Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dart is tricky due to its cross-section. Crunch the numbers for minimum diameter to accommodate an EDF (plus the necessary foam wall thickness), then extrapolate the corresponding fuselage length, and it ends up being a very long bird. Although the AL37 was able to fit in a small box considering its large size displacement, delta winged birds are less friendly to our usual methods of puzzle-piecing parts into small boxes. Every inch counts when some of these things cost us ~$50 to ship.

But, anything* is possible.

*almost
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
      The Dart is tricky due to its cross-section. Crunch the numbers for minimum diameter to accommodate an EDF (plus the necessary foam wall thickness), then extrapolate the corresponding fuselage length, and it ends up being a very long bird. Although the AL37 was able to fit in a small box considering its large size displacement, delta winged birds are less friendly to our usual methods of puzzle-piecing parts into small boxes. Every inch counts when some of these things cost us ~$50 to ship.

*almost
      Interesting. The larger size would give some great separation from the Mirage in the product line though! Even if it means some added cost in shipping. Someday I’ll need to get back to my composite model. It is definitely quite the long, thin, aircraft.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing some of the design/business considerations. You should apply some of those philosophies after you make an F-106. 😉

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
        The Dart is tricky due to its cross-section. Crunch the numbers for minimum diameter to accommodate an EDF (plus the necessary foam wall thickness), then extrapolate the corresponding fuselage length, and it ends up being a very long bird. Although the AL37 was able to fit in a small box considering its large size displacement, delta winged birds are less friendly to our usual methods of puzzle-piecing parts into small boxes. Every inch counts when some of these things cost us ~$50 to ship.

*almost

Comment

*almost
          I'll take the first two or three. Bigger the better, shipping charges I'm willing to pay. I thought the thin wing chord would be the hardest problem to solve. Just my opinion, but I think the Delta Dart was the best looking century series aircraft Built, and a great single engine performer.

Comment

*almost
            Alpha, I really believe that most of us in this hobby would be willing to pay the shipping costs for larger airplanes. If this is your major design limitation then maybe MRC should change the business model for large scale models. You can still offer free shipping for current scale models.

Comment

• We're exploring that concept (how exactly to control shipping costs, including absorbing it and at times redistributing it) with our balsa birds, some of which are quite large, and we've got even bigger stuff coming. As the data rolls in, however, so far there remains a clear cliff for models above a certain size, beyond which sales plummet. I've personally paid $300-$500 in shipping for imported birds of a certain size on rare occasions, but it's an inescapable fact that such is not the majority. Even for our foamies, there's a noticeable drop off in the data once models pass a sweet spot of size and price. There will always be guys who will pay for Ferraris, but there's a reason Toyota sells 20x more.

Beyond cost to ship, there are also other limitations, such as maximal girth allowed by shipping companies, beyond which shipping costs can double. Further back in the development cycle, in the context of foam planes at least, there are physical limits to the size of the molds. Anything larger ends up being composed of jig-sawed pieces glued together at the factory. Not to mention the exorbitant cost. At a certain point, a model simply becomes "too big to ship", because its costs outpace its potential market and thus any chance of sustainable ROI.

For these and other reasons, I continue to believe that Balsa and Composites will always have a place, especially for larger sizes where the limits inherent in Foam as a medium (mold size, material strength, durability over time) are more easily overcome. The larger a foam model becomes, the larger the investment --six figures plus-- which drives up the quantity required to even come close to breaking even. If I thought I could sell a couple thousand twin 100mm AL37s at $1,200+ each (and somehow eat another $200 in shipping each), I would have. But I know I can't. The proverbial Market Forces and Constraints argument.

If it can be figured out, we'll figure it out. 'Just takes time, reliably consistent data, and capital. Easy!

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• My final guess: 80mm T33

Comment

• Not sure if they already have one, but I would love to see a B-1 .

Comment

• You know what is really missing? A decent F-100. 80mm would be fine, but 90mm would be even better. Yes, the size is against it, and the shipping costs, but hell, did we not buy the big Foamies already? Did we not purchase the large Balsa birds already? Is it not snowing in Canada again(sorry Xviper)? I say lets petition the Sky Gods and ask for a big old foamy F-100. I will buy two if it will help?
                    Dutchman

Comment

• I would be happy with a 80-90mm, A-7, T-33, F-100 or Hunter. Hell, even a twin S-3 would be really cool!

Comment

• Originally posted by dutchwhite001 View Post
                        Is it not snowing in Canada again(sorry Xviper)?
                        Woke up yesterday to be greeted by new snow. Cleared sidwalks and it's supposed to stay clear for about a week. Then it gets really cold (-4F). Whooopie!!!

