Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich I'm sorry to hear of your problem with the T-45. I read your description a few times and this is what I got out of it.

This bird does not fly like the L-39. It is heavier and takes a minute to get up to speed. It sounds to me like you may have stalled it at least twice. The first "wiggle" was the jet telling you "hey I'm too slow". The final rollover was a classic stall.

My advice, easy on the climbout and initial turn. After that she flies great at mid throttle. For landing, come in a bit high, throw out all the stuff, and pull the throttle back. Add in a little throttle as you level out about 4ft off the deck. then slowly reduce throttle.

I will link a video below of the correct landing. I almost crashed on takeoff because I was looking down at my feet (we fly in a hay field with fireants…) But don't be scared of this bird. She is easy to fly. And you cannot beat the sound of it.

Landing video https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...790#post145790

The maiden https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...828#post145828

Hope you have success with this jet in the future.
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• The bird is ready for first flight!

Some observations....

1. The overall quality of this new T45 is much better than the previous ones I have had. I had to move a servo horn on an aileron. That's it. No bad servos, no re-working anything.
      2. This appears to be a V2 (?) version with a new motor/edf combination (1650kv).The thrust seems pretty good to me on the bench too.
      I am anxious to see how well she performs on our grass field. I have flown an older version bone stock off this grass field with no issues. I think this one may perform better.

And, I soldered on my own connectors. But the factory solder joints were done well.

The maiden is scheduled for early tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
        The bird is ready for first flight!

Some observations....

1. The overall quality of this new T45 is much better than the previous ones I have had. I had to move a servo horn on an aileron. That's it. No bad servos, no re-working anything.
        2. This appears to be a V2 (?) version with a new motor/edf combination (1650kv).The thrust seems pretty good to me on the bench too.
        I am anxious to see how well she performs on our grass field. I have flown an older version bone stock off this grass field with no issues. I think this one may perform better.

And, I soldered on my own connectors. But the factory solder joints were done well.

The maiden is scheduled for early tomorrow.
        Let us know how that 1650 performs, I was about to buy one and try it out, think I will wait and hear your report first, the stock 1550 actually does very well once it gets up to speed but I was kind of wondering if the 1650 would be a little bit better, looking forward to your report.

Comment

• Good luck and Happy Landings!
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I flew the T45 today. The new 1650kv performed perfect. Plenty of power to get airborne off the grass runway. Actually, it got airborne in about the same distance as the L-39. The sound was good too.
            They fixed the T45 in my opinion. I like the blue box, the quality, and the new motor.

Comment

• Glad to hear! :Cool:
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I flew the T45 today. The new 1650kv performed perfect. Plenty of power to get airborne off the grass runway. Actually, it got airborne in about the same distance as the L-39. The sound was good too.
                They fixed the T45 in my opinion. I like the blue box, the quality, and the new motor.
                Hi, is there a new version on the market or did you upgrade to the 1650kv motor. Thx

Comment

Rich I'm sorry to hear of your problem with the T-45. I read your description a few times and this is what I got out of it.

This bird does not fly like the L-39. It is heavier and takes a minute to get up to speed. It sounds to me like you may have stalled it at least twice. The first "wiggle" was the jet telling you "hey I'm too slow". The final rollover was a classic stall.

My advice, easy on the climbout and initial turn. After that she flies great at mid throttle. For landing, come in a bit high, throw out all the stuff, and pull the throttle back. Add in a little throttle as you level out about 4ft off the deck. then slowly reduce throttle.

I will link a video below of the correct landing. I almost crashed on takeoff because I was looking down at my feet (we fly in a hay field with fireants…) But don't be scared of this bird. She is easy to fly. And you cannot beat the sound of it.

Landing video https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...790#post145790

The maiden https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...828#post145828

Hope you have success with this jet in the future.
                  Hi
                  Thank you for reaching out regarding my question and issue...… I agree with you regarding the possible stalling scenario, but I believe my T45 jet CG was slightly tail heavy. Wayne at MRC told me to double check my CG and this was not correct (somehow) I messed up.. I agree the T45 is heavier than the L39, just scared me the way it responded at the time. My A4 flies great too (very frisky) So hopefully I will get my T45 out again with the CG correct for a new maiden voyage :)

Also, thanks for your tips and videos..... very nice work.

Rich

Comment

• I posted my CG in post #215, place your fingers on the those front retract mouting screws and you will have a safe CG to start with, flies nice there.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                      I posted my CG in post #215, place your fingers on the those front retract mouting screws and you will have a safe CG to start with, flies nice there.
                      Thank you I checked out your CG tips also..... All good ideas in our forum!

Rich

Comment

• By the way, I used the "finger on the screw" method described above for my flights last week. I needed no trim. It works.

Comment

By the way, I used the "finger on the screw" method described above for my flights last week. I needed no trim. It works.
                          thanks for the feedback! :Cool:

Comment

• Here's the video of my maiden a couple days ago...It struggled to get up off grass with the stock setup but flew ok once airborne. It's a little underpowered off grass-needs a long run. My FW 80mm Avanti S has more pep on the field. Landed with full flaps and slats deployed (on one switch). Overall it's a great looking scale design.

I was thinking of swapping EDF motor and fan unit for the Freewing 90MM metal EDF set 6S 4068-1835 inrunner motor to give it more thrust found here:

Other suggestions welcome.
                            What's the consensus about the stock power set up?

