X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paulrkytek, I like it big time. Great work on your Sabre. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I never got around to adding my drop tanks, and now i prefer it without them added so possibly never will-had mine 4 years, fantastic plane! No plans to swap the fan, the 12 blade outrunner works just fine. Photos on the runway at Tokoroa, NZ last summer.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Builda View Post
        I never got around to adding my drop tanks, and now i prefer it without them added so possibly never will-had mine 4 years, fantastic plane! No plans to swap the fan, the 12 blade outrunner works just fine. Photos on the runway at Tokoroa, NZ last summer.
        Looking good Builda, thats a lot of years relaxed flying ahead, enjoy them all.

Comment

• Excellent work on the drop tanks.

Comment

• has anyone measured static thrust with the upgraded 86?

Comment

• Originally posted by greg View Post
              has anyone measured static thrust with the upgraded 86?

I just did. My method is not very sophisticated. With the plane setting on its gear I tie a string around the main gear and attach an electronic fish scale. I ran it up twice and got 4.5 pounds on both runs. That was on a fully charged HobbyStar 6200 50C pack.

Comment

• I haven’t been able to find the spec sheet on the new power system. The manual available is still the one from a couple of years ago. I bought the version that was supposed to be the 3530-1750 Kv w/ 12 blade. I actually received the 3530-1680 KV with 12 blade. 80A esc. The improvement note in my manual rates it at 2500g or 88.18 oz.
                Does anyone have the improvements notes for the 9 blade version?

Comment

• The latest "Tiger Meet" Mirage comes with the inrunner, 9-blade, 3658 1920kv ................. Static Thrust: Around 3.0Kg - 3.1Kg (93A).

Comment

• I am showing 318g for unit weight. Amp draw is 67-75. Hmmm I am not seeing a huge improvement. 2.5-2.8 Kilograms thrust with my current unit. I have 600’ of close cropped grass to fly from. I should be able to fly as is. Thx

Comment

• Originally posted by Jbkinwa View Post
                      I am showing 318g for unit weight. Amp draw is 67-75. Hmmm I am not seeing a huge improvement. 2.5-2.8 Kilograms thrust with my current unit. I have 600’ of close cropped grass to fly from. I should be able to fly as is. Thx
                      The newer 9 blade is a pretty significant increase in performance over the outrunners. They even have a 12 blade inrunner that would do well in this bird too but the 9 blade is the lightest. I have seen it fly at my field with the new set up and it moves really good!!
                      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I just picked up one of these from an old friend, and it appears to be the older 12 blade version. The ESC has the heat shrink cut off where the label is, so I'm not sure if this is a 4s or 6s bird. I'm leaning towards 6s, especially since its underpowered, but it's hard to know. It powered up fine and took a quick burst of full throttle on 6s, but continuous who knows. It was bought prior to 2016, don't know the exact date.

Does anyone have insight? I'd appreciate it! Lucky for me it came with a flysky rx and some no name stabilizer/gyro and I could bind it directly to my Jumper T16 MPM. A bit concerned with the range, so i may put a crossfire 915mhz control link in...

If pictures would help, let me know :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Herp_Derpula View Post
                          I just picked up one of these from an old friend, and it appears to be the older 12 blade version. The ESC has the heat shrink cut off where the label is, so I'm not sure if this is a 4s or 6s bird. I'm leaning towards 6s, especially since its underpowered, but it's hard to know. It powered up fine and took a quick burst of full throttle on 6s, but continuous who knows. It was bought prior to 2016, don't know the exact date.

Does anyone have insight? I'd appreciate it! Lucky for me it came with a flysky rx and some no name stabilizer/gyro and I could bind it directly to my Jumper T16 MPM. A bit concerned with the range, so i may put a crossfire 915mhz control link in...

If pictures would help, let me know :)
                          If it's an 80mm fan, it'll be a 6s system, so if you put a 4s battery in it, I'm surprised it actually flew. Those early 80mm Sabres, even on 6s, were quite anemic. It likely also has the 80A ESC in it. The newer, "high performance" ones, have 100A. Do you know if it's an 80mm fan or is it the smaller plane with the 64mm fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            If it's an 80mm fan, it'll be a 6s system, so if you put a 4s battery in it, I'm surprised it actually flew. Those early 80mm Sabres, even on 6s, were quite anemic. It likely also has the 80A ESC in it. The newer, "high performance" ones, have 100A. Do you know if it's an 80mm fan or is it the smaller plane with the 64mm fan.
                            Without taking it apart, I honestly couldn't tell you. I would bet its an 80mm because I found a video of the old owner flying it and it didn't look too bad, although it was using concrete for a runway and not grass. To clarify, I did not fly it on 4s lol I just read somewhere about there being a 4s version and didn't want to throw 6s at it full throttle on launch without knowing.

