X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waconut, Looks remarkable. I'll do some 'reflection' on your work. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Looking pretty sweet at this point ! Keep going .

Comment

• Nothing like waiting for paint to dry.

I painted the white portions of the wings and tail surfaces last evening. I used Krylon White Gloss. The can says 48 hour cure time@ 70 deg. I have space heater going in my hobby room and have the temp up to 80 deg. That should cut the cure time down to 40 hours and I can mask and spray the red and blue tomorrow afternoon.

If you handle the chrome paint with bare hand you will leave marks on the surface. I have found that if you use latex gloves the surface is not affected. I will have to wear gloves while masking and spraying also while applying the graphics.

Comment

• Does anyone know how Polycrylic does over to of Krylon/Duplicolor spray paint? I want to spray a clear over the plane to seal the graphics and protect the chrome paint.

Thanks!!!
          Anthony

Comment

• Plane looks good! I took these pics the other day in case you are searching for references... I have about 100 of this Sabre, a 10 minute video of a walkaround (and under) an F-14, also some F-104, and A-10 pics. Being as those are the my only planes the museum had that I also had in my Freewing Fleet.

It was about a quarter mile from my dentists office so i made a solo field trip...

Click image for larger version

Name:	F86 LTAIL.JPG
Views:	855
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	245971Click image for larger version

Name:	F86 RAFT.JPG
Views:	751
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	245972

Comment

• Thanks for the pics,
              I pretty much have all the info I need to complete the details that I am putting into the plane.
              Thanks Again!!
              Anthony

Comment

• I started masking and spraying the red and blue. The white paint was good and dry on the tail surfaces. I had only a couple minor problems on the tail with paint lifting. On the top of the fuse where the tail mounts the white paint lifted after spraying the red. I will have to mask off the red and spray the white again.

I did a test with all 4 colors sprayed on a paint cup. I sprayed 2 coats of Polycrylic over the paints with no issues. I will clear the plane with Polycrylic after the graphics are applied.

Here is a pic of the stab/elevators.
                Later!!
                Anthony
                Attached Files

Comment

• Waconut Looks great, Sir. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Yes... Turned out very nice !

Comment

• I have the red,white and blue sprayed on the plane. I have to say the chrome paint does not tolerate being touched by hand or masked. You can handle it with latex gloves and it will not affect the surface. I will have to wait for the colored paints to cure so I can mask off and re-spray the chrome paint.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• WN, I thought you had shot clear acrylic on the 'chrome' before adding the Red, White, & Blue. Best, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• No, I had already made a few fingerprints in it. I will just shoot another coat after the color coats dry.
                          I may shoot a coat of clear before and after the graphics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                            WN, I thought you had shot clear acrylic on the 'chrome' before adding the Red, White, & Blue. Best, LB
                            To be honest it never hit me to seal the chrome with Polycrylic before masking and spraying the colors. I will seal the colors with Polycrylic before re-spraying the chrome.

Comment

• All the painting is complete on my F-86. The graphics from Callie should arrive today. I am hoping the red, white and blue fuselage stripes are included. If not I am going to order pinstripe tape to put the stripes on. I am done fighting masking this plane.
                              Later!!
                              Anthony
                              Attached Files

Comment

• The graphics did not arrive today, hopefully tomorrow. I did receive my F-4 Phantom, 3D cockpit, exhaust nozzles and double afterburners from RC Geek. I will resist the urge to start another project until the F-86 is finished.

Comment

• I decided to put the F-86 together and see how the paint scheme is looking. Can’t wait for the graphics to get here’s.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• The graphics arrived today. Callie does great work. The stripes were not included but I didn’t think they would be. I will order some pinstripe tape.

I am happy with how it turned out.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
                                      The graphics arrived today. Callie does great work. I am happy with how it turned out.
                                      WN, Phenomenal livery and very well executed...but you knew that. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I would be proud to have that one in my hanger.... Nice job !

Comment

• Thanks guys,
                                          I have liked the F-86 in this paint scheme since I was a kid. I was worried while doing the painting that I might not get the proportions right and the angle of the blue/silver separation line would not be on the correct angle to match the black/white USAF decal. I have emailed Callie asking her if she can make me the fuselage stripes if I supply the dimensions. I would hate to spend a hundred bucks buying six different rolls of pinstripe tapes.
                                          Later!!
                                          Anthony

Comment

Working...
                                          X