X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steelon Steel View Post
    This bird keeps speaking to me. I want to resist the 6s $110 for 3.5 minutes of flight time thing but I do like this bird.

maybe if it goes on sale for the introductory price I will sucked in.
    You can find less expensive 6S, 4-5000 mah batteries. There are a number of options available that will fly the plane just fine from ~$55 - $80 EA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post

You can find less expensive 6S, 4-5000 mah batteries. There are a number of options available that will fly the plane just fine from ~$55 - $80 EA.

That sounds better. I guess I shouldn’t be such stick in the mud!

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

I agree with DCORSAIR and wish to point out, the same battery can be used in a large number of other Freewing planes. So once you get this one, you can use the same battery on your new AL-37!

Lol, enabler!

Comment

• If you spend $100 on a battery and get 100 flights out of it that's pretty cheap entertainment. Even if you only get 50 flights I'd buy that!

Comment

That sounds better. I guess I shouldn’t be such stick in the mud!
            I've heard that 5000 mah batteries are recommended for this plane.

So, here are a few budget 5000 mah options for consideration:
            1. CNHL "Black" 40C: ~$53 EA - I have four of these, they're not the best, but will get you flying
            2. CNHL "Black" 65C: ~$65 EA - I have two of these, they're better
            3. Turnigy HD 60C: ~$75 EA - these are pretty good, but heavy, I have four - they weigh ~10% more than a typical battery though
            4. HRB 60C ~$69 EA - these are actually pretty decent. I don't see much difference between these and the Turnigy's in flight and they're a touch lighter
            I'm heavy on the throttle, but to land at high 3.7's per cell, I set my timer at 3 minutes. Yes, it's a short flight (most EDFs are), but I have a fair number of batteries now.

Comment

1. CNHL "Black" 40C: ~$53 EA - I have four of these, they're not the best, but will get you flying
              3. Turnigy HD 60C: ~$75 EA - these are pretty good, but heavy, I have four - they weigh ~10% more than a typical battery though
              4. HRB 60C ~$69 EA - these are actually pretty decent. I don't see much difference between these and the Turnigy's in flight and they're a touch lighter
              I'm heavy on the throttle, but to land at high 3.7's per cell, I set my timer at 3 minutes. Yes, it's a short flight (most EDFs are), but I have a fair number of batteries now.

Good info, that there are options. Right now I think the biggest batteries I have are 4s for my avios albatross.

Comment

Good info, that there are options. Right now I think the biggest batteries I have are 4s for my avios albatross.
                Once you go all-in on 6S, you'll never go back. You'll just start looking for new planes that match the batteries you have.

Comment

I have found that this airframe handles the weight of a 6000mah battery pretty well. I recently lost 2 5000 packs and am down to just 2 of those sizes left. I have several 6000’s and they work well in this plane.

Comment

• Here we go again! I’m so excited to add the A-4 to my EDF fleet. The scale lines of the A-4 have always been appealing to me. From the Blue Angel days flying the A-4, to Vipers ride in Top Gun.

I’ve read a lot of positive things about this model. As the setup is concerned, dial the ailerons back and start with a slightly fwd CG. Any other suggestions? Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	C2B05924-FB36-4BD2-A960-615C90230C50.jpeg
Views:	863
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	264243

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post
                      Here we go again! I’m so excited to add the A-4 to my EDF fleet. The scale lines of the A-4 have always been appealing to me. From the Blue Angel days flying the A-4, to Vipers ride in Top Gun.

I’ve read a lot of positive things about this model. As the setup is concerned, dial the ailerons back and start with a slightly fwd CG. Any other suggestions? Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	C2B05924-FB36-4BD2-A960-615C90230C50.jpeg
Views:	863
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	264243
                      In addition to the forward cg and cranked down ailerons, I run an Eagle A-3L gyro in both of mine. Makes them just that much more enjoyable to fly. Good luck with yours! Give us a report on that new “High Performance” set up.

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

In addition to the forward cg and cranked down ailerons, I run an Eagle A-3L gyro in both of mine. Makes them just that much more enjoyable to fly. Good luck with yours! Give us a report on that new “High Performance” set up.
                        Great thanks! I’ve been using the Aura-8 gyros in my EDF’s with great results. I will pick up another Aura for the A-4. And I’ll definitely report on the performance of the upgraded version. Our local club is at 4500’. We will see how it does. My other Freewing EDF’s still do quite well despite the altitude.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post

Great thanks! I’ve been using the Aura-8 gyros in my EDF’s with great results. I will pick up another Aura for the A-4. And I’ll definitely report on the performance of the upgraded version. Our local club is at 4500’. We will see how it does. My other Freewing EDF’s still do quite well despite the altitude.
                          I'll sell you one cheap out of my Flexjet, never used once, I don't use gyros. Give me a PM if interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post

I'll sell you one cheap out of my Flexjet, never used once, I don't use gyros. Give me a PM if interested.
                            PM sent, thanks!

Comment

• skyhawk painting done,
                              thinking of my cousin who seen them flying over his ship HMS Fearless during falklands war

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200723_161402.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	266389Click image for larger version

Name:	20200803_155059.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	266390

Comment

• Originally posted by coyote137 View Post
                                skyhawk painting done,
                                thinking of my cousin who seen them flying over his ship HMS Fearless during falklands war
                                Nicely done!

Comment

• [QUOTE=coyote137;n266388]skyhawk painting done,

That looks great!!

Comment

• Nicely done!

Comment

• Coyote137...awesome argentine A4!!! Ill have to dig up the picture i took with one of these on a pole in mendoza argentina :)

Comment

• Tearing up another Utah sunset with out custom painted birds. Jeremy is getting new motors for the Tomcat to try and keep up with my A-4 😆

Decals by Callie graphics

Comment

• The A-4 is ready for a maiden. What a nice looking model. Very good fit and finish overall. If it flies as good as it looks, it will be a winner. I did my homework. Moved the CG slightly FWD of recommend, reduced aileron travel... I added an Aura-8 and a Castle BEC. Ohh, and the Callie Graphics look great. I picked the red Marines scheme hoping it will improve visibility.

Which Motion/Freewing should I get next? Haha Click image for larger version

Name:	0030B40F-8B7D-47EE-97CE-862A8345E5F5.jpeg
Views:	691
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	269916Click image for larger version

Name:	E6942BA7-1C48-4E46-89ED-D113D2F1889F.jpeg
Views:	675
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	269917Click image for larger version

Name:	4F5004D5-591F-43C2-9D9E-76D672ABF354.jpeg
Views:	614
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	269918Click image for larger version