You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 80mm A-4E/F Skyhawk Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by CVA59 View Post
    Hey guys. I picked up one of these that was crashed. I have now fixed the plane. However, the P/O kept the original fan/motor and ESC. I picked up a new 12 blade fan/motor and ESC that came off an Freewing F-86. Everything fits into the A4 perfectly except the EC5 battery lead wires are about 10" or so too short. I am thinking of making an extension but want to know if there would be any cons to doing it this way? Ideas? Thoughts?

    Thanks
    CVA59, the way I understand it, you should lengthen the 'motor' leads rather than the ESC leads and add some suppression in the form of ceramic rings It becomes an issue of 'electrical' interference the way I read it. Again, this is what I have read, not something I have had to deal with in the actual. Best, LB
    Captain: Got any ideas?
    F/O: Actually not.
    — Captain Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger III and F/O Jeff Skiles—

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Elbee View Post

      CVA59, the way I understand it, you should lengthen the 'motor' leads rather than the ESC leads and add some suppression in the form of ceramic rings It becomes an issue of 'electrical' interference the way I read it. Again, this is what I have read, not something I have had to deal with in the actual. Best, LB
      I need to lengthen the EC5 connector wires, ESC wires (red/black). My initial thoughts were to simply make an extension. Would this work?
      Attached Files

      EAA# 1366802
      AMA# 631508

      https://vf59.weebly.com/

      Comment


      • Yeah don't worry about it. You are not adding excessive length. But be aware that the F-86 was one of FW first EDFs and the motor/ fan in that made quite a bit less than the stock A-4 unit. The F-86 unit in mine made 1624W and the A-4 made 2124W, over 30% more.


        Originally posted by CVA59 View Post

        I need to lengthen the EC5 connector wires, ESC wires (red/black). My initial thoughts were to simply make an extension. Would this work?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Evan D View Post
          Yeah don't worry about it. You are not adding excessive length. But be aware that the F-86 was one of FW first EDFs and the motor/ fan in that made quite a bit less than the stock A-4 unit. The F-86 unit in mine made 1624W and the A-4 made 2124W, over 30% more.



          Do you think the F-86 setup will be enough for the A4? It has the In-runner motor with a 12 blade fan.

          EAA# 1366802
          AMA# 631508

          https://vf59.weebly.com/

          Comment


          • Ah, the newer inrunner... I think that should be a good set up.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              Ah, the newer inrunner... I think that should be a good set up.
              I am hoping it will do good in the A4.

              EAA# 1366802
              AMA# 631508

              https://vf59.weebly.com/

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CVA59 View Post

                I am hoping it will do good in the A4.
                The stock motor is good.... and cant say from experience if the F86 would be the same or not.... but I think you might want to consider the new 80mm fan linked below.

                https://www.motionrc.com/collections...inrunner-motor
                It would be awesome

                Rich

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                  It2, I like it and I think it is good we never grow up completely. Well done, Sir. Best, LB
                  Thanks Elbee! I really love the sinister look now.

                  If you don't know the Buck Danny pilot comics series I can highly recommend them, don't know if they're available outside Europe.

                  And btw, drop the sir thing please, I'm only half way my time at earth so I'm not ready yet to be called sir haha
                  YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXg...sNG6r3egqOQWqw

                  Comment


                  • Elbee
                    Elbee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Copy that.

                • About the motor:

                  The former stock motor in the Skyhawk is a 1800kv outrunner with a 12b fan in a metal housing if I'm not wrong. Had that motor in my Mig-21.
                  I recently installed an FMS 2100kv inrunner with a 12b fan in a plastic housing (pro version) and the acceleration on the ground was A LOT better, faster in the air as well of course.

