Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden report: I have to say with the setup I have now this plane is a great flying model. I now have ~15 flights on it and its a keeper!
    However, the very first maiden flight was a bit scary as the model rolls to the right (port side). I had to compensate/trim with ailerons quite a bit to arrest the roll. Did anyone else have this issue? It seems the wings are warped - this could a mold issue. My setup now:

- My CG is at 70mm (book CG is 63mm)
    - No Elevator/Flap compensation, at the correct speeds this plane does not need any correction
    - I have slats deploying when flaps are at full. This really works well during landings for a nice, slow approach.

The T-45 will be in my hangar for a while - love it!

Comment

• Paulz,
      in my recent post I mentioned having had three T-45's. Two had some slight warping in either the main swing or the stab. One method found to fix it is to remove the part, sandwich it between two pieces of glass and with a hair dryer, slowly warm the glass, let it cool then examine the fix.
      Congrats on the success with your bird and good luck with the warp fix.

Comment

• So regarding my issue with bulging spots on top of wing straight from factory. I got email back from motion and here it is.

They have looked through a few of the planes and they all have that slight distortion. I am sending you a picture. Best guess is it is done during manufacturing since they all have it. Sorry.

So if your looking to buy this plane be warned your going to have the bulges above main gear until you decide to fix it. Utter failure from freewing.

Hi everyone. I am relatively new to EDF’s. I fly large scale aerobatic planes, warbirds and turbines. I wanted something simple to load up and run to the field fir short days. I started with the 8S F4 which I loved. Took 10 flights to get use to landing consistently well and I lost the plane last week after 98 flights. I had no control of the plane but not 100% sure exactly what happened but I believe it was the wire to the BEC from the EC5 connector that it is soldered to, which came apart once before pre flight. It is a very thin wire that comes loose due to the constant connecting and disconnecting and pulling.

I just ordered the T45 and started reviewing this thread. Can you attach a picture of the wing bulges you are referring to in the italicized post above.

Are you all using the 70mm cg that someone mentioned in the thread or the 63 mm recommended in the manual.

Tony

Comment

• Question - The kit I’m looking at comes with this power system - 3672-1900kV Brushless in runner. Thoughts? Good?

tony B

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonybons View Post
            So regarding my issue with bulging spots on top of wing straight from factory. I got email back from motion and here it is.

They have looked through a few of the planes and they all have that slight distortion. I am sending you a picture. Best guess is it is done during manufacturing since they all have it. Sorry.

So if your looking to buy this plane be warned your going to have the bulges above main gear until you decide to fix it. Utter failure from freewing.

Hi everyone. I am relatively new to EDF’s. I fly large scale aerobatic planes, warbirds and turbines. I wanted something simple to load up and run to the field fir short days. I started with the 8S F4 which I loved. Took 10 flights to get use to landing consistently well and I lost the plane last week after 98 flights. I had no control of the plane but not 100% sure exactly what happened but I believe it was the wire to the BEC from the EC5 connector that it is soldered to, which came apart once before pre flight. It is a very thin wire that comes loose due to the constant connecting and disconnecting and pulling.

I just ordered the T45 and started reviewing this thread. Can you attach a picture of the wing bulges you are referring to in the italicized post above.

Are you all using the 70mm cg that someone mentioned in the thread or the 63 mm recommended in the manual.

Tony
            This picture was taken the moment I assembled the plane.
            I can tell you that it looks horrible. I did my maiden this past weekend and even with 2 greased landings the top of wing has developed a small crack from left to right. There just is not enough foam above the gear mounting blocks to keep from cracking. After the second flight when I noticed the crack I wanted to see how much force was required to open it up. I pushed the wing down on the main gear and it opened up enough for me to apply some gorilla glue. I than tied a cord from main gear to nose gear to apply forward force on main to close crack. Not sure how long till it opens again since there really is no structural support front to back.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	BC87A4E6-979D-4976-A2CB-9680CBC86003.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	292423

Comment

• Thank you. My phantom had similar stress cracks but never opened.

