X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 70mm Twin Me 262 Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the Freewing 70mm Twin Me 262. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this iconic aircraft.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Hello Pilots, For about one month now I've been flying the Messerschmitt 262. I'll say this, if Hitler had been a patient man; we'd be speaking German...I hope not! Just a theory, but I can truly imagine what a B-17 pilots must have thought. Seeing one of these for the first time, it would be like seeing a UFO. If you watched a Rocket from NASA take-off, being there is far more understanding then seeing it on TV. It's life changing, that we posses that kind of power. So, when Alfred Schreiber shot and only damaged a Mosquito reconnaissance aircraft, I wonder if he just damaged that airplane for shock and awe. He must have been laughing as he blew by them with twin jets at full throttle. Hoping they would return to the F.O.B and report and alien visitation. Moving forward, the Freewing ME-262 fly's excellent. I was giggling like a 10 year old the first time I flew mine. The new found power and assessment; they finally got it right! After 4 minutes I applied the flaps, full flaps and she glided into a perfect three point landing in the grass. Not bad, for a gringo! Now I'm an official EDF pilot, felt good to finally take that jet off the rack. For about a month now, it's been my favorite airplane to fly. So, if your contemplating buying this aircraft, I give a 100% go for it. Even though your not in the cockpit in a WWII battle, it's nice to think one can be apart or remember someone who did.

Matt

Comment

Re: Freewing ME 262 The first Jet of WWII

Starcop,
      The 262 is also my favorite EDF, and as Rich Baker says, "Its the best flying EDF out there". I have dozens of flights on mine with very docile and predictable flying characteristics but one does need to heed to Its slow flight envelope and to the difficulty in flying out of a stall, ( you better have plenty of altitude ).
      The cg seems dead on with a 5000 pack strapped all the way forward. The only incident I had with mine was on takeoff I rotated and it instantly pitched up and started to go inverted. I had never had a problem before and was very surprised to say the least. Inspection of all control surfaces found all to be intact, but noticed the Bat pack was strapped about 1" back from the front firewall. Subsequent repairs made and numerous flights later have never experienced this again. The only logical cause would be due to the cg too far aft. I normally mark the bat bay in all my birds for placement of the lipo, but had not in the 262, I was flying 4 birds that day, and likely just mistaken the cg.

The 262 is one of the best EDF's on the market, but just make sure you understand Its flying characteristics re slow flight stalls and cg.
      CT

Comment

Starcop,
        Thanks, I will try a 6000 Bat. in the 262 and SU-35. I am at sea level, so it should have a noticeable increase and duration. By the way, how does the SU-35 fly? I just maidened mine and w/o flaps notice landing speed is pretty hot, does this bird have a decent slow flight envelope?
        CT

Comment

My Su 35 does not have flaps. I do NOT use TV on landings. I will say that the landings are a slow affair I have my CofG another 10mm aft of that shown on the plans. I can land nose high as a result of the LE cuffs (extensions) (AKA; LEX). Again I use about 20% power on landing. If I get the nose a bit too high all she does is rock a bit like a delta wing would.

Now my landing style is NOT a dive for the runway and hope I flair out before I hit the ground. I make long flat slow power on approaches. I then cut back the power and pull the nose up as she slows down. If I have the right balance of power I run out of elevator as the mains touch the ground. I have landed with too much power and hit the tail pipe before the mains!

See my posted review under the Su 35 for some more details on my set up.

Remember that the CofG posted in the instruction are for the first few trim flights. Once the model is somewhat trimmed push back the CofG to realize the full potential of the model.

Comment

Hello CT, I noticed that with Thrust Vectoring you can really bring this Jet in slow. I've always used thrust vectoring when I fly, so I'm not sure of the speed has I not used it. I does have a lot of straight line speed, so I'll have to experiment soon to see what it does. I now have a road or black top runway, I've been landing in the grass for years now. It's a whole new ball-game on the road, it takes a lot of time to slow down. I do have to say, these EDF Jets are a blast to fly! I'm really enjoying the new found fun. Thank you all for the information and your experiences, I love to hear about the characteristics to watch out for. I've seen a couple videos of guys who tail spin into the ground, I thought; how the heck does that happen? Well, it's all aeronautics and understanding wing load and conditions. Not sitting in the seat, you don't have that under your Butt experience. So, any new information is great with all these new Jets. I now have the Freewing F-86 Sabre 80MM. SU-35 Twin 70MM, F/A 18E Hornet Ver. 2 90MM. ME-262 Twin 70MM and the YF-23 Twin 70MM. Much more to come!

Matthew
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello Konrad, Oh, I meant "Finally got it right", because in the past, these new EDF fans had little to just enough power to push the jet. Not all of them were bad, just some. At least from my wallets stand point, now that I'm in the RC industry working for Motion RC in customer service. I get first hand experience owning and flying all the "New EDF Jets". Also, I get to hear and see all the new stuff in the works! I'll say this, keep your eye's peeled for 2015, holy cow, we are going to have some Awesome Jets!

Matt

Comment

Matt, I'm not sure how far back you are going. I've had a lot of success with the old Robbe Rojet fans in the Robbe BAE 146 and Robbe Gnat. This was back in the days of round cells. Now true, there was a huge performance jump with the introduction of the WeMoTec fans and Lipo batteries.

As you are an employee I'd like to ask you to push for larger batteries. This is the one component that I have to go elsewhere to source. I like that MotionRC has many of the upgrade components I use, like the ZTW ESCs and Castle creation SBECs. With the addition of larger batteries MotionRC would become my one stop shopping center.

