X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crick3t View Post
    Took out the 64mm F86 today. Flew great. Decided it was time to see how it would do on 4S. I put in an Eflite 2200mah 4S pack. Fit perfectly! The jet launched easier with the additional power. For about 2min the F-86 flew amazing on 4S and then the great white smoke came from the motor around 2:15 seconds on my flight timer. I managed to dead stick to the runway with no issues and had a nice landing.

After testing. Motor 100% DEAD!!!! ESC & everything else still in great shape no problems.

I know another user said they have done this and had zero issues. I unfortunately can't report the same results as my motor died!

Without a doubt the F-86 flys way better on 4S. So i have ordered a new motor that will support the 4S setup. Can't wait for it to come in and try things again.
    Which 4s motor did you get and what are the results? I'm thinking about getting one of these and I'm curious about the upgraded flight performance, as I have read all of the mixed reviews about the hand launches and slow-flying characteristics.

Comment

Hey guys I was hoping someone could help me out. I recently purchased the sabre 64mm and i am about to put her together but the edf that came with it just sits inside the plane losely. I know when I screw in the wings there is a little notch I have to line up with the edf to keep it in place but I've read so many comments about the edf slipping out of place and causing crashes (and I can see why, I just know it's gonna get knocked lose eventually, nothing is really there holding it in place with any real force). Is it possible to glue it in place with some epoxy? Or Super-Gold?

Comment

Originally posted by Katodog View Post
        Hey guys I was hoping someone could help me out. I recently purchased the sabre 64mm and i am about to put her together but the edf that came with it just sits inside the plane losely. I know when I screw in the wings there is a little notch I have to line up with the edf to keep it in place but I've read so many comments about the edf slipping out of place and causing crashes (and I can see why, I just know it's gonna get knocked lose eventually, nothing is really there holding it in place with any real force). Is it possible to glue it in place with some epoxy? Or Super-Gold?
        I used foam-tac all the way around the ring on the EDF unit to secure it into the fuse and the slot on the wing once mounted up. It still fly's and has been a great bird.

Comment

Thank you so much for the quick response! Do you recommend I use foam tac specifically? Or will any foam safe adhesive be alright? I current have a bottle of Super Gold and a Bob Smith industries Epoxy, both are for foam RC units.

Comment

Thank you so much for the quick response! Do you recommend I use foam tac specifically? Or will any foam safe adhesive be alright? I current have a bottle of Super Gold and a Bob Smith industries Epoxy, both are for foam RC units.
            Any foam safe glue or a bit of epoxy should be fine. It only needs just a bit to secure it in place. I wouldn't see any issues going either way.

Comment

Sorry...Somehow I got switched to the 64mm thread...Need the 80mm one.BYE
              Indy Damnbeenie

Comment

Hello. I am currently trying to test my edf. When it's plugged in it goes through a bunch of beeping patterns and never turns on. If I press up or down on the throttle nothing happens. But the edf itself sounds like it's beeping? It starts with a single beep that repeats several times and then changes to a different sounding beep for several times and then on again and on again. Not sure if the edf is busted? It's brand new so I don't know what's wrong with it, could be several things. I've been trying tonget this thing in the air for over a month now and just keep hitting hiccups. This is my first freewing and I will say as of right now, I am not having a pleasant experience haha! Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's my Dad's father day present but the original model we received was damaged, the second ones esc was broke and now this one doesn't want to let me use the throttle lol

Comment

Hello. I am currently trying to test my edf. When it's plugged in it goes through a bunch of beeping patterns and never turns on. If I press up or down on the throttle nothing happens. But the edf itself sounds like it's beeping? It starts with a single beep that repeats several times and then changes to a different sounding beep for several times and then on again and on again. Not sure if the edf is busted? It's brand new so I don't know what's wrong with it, could be several things. I've been trying tonget this thing in the air for over a month now and just keep hitting hiccups. This is my first freewing and I will say as of right now, I am not having a pleasant experience haha! Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's my Dad's father day present but the original model we received was damaged, the second ones esc was broke and now this one doesn't want to let me use the throttle lol
                  First and foremost ............................ check again that all wiring is connected properly ............. the 3 wires going from ESC to motor, all servo leads going to the RX are connected in the correct polarity. If there are any irregularities here, fix them and see what happens.
                  If there are no irregularities, it sounds like your throttle could be in need of being reversed as it almost sounds like your ESC is going into program mode. Try reversing the throttle and see what happens. Make sure you secure the model so it doesn't blast off on you. If this resolves the problem, you may need to set the ESC back to default as all your previous messing with it could have changed some of the parameters inadvertently.

Comment

Thanks man. My esc is wrapped in blue rubber. Any chance you know how i would I got about resetting it or would you need the model number first? On a side note I tried hitting the reverse and nothing happened.

Also I looked up the arming beep and it makes the three beeps and then the arming sound so it sounds like the engine is arming but no power for some reason. I will retry looking up how to reset the esc in the meantime. Thanks for all your help man, this forum is my only lifeline ha!

