Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 70mm Twin Me 262 Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks great!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Maiden flight! Always exciting! So I had the cg set up 100 mm from the leading edge (closest to fuselage), and that was FAR too nose-heavy. You can see my plane dip down in the first downwind and rise back up. That was just me adding TONS of up trim. Other than that, I literally had 0 trim input for everything else. Literally. First impressions: Wow! Just. Incredible. It flies on rails, and other than a slight yaw wobble (slight breeze and no gyro), it is perfect. Flies perfectly straight, and rolls beautifully around the z axis. Pitches into great arcs and turns can easily keep/gain altitude. It is incredibly quick, and if you don’t increase throttle gradually on take off, the tail will hit the ground. I didn’t do a full stall during the flight, and it showed. On landing, the 262 can go quite slow with full flaps. Suspiciously slow. It likes to stall flat and would just drop. Combine that with waaaaay too nose-heavy and that caused my landing to be crud. I should’ve kept my speed up. But hey, now I know. After this flight, my brother and I did a dogfight with him in his P-51, and me in my 262. Even better, his P-51 is 1/8.4 scale, and the 262 is 1/9.4, so pretty close! It was incredible. All in all, the Freewing Me-262 Schwalbe is a winner. It won’t take long for me to master it. When I got home, I had to do some touch up work and I realized I could airbrush the whole plastic part on the nacelles, and then won’t have to worry about the paint not matching with the glossy plastic. After doing so, it looked really good. So I airbrushed over every light blue plastic piece on the belly, then went over it with a matte clear coat. While I was doing that, I also painted the inside of the gear doors aluminum. Love this bird (Edit, I will post my CG and rates after my next time flying)
      Attached Files

Comment

• Nicely done! Congrats on the successful maiden! Don't worry about the landing...If it comes back to you in one piece it's a perfect landing!

I haven't had this model (I had the V1 years ago and LOVED it) in a long time but one memory in particular stands out. I was flying it and all was well and suddenly the motors cut out! (If memory serves I think I hit LVC) I panicked thinking she was going to drop out of the sky like a brick! Nope! Quite the opposite in fact. She floated like a glider to a very safe and well-greased landing! I still to this day am so impressed with that. Your enthusiasm for this model makes me want to get one again. It really is the crown jewel of the "Old Gen" Freewing models. Bravo Zulu!
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Aros if you liked the V1, you would have a ball with the V2. It looks better IMHO. The 12-blade fans sound great and really bring this bird to a whole new performance level.

I have sort of a guilty pleasure I enjoy with this bird. After a good climb out and turn to the downwind portion of the pattern, I point the nose slightly down and pull the throttle back to idle. As I let the energy carry it and the motors spool down, there is a resonant howl that sets up in the nacells. Sounds awesome.

Comment

• I also have found that diving down and shutting down as you pass creates that "howl" as you call it. Have never heard it on any other single or twin EDF, have you? It is an eerie attention getter --- mine is a V.2 version. Truth be told this bird checks all the boxes for me; scale looks, scale performance, plenty of power, super smooth to fly. Not many models seem locked to the Tx sticks (hard to explain !) but this one responds as expected every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
              Aros if you liked the V1, you would have a ball with the V2. It looks better IMHO. The 12-blade fans sound great and really bring this bird to a whole new performance level.

I have sort of a guilty pleasure I enjoy with this bird. After a good climb out and turn to the downwind portion of the pattern, I point the nose slightly down and pull the throttle back to idle. As I let the energy carry it and the motors spool down, there is a resonant howl that sets up in the nacells. Sounds awesome.
              Darn you...Here I am trying to SAVE money!
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Aros Just do it buddy, just do it

Comment

• My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Maiden my v2 last Saturday, July 25, 2020.
                    Read about the challenges on take off.
                    Made preparations regarding the recommended nose reinforcement.
                    Was a bit confused on the cg. All the way forward with the Admiral 5000. All the way back with a 7000.
                    Seems to me there could be a lot of room? After watching (among others) rcgeek fly his and while I didn't have a 7000, I used his recommended 110mm cg.
                    This put my Admiral 5000 exactly 1" behind of the nose wall/blukhead.

Take off was a non-event. Pretty scale but then, I'm not one to punch it on t/o rollout. Needed to add a bit of up elevator. Maybe I can move the battery further back? Nevertheless for now, I will work with matching the 110mm with my 6000s.
                    Lot's of power under those wings.

I read about wingtip stall. So went up what I thought was 3 errors high. Maybe it was 2.5. Maybe it was less. But I pulled back on the throttle, gave a little up elevator to hold nose up to stall...
                    Wowsers.....right wing dropped and the spiral of death commenced. Immediately went to full throttle and thankfully was high enough that she pulled out of it, leveled off and I proceeded to check flaps, then did a couple passes to see how she was on final approach. Flew over almost half my runway before landing with a small hop. But nothing to worry bout. Glad I took my morning maiden poop prior to this flight! 🤣🤣

One of the best things about this bird; she looks so much better in person and to see the shape of the fuse! Awesome! Esp considering this is an old offering!
                    I have video on youtube but seems they had a hard time focusing in on her early, so didn't zoom in a bit. Gonna see if I can zoom in then re-upload. I do however appreciate my camera guy's efforts.

