Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
    PM sent

I have mine set up so that I use flaps and slats for landing. She will fly nice and slow with a little power and nose high. The mistake I see most is that people rotate way too high when landing. Getting any swept wing bird slow with high alpha is a recipe for a bad day. Just chop power to like 25%, extend flaps, slats, gear, and let the nose drop. Then rotate at about 1.5M high. Land by reducing throttle. If it looks like you are landing too far out, add a little throttle. Remember, throttle for rate, pitch for speed. If it looks bad, add power, flaps to takeoff setting, gear up and do it again.

I have takeoff flaps set with no slats to reduce drag as I am accelerating. My airbrakes are on the spring-return switch so that all I have to do to close them is let go of the switch.

Actually I am going to do a video of how I set up my programming on the T-45 along with the rationale for doing so. I will also do a flight video if this weather ever clears up around here. I'm weathered-in at the moment.

The simulator should help you a lot. But I still suggest you get something like an 80mm jet to practice with. Believe it or not the 1400mm T-28 from FMS flies the landing approach very much like the T-45. It also handles at speed more like a jet. Personally I recommend it as a jet trainer based on my own experience. But in the end it's up to you. The best jet trainer is a jet of course.

Good luck sir! Show us photos or videos of your maiden voyage.
    Hi. I know your post is from a while back but do you recall how many degrees of flaps you used with your stats fir handing.

Tonybons

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonybons View Post

Hi. I know your post is from a while back but do you recall how many degrees of flaps you used with your stats fir handing.

Tonybons
      seaviper, Also, do you have a link to the setup video you did please ? I’m still waiting for the opportunity to test fly my T45. Thanks

Comment

• After roughly 2 years since I lost my first T-45, I decided to get another one. The upgraded motor for sure brings this bird to life. The maiden flight was done in less then favorable conditions but she handled it with no problems. I had the same trim issue that’s been mentioned before. On take off it rolled right, had to add almost all the left trim available. Second flight I ended up adjusting the elevators, half turn in on the right half and half turn out on the left side, aileron trim was almost fixed after that. All throws were set up as per manual and CG around 70mm (63mm book) for the initial flight. Even at 70mm the CG needed to be shifted further back. I’m now @ 73mm back from the air scoops. My 6s batteries weight around @750 grams and they are almost all the way back.

From Friday. Miserable, foggy, breezy morning. But we were out hoping to fly. Bill Surratt, Bill Grozdanich, Phillip Everman, Andrew Obaya, Curtis Chambers, Mike, and Juan. We mostly just sat around...

Comment

• Hey guys. I purchased the T45 last Thurs. and received it Sat. Thank you for the speedy delivery FedEx.
          So I assembled it late Sat and saw a couple hinges weren't glued in well. I Re glued them and started adjusting the control rods with the plane on and noticed the servo arms weren't centered so centered those. Kind of a PITA to do but oh well.
          Sunday AM I powered up the T45 to check control direction and set my throws. When deploying the slats they would deploy ok but on the right wing the slat would bind when retracted. What would cause a slat to bind? Is there a way to lubricate them?
          I really like this jet and want to have a good time flying it but don't want a slat hanging out in the breeze.
          Any suggestions for a fix?

Tom

Comment

• You should upload a video, because I can't tell from your description what's binding... motor, friction b/w slat and wing, etc. It could be a number of things. I'lve had mine since the fall of 2019 and haven't had that problem. However, I have replaced a wing before and removed all servos a couple times for repairs/maintenance, so I'm a tad familiar with the mechanics of the slats. My recommendation is for you to disconnect the slat controller/servo from the slats (must be extended for you to do so) and then cycle the servos/controller to see if they're binding. Also, when the slats are disconnected from the slat controller, they move freely without bind or restriction. Pinpointing the exact point of bind will help in getting you a solution.

Comment

• delete

Comment

• I've wrestled with my slats as well.... First I noticed that the main flaps were slightly warped and that was because the center hinge was glued in too deeply. And one one of the flaps, two hinges weren't glued in well at all. So I removed all the flap hinges (they can be pulled out because the glue is slightly flexible) and then I re-installed them, being careful to align all 3 hinges correctly and the flap ended up being straight.

