Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW to repair? Bae Hawk, the EDF fan flied off.

I have a Freewing Bae Hawk, which I purchased last year. It only has four flights on it so far, and a few on-ground testing... It is about 90% new, except a little bit of bend on the main gear which still functions fine though.

I am considering to fly it tomorrow which will have wonderfully calm air! I will fly in local RC club which has a run way for EDF the first time.

So I think it would be good if I measure how long it can safely run on a 4000mAh battery with 70% throttle, or 40%...

I put it on ground, nose against a pillow, throttling up... At about 2 minutes 50 seconds, I heard the running loud sound suddenly gone! Stop to check, the fan flied off the motor! what a bummer.

Here are the pictures, it is exceedingly hard to loose up the fan adaptor to put it back to the motor shaft. Any good idea?

I used a clamper to hold the adaptor, which actually damaged it, and using a wrench from another side, try to loose it up... but not working. The adaptor rotated following my wrench, despite I tried hard to use clamper to stop the rotating.

It is already damaged, I believe. I am asking here just out of curious, how to deal with this situation? thanks a lot!
    Attached Files

Comment

• long-love-rc That's unfortunate! The fan and parts aren't that expensive if you look at the spare parts under the Bae Hawk. I would just replace it all. It's around $10. Better than worrying about fixing the old one and having it happen again or be imbalanced from wrenching on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
        long-love-rc That's unfortunate! The fan and parts aren't that expensive if you look at the spare parts under the Bae Hawk. I would just replace it all. It's around $10. Better than worrying about fixing the old one and having it happen again or be imbalanced from wrenching on it.
        Certainly I just ordered a replacement, ban and adaptor. Now I am worrying how to properly tighten it up... This kind of adaptor is not really robust, from my experience so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam1985 View Post
          Hi all,

I’m looking for a little advice on a good colour match for the Red Arrows Hawk. After a few flights the model has a few scuffs and scrapes and I want to fix it up with some paint; I’ve been looking at the Tamiya XF-7 Red (I like Tamiya acrylic paints as I know they won’t melt foam) but I was wandering if anyone had tried this paint and whether it matched well, or if not, what other options there might be.

Many thanks

Adam
          I always take a part to Lowes or Home Depot and they'll do a color match sample can for about $5 or less. Match is usually really good and you get a lot of paint for touch ups.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
            long-love-rc That's unfortunate! The fan and parts aren't that expensive if you look at the spare parts under the Bae Hawk. I would just replace it all. It's around $10. Better than worrying about fixing the old one and having it happen again or be imbalanced from wrenching on it.
            The new fan came this week. However, as I worried, I wasn't able to properly tighten it up on the motor shaft. This is a friction gripping mechanism. When I tried to tighened the locking nut up, the fan and collect turned together, So no effective tightening.

The painful part is there is NO way to stop the fan from turning. Using fingers, just no enough force. Then I use a wood piece on a blade root to stop it, that simply broke the blade. That fan was damaged.

Then I removed the damaged fan, put on the last fan which flied off last time. That fan is still good. This time I only used hand to tighten it up as much as I can, plus some loctite. Without surprise, when testing, it flied off again.

Finally, I cut a slot on the collet. Insert a flathead screw driver into the slot, with the intention to stop it from turning. This somehow worked a bit, I believe I tighten it more what I can do with hands. However, the metal(those collect are made of junk metal) are so soft, the screwdriver eventually scrapped off some metal. So I don't expect very tight gripping. Now I am waiting for the loctite to cure, then to test it again.

Lesson: for such kind of situation, it is better to just buy a whole EDF assembly, other than replacing the fan only.

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

Which setup do you currently have in it? The 2210kv inrunner that comes in the HP version is a great upgrade if you don't already have that one.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...inrunner-motor
              Yes I pulled the trigger on the 2210kv inrunner. Have yet to fly it when the weather in New England gets a bit better!

Comment

• Link to Short video of My Freewing BAE Hawk with fms pro 70mm in-runner. I have fod guards on the macaducts and made up the air loss with 2 additional cheater intakes in the sides ( see under the word Royal on the logo on the side of the plane almost at the end of the video ) Kept loosing the camera crew so slowed it down for the second half of the video.

Freewing BAE Hawk with fms pro 70mm inrunner.Pilot is paulrkytek.I was struggling to keep the plane in the viewfinder, so I have removed most of the scanning...

Comment

• I have just received my Red Arrows bird from Motionrc.eu, and I would like to add a little more detail before I throw it into the scenery. I would like to get the det cord transfers for the canopy, and also maybe a better looking pilot or instrument panel just for display purposes. I can't find the det-cord on Callies website any more, and rcgeeks in the UK don't seem to do the pilot busts. Please can anyone help a fellow flyer in the UK ?

Comment

• Originally posted by rolfman2000@gmail.com View Post
                    I can't find the det-cord on Callies website any more,
                    Send Callie an email and ask. The det cord was included in the graphics set I ordered from my Hawk repaint.

Comment

• radfordc What was the livery for your Hawk repaint?

Comment

• The Navy T-45 scheme. You can see it on the preview at her website

Custom Graphics for your R/C Models! Choose from stock sets or request a quote for a custom scheme.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                          The Navy T-45 scheme. You can see it on the preview at her website

https://callie-graphics.com/collecti...6-graphics-set
                          Having looked at that, also that it's going on a "Red Arrows" Hawk, it seems a waste of all the rest of the decals. I am going to ask Callie if they can just do the det cord separately. Then it can come by airmail to the UK from the USA with less problems than a full rolled sheet would.
                          Thanks for the link, as I wouldnt have found it otherwise.
                          Kindest regards, Dave W

Comment

• Nice! radfordc I should be getting my decal set soon for my VX23 version. Click image for larger version

Name:	T-45-Goshawk-Air-Test-and-Evaluation-Squadron-VX-23.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	322690

Comment

• I flew my Hawk yesterday and I'm still struggling with takeoffs....too small wheels in too long grass. Takes forever to get to takeoff speed and often drops a wing and cartwheels through the grass. No more! I'm going to remove the LG, install a hook, and launch from a ramp with a bungee cord. I've been doing this with a smaller 64mm F-15 and it works slick. Bonus points for having a much lighter jet.

Here's a quick video of a launch... https://youtu.be/TgcKCkdZblE

Comment

• The new "slick" look... Saved 200 grams.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BAE Hawk slick.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	323079

Comment

• I flew the Slick Hawk today for a couple of flights off the bungee launcher with no issues at all. With an HRB 4000 battery the plane weighs just under 2 kg.....which is at least 300 g lighter than my previous flight with an RT 4400 and the landing gear. Flight timer set to 4:45 and landing with 30% left in the battery. Really nice flying performance....much improved over the heavier version. With the battery fully forward in the compartment the CG is just a little aft of the 162mm mark specified in the manual. Launched into a 10 mph gusty wind.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                                    I flew the Slick Hawk today for a couple of flights off the bungee launcher with no issues at all. With an HRB 4000 battery the plane weighs just under 2 kg.....which is at least 300 g lighter than my previous flight with an RT 4400 and the landing gear. Flight timer set to 4:45 and landing with 30% left in the battery. Really nice flying performance....much improved over the heavier version. With the battery fully forward in the compartment the CG is just a little aft of the 162mm mark specified in the manual. Launched into a 10 mph gusty wind.

Looking good, smooth launch. I take you took the ventrals off before you flew to avoid the belly landing ripping them out ? I fly off grass, each field varies but I went a different route ; Freewing BAE Hawk 1020mm wingspan. Take off weight 2010g 21dm2 wl 97gms/dm2. includes fms 3060 1900kv 70mm 6s edf in-runner wt 255gms. 2.6 to 2.7kg thrust, 47500rpm 65-68amp. 1700w. 85amp FMS Predator esc with separate 6amp bec and 370mah 2 s lipo (wt 44gms ). Turnigy nanotech 3300mah 35-70c 510gms. 3.5 mins mixed flying 25% left cg162mm from air intake. 2 extra side macaducts for more initial thrust. Power to weight ratio 1.275 to 1. 1/2 flaps for short take off no problem.
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoFlsGmzlY8 a few blurry bits are edited out which lost about 30 secs video time.

Comment

• [QUOTE=paulrkytek;n323173]

Looking good, smooth launch. I take you took the ventrals off before you flew to avoid the belly landing ripping them out ?

No, the ventral fins are left on. I will see if the survive or not.

Comment

• Hawk to Goshawk…

I always wanted a T-45. The 70mm Hawk allowed me to make it happen while challenging my painting, upgrade, refit, and semi-scale skills for the first time on a “gray” plane. I’m mostly a reader on HobbySquawk, but had to post my finished product as I feel I owe so much credit to all of you that freely share so much knowledge and experience. So much great advice…

Texas Training Wing 2 Navy Centennial livery…Callsign BLAZER 200

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20211117_163141.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	330278 My painted Hawk to a VX 23 Goshawk. I just need a tailhook!

Comment

Working...
                                          X