Kudos MotionRC and Freewing 👍

Neil

Comment

• Seahawk One Congrats on the maiden! The 262 is a great flying EDF. It's 2nd on my EDF go to list. Coming in just behind the Freewing 80mm A-10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seahawk One View Post
                        Maiden my v2 last Saturday, July 25, 2020.
                        Read about the challenges on take off.
                        Made preparations regarding the recommended nose reinforcement.
                        Was a bit confused on the cg. All the way forward with the Admiral 5000. All the way back with a 7000.
                        Seems to me there could be a lot of room? After watching (among others) rcgeek fly his and while I didn't have a 7000, I used his recommended 110mm cg.
                        This put my Admiral 5000 exactly 1" behind of the nose wall/blukhead.

Take off was a non-event. Pretty scale but then, I'm not one to punch it on t/o rollout. Needed to add a bit of up elevator. Maybe I can move the battery further back? Nevertheless for now, I will work with matching the 110mm with my 6000s.
                        Lot's of power under those wings.

I read about wingtip stall. So went up what I thought was 3 errors high. Maybe it was 2.5. Maybe it was less. But I pulled back on the throttle, gave a little up elevator to hold nose up to stall...
                        Wowsers.....right wing dropped and the spiral of death commenced. Immediately went to full throttle and thankfully was high enough that she pulled out of it, leveled off and I proceeded to check flaps, then did a couple passes to see how she was on final approach. Flew over almost half my runway before landing with a small hop. But nothing to worry bout. Glad I took my morning maiden poop prior to this flight! 🤣🤣

One of the best things about this bird; she looks so much better in person and to see the shape of the fuse! Awesome! Esp considering this is an old offering!
                        I have video on youtube but seems they had a hard time focusing in on her early, so didn't zoom in a bit. Gonna see if I can zoom in then re-upload. I do however appreciate my camera guy's efforts.

Kudos MotionRC and Freewing 👍

Neil
                        My humble advice is to reduce the low rate elevator throw until it won't snap like that anymore with full stick input. Fly it a bit like that and see if it is enough elevator for you, maybe reduce expo a bit. This is a common technique with gliders that also have high aspect ratio's and will snap with too much elevator. Then when you want to snap go to medium or high rates, swoop up into a climb, snap inputs at the Tx, and the Me-262 will do a beautiful and intentional snap roll, just like the real fighters did to throw off opponents. Use those low rates in the takeoff and landing pattern.

Comment

• I would love to give you my surface travels but alas I came here to admit defeat! My wonderful Me-262 bit the dust last Saturday :( This was a V1 that I had remotored a few years back with the V2 fans and 80A CC ESC's. I'll come clean on this one as I think I know what happened. Basically I ran it too hard with an old 6s 5000 pack dated December 2014. In the left turn to final for landing with gear and flaps at about 50' it suddenly started to roll right, of course I called out "I don't have it!" and watched it roll over on its back and go in while holding full left aileron and some rudder. The pack was hotter than a pistol and puffed up big time, cells measured 5-10% no load, but the servos were operating? Then it hit me, the right fan must have stopped while the left continued to run... Oh no! It's a twin! I'll bet if I had chopped the throttle I could have saved it, maybe, but I know I had not done that, I just left the power wherever it was.
                          I guess I'm in the market for some new batteries! This was my first EDF foamy and I have never lost one of these to a dead battery before, bummer!

Comment

• From this morning:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3726.JPG
Views:	702
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	272044Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3727.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	272045Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3728.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	272046Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3729.JPG
Views:	691
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	272047

Comment

• Oh sure, lucky you! That was such a nice plane. Honestly I would replace it but I have the Airworld Me-262 and a couple of Tamjets/Jetfan 90mm fans waiting to be built. I should really get on with that...
                              Well, in a way I did replace it, but with a FW Mig-21.

Comment

• My me262 v1 had a mishap on takeoff today and I damaged the right wing. Does anyone know if I can utilize the version 2 replacement wings on the version 1?? Thank you in advance

Comment

• Originally posted by Jspoz View Post
                                  My me262 v1 had a mishap on takeoff today and I damaged the right wing. Does anyone know if I can utilize the version 2 replacement wings on the version 1?? Thank you in advance
                                  The two versions have the same parts, the only difference in the parts is the new paint job on V2. (V2 has upgraded motors and fans). So the V2 wings will be a perfect replacement on your plane, except for the paint.

By the way I have both versions. V1 is parts in a box! V2 is still in perfect shape!
                                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Mudduck

Thank you so much for the info

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey there, great job on adding those little details - doing those little things really makes them look great. I really like that circular antenna, I'm going to add that to mine!

Something you may want to consider - pry off the canopy and move the pilot forward. Compare with the real plane, the pilot didn't sit 3 feet back from the instrument panel. What this model needs is an armored seat-back for the pilot.

And - don't forget to reinforce the nose by installing CF tubes on each side. The nose is weak and in a relatively hard landing you can snap it right off. This is easy to do and will solve that problem.

"before and after"

Name:	20180903_082440.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	256869

Name:	20180903_083413.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	256870
                                      I just bought one this morning and wondered why the carbon rod is ran at an angle, instead of flat against the bottom?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spencer Keith View Post

I just bought one this morning and wondered why the carbon rod is ran at an angle, instead of flat against the bottom?
                                        Probably just his personal choice. I use a square rod and it runs flat on the floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                          Probably just his personal choice. I use a square rod and it runs flat on the floor.
                                          thank you

Comment

Working...
                                          X