Tony

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                So need some help please, what will work better in this model; the new 9B 6S EDF 1900kv inrunners or the 12B 8S EDF. Both are Freewing EDFs
                I just ordered the 12B 6s 4068-1835kv motor. The 12B sounds much better and i believe performs better too. I flew with the stock 12B and it sounded great, just flew a little heavy. I installed the 9B 1900kv EDF after pulling it from my F-18 and it had a noticeable wine sound. Power seemed less too, but that could've been a bad battery. It's already a heavy bird, so i didn't want to add more weight from and 8s setup. I think the 12B 6s 1835kv motor is the best compromise. I'll let ya'll know how it flies after i get it installed.

Comment

• I flew mine with the 1835 as well, little more heavier but I think it's worth it, sounds great too, the climb out seems to be where you notice the more thrust, little more on the top speed as well.

Comment

• So I installed the 9B 1900Kv 6S system in this jet and I really like the performance. Thrust to weight is perfect with almost unlimited vertical. Flew it off grass and worked great. I am glad I did not go with the 8S setup as this plane already has pretty good wing loading. My only issue was the warped wing and giving to trim out the roll to the right at maiden.

Comment

So I installed the 9B 1900Kv 6S system in this jet and I really like the performance. Thrust to weight is perfect with almost unlimited vertical. Flew it off grass and worked great. I am glad I did not go with the 8S setup as this plane already has pretty good wing loading. My only issue was the warped wing and giving to trim out the roll to the right at maiden.
                      Poor molding is the likely culprit of the port roll especially if you've got all your control surfaces perfectly balanced and flush. The same thing happened with one of my Blue Angel F18 iterations where the left wing was slightly warped from the factory and caused it to roll. I have since replaced that wing, which has reduced unnecessary drag on the air frame.

Turn your plane on, put it on a level surface, and see how much aileron deflection you have when the plane's at it's straight and level rest. Then look at the flaps and elevators to see if they are properly aligned and not the cause of the right wing roll. If they are not aligned, then a minor adjustment in the opposite direction could counter the roll and likely reduce drag and increase airspeed and flight time due to increased efficiency.

I'm glad you're enjoying the 9B 1900kv motor. After 20+ flights on the stock 12B system and then switching to the 9B I noticed a distinct change in the jet woosh sound when at 50%+ throttle. That sound really made me love the T45, so much so that I just spent $167 for the 12B 1835kv motor. As I mentioned earlier, I'll let you know how the update goes. The motor will be here this Sunday. I have had this plane since November of 2019 and I'm finally doing some much needed updates and repairs. Other than the motor I'm also installing all new V2 landing gear due to my the pistons on my current gear having a bit of a gritty grindy travel to them even after cleaning them out from multiple grass field and paved surface takeoffs. The nose gear is the main problem, the mains actually work well. I love this bird.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Yep, gotta love the sound of the 1835, the woooosh is really worth it, I liked it so much I put one in the F16, F-15, F4, T45, and the F-22, ,.......

Comment

Maiden report: I have to say with the setup I have now this plane is a great flying model. I now have ~15 flights on it and its a keeper!
                          However, the very first maiden flight was a bit scary as the model rolls to the right (port side). I had to compensate/trim with ailerons quite a bit to arrest the roll. Did anyone else have this issue? It seems the wings are warped - this could a mold issue. My setup now:

- My CG is at 70mm (book CG is 63mm)
                          - No Elevator/Flap compensation, at the correct speeds this plane does not need any correction
                          - I have slats deploying when flaps are at full. This really works well during landings for a nice, slow approach.

The T-45 will be in my hangar for a while - love it!
                          Your T-45 sure flew great last Sunday Paul.

Comment

• My wife is buying me one of these for my birthday , having considered the T45 for some time.
                            Quick question for anyone still monitoring this thread and still flying their model: Are the air brakes useful or would it benefit if the applicable servos are removed to save weight?

Thank you anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_WaterGuy View Post
                              My wife is buying me one of these for my birthday , having considered the T45 for some time.
                              Quick question for anyone still monitoring this thread and still flying their model: Are the air brakes useful or would it benefit if the applicable servos are removed to save weight?