Comment

• "Big" reveal on YouTube in 10 minutes.

Comment

We're exploring that concept (how exactly to control shipping costs, including absorbing it and at times redistributing it) with our balsa birds, some of which are quite large, and we've got even bigger stuff coming. As the data rolls in, however, so far there remains a clear cliff for models above a certain size, beyond which sales plummet. I've personally paid $300-$500 in shipping for imported birds of a certain size on rare occasions, but it's an inescapable fact that such is not the majority. Even for our foamies, there's a noticeable drop off in the data once models pass a sweet spot of size and price. There will always be guys who will pay for Ferraris, but there's a reason Toyota sells 20x more.

Beyond cost to ship, there are also other limitations, such as maximal girth allowed by shipping companies, beyond which shipping costs can double. Further back in the development cycle, in the context of foam planes at least, there are physical limits to the size of the molds. Anything larger ends up being composed of jig-sawed pieces glued together at the factory. Not to mention the exorbitant cost. At a certain point, a model simply becomes "too big to ship", because its costs outpace its potential market and thus any chance of sustainable ROI.

For these and other reasons, I continue to believe that Balsa and Composites will always have a place, especially for larger sizes where the limits inherent in Foam as a medium (mold size, material strength, durability over time) are more easily overcome. The larger a foam model becomes, the larger the investment --six figures plus-- which drives up the quantity required to even come close to breaking even. If I thought I could sell a couple thousand twin 100mm AL37s at $1,200+ each (and somehow eat another $200 in shipping each), I would have. But I know I can't. The proverbial Market Forces and Constraints argument.

If it can be figured out, we'll figure it out. 'Just takes time, reliably consistent data, and capital. Easy!
                            Understood, you guys have a good feel for how the market behaves, I am for sure looking at this from a minority perspective of myself and a few friends at the field. For example, I would prefer to have a couple beautiful models at $2k each than 10 models at $200 64mm each as some of the guys have. Good to hear you are looking at options for larger composite models! Keep it going and thank you!

Comment

• So now we know, 80mm T-33. I for one am happy, and hope I don't have to read 200 "I wish they'd..." posts. But I am very curious ALPHA -- I suspect there were design considerations involved and very interested in your comments. Once decided on the Shooting Star, why make the TRAINER version and not the FIGHTER (P-80)? Seems like the T-33 is the only trainer that seems to get priority over the fighter version in models. Nose length? Battery hatch considerations? Was a P-80 considered or were you set on T-33 from the start?

Regardless, I'll be pre-ordering. Thanks for the beautiful work.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post
                                So now we know, 80mm T-33. I for one am happy, and hope I don't have to read 200 "I wish they'd..." posts. But I am very curious ALPHA -- I suspect there were design considerations involved and very interested in your comments. Once decided on the Shooting Star, why make the TRAINER version and not the FIGHTER (P-80)? Seems like the T-33 is the only trainer that seems to get priority over the fighter version in models. Nose length? Battery hatch considerations? Was a P-80 considered or were you set on T-33 from the start?

Regardless, I'll be pre-ordering. Thanks for the beautiful work.
                                Just a shot in the dark, but I'd say it was "air time". Usuallly when you see the airframe in movies, it's the T-33. And many "third world" countries who were starting their own air forces used them first as fighters, even the JASDF. But one of my thoughts when I first saw the camo version was that I wonder if they ever used the T-33 as an "agressor squadron" aircraft in early Red Flag training.

Comment

• With as far as Freewing as gone, better electronics, better graphics, build time, led lights, would be nice to go to the next level, BRAKES! The one thing that I have a problem with is slowing mine down without taking up the whole runway LOL. Been working on that.

Comment

• I'm wondering how long it will be before we see another new release. The virus over in China has to be effecting production of our foam toys.

Comment

• There are so many great ideas here, still my personal favorites for next Freewing 80 or 90mm jets would be either the F9f Panther or the A7 Corsair II. This one can be a bit more tricky to build i assume, with the grear under the nose air intake, the F9f is probably easier to build from a pure manufacturing point of view, anyway both are very cool classic jets in my opinion...and they both come with tons of camo options too

Click image for larger version

Name:	F9f Panther_k300.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	276760
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	A-7E_Corsair_II_k300.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	276758
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• I would love to see a 105mm F-100 or F-8 Crusader.

Comment

• I'll second the F9f but I would prefer the Cougar with the swept wings, white and red/orange for easy disability.. Actually I think it would be easy to do both, same fuse.

Comment

Working...
                                          X