Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no problem buddy...don't be worried about the maiden.. make sure u have the cg right and it will fly great...

Comment

• My BAe Hawk was meant to be a Christmas gift, but because it came out 2 weeks or more ahead of time, I couldn't wait! Thank goodness Motion RC released it before the projected ETA!

I couldn't wait to start working on mine. I bought the grey version. Searching the internet for possible paint schemes, I fell in love with this one. When I pre-ordered the plane, I started to try to figure out how to even paint this version of a BAe. With my paint and masking plan, it turned out pretty well. I'm happy with it. Some of the paint peeled off with the delicate masking tape and I had to touch up and touch up. It was the most difficult paint process I've ever done and I haven't done that many. I'd have to say if I unfortunately crash this one, I'm going to have to do a simpler paint scheme in the end. A big thanks to Callie Graphics for producing the graphics/decals you see. Her graphics turned out great and a big help, especially the "white bouncing ball" pattern under the plane. I know some of you may say the plane number is not accurate, but whenever I have a British plane, for example a spitfire or this BAe, I have to think of something to incorporate into the plane that resembles my wife, since my wife is British. The XX126 is part of her birthdate.

I maiden her today. She flew awesome. She is super smooth in the sky. I had a lot of fun seeing my paint scheme fly by. I did put in an AR636 Spectrum receiver in it with the gyro. It really makes the plane very stable. She flies very similar to the Freewing F-16v2 and even better. I don't have a Yak so I can't compare the BAe to that plane. I like only 30% expo across the board, but my individual surface rates are 90% for roll, 100% for elevator, 90% for yaw. The axial rolls are nice and tight how I like it. I had to use a little bit of up trim and a small amount to the RT trim. My CG was at the line near the leading edge of the wing. In the end because of the up trim, my plane might have been a little nose heavy. I have plenty of room to move the battery a little aft to balance it a little better.

Power was nice. I was flying mostly at 60% throttle and my buddy was flying his F-16v2 (using a Turnigy 4000mah 6s 60C battery) and he had to use closer to full throttle to keep up. The battery I used today for all 7 flights were the Roaring Top 6s 5800mah 35C batteries. Plenty of power for me. I might consider trying the FMS 70mm inrunner setup in the future. I set my controller timer to 6 minutes and I came down with 36% left over. The battery was barely warm.

The landings for me were not so good. I flew 7 batteries today and all but one were bouncy. Luckily, the upgraded landing gear held up and I know it took a beating. I even tried to come in with more speed, but the plane would pop up. I tried with and without flaps--no luck. My approaches were right over the middle of the runway and couldn't have been any better. I will probably put in some Dubro low bounce tires to help out. If not, it might be the main landing gear spring of the upgraded landing gear where I might need to make some adjustments there.

In the end, this is a very good plane! Enjoy!

Comment

• That paint job looks fantastic.

commit to your back pressure on your flair and let her bleed off. If your running out if elevator move your cg aft like you mentioned.

congrats on the maiden!

Comment

• Logged 2 more flights today. What a nice plane for the money. Flying mine with a 14B XRP 2200kv setup w/125 amp esc. 6S Admiral 5000 50C. Kept pace with an Avanti S. I think the Hawk may actually be slightly faster.

Hawk
          Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
          Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
          I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• I just got my Hawk in the air yesterday for the first time. I've got in 7 flights in the last 2 days. Here is a link to a video of my third flight yesterday. I'm flying while my friend videos the flight. I shot the opening/title shot this morning.

Thanks MRC for another Winner!!!

currently flying Venom 2, A-4 Skyhawk, Ananti S and BAe Hawk T.1A

Last edited by Lipripper; Nov 13, 2017, 11:25 PM. Reason: version 2 of this video

Comment

• Great flying !
              Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
              Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
              I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Thank you sir! It's certainly a fun plane to fly

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
                  That paint job looks fantastic.

commit to your back pressure on your flair and let her bleed off. If your running out if elevator move your cg aft like you mentioned.

congrats on the maiden!
                  Thanks for the suggestion. I still have plenty of elevator left but I worry that I'll get into a high alpha like AOA, that I know my F-16 can get into. I just need to give it some time to iron out this beautiful bird's tendencies. Enclosed is a link of my second landing that wasn't so bouncy and after the 2nd bounce, I pull full elevator to "catch" the plane to flare and set her down.

The biggest thing I love is how smooth the plane cuts through the air. This plane is definitely on rails!