Thank you anyone.
                              Hey Chris, welcome aboard! I think the T-45 flies a little heavier than some of the other offerings from MRC, so anything you can do to lighten it up certainly won’t hurt. I personally enjoy having the speed brakes on mine, and deploy them after touch down on my clubs paved runway. Not sure it does much, but fun just the same. I have removed the slat servos and glued the slats in the up position. That saved weight, and I don’t think the plane flies much differently without them. I’m sure others may disagree with that. If I were you, I’d leave it all stock initially, and see what you think before modifying it. You will enjoy the T-45!

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

Hey Chris, welcome aboard! I think the T-45 flies a little heavier than some of the other offerings from MRC, so anything you can do to lighten it up certainly won’t hurt. I personally enjoy having the speed brakes on mine, and deploy them after touch down on my clubs paved runway. Not sure it does much, but fun just the same. I have removed the slat servos and glued the slats in the up position. That saved weight, and I don’t think the plane flies much differently without them. I’m sure others may disagree with that. If I were you, I’d leave it all stock initially, and see what you think before modifying it. You will enjoy the T-45!
                                Hi EA-6B Geek,
                                Thanks for the advice and having now read this thread end to end I will leave it as stock for the time being.
                                My greatest concern was getting it off our grass strip, particularly when damp although my FW Avanti-S & FW Hawk T1 have no problem (both 6S, but lighter).
                                Here in the UK we can't resume flying until the end of this month at the earliest due to Covid restrictions (quite rightly), but hopefully by then the ground will be a little drier and weather better for first flights . I'll try to post thoughts and possibly a Video if anyone is interested.

Comment

• Hello all

i just bought myself a seccond hand Freewing T-45 90mm with the old outrunner motor in her and i was questioning if this setup would get her of the grass? If not what would be the best upgrade EDF/Motor for this? Also should i go 6s or even 8s? And what size pack will fit in her to get a decent flight time out of her? 3,5/4minutes at least.

kind regards

Didier Neefe

Comment

• You will have better luck taking off short/freshly cut grass using flaps and 8S. There is plenty of space to accommodate the battery. 6000mAH should be good, considering you won't have to be at high/full throttle all the time.

Comment

• I received my blue-tape box today and put the bird together. Everything went fairly well except that I discovered that the flap hinges were glued in very poorly. On one side, 2 of the three flap hinges were not glued, and on the other side the center hinge was pushed in too far. so the entire flap was warped. I was able to pull the hinges out and re-glue them, and I realigned everything without any problem. Looks good.

Anyone else run into this?
                                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by sneaky_snoeper View Post
                                        Hello all

i just bought myself a seccond hand Freewing T-45 90mm with the old outrunner motor in her and i was questioning if this setup would get her of the grass? If not what would be the best upgrade EDF/Motor for this? Also should i go 6s or even 8s? And what size pack will fit in her to get a decent flight time out of her? 3,5/4minutes at least.

kind regards

Didier Neefe
                                        Hi, I found that this 6s 9-blade power system with a 6000 battery works best on this model https://www.motionrc.com/collections...inrunner-motor

I fly off grass and no issues. The new 9-bl EDF is lighter and the weight to thrust ratio is perfect for this model.

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                                          I received my blue-tape box today and put the bird together. Everything went fairly well except that I discovered that the flap hinges were glued in very poorly. On one side, 2 of the three flap hinges were not glued, and on the other side the center hinge was pushed in too far. so the entire flap was warped. I was able to pull the hinges out and re-glue them, and I realigned everything without any problem. Looks good.

Anyone else run into this?
                                          Built mine earlier this month, but yet to Maiden due to lock down over here and weather (but hopefully soon). I can't say I had a problem with any of the control surfaces and I did give each a good tug, but will re-check. Thanks for bringing it up. I had an 8-S HK/Taft Cobra which went in when one of the flaps came 'unstuck' after deploying for landing!

Comment

Working...
                                          X