Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great! I noticed the decals on Callie's site. That's the version I plan to do.

Another simple mod, I think, would be to find a dual nose wheel (FMS' F/A-18F nosewheel?) and some simple plywood strakes and you have a 70mm T-45. The Navy did some pretty colorful retro schemes in their T-45's.

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
    Here are a few pics of the gray one painted up. It was nearly dark when I finally got it to the field for a quick maiden. I did the basic RAF green and gray scheme. Graphics are from Callie. I modified the front of the drop tank to turn it into a belly canon. Cut the foam , filled it with foam filler and embedded a piece of CG tube. Simple. This jet is I think another example of Freewing and Motion RC listening to their customers and providing what they are asking for. I realize the T-45 is already out there but it is in another class and price point. This little 70 mm jet is much like the 70 mm F-16. Simple but upgradeable gear, no gear doors which often just get torn off anyway, a sport jet livery and plain gray for those like me who love Warbirds. Add to that some very effective Daybright LED's and you have a nicely featured/optioned affordable package. I flew mine today with a Roaring Top 5800 35C pack as it balanced just fine at the factory CG of 162 mm from the leading edge of the intakes. I set my throws as follows: Elevator - 20 mm, Ailerons - 15 mm, Rudder - 22 mm. I am running 14 mm for half flaps and 22 mm for full. I noticed no need for any flap to elevator mix. In my DX9 I like 30% expo on ailerons, 25% on elevator and 45% on rudder with it. I flew it with a new Admiral 6 channel stabilizer receiver. It is very smooth and surprisingly powerful. It was airborne off our lumpy Geotex runway in about 150' and it needed only a few clicks of up elevator trim. It felt very comfortable and tracked well but at full throttle it was obvious that the gains on the stabilizer were too sensitive so I spent most of the short flight at about half throttle. It was enough for me to realize it has gobbs of power and is a fast little jet. I had to keep the flight short because I was rapidly losing daylight but those LED's sure helped see it. The landing was no big deal, just carried some power to a flared touchdown. I couldn't have been more pleased with it. Yes, I am sure Freewing and MRC will be delivering more scale/featured planes in the future but this Hawk is gonna be high on the fun factor list for sure. I have not flown a 70 mm EDF until now but it is a good all around deal for the price. Thank you Freewing and MRC for listening and delivering.

Click image for larger version Name:	20170924_192616.jpg Views:	2 Size:	118.9 KB ID:	98275

Click image for larger version Name:	20170924_192627.jpg Views:	1 Size:	160.2 KB ID:	98276

Click image for larger version Name:	20170924_192641.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.4 KB ID:	98277

Click image for larger version Name:	20170924_192658.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	98278

Click image for larger version Name:	image_16506.jpg Views:	2 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	98279

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170924_225621.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	98287

Comment

Originally posted by vduniec View Post
      Looks great! I noticed the decals on Callie's site. That's the version I plan to do.

Another simple mod, I think, would be to find a dual nose wheel (FMS' F/A-18F nosewheel?) and some simple plywood strakes and you have a 70mm T-45. The Navy did some pretty colorful retro schemes in their T-45's.

Yes. There are a lot of different directions one can take this plane.

Comment

RCJD,

That is very cool! Your detail work is simply amazing. Only wish I had the talent, time and patience . Like my golf game, I suffer from LOFT: Lack Of Freaking Talent ! LOL
        Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
        Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
        I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Originally posted by dahawk View Post
          RCJD,

That is very cool! Your detail work is simply amazing. Only wish I had the talent, time and patience . Like my golf game, I suffer from LOFT: Lack Of Freaking Talent ! LOL
          You should see his work in person....makes me want to start knitting ;)
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

any chance of a 4s version? or is it too heavy? I have the yak130 on 4s and the freewing 64mm a10 on 4s and the rebel on 4s and don't plan to get tinto 6s batteries anytime soon

Comment

Hello Everyone! Wanted to drop this here for all to see. Our Build video went live this morning. Capt. Mike takes through the simple build process for this Hawk! Can't wait for everyone to get there hands on one (especially those Gray ones). Love the customization potential with this model.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
                any chance of a 4s version? or is it too heavy? I have the yak130 on 4s and the freewing 64mm a10 on 4s and the rebel on 4s and don't plan to get tinto 6s batteries anytime soon
                Add a 2S battery and presto! 6S
                Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

Originally posted by dahawk View Post

Add a 2S battery and presto! 6S
                  I do that all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                    Here are a few pics of the gray one painted up. It was nearly dark when I finally got it to the field for a quick maiden. I did the basic RAF green and gray scheme. Graphics are from Callie. I modified the front of the drop tank to turn it into a belly canon. Cut the foam , filled it with foam filler and embedded a piece of CG tube. Simple. This jet is I think another example of Freewing and Motion RC listening to their customers and providing what they are asking for. I realize the T-45 is already out there but it is in another class and price point. This little 70 mm jet is much like the 70 mm F-16. Simple but upgradeable gear, no gear doors which often just get torn off anyway, a sport jet livery and plain gray for those like me who love Warbirds. Add to that some very effective Daybright LED's and you have a nicely featured/optioned affordable package. I flew mine today with a Roaring Top 5800 35C pack as it balanced just fine at the factory CG of 162 mm from the leading edge of the intakes. I set my throws as follows: Elevator - 20 mm, Ailerons - 15 mm, Rudder - 22 mm. I am running 14 mm for half flaps and 22 mm for full. I noticed no need for any flap to elevator mix. In my DX9 I like 30% expo on ailerons, 25% on elevator and 45% on rudder with it. I flew it with a new Admiral 6 channel stabilizer receiver. It is very smooth and surprisingly powerful. It was airborne off our lumpy Geotex runway in about 150' and it needed only a few clicks of up elevator trim. It felt very comfortable and tracked well but at full throttle it was obvious that the gains on the stabilizer were too sensitive so I spent most of the short flight at about half throttle. It was enough for me to realize it has gobbs of power and is a fast little jet. I had to keep the flight short because I was rapidly losing daylight but those LED's sure helped see it. The landing was no big deal, just carried some power to a flared touchdown. I couldn't have been more pleased with it. Yes, I am sure Freewing and MRC will be delivering more scale/featured planes in the future but this Hawk is gonna be high on the fun factor list for sure. I have not flown a 70 mm EDF until now but it is a good all around deal for the price. Thank you Freewing and MRC for listening and delivering.

Click image for larger version Name:	20170924_192616.jpg Views:	2 Size:	118.9 KB ID:	98275

Click image for larger version Name:	20170924_192627.jpg Views:	1 Size:	160.2 KB ID:	98276

Click image for larger version Name:	20170924_192641.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.4 KB ID:	98277

Click image for larger version Name:	20170924_192658.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	98278

Click image for larger version Name:	image_16506.jpg Views:	2 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	98279

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170924_225621.jpg
Views:	2156
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	98287
                    ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL PAINT JOB STEVE! That looks amazing . Kenny

Comment

I have been enjoying flying this jet at Triple Tree for eWeek. I can attest to the fact that it will fly off of grass. Even the lush grass here at TT. We had difficulties getting some other heavier planes airborne off this grass but even with an RT 5800 35C battery in it this plane lifted right off I think because It is still relatively light and flew great. It has very good power on the stock 70mm fan.

Comment

This hawk might be better for flying from our field than the T-45. However, I would like to see some video of it taking off from a grass field. I am also concerned about the 70mm unit having enough power. A video of grass ops would be good and might convince me.

Also I would like to see a picture of the Hawk up next to the A-4 if anyone has one.

The wire gear are basically a show stopper for me though. What size are the wheels? Any idea on when the suspension gear will be available?
                        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                          This hawk might be better for flying from our field than the T-45. However, I would like to see some video of it taking off from a grass field. I am also concerned about the 70mm unit having enough power. A video of grass ops would be good and might convince me.

Also I would like to see a picture of the Hawk up next to the A-4 if anyone has one.

The wire gear are basically a show stopper for me though. What size are the wheels? Any idea on when the suspension gear will be available?
                          The gear should arrive when the planes do. Steve said his gray one went fine off the grass at Triple Tree.

Comment

I know we got video of if flying at TT. I will see if TI can maybe get it published soon. The wire struts don't really bother me especially at the price point for it. I will get some measurements on the wheels.

Comment

Just realized you showed the photo next to the A-4 in an earlier post Ryan. Guess it's about the same size. Numbers are one thing but photos of it up next to other planes and people make a difference. Showing the plane taxiing around next to other planes and objects really gives one a better sense of the size than just the plane all by itself.

I'm considering pulling the trigger because I have some cool ideas on paint schemes for this one. I think it would make a great proficiency (squadron hack) bird. But still on the fence....wish I could pre-order the gear too.

Thanks Steve. That would be awesome.

Comment

A-4 next to Hawk...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170924_230439.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	98996

Comment

Here you go!

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. Very nice shots! I like the crop duster Steve. One of these days we have to get the story of the "Bunny" fighter ....
                                    I just stepped off the fence by the way. Think I'm going to do up a gray one.

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                      Thank you gentlemen. Very nice shots! I like the crop duster Steve. One of these days we have to get the story of the "Bunny" fighter ....
                                      I just stepped off the fence by the way. Think I'm going to do up a gray one.
                                      Excellent! I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I have begun working on my Blue Angels A-4. Yesterday I installed the fan and ESC.

Comment

Some video of RCJetDude's Hawk at eWeek...

TiredIron Aviation
                                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Dyno

Comment

Working...
                                          X