The slats had a similar problem - I noticed that one side was binding slightly when retracted. There are two activators and three hinges on each slat. All five points need to be lined up perfectly! As DougCarr73 said, disconnect the two actuator servos from the slat (they are attached with a single screw), then you can move the slat freely and carefully inspect the hinges and how they are installed. By closely examining it I could see that they weren't all aligned properly, so the slat was being pulled in different directions. On the one slat with the problem, I found that two of the three hinges were not aligned correctly -they were glued into the wing too far back so that when the slat was retracted, they were pulling on the slat. I ended up pulling those two hinges out and making a small adjustment - the one closest to the leading edge moved forward about 1/8 of an inch and the one near the wingtip got moved forward about 1/16 of an inch. It was a very small adjustment, but afterwards the slat was aligned correctly and then it worked properly.

Unfortunately there is no way to adjust the throw on the actuators, and its almost impossible to move them (they are screwed down in their mounts).

I have a friend who also has a T45 and his slats were perfect. But his flaps were misaligned just like mine.

I think the slats are an amazing feature. I am still getting used to how they affect the model. They mainly seem to create extra drag that helps the model slow down... but more flights are needed!
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Dougcarr73 View Post
                  You should upload a video, because I can't tell from your description what's binding... motor, friction b/w slat and wing, etc. It could be a number of things. I'lve had mine since the fall of 2019 and haven't had that problem. However, I have replaced a wing before and removed all servos a couple times for repairs/maintenance, so I'm a tad familiar with the mechanics of the slats. My recommendation is for you to disconnect the slat controller/servo from the slats (must be extended for you to do so) and then cycle the servos/controller to see if they're binding. Also, when the slats are disconnected from the slat controller, they move freely without bind or restriction. Pinpointing the exact point of bind will help in getting you a solution.
                  I'd like to get it sorted so we can formation fly ours this Sat. at CSRA.

Tom

Comment

• Powered up the T45 yesterday and the slats are not binding?
                    Weird.

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post
                      Powered up the T45 yesterday and the slats are not binding?
                      Weird.

Tom
                      Great! This weekend is looking pretty rough for flying, but today at 5pm Paul & I will be at the field to about 7:30pm. I'll be getting in some high alpha w/ my F16 and burn about 8 packs (4 flights) on my Freewing A-10. Come down w/ your T-45 if you want to get a maiden in and if you need someone (me of course) to test fly it for you. hehe

Comment

• Somebody know when comeback on stock parts to repair the nose landing gear???

Comment

• anyone convert their T-45 to 8S?

im going to pull out the 6s setup and put the f22 8s setup in mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dany View Post
                            Somebody know when comeback on stock parts to repair the nose landing gear???
                            they are back in stock. got the notice email and ordered one today.

Comment

• Any recomendation about the best battery for my T45? I have HRB 5000 6s but after 2 years dive the performance.
                              thanks.

Comment

• Hi there, I recently replaced the control board in mine and had to buy the V2 T45 MCBE . I then realised it has a 10 wire ribbon as opposed to my V1's 9 wire ribbon so also bought the V2 wing boards..
                                What I want to ask is , what is the servo and light connection order on the wing board ? It isn't labelled like the older one.

Thanks for any help,Allan.

Comment

• Perhaps if you provide pictures (front & back)?

Comment

• hey - the replacement wing set is back in stock and I just got mine yesterday. I thought I would report, the color is exactly the same off-white (creamy) color of the original, so its perfect. yay!
                                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• I ordered a new wing set as well but my new ones are too yellow. After getting the paint matched at Home Depot I got them pretty darn close.
                                      Mudduck: Would you be able to tell me the order of the servos on the board on the wings?

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post
                                        I ordered a new wing set as well but my new ones are too yellow. After getting the paint matched at Home Depot I got them pretty darn close.
                                        Mudduck: Would you be able to tell me the order of the servos on the board on the wings?
                                        Well that's interesting, a bit surprising that the colors are off since the replacement wings are new. Maybe its just that your plane is whiter than mine (my T45 is older, from the first batch), so the new wings might look more yellow!!

I found the AL37 has the exact same shade of off-white as my T45. So the matched paint I got from the Depot for my AL37 worked perfectly.

Anyway.... I would have to take my bird apart to see the way the plugs are set up. I was planning on waiting until I mess up my wings again (I've repaired the original wings and repainted them, so they are OK at the moment). So what I would suggest is to plug the servos in, then attach the connector to the blue box and test it. In a few tries you should be able to get it sorted out fairly easily. I know that's not as easy as having the "key" - sorry about that!

Comment

• whats the average flight time on a 5000mah battery?

Comment

Working...
                                          X