X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 90mm EDF Stinger 90 Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the Freewing 90mm EDF Stinger 90. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this iconic aircraft.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Stinger 90
    Opening the box
    Like normal it was well received in a nice outer brown box and a nice internal marking box.
    All parts in their usual plastic bags and even a foam divider from the wing and fuse.
    The build
    The manual was actually very nice to me. Very well laid out and has the freewing typical exploded views of how to assemble everything.
    You start out with putting the wing together consisting of 2 carbon rods one forward and one AFT. Then there are to tabs slide them together and use 2 screws to secure the wings together. Then Use 4 wing bolts to secure the wing to the fuse. The horizontal tail uses 2 long screws in the front followed by 2 shorter screws in the AFT. (mine one of the servo extensions was inside the fuse. I was able to use small pair of needle nose pliers to retrieve) hook up both elevator to the extension wires. The vertical fin uses 4 screws and plastic piece that is a v shape that goes in the front as a kipper with 2 screws on each side. In the AFT area it has 1 tab on both sides and a screw. Make sure you plugged into the extension first. I used a ar610 spectrum receiver we say to use a 7 channel if you want to have more steering for the nose gear. I find it to be adquit for my usage.
    My setup in the radio
    Dual rates
    Elevator, ailerons and rudder are all identical
    Low 50 expo 30-50
    Med 72 expo 30-50
    High 100 expo 30-50
    Flaps
    Put the flap servo speed to 4-5 second delay
    Take off flaps 30% up elevator 10% up
    Landing 45-50% up elevator 15% up
    The idea is to not have to use any up elevator on landings. You want to come in high alpha at a 45 degree attitude. You only need to use throttle and ailerons possible rudder but not elevator until you flair. If you start falling use throttle if you rise decrease throttle that simple.
    Flight
    Now I use blacktop now but this jet will come off grass with no problems. My maidens I never use flaps just to be safe. On the take off roll absolutely smooth straight and came off the ground with out having to give up a matter of fact. Their was no bad tendencies to want to do anything bad. I used 14 clicks of down elevator and 10 clicks of left ailerons for trimming this out not bad. Flights at full speed its out of sight. Do a low pass and pull straight up while rolling it is endless. Qubin 8's does not break a sweat. Slow flight is around 1/4 throttle and just as smooth as rails. Tip stalls are very mild and will even come out on its own with enough altitude of course. Setting up for landings is truly sweet with only having to use half flaps she settles right down and will stick to the runway like glue.
    OVERALL
    This jet is one I thought about over for 2+ years and just never did it because its not scale BOY WAS I WRONG! This jet is the best flying jet I really can think of at this moment. I like the F-14 and that flies very well too , but the stinger 90 has become my favorite at this point. It a jet that I loved after take off it just molds to you. I have heard of so many others who said it was great well my friends it is a champion to me. If you get one you will as well. One thing to note is you can actually turn the motor off and float it in at 100 feet. I am trying to think of some bad issues with it and I have nothing to find yet we will see.
    Get yours today at MOTIONRC!!!!

Comment

Man, great write up! It's a lot of fun to hear about people really enjoying a new airplane. Makes me want one too!!

Comment

My Stinger90 is one of the best flying, stable AC I have ever owned. Yes, it will float in power off on landing.

Comment

Hi guys

Thanks guys for the responding to me on this great plane. Glade to see that people are reading my reviews. This jet may be not replica of a scale jet, but it is one of the best jets I own currently. I really mean this if you our anyone else is on the side line about it buy it you will think me latter.

Brad

Comment

I striped all the added weight from my Stinger 90 and made it into a belly lander. I used a few pieces of a 1/4in thick plastic cutting board and cut small skids for it to land on as well as taking off from asphalt.

Comment

Great write up and easy to understand. Had a bit of a problem programming the flaps with the DX18, but once I figured out how to assign channels and switches, I got it done. I can't get the throttle working, though. Using a 6-channel receiver, I plugged the ESC into the throttle port. But I see there is a servo lead labeled "Throttle". If I plug that into the Throttle port, there's no place to plug in the ESC. Unless I use the Bind port for something after I bind the receiver to the radio. Any thoughts? Should I have just gone with a 7-channel receiver?

Comment

I love how it flies but hate how it looks!!! The write up is spot on for how it flew for me and very descriptive! I just want them to make it in another scheme! It is one of the ugliest planes made in my opinion! It is a flying orca!
                Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

RCBobP.........I run a Futaba 617rx and run out of ports, I just use a Y harness on another channel and plug the ESC into that. The throttle servo lead will have to go into the throttle port I would think, of course I'm not a Spectrum user so maybe I shouldn't say much.