Comment

There's nothing inside the ESC that you need to check, so it doesn't matter how it's "wrapped". I'm talking about the 3 wires that come out of it and goes to the motor. Those 3 connections must be firm and fully seated. When you say "hitting the reverse", I hope you are talking about going into the servo menu and reversing the throttle channel.
                      As far as "resetting" the ESC, you need to find the ESC manual for that particular ESC. It's available under the "support" tab on the plane's product page:

Programming the ESC (or setting factory default) has to do with throttle stick position and listening to beep tones. However, you shouldn't mess with that until you've ascertained that the basics are in order. If your throttle is reversed when it shouldn't be, programming is almost impossible.

Comment

wrong post

Greetings Hans
                        Last edited by timmybeetle; Nov 22, 2021, 12:29 AM. Reason: I did not read well, this is 64mm F86 not 80mm F86 so wrong post for me so I deleted it

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I took it to a hobby store and the slob behind the counter plugged the motor into the battery while it was freely sitting on top of a glass display case. It spun up and wrapped itself around his wrist at 100mph.. Somehow, he managed not to seriously maime himself. Next, he unplugged the battery, put the motor back down onto the glass display unit and turned it on again. This time it shot over the side of the counter and nearly hit him in the balls. He then proceeded to tell me that I had multiple problems and would need a new esc, transmitter and receiver.
                          I kindly told him no thanks and wished him the best...as I'm sure he will be dead within the year.

I went home and decided to trouble shoot the problem myself. Like back in the day when i took my first programming course. I checked all the servos, plugged them in and I even plugged the elevator into the throttle port just to see if the problem was with the throttle stick on my transmitter. They all worked! So now I start thinking, is there some way you have to arm this motor, once you turn it on?

It was as simple as that. When it beeps I have to move my throttle stick from up to down . Then the motor will arm.

I still cant believe two hobby stores and a half dozen old timers didnt know you needed to arm the motor. I asked everysingle person at the field the other day if you usually have to arm an EDF. It wouldn't seem seem safe any other way. Each and every person told me no. I felt like I was living in the twilight zone. Since when do you not need to arm the esc/motor?

I finally flew it this evening. My only gripe is i installed a gyro. It saved my butt on the first hand launch but I'm worried that at full throttle it almost looks like the wings are shaking, if ever so slightly. I know the wings are sturdy enough, I reinforced them with carbon fiber. Could it be that the silver paint is just shimmering in the sun? Or do you think that it could be the gyro having a hard time adjusting the ailerons at full throttle?

And again, thanks for all the suggestions guys! It turned out to be a very simple fix.

Comment

Well If you are able to fly save, enjoy this plane.
                            Greetings Hans
                            Last edited by timmybeetle; Nov 22, 2021, 12:28 AM. Reason: I did not read well, this is 64mm F86 not 80mm F86 so wrong post for me so I deleted it

Comment

Does anyone have a lead on a plastic nose piece, or 3D printed inlet lip just for the chin on the little F-86? I have this and the 64mm Mig. The Mig has the plastic nose ring and tends to slide along the grass easier. The F-86 even with a slow, full stall landing, the nose will dig in and flip it on it's back, I think the pivot point (on the drop tanks) must be further back on the F-86. Both fly fine and are very similar except for their behavior just after touchdown. There was a mention of a plastic nose from park flyer plastics, but I'm thinking it's no longer available.

Comment

Originally posted by BBriBro View Post
                                Does anyone have a lead on a plastic nose piece, or 3D printed inlet lip just for the chin on the little F-86? I have this and the 64mm Mig. The Mig has the plastic nose ring and tends to slide along the grass easier. The F-86 even with a slow, full stall landing, the nose will dig in and flip it on it's back, I think the pivot point (on the drop tanks) must be further back on the F-86. Both fly fine and are very similar except for their behavior just after touchdown. There was a mention of a plastic nose from park flyer plastics, but I'm thinking it's no longer available.
                                I've not been able to find it on their site either.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post

I've not been able to find it on their site either.
                                  I ended up making one.

Comment

Hi friends,

Hi friends,

Two weeks ago I was at the club and my friend tryed to fly the Freewing F86 Sabre with a 4S lipo. He hand launched with success but when turning back
                                    it went directly to the ground, could no recover.

So when he saw it broke, he gave it to me, and lets bring it to life again

When I started to put the parts togheter, I didn't know that hot water could make my work easier. So this was made with so much pulling and pushing.
                                    To hold the parts used some tape and pins. I applied hobby filler to smooth the smashed and then applied some primer coat to let it ready to be painted.

Yesterday I went to the club and took my FreeWing F86 Sabre to maiden. I Had only an old 3s2.200mAh Lipo left, once I
                                    bought a 3S 1800Mah on AliExpress but still waiting. So, I could not resist. CG checked battery charged let's go to the maiden.

I acrossed the track, where the grass is high, and I launched it with energy, holding the Sabre down, by my leg side, and
                                    with my left hand, once the right was in the stick to control aileron and elevator. I put full throttle (one of my mistakes),
                                    and It traveled about ten meters (30 feet) but didn't had enough lift and went down to the grass with her nose,.

A few wrinkled nose only and let's go. This time I'll wait for the new LiPo, which is lighter and brand new, must have more
                                    power.

To help to reinforce the nose, I 3D printed in TPU, a flexible material, a new nose for my F86 Sabre. Some print tests and I think
                                    I found a model to glue in .

I'll primer it, paint and glue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5239.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	396313 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5238.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	396314 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5237.jpg