Comment

• RCFlyer was that the new V2 version or the older one? Also, what kind of condition was your battery? That looked a little weak on power to me. My V2 bird gets off the grass in the same distance as my L-39. Those videos I posted above are of my old V1 version that has less power.
                              I agree she is touchy on ailerons without some reduction in travel and some expo. I will see if I can get some video tomorrow of mine to compare the takeoff.

Nice job on the landing. Well done.

Wolfgang...they apparently changed the motor and added a blue box. Also, the retracts might be a different size as well. It's stock. Manual says V2.

Also check your flap hinges. I had to re-glue the center hinge on both flaps. And I extracted and re-glued the nose wheel mount. It was a little loose. This however, is not for the faint of heart as I had to do some surgery to get it out.

Comment

• [QUOTE]RCFlyer was that the new V2 version or the older one? Also, what kind of condition was your battery? .[/QUOTE]

I bought the plane unflown from another flyer who had it for a while so I think it's the 3748 / 1550KV motor. I cant see markings when I take it out. The battery isn't too old - may be 50 flights on it. I use it on the 80mm Avanti and it performs fine. I may just get the 4068 / 1835KV motor as an upgrade.

Comment

• I installed the 1835 in mine for a test and wasn't all that impressed, I had and extra one laying around so I tried it and I didn't see a real big enough improvement, it had little better climb out and vertical but not huge improvement, maybe the ducting isn't all that great on the T-45, so I put the 1550 back in it and have been flying it this way ever since. You will have to move your battery all the way forward to the foam block in front of the nose gear retract to get it to balance, so really you feel the weight penalty to me, just felt heavier in the air. Not trying to discourage you from buying one, it does work better and flying off grass it would help and who knows, you may have a whole new experience and it may work great for you. If you buy it and it don't work out, you can always drop it in another 90mm. It just didn't improve it like my 90mm F-16, F-15, those two improved big time.

Comment

RCFlyer was that the new V2 version or the older one? Also, what kind of condition was your battery? That looked a little weak on power to me. My V2 bird gets off the grass in the same distance as my L-39. Those videos I posted above are of my old V1 version that has less power.
                                    I agree she is touchy on ailerons without some reduction in travel and some expo. I will see if I can get some video tomorrow of mine to compare the takeoff.

Nice job on the landing. Well done.

Wolfgang...they apparently changed the motor and added a blue box. Also, the retracts might be a different size as well. It's stock. Manual says V2.

Also check your flap hinges. I had to re-glue the center hinge on both flaps. And I extracted and re-glued the nose wheel mount. It was a little loose. This however, is not for the faint of heart as I had to do some surgery to get it out.
                                    Hi seaviper, thx for info. Where did you purchase it? I asked MRC, if there is a V2 available with a 1650kv motor and they sad still the 1550kv with no mod.

Comment

• I got it from MRC. The box is not different. But the manual states the changes. It has a new MCB-D blue box, different wing connector ribbon cables, steady nav lights, and the 1650kv motor.

Also, when you click on the manual at MRC, the pdf is titled "V2" but when you open the pdf, look at the top of the first page. The version they give you is FJ307-V01. Mine is FJ307-V02.

I plan on flying today and will try to get some video.

Link to new power system
                                      90mm 12-Blade EDF 6S Power System w/ 3748-1650kV Motor from Freewing - E7229

Comment

• Put 4 flights on the T-45 yesterday. She has PLENTY of power in the V-2 configuration. I was flying a year old Turnigy HD 5000 pack and still no problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_180408.jpg
Views:	1837
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	203544Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_173524.jpg
Views:	1768
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	203545

My settings

Throws by the book except ailerons 85% travel, 40% exp....elevator full travel, 40% expo....rudder 70% expo

Battery Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000 mAH from 2018 with LOTS of flights on it. XT-90 connectors

Takeoff... slats, half flaps
                                        Landing... slats, full flaps

Get in the throttle in slow turns.

Speed brakes (not air brakes....which are on diesel trucks and the like) actually do help in the approach. BUT, the little servos driving them will get overloaded and won't retract afterwards. So I recommend the speed brakes be left alone.

CG set by the "finger on the screw" method. Fine tuned by a couple of test flights. In a slow turn she should stay level and not drop the tail or nose.

Comment

Put 4 flights on the T-45 yesterday. She has PLENTY of power in the V-2 configuration. I was flying a year old Turnigy HD 5000 pack and still no problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_180408.jpg
Views:	1837
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	203544Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_173524.jpg
Views:	1768
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	203545

My settings

Throws by the book except ailerons 85% travel, 40% exp....elevator full travel, 40% expo....rudder 70% expo

Battery Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000 mAH from 2018 with LOTS of flights on it. XT-90 connectors

Takeoff... slats, half flaps
                                          Landing... slats, full flaps

Get in the throttle in slow turns.

Speed brakes (not air brakes....which are on diesel trucks and the like) actually do help in the approach. BUT, the little servos driving them will get overloaded and won't retract afterwards. So I recommend the speed brakes be left alone.

CG set by the "finger on the screw" method. Fine tuned by a couple of test flights. In a slow turn she should stay level and not drop the tail or nose.
                                          Great, just flew mine yesterday, love the looks of the T-45, so your liking the new power plant over stock?? I'm thinking about trying one also just to see if I can get a little more power and flight time. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X