First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WrightBrosRC
    replied
    Originally posted by James View Post
    WrightBrosRC - Looks gorgeous, any in flight pics or videos coming? I feel I mostly see this one on the ground
    Thx, the maiden flight is posted on my YouTube channel.

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    DaleD - I don't have any firm dates, but I believe the next shipment is probably early summer. I can't find the post but Tom did speak about how Blackhorse is more a boutique factory compared to say Freewing in that they are a smaller operation and by nature of the beast, balsa models take a lot more time to produce 1 model vs a machined foam-electric model. We had only recently just received a BlackHorse order in February which had the Gilmore as well as many of the large warbirds (Zero, Corsair, etc) and they were gone within a week. So the best bet is to always click the notify me when back in stock button so you will get emailed when new stock is in, but when it is, especially with balsa models, you have to be ready to pounce.

It's been the case the past year that more people have either found the hobby, or those within the hobby already have just dove in even more to the point demand is far outweighing supply across the board. Add shipping craziness and the fact that balsa models just aren't able to be produced as fast as foam-electric and you have a recipe for long wait times.

I wish I had a better answer for you
    Thank you James. I look forward to receiving notification on the next shipment and availability.

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    DaleD

It's been the case the past year that more people have either found the hobby, or those within the hobby already have just dove in even more to the point demand is far outweighing supply across the board. Add shipping craziness and the fact that balsa models just aren't able to be produced as fast as foam-electric and you have a recipe for long wait times.
    This here is some good news for the hobby!

Leave a comment:

• James
    replied
    DaleD - I don't have any firm dates, but I believe the next shipment is probably early summer. I can't find the post but Tom did speak about how Blackhorse is more a boutique factory compared to say Freewing in that they are a smaller operation and by nature of the beast, balsa models take a lot more time to produce 1 model vs a machined foam-electric model. We had only recently just received a BlackHorse order in February which had the Gilmore as well as many of the large warbirds (Zero, Corsair, etc) and they were gone within a week. So the best bet is to always click the notify me when back in stock button so you will get emailed when new stock is in, but when it is, especially with balsa models, you have to be ready to pounce.

I wish I had a better answer for you

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    DaleD I have absolutely no idea.

Tom from Motion RC has mentioned on several pages here, that getting product from suppliers, sufficient to keep up with demand, has been a challenge. Maybe he has some info as to when the Gilmore might be back in stock.

Best bet would be to add yourself to the Notify Me list on the Gilmore product page. The bird is worth having for sure.

Leave a comment:

• WrightBrosRC
    replied
    Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
    WrightBrosRC Sorry, I'm a bit confused. For grass ops, are the stock wheels preferable? That's what I'll be flying from for the most part. Thanks.
    Hi Bob, sorry for the confusion. I have never used the stock wheels as they are rock hard. I do recommend a softer tire, however part of my point was that for grass ops I would likely use more tire pressure and maybe even more wheel space under the wheel pants for less friction. I only have three flights so far but have flown from both grass and geotex just fine.

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    WrightBrosRC Sorry, I'm a bit confused. For grass ops, are the stock wheels preferable? That's what I'll be flying from for the most part. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
    James If MRC gets a good number of these in stock, you should get one. Good candidate for your next gasser project .

WrightBrosRC Thanks for the wheel info.
    Any idea when MRC is likely to