                  I have the Freewing 1857kv inrunner with a 12b fan in a metal housing in my L-39 and love it also! Can do 8,5minutes flights on a 6000mAh lipo if I'm just cruising around.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=559880

                  On my blog on rcgroups I have an article with some static ground tests and comparisons I did between the FMS & Freewing setups, if you're interested you can find it here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=559880

                  Bottom line of the story: you can't go wrong with the FMS or FW inrunners!
                  YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXg...sNG6r3egqOQWqw

                  Comment


                  • Rich / Icarus...............Thank you for the great info! Yes, I will more than likely upgrade at some point. However, at the moment, my biggest objective is to determine if this F-86 setup will fly the A4 sufficiently based solely on the data. This F-86 setup I have is an In-runner with a 12 blade fan. I'm hoping to get some use out of it while learning the flying characteristics of the A4 before putting too much speed into it. Once I get a good handle on flying the A4, I will more than likely jump up to something more powerful. I will be using 6S, 4500's & 5000 packs with this setup.

                    EAA# 1366802
                    AMA# 631508

                    https://vf59.weebly.com/

                    Comment


                    • My A-4 came with a 1850kV motor. I realize different markets got different options but if you got it from Motion it had a 1850 in it. The older Mig had a 1800kV in it. The first L-39s had the A-4's 1850 but later camo ones got the 1857kV.

                      The newest 80mm system is a 9b with a 1920kV and is what comes in the T-33. I like this set up. The A-4's 1850 is my favorite 12b set up.


                      Originally posted by Icarus the 2nd View Post
                      About the motor:

                      The former stock motor in the Skyhawk is a 1800kv outrunner with a 12b fan in a metal housing if I'm not wrong. Had that motor in my Mig-21.
                      I recently installed an FMS 2100kv inrunner with a 12b fan in a plastic housing (pro version) and the acceleration on the ground was A LOT better, faster in the air as well of course.

                      I have the Freewing 1857kv inrunner with a 12b fan in a metal housing in my L-39 and love it also! Can do 8,5minutes flights on a 6000mAh lipo if I'm just cruising around.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=559880

                      On my blog on rcgroups I have an article with some static ground tests and comparisons I did between the FMS & Freewing setups, if you're interested you can find it here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=559880

                      Bottom line of the story: you can't go wrong with the FMS or FW inrunners!

                      Comment


                      • What are you guys using for CONSERVATIVE control throws on the ailerons, and elevator?

                        Can you guys also show me where the nose gear retract servo lead plugs into the control panel board?

                        EAA# 1366802
                        AMA# 631508

                        https://vf59.weebly.com/

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by CVA59 View Post
                          What are you guys using for CONSERVATIVE control throws on the ailerons, and elevator?

                          Can you guys also show me where the nose gear retract servo lead plugs into the control panel board?
                          <sigh> - I had to haul my plane out of the storage rack, but here you go! This is a pic taken looking inside the nose compartment with the nose pointing to the left.
                          You'll see the nose gear retract wire Is plugged into the board at the top right position of this picture. Look very closely and see that the little diagram printed on the box is marked "gear" for that position.

                          The white wires on the top and bottom are the cables from the wings.

                          I found the throws were way too sensitive for my liking, so I reduced it. On my radio, I've reduced the control throw to 54% on aileron and 67% on elevator.
                          I am also using 45% expo on aileron and 38% on elevator. This is what I did, but its really a matter of your preference and flying style. I like flying smoothly and scale-like, at least I try to do that. This model will roll like a g-d drill bit - it rolls so fast that you can actually induce a stall at high speed. (Mine starts to snap-roll after about 2 high-speed rolls) Where I have it set now, it rolls very quickly but nicely and the expo allows me to be smooth. So that's just me, you'll need to find what works best for you.

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200205_204657.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	235226
                          I fly: F4, A4, A10, F104, P38, P51D "Iron Ass", B24, Dauntless SBD, F7F Tigercat, Dynam B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, Durafly Komets, Vampire, Sea Vixen. A Radian XL...

                          Lots of Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and snot-powered planes including Mud Ducks! Marc at www.rabidmodels.com

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by themudduck View Post

                            <sigh> - I had to haul my plane out of the storage rack, but here you go! This is a pic taken looking inside the nose compartment with the nose pointing to the left.
                            You'll see the nose gear retract wire Is plugged into the board at the top right position of this picture. Look very closely and see that the little diagram printed on the box is marked "gear" for that position.

                            The white wires on the top and bottom are the cables from the wings.