I suppose without taking it apart I can't really check if it's 80mm? I measured the outlet on the back of the plane and its right around 64-65mm on calipers. If I open the calipers to 80mm and put it near the fan it does look to be 80mm and not 64mm. I'll attach a picture, not sure how helpful it'll actually be. Looks like I can pull the wing off with just four screws.

Comment

• It's not hard to see the difference between the 80mm and 64mm plane. The 64mm plane is tiny and it's a hand tosser (700mm wingspan vs 1200mm) Also, a 64mm fan is NOT going to have a 64mm exhaust hole at the back of the plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                It's not hard to see the difference between the 80mm and 64mm plane. The 64mm plane is tiny and it's a hand tosser (700mm wingspan vs 1200mm) Also, a 64mm fan is NOT going to have a 64mm exhaust hole at the back of the plane.
                                Thanks, still learning! I just don't work with large EDF's. No one pays the "big bucks" for that 😅 Still a bit concerned about the no name gyro, though it moves the control surfaces as I'd expect. Just something about chinese clones in a large plane, not like I use chinese FC's (Matek) in planes I've sent 25 miles out or anything... just new to me so I'm hesitant.

I wonder how hard it'd be (and the cost) to upgrade it to the newer version, especially if it gives me longer flight times. I wonder if anyone has thrown a full blown flight controller in and flown it FPV. Maybe I'll try it out.

Comment

• Going to upgrade my old Freewing F86 with the old 12 blade outrunner motor in it to the new 80mm 9 blade inrunner motor I take it the new 9 blade inrunner will fit into my old F86 fuse and by what I have read in this forum it should help my dodgy take off from my grass runway ,it only just get airborne with the old 12 blade outrunner .Hoping the new 9 blade inrunner will help there

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                                    Going to upgrade my old Freewing F86 with the old 12 blade outrunner motor in it to the new 80mm 9 blade inrunner motor I take it the new 9 blade inrunner will fit into my old F86 fuse and by what I have read in this forum it should help my dodgy take off from my grass runway ,it only just get airborne with the old 12 blade outrunner .Hoping the new 9 blade inrunner will help there
                                    If you are planning to swap only the motor and impeller, that won't work. You can't put an inrunner motor/fan into an outrunner fan shroud. You need to buy the whole unit - motor/fan/shroud. Also, take a look at the ESCs. The old one uses an 80A. The new inrunner version uses a 100A. The new inrunner system will likely overload and burn up the old ESC.

Comment

• Thanks xviper ,never gave the esc a thought . I have an esc from a crashed FMS Hawk ,it is 100 amp with a 8 am BEC so that should be OK .Yes I have brought the complete 80mm inrunner set up from Motion RC .Let me know if you see a problem with FHS Hawk esc .I am not great on electric but I am sure the FMS esc should be OK to fit in the F 86 80mm inrunner motor

Comment

• Originally posted by Herp_Derpula View Post

Without taking it apart, I honestly couldn't tell you. I would bet its an 80mm because I found a video of the old owner flying it and it didn't look too bad, although it was using concrete for a runway and not grass. To clarify, I did not fly it on 4s lol I just read somewhere about there being a 4s version and didn't want to throw 6s at it full throttle on launch without knowing.

I suppose without taking it apart I can't really check if it's 80mm? I measured the outlet on the back of the plane and its right around 64-65mm on calipers. If I open the calipers to 80mm and put it near the fan it does look to be 80mm and not 64mm. I'll attach a picture, not sure how helpful it'll actually be. Looks like I can pull the wing off with just four screws.
                                        this pic is showing that it is an outrunner but we don't know what kv the motor is. Its had no less than 3 different motors over the years so it could be any one of three. The 9 blade inrunner is a great upgrade choice as well!! The plane will leap to life with that set up and I think you can even use the same esc that you have in it!
                                        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• i just swapped out the stock fan and esc to the fms v1 futura fan unit and esc, goes alot better with much longer flight times

Comment

Working...
                                          X