X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rampage View Post
    It does feel heavy. My next few flights are going to be on 3s. There's plenty of room in the nose to move a 3s pack forward and still get the 80mm CG. My 4s 4000 is actually pretty far back. Given that you can take off and fly the entire flight at half throttle or less, I think 4s is just massive overkill and the heavier 4s pack is probably adding to the heavy feel. I'm also going to down-prop it to a scale prop. The FMS B-25's 9x6.5s should work perfectly since a 9" prop is the right size for scale.

It'll never be the floater that the PSM kit is (Power 10s on 3s for a 97" span plane. Jesus...) but I think it can be lightened up enough to fly fairly scale at least.

I fly mine on a 3S 5500 Roaring Top and it does great, 12 minutes easy...I love this plane :Cool:
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

I fly mine on a 3S 5500 Roaring Top and it does great, 12 minutes easy...I love this plane :Cool:
      Yeah see I figured 3s would work well.

I've actually got an extra set of SkyMule motors. The original blue bell motors, not the heavy ones that're in the Albatross. They're the same 3536-850KV motors from the BushMule which is why they recommend 4s. But given the Albatross' similarity airframe-wise to the SkyMule, I bet it'd fly just fine on the old Mule's much lighter motors.

I almost want to put this thing on extreme weight reduction just to see what kind of flight performance you could get out of it if it wasn't a fat cow.

Comment

Originally posted by rampage View Post

Yeah see I figured 3s would work well.

I've actually got an extra set of SkyMule motors. The original blue bell motors, not the heavy ones that're in the Albatross. They're the same 3536-850KV motors from the BushMule which is why they recommend 4s. But given the Albatross' similarity airframe-wise to the SkyMule, I bet it'd fly just fine on the old Mule's much lighter motors.

I almost want to put this thing on extreme weight reduction just to see what kind of flight performance you could get out of it if it wasn't a fat cow.
        She's supposed to be a fat cow, that's what's so cool about her :)

I think it flys much better than the Bush Mule and the fit and finish on it is very nice, I've got over 20 flights on mine and not a bit of damage from flying from grass.
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Wonder if they will ever be in stock?

Comment

Originally posted by MANFRED View Post
            Wonder if they will ever be in stock?
            Something weird is going on with HobbyKing with this and their C-130. The C-130 had a brief "re-stock" after the lottery and has not been in stock since. It's been months now and nothing. This may be a similar story to the C-130. The difference may be that the C-130 may have had production and quality problems and they picked the best ones for the lottery and perhaps picked a few more (OK ones) for the re-stock. The re-stock was very quick right after the lottery finished and those ran out in a matter of hours. All you can do is "wonder" OR "wishin' and a hopin' and a prayin''. Anyone who knows the truth ain't talking.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
              Something weird is going on with HobbyKing with this and their C-130. The C-130 had a brief "re-stock" after the lottery and has not been in stock since. It's been months now and nothing. This may be a similar story to the C-130. The difference may be that the C-130 may have had production and quality problems and they picked the best ones for the lottery and perhaps picked a few more (OK ones) for the re-stock. The re-stock was very quick right after the lottery finished and those ran out in a matter of hours. All you can do is "wonder" OR "wishin' and a hopin' and a prayin''. Anyone who knows the truth ain't talking.
              You are forced to wonder if there is a money issue going on. First, they let Stephen go and then pull all the sponsorship and ads off of "the other site." And now their stocking status on a ton of inventory is all on backorder. I know they have never been known as having the best stock of parts, but this is the worst I have seen it in a while on not having big items in stock for long spans of time. I am probably way off, but it does make you wonder.

Comment

I’m guessing it might be a case of waiting until they can make up a big enough order for the factory, both these planes are still in stock in the U.K. and EU warehouses, I expect there is a minimum order quantity they would have to hit to get the right price. They might have to wait until they are out of stock in all warehouses before they reorder.
                They also seem to be back as a site sponsor on the other site again, which can only be a good thing.

Comment

I think people are looking at site sponsorship the wrong way, its not that the sponsors are struggling, more that the said site no longer offers a return on investment. If a site charges a premium for add space and sponsors are not seeing a return on that, they will walk, as has happened recently, and not just with HK.

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                    I think people are looking at site sponsorship the wrong way, its not that the sponsors are struggling, more that the said site no longer offers a return on investment. If a site charges a premium for add space and sponsors are not seeing a return on that, they will walk, as has happened recently, and not just with HK.

S.
                    I think you are correct, since you've been in that stable and are still in the business. I don't visit RCGroups much anymore. When I used to have hundreds of subscriptions there, I now have 2 and those are only to milk them for information and to ask the occasional question about a plane. And when I do go there, I virtually NEVER pay attention to the ads, especially the HobbyKing ones because HobbyKing "Google ad" me to death on other sites I visit. I hate being tracked and I hate having ads shoved in my face because I visit a site now and then (even though they claim they don't track me).
                    A site like RCG must make 100's of thousands of bucks a year on ad revenue. I wonder how much of it they tell the IRS?