                            I found the throws were way too sensitive for my liking, so I reduced it. On my radio, I've reduced the control throw to 54% on aileron and 67% on elevator.
                            I am also using 45% expo on aileron and 38% on elevator. This is what I did, but its really a matter of your preference and flying style. I like flying smoothly and scale-like, at least I try to do that. This model will roll like a g-d drill bit - it rolls so fast that you can actually induce a stall at high speed. (Mine starts to snap-roll after about 2 high-speed rolls) Where I have it set now, it rolls very quickly but nicely and the expo allows me to be smooth. So that's just me, you'll need to find what works best for you.

                            Got it, works perfectly now, thanks

                            I will also use your settings to start with. I am a scale flyer as well.

                            EAA# 1366802
                            AMA# 631508

                            https://vf59.weebly.com/

                            Comment


                            • I recommend watching a YouTube video by the RC GEEK. Freewing A4 flight review. Great setup starting point. I haven’t changed anything from my initial flight following his setup.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Race 22 Crew View Post
                                I recommend watching a YouTube video by the RC GEEK. Freewing A4 flight review. Great setup starting point. I haven’t changed anything from my initial flight following his setup.
                                I recently did and yes, he has a really good video on setting up the A4, thanks

                                EAA# 1366802
                                AMA# 631508

                                https://vf59.weebly.com/

                                Comment


                                • Well, after several weeks of repairs, paint and Callie graphics, here she is ready to fly again. Still have to get the CG correct and setup the control throws but otherwise she's all set. I did her up in the VA-46 "Clansmen" squadron that was aboard the USS Forrestal on July 29th 1967 when it caught fire. One of the pilots who was strapped in awaiting launch while sitting tip to tip to John McCain that day is my friend, Dave Dollarhide. I have used Dave's photos and such to replicate the plane he was flying that day. Dave was very impressed that I chose to replicate his A4 for my R/C version. Dave has an incredible story for those who have an interest. I have attached the PDF of Dave's story to this post as well. There is also a video of Dave's last flight in the A4.




                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image_50772.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	236647


                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	372.5 KB ID:	236649
                                  Attached Files

                                  EAA# 1366802
                                  AMA# 631508

                                  https://vf59.weebly.com/

                                  Comment


                                  • Click image for larger version

Name:	516FCE02-691F-4E18-90E9-A4DB3EC16D7C.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	236686Click image for larger version

Name:	D1973641-0956-4093-8229-201D02CC9732.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	236685 My squadron, VA-66, was on the America at the same time as the VA-86 A-4 in that video. Thanks!

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                      My squadron, VA-66, was on the America at the same time as the VA-86 A-4 in that video. Thanks!
                                      NICE!!! I love these "Scooters". They are really neat planes.

                                      EAA# 1366802
                                      AMA# 631508

                                      https://vf59.weebly.com/

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by CVA59 View Post
                                        Well, after several weeks of repairs, paint and Callie graphics, here she is ready to fly again. Still have to get the CG correct and setup the control throws but otherwise she's all set. I did her up in the VA-46 "Clansmen" squadron that was aboard the USS Forrestal on July 29th 1967 when it caught fire. One of the pilots who was strapped in awaiting launch while sitting tip to tip to John McCain that day is my friend, Dave Dollarhide. I have used Dave's photos and such to replicate the plane he was flying that day. Dave was very impressed that I chose to replicate his A4 for my R/C version. Dave has an incredible story for those who have an interest. I have attached the PDF of Dave's story to this post as well. There is also a video of Dave's last flight in the A4.
                                        Thank you very much for sharing that video and Dave's story, I really enjoyed watching. Such a cool little jet and it must be a total blast to fly the real scooter - and I love flying the model! (you did a really nice job on your model as well). Please thank Dave for his service and for standing up for the truth about what happened on the Forrestal.
                                        I fly: F4, A4, A10, F104, P38, P51D "Iron Ass", B24, Dauntless SBD, F7F Tigercat, Dynam B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, Durafly Komets, Vampire, Sea Vixen. A Radian XL...

                                        Lots of Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and snot-powered planes including Mud Ducks! Marc at www.rabidmodels.com

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X