone forgot the external mic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

I go in spells it seems, flying with the drop tanks on. Some days, all my flights will be with them on. There is some difference you can feel with them on. But no big deal for sure.

Here's a video when i had the drop tanks on.
                      I'm with Lon. I go in spells as well. I like the appearance with them on and they help me with orientation but there are times I fly it without them too. I like it either way.

Comment

• Thanks for the posts. I love this forum, everyone is so helpful.
                        they really do look good in flight with the tanks. It is definitely going to be done the next time I go to the field.

Comment

• It flies great with the tanks on, it is a little slower but looks way better, landings are the same to me, didn't really notice any difference.

Comment

• It will fly slower with the tanks but looks amazing! It is also easier to landing since the tanks help with stability.
                            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Hey, everyone. New to this forum. I picked up a Freewing Me-262 for a great price at swap meet a few weeks back. I'd always planned to get a Me-262, but hadn't planned on getting one quite so quickly. I'm a prop warbirder, but have never flown jets, other than the UMX A-10 Hoglet. I'm extremely hesitant to fly the twin EDF 262 as my first 'rea'l EDF. I want to get good single-engine EDF and have been considering several possibilities. This is my trade space: Single engine, capable of grass-field take off and landing, retracts, military. Many people have recommended the Freewing F-86. I've also been considering the Mig-21 and the Venom. The F-86 seems to be the most recommended as a starter jet. The Venom gets high marks, too, but I hate to spend an extra $100 for a starter plane. The Fishbed seems to fly more like a delta wing than a conventional plane, and may be pitchy and hyper-sensitive to CG (but it scores the highest marks for coolness). I have heard at least once that the F-86 gear may struggle on a grass field, but that seems to be the only negative.

Anyway, you guys have been flying the F-86. Would you recommend it as a first jet for guy who's pretty experienced in prop warbirds and wants to move to a twin EDF (Me-262)?
                              ---
                              Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post

Anyway, you guys have been flying the F-86. Would you recommend it as a first jet for guy who's pretty experienced in prop warbirds and wants to move to a twin EDF (Me-262)?
                                Yes. Definitely as a first EDF! For grass you can upgrade the wheel sizes by about a 1/4" without too much modifying of the airframe but they add weight.

Comment

• +1. It is hard to beat how well it flies. If the grass is low cut, and you use 1/2 flaps on takeoff, it will do fine off grass.

Comment

• Okay, hearing no one telling me that I'd be an idiot for getting the Freewing F-86 as my first EDF, I'm about to hit the order key. I'd really hoped to find one (or something similar) at one of the swap meets that I'd recently attended, but I guess that everyone loves their EDFs too much to let them go. Any spare parts that I should order at the same time, other than a 6S-4K batt? I guess that a good thing about getting into EDFs is that I won't be breaking props on ground strikes. I'll admit, initially, I wasn't really that stoked about the F-86 (as I was thinking of it only as a stepping stone to my Me-262), but after watching several YouTube videos/reviews, I'm looking forward to flying the F-86.

[edit] One other question.... More than half the time, I'll run stabilized receivers (lemonRX) in my 1100mm birds, but not in my 1400+mm birds. I've never flown a 1200mm bird. Does anyone recommend running a stabilized receiver in it, or is it pretty tame for landing?
                                    ---
                                    Warbirder

Comment

• I don't run any stabilization in my F-86 and I don't see a need for it, I find it to be a well mannered plane.

Comment

• I don't see any reason to run a stabilizer receiver in the F-86. You will find your takeoffs and landings to be more consistantly good, than with your 1400mm prop warbirds.
                                        Lon

Comment

• No stabilizer needed but it would just make an already stable design even more stable.

I got some good flying in at Apollo field in Van Nuys this past weekend! Here is my flight with a Buddies F-86...

Comment

Working...
                                          X