Comment

• Here is short clip recorded with my iPhone of a low pass. She is sweet!

Comment

• Another short clip.

GregC

Comment

• hey whats the best glue to use on servos in foam wings or tail etc?

Comment

• A little E6000.
                          Too much CAN affect EPO but you don't need much. Apply to the servo then put the servo in.

This is hard to remove from the foam. It will come off of the servo by rubbing.
                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
                            hey whats the best glue to use on servos in foam wings or tail etc?
                            Foam Tac ;)
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Foam Tac ;)
                              Dang, beat me to it!
                              TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Dang, beat me to it!
                                Probably cause you were getting your beauty sleep:P
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Probably cause you were getting your beauty sleep:P
                                  I was working on my 3200mm OV-10...
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Being English I guess it's fitting I should have the British Aerospace Engineering Hawk in the Royal Air Force Red Arrows color scheme. The Hawk T-1 is the jet trainer aircraft used by the RAF. It can be fitted with a Cannon which is fitted in the center pod of the fuselage. In the case of the Red Arrows, the pod contains to smoke oil used in their displays.

The Freewing wing model is a 70mm fan, which makes it slightly smaller than the Avanti. However, it does fly on a 6s battery. The recommended is a 4000mAh and I'm using the Admiral Pro 6s 4000mAh. The model assembles quickly and can be ready to fly in a couple of hours. I'm not sure how long it took me to put mine together, only to say I didn't rush it. I double checked everything as I do with all the models I build or assemble. Before beginning the assembly I checked all the servos for operation and centered them using the RX I am using to fly the model. In this case, it's the new Admiral RX600. Please note this is the basic RX and does not have the built-in gyro. Having centered all the servos I connected them to the relevant control surfaces and again checked and adjusted the control throw to my desired amount.

Personally, I set up all my servos mechanically using the holes in the servo arms and the control horns to give me full servo travel with 100% servo travel set in the TX. This gives a much smoother control movement and you are using the full range of the servo and not relying on the endpoint adjustment in the TX to obtain the desired control surface movement. Moving the pushrod closer to the center of the servo output shaft will increase the torque to the control surface while reducing the control surface movement. In this instance, I am using the outer hole of the control horn and the inner hole of the servo arm. I'm also using 30% exponential on the ailerons, and elevator.

A length of wire is provided to pull the rudder and elevator servo leads through the fuselage from the tail. Once you have the leads routed through and in place the horizontal stabilizer can be secured with the screws provided. The vertical stabilizer is also secured in the same manner. The wing is manufactured as one piece and does not require any form of joining, it is simply bolted to the bottom of the fuselage using the screws provided taking care not to get any of the servo leads trapped between the wing and the fuselage.

It's now beginning to look like an aircraft and is almost complete, with just a few small parts to glue in place such as the ventral fins on the underside of the rear of the fuselage. The dummy oil tank in the center of the fuselage simply slides into place.

The only thing left to do at this point is to connect the servo leads to the control box in the fuselage and connect the RX. Don't forget to balance the finished model. Mine balanced comfortably in the position shown in the manual. All the electronics tested and working, it's time to fly.

As stated above it is a small model with a 6s battery, so it is going to be a quick model. The model accelerates quickly to flying speed and lifts off without any problems. Although I did have to apply some right aileron trim and up elevator to obtain a straight and level flight. I'm going to move the battery back a little and this may reduce the up trim required. Landings are easy although do not let the model bounce if you do it will be difficult to stop it and it will bounce into the air again. I am going to try the upgraded landing gear which I'm sure will reduce this problem.
                                    I found it a really nice flying and handling model, although personally, I would like to have seen it around the same size as the Avanti or slightly larger.

Martin.

Comment

• Nice write up Martin. I have been enjoying mine. I just got the upgraded gear struts for it but haven't had the chance yet to land it with them. I did a stupid thing and ended up crashing it into some trees but it is repaired now and ready to go again.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                        I did a stupid thing and ended up crashing it into some trees but it is repaired now and ready to go again.
                                        At least it wasn't as stupid and costly as my event. I did learn from it big time. Future midair avoidance maneuvers shall be initiated in the vertical and not the horizontal. ;)
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

At least it wasn't as stupid and costly as my event. I did learn from it big time. Future midair avoidance maneuvers shall be initiated in the vertical and not the horizontal. ;)
                                          Good lesson learned but man that was still a tough lesson. Of all your planes, why the A-10?

Comment

Working...
                                          X