Gooniac33, I agree with you, haven't bought a Stinger yet and don't plan too, it looks like a great performer but wow is it ugly.

Comment

Myself the the flight characteristics this plane has out number the negatives OH wait negatives on this plane um um lets take a look. can it come of grass um OH YEA! Is it stable UM HECK YES! Is it smooth and predictable UM HECK YES! Lands easie OOOOOOO YEA! Good flight times OOOOOOOOOOH YEA 5 minutes full throttle. So now the bad reports on this UM Um Um Uh Nothing to report here but the music of a cricket. People at air shows will be its unique I would not own this and once I fly it every ones mouth is wide open I have to give them a towel. Guys I really mean this this jet is not to be ignored I do not have a jet in my hanger that can compete with it. Now that the Avanti 80 mm is due to us in April its the only one that can compete with it for sure. You can have your F-16-15-14 I will out perform them in all aspects in flight and especially landings. This plane virtually lands itself. So Bad things about this I have none worth to mention. STINGER 90 OH BOY!! OH BOY!! come get some!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bradl4648 View Post
                      Myself the the flight characteristics this plane has out number the negatives OH wait negatives on this plane um um lets take a look. can it come of grass um OH YEA! Is it stable UM HECK YES! Is it smooth and predictable UM HECK YES! Lands easie OOOOOOO YEA! Good flight times OOOOOOOOOOH YEA 5 minutes full throttle. So now the bad reports on this UM Um Um Uh Nothing to report here but the music of a cricket. People at air shows will be its unique I would not own this and once I fly it every ones mouth is wide open I have to give them a towel. Guys I really mean this this jet is not to be ignored I do not have a jet in my hanger that can compete with it. Now that the Avanti 80 mm is due to us in April its the only one that can compete with it for sure. You can have your F-16-15-14 I will out perform them in all aspects in flight and especially landings. This plane virtually lands itself. So Bad things about this I have none worth to mention. STINGER 90 OH BOY!! OH BOY!! come get some!! LOL
                      I agree 100% with this I do not think there is a plane that can touch the stinger 90 in how it flys and lands. Just a great plane all around

Comment

The Stinger 90 is hands down one of the best all around performing planes for the price point that Freewing has ever released....so far :D ;). If you haven't flown one, it's hard to appreciate what everyone is saying. Once you fly it, you'll immediately understand.

Comment

I finally caved and bought the Stinger 90. Never have been much on its looks but it kinda grows on ya. I had a JP 8S fan sitting around needing a home so decided to give it a try. I hope to maiden it tomorrow. Between work and crummy weather it has been kept down for a week now since I got it. Looking forward to experiencing all the hype for myself.

Comment

Good luck RCj! I think you'll love it. It can be flown how ever you'd like it to, mellow or more ballistic.

Comment

Wow 8''s on the stinger 90 hold on to your shorts a road of fire is going to be left on the tarmac. I would think the speed will be around 135-140 ish no problem. GOOD LUCK and video tape this I would love to see this perform on 8's for sure!!

Comment

Thanks. I may not get the maiden on video as it is often hard to find someone skilled enough to do it but I will report back for sure.

Comment

WOW! What a sweetheart! Got in two flights today in spite of about 10-15 mph cross winds. It flew perfectly requiring no trim. Not even with flaps deployed. On 8S it has incredible verticle. Has a very short take-off roll compared to other jets I have flown and slows down well if you need it to. Fast? Jeeze Louise! Was I nervous? Not really, it felt pretty comfortable overall. The weather is supposed to turn cold here again so I will have to wait to fly it again. I tried on the video but it didn't work out.

Comment

Nice job and congrats! It's virtually impossible not to love how that jet flies.

Comment

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, Hope I get a good one, I've read some of the reviews about bad escs, servos,etc. I have one of those 3 color Dr. mad thrust afterburner rings to put on it....should be a lot of fun. Are you guys going with the recommended rates as per the manual ? Is it pitch or roll sensitive ? All my current jets are 70mm. This will be my first 90mm.....just wondering what to expect since I usually end up dialing down the rates on my other edfs.

Comment

Yea you will love this jet its the best jet I own by far. Now that we have the Avanti coming out in the 80 mm those 2 planes I will suggest to anyone. set your rates up at low 50 % med 72 high 100% and expo on all 35-50% I like 50% myself. Happy flying and you will need a rag for the drooling!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X