I too fly SU 35 with TV. I just find that I don't get the fine attitude control I want during landings with TV on. I may need a more advanced radio to tailer the TV mix.

I noticed that the SU-35 has about 80% the speed of the Me 262 yet needs about 30% more power (has a much shorter flight time).

All the best,
                Konrad

Comment

Hello Konrad, Thank you for all your great information. I enjoy reading your input, very informative and is well thought out. I'll talk to the owners for you about larger batteries, I'm assuming the 8S to 12S batteries. The only thing I can for-see is they might be concerned about customers using them inappropriately. There's always someone who thinks they can get "more Power" without concern of others safety. I'd hope people think before installing a larger cell lipo in a 6S lipo designed airframe. Loss of control with an EDF Jet is a missile that can damage property of worse.

Cheers, Matt

Comment

I'd like to see larger capacity (mAh) cells, maybe 6000 mAh or 7000mAh cells. (Am I correct that the Admiral 5000 mAh is the largest cell MotionRC sells?) With the product line MotionRC carries I too see little need to up the cell count past 6 cells.

If the customer wants to go with a higher voltage lower current draw system this is beyond the scope of what MotionRC deals with. This usually means new motors, ESC and SBEC. Kind of defeats the point of the plug and play philosophy of foam even if staying within the same power constraints that the airframe was designed .

All the best,
                    Konrad

Comment

We are now getting into the Heli market and the KDS 7.2 uses the 6s batteries, you can always run in series to increase the juice, but watch your ESC and motors to be sure they can handle it. I can not offer any recommendations as to how you do that, that is solely on the customer.

Comment

True, but balance often becomes an issue with the limited space in the fuselage to use 'parallel' packs.

I don't think we really need higher voltage packs (6+s) for the 70mm twins fans or the 80mm fans. But larger capacity cells would be much appreciated (higher mAh ratings).

I'm using 4800 mAh cells in my 8 cell Trex 600. This was a nominal 6 cell heli. I upped the cell count and lowered the current draw to gain duration yet maintain the power (watts= V x I) needed to perform, within the limits of the airframe.

So are you going to offer larger 6 cell batteries than 5000 mAh for the KDS7.2?

All the best,
                        Konrad

Comment

Here is a short video of the Me 262 at 5k to 6k feet altitude (Denver area). Sorry for the small dot on the screen this was taken with an old I-phone. This was only the second flight. The pilot wasn't comfortable yet, still hadn't tested for warps or cross trims. As you can tell the CofG is still too far forward.

it will only waste a few minutes of your life.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGhHF7Ow7o&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

All the best,
                          Konrad

Comment

That sure looks like a nice field your club has, although Im sure you have plenty of downtime during Winter in the Denver area. Also fun to see all the different fields and beautiful countryside from other pilots submitted vids, Keep em coming
                            CT

Comment

Actually it only snows when there is a nationally televised game <smiley image="smiley_what.gif"/>. Winter is a great time for edf as the colder denser air makes for better thrust (lower altitude density) kind of like at sea level.

All the best,
                              Konrad

P.S.
                              I was a guest at the Arvada field. My home flying spot is in the San Francisco area.

This is a problem with MotionRC in that they will not allow me to ship to my family home in Denver and send the bill to my home in SF. I have to have my dad buy my toys when I visit (really a stupid situation). In the case of the Me 262 my long time friend Matt had to make the MotionRC order. He was also the pilot in that video. I was the peanut gallery.

Comment

Hello Konrad, Wow, that looks like a great field to fly at. Not too crowded and lots of runway. I'd love to get out of the grass, maybe one day. I did find a road that's wide enough, I'll see if I can get some video work completed.

Cheers. Matt

Comment

"Crowded"
                                  Another benefit that often isn't mentioned is that when flying these Freewing twin 70mm fan models the 'guys' all seem to want to land and watch the model fly. I constantly get requests to wait, while the guys land their planes. Once the air is clear I then take off with the whole sky to myself!<smiley image="smiley_beam.gif"/>

Comment

Love this jet. I need to get another one.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

As soon as MRC gets the new upgraded motors/fans in stock, I'll be upgrading my current one from 6-blades to 12-blades!
                                      Pat

Comment

Originally posted by starcop View Post

Hello CT, I noticed that with Thrust Vectoring you can really bring this Jet in slow. I've always used thrust vectoring when I fly, so I'm not sure of the speed has I not used it. I does have a lot of straight line speed, so I'll have to experiment soon to see what it does. I now have a road or black top runway, I've been landing in the grass for years now. It's a whole new ball-game on the road, it takes a lot of time to slow down. I do have to say, these EDF Jets are a blast to fly! I'm really enjoying the new found fun. Thank you all for the information and your experiences, I love to hear about the characteristics to watch out for. I've seen a couple videos of guys who tail spin into the ground, I thought; how the heck does that happen? Well, it's all aeronautics and understanding wing load and conditions. Not sitting in the seat, you don't have that under your Butt experience. So, any new information is great with all these new Jets. I now have the Freewing F-86 Sabre 80MM. SU-35 Twin 70MM, F/A 18E Hornet Ver. 2 90MM. ME-262 Twin 70MM and the YF-23 Twin 70MM. Much more to come!

Matthew
                                        Is that an LX single 70 F-35? Looks pretty nice! I forgot about that one.

Freewing needs to make a nice 80mm version of that with nice gear... That'd be great!

Comment

Working...
                                        X