X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 80mm EDF F-86 Sabre Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the Freewing 80mm EDF F-86 Sabre. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this iconic aircraft.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Share your stories with this EDF. I just got mine together. Excited to attempt to fly it and maybe crash it lol. One thing I will say is these FW edfs make all other epo birds look like crap in comparison. The quality is far superior to my ww2 fms birds. I also thought this unit was supposed to have ball links??? Mine only has them on the elevator.
    AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
      Share your stories with this EDF. I just got mine together. Excited to attempt to fly it and maybe crash it lol. One thing I will say is these FW edfs make all other epo birds look like crap in comparison. The quality is far superior to my ww2 fms birds. I also thought this unit was supposed to have ball links??? Mine only has them on the elevator.
      Hey Zeto,

Yes, not ALL come with ball links. I had some spares and put them on all my links when doing the assembly. I had 10 flights logged on my 86 today, and was 10+ mph winds most the day. She handles the wind great! The biggest adjustment i've had flying her is landings. You may be surprised at how far she wants to keep flying when landing, even after you have reduced power to idle. Specially if not using landing flaps. My recomendation is even with a strong wind...use landing flaps. And keep adding elevator presure to keep her from touching down as long as possible! Set her down too soon, and you may end up with a bucking bronco in your hands to control. Anyway, drop me a message with any questions.
      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

One of the best flying planes around! 4000mah battery (3.5 min) 5000 mah battery (4 min) . Just like Ryan said, place the battery all the way back against the ESC bracket. I think it flies best with the 5000mah battery. You'll have to carve out the underside of the canopy, but it cuts right through any Cross winds. Normal take-off: half flaps, full throttle, gear up, flaps up.Cross wind take-offs: no flaps, slight aileron into wind prior to roll, full throttle. Landings: normal, half flaps on down wind, base to final, full flaps, cut throttle on short final and glide in like a Cub. Cross wind landings: low cross, half flaps, very little power on landing. High cross winds, no flaps, power on (25-40% )fast landing with a long roll out. I like high rates on rudder, mid-rates on elevator, low rates and 30% expo on ailerons. After flying mine for 6 months, I had to swap the main gear tires around as they will wear at an angle.Flies very sluggish with the drop tanks and they appear to be way out of scale (too big). Tests with my Big5 GPS meter (on-board) show 96mph with either size battery.

Comment

I've had My F-86 for about a month. I'm running the 6s 5000mah battery. Carving out the canopy was not a problem. For me however My flight times seem to be limited to 3 minutes. The plane flys great. Like already mentioned wind is just not an issue. I've started practicing a steeper approach angle with flaps in light winds and I'm getting some nice squeaker landings. I have noticed though that the tires are getting flat spots on them. I'm wondering if anyone else is having that problem?

Comment

I've had a great time flying the 86 this holiday weekend. Just finished 4 flights this morning. Such a great flying plane. My first EDF and loving it!!
            Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

I think that will be my next one.... Always liked F86's!
              Lauren

Comment

Is it faster than the dynam me 262? Mine is still waiting maiden. After the 262 crash I have been leary
                AMA 1102566

Comment

Since the Dynam runs on 4S 5 blade fans, I would say that the F-86 is most likely faster. Max speed is around 85 mph on the stock setup. That said, it handles slow flight and wind pretty well. I took it out on Saturday in some pretty gusty conditions and it handled the wind miles better than my prop warbirds.

Comment

Six flights on my F-86 yesterday, it's my favorite plane. She flies really nice with only one bad habit, the gear is narrow someone a crosswind mine has tipped over on the nose and wing.

you can see what I mean in this video.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                      Six flights on my F-86 yesterday, it's my favorite plane. She flies really nice with only one bad habit, the gear is narrow someone a crosswind mine has tipped over on the nose and wing.

you can see what I mean in this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mE0p_aX25UU
                      Sure looks pretty on final Dave!
                      Lauren

Comment

Like Dave, i did 6 flights on the F-86 yesterday too. Hmmm...it's a toss up between the P-38 and 86, of which one i like flying the most.
                        Lon

Comment

I saw Lon fly several flights with his and a dual flight with him and Ryan, what a great plane, not to take away from the pilots!!
                          That might be a plane for Nefi next year, maybe I can swing a Sabre, hmmm.......

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Lon View Post
                            Like Dave, i did 6 flights on the F-86 yesterday too. Hmmm...it's a toss up between the P-38 and 86, of which one i like flying the most.
                            I love my P-38 as well. It's also a great flier.

Comment

I have one coming and have a question about the battery. I have some Turnigy 6S 5000mah 30-40C discharge batteries. Will they work in this plane as long
                              as I carve out a bit for them to fit? They are about 1 7/8" wide, 2" tall and 5 3/4" long. They weigh a little over 750g. Just curious as I need to know if I need to buy some other batteries.
                              Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Chalredline1 View Post
                                I have one coming and have a question about the battery. I have some Turnigy 6S 5000mah 30-40C discharge batteries. Will they work in this plane as long
                                as I carve out a bit for them to fit? They are about 1 7/8" wide, 2" tall and 5 3/4" long. They weigh a little over 750g. Just curious as I need to know if I need to buy some other batteries.
                                Thanks,
                                I have been using the 6s 5000 60c batteries from Turnigy for the last few months. They work ok but because of the increased weight they don't really add any time to the flight. I've bought two of the Admiral 6s 4000 60c batteries and wow what a difference. The 4k batteries are 12 oz lighter than the 5k. The flight times are the same but because of the lighter weight the plane performs better.

Comment

They will fit, you will just have to relocate the ESC so you can slide the battery farther back. I have been flying on Revolectrix 70C 6S 5500s and I do get a bit more flight time, about 4 min. However, like Roy said, it really performs better with the lightweight Admiral 4000s. Speed and vertical are improved significantly.

Comment

Fellows thanks for the battery advice. Can't wait to get this one and give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Chalredline1 View Post
                                      Fellows thanks for the battery advice. Can't wait to get this one and give it a go.
                                      Chalredline1...Have you got her in the air yet??
                                      Lon

Comment

Mine still hangs from the ceiling. Still scared to put her up
                                        AMA 1102566

Comment

Working...
                                        X