Anyway, as for the Albatross, I still think "something" is going on with HK with this plane and the big Herc. They sold the first batch in no time at all. Why would they think they wouldn't sell the same amount (and more) if they made a second batch? Big enough order to the factory? I really doubt it. If the first batch was "big enough", why wouldn't another batch the same size be enough?

Comment

The first batch was probably split up among all of the warehouses.

It's still in stock in the UK apparently.

They also just supplied several warehouses with a full range of spare parts.

If someone REALLY wants one and is REALLY ambitious, they could buy the parts for a complete airframe for $215. That's considerably cheaper than the $280 PNP price. Then you could also put your own electronics in it.

Comment

You certainly cannot buy the crucifix aluminum motor mount as a spare part. One of mine shattered after a prop broke, she never made it to a runway or a lake. Probably have to buy the complete motor set IF they ever get on the spare parts list.

Comment

Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
                          You certainly cannot buy the crucifix aluminum motor mount as a spare part. One of mine shattered after a prop broke, she never made it to a runway or a lake. Probably have to buy the complete motor set IF they ever get on the spare parts list.
                          Is it possible to make your own? You have the old broken one that you can lay down as a template. Get a piece of aluminum plate the same thickness and cut out an "X" (or cross as you call it). Drill the holes where you need them.
                          Or buy a similar motor mount and modify it to work. I have done this on several occasions in the past and it has worked. It may not be identical but I doubt the plane will care.
                          https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogs...&q=motor+mount

Comment

I use one of these for my custom parts. I couple this with my Mini Tig welder. Once you learn how to use it, it makes short work of making unavailable parts. I never leave home with out it.
                            Woody

Comment

Couldn't enlarge the pic clear enough to see the name of that vert mill. Been looking for a reasonable priced bench top unit.
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                Couldn't enlarge the pic clear enough to see the name of that vert mill. Been looking for a reasonable priced bench top unit.
                                Hi Charlie,

I have 2 actually. The picture is my favorite, it called a MaxNC, my other, which is also very good. Is called a Sherline. I also have a Sherline mini CNC lathe.If you get one make sure and get the optional rotary table. You can make almost anything with it.

Best Regards
                                Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

Hi Charlie,

I have 2 actually. The picture is my favorite, it called a MaxNC, my other, which is also very good. Is called a Sherline. I also have a Sherline mini CNC lathe.If you get one make sure and get the optional rotary table. You can make almost anything with it.

Best Regards
                                  Woody
                                  It's rewarding to turn this

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZfYOfJH.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	194346

in to this. Started out as 8lbs and finished at 3.5-ish pounds.20 mins op 1 and 10 for op 2.

Name:	5bKs8Zk.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	194347

Name:	6WH0Bxe.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	194348
                                  Planes
                                  -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                  -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

NICE..............thanx Woody. That'll give me a good point to start looking at
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

Comment

Firstly the mount just shattered -- impossible to piece together as a pattern. However I removed the good one from other side so have pattern. Looked at my many extra "X" mounts but nothing that could be modified. In my youth I remember HAVING to use hacksaw and files to make many bellcranks, steering arms, rotor blade mounts etc from alum sheet but -------- ! In my last employment I was in charge of our prototype machine shop (Bridgeports, Colchester Lathes, bend presses, shears, welding, sand blasting, plating,) boy do I miss that as I made many spinners, engine mounts, real oleo landing gear, wing struts, rotor discs, carburetor parts, scale airframe parts etc.

Anyway I found "Small Parts CNC" , sent them the dimensions they came back with an "on file" blank that seems might be workable --- ordered a couple, should be here tomorrow. If it works will post so that other Albatross owners can obtain if required.

Comment

If anyone is selling one of these, please PM me. Thank you.

Comment

• Finally managed to get a hat cam video of my Albatross. I've flown it a few times now and it flies "heavy" because it is heavy. Flown "scale", it's OK, but I like my planes to have ample power for loops and rolls without fear of the thing not making it. I also like to have some power in reserve for getting out of jams. Mine is WITHOUT throttle diff. It turns on the grass by rudder alone. On calm to mild windy days, rudder is all you need. On windier days, rudder and ailerons on high rates, used in conjunction will turn the thing from heading into the wind to going with the wind on the ground. I like the plane for its presence in the air. It's a beautiful plane to see fly by. Mine will never see water. Take offs and landings are best done on 1/2 flaps or no flaps. Full flap landings can be clumsy as the plane can go deceptively slow and it's easier to have it fall those last couple of feet and give you a "plop" landing - not pretty. So far, it's a fairly tough plane but I've not had any real hard landings with it nor have I had any mishaps with it. I'm still dialing in the rates and expo to tame down the "roller coaster" effect, but that will come with trial and error. I will most likely fly this one more in the winter off snow/ice.
                                          Those who have invented gear for this plane will likely find that flying it off thick grass like I do, will tear those things right off. Keeping it a "skidder" is the best option in such conditions.

Comment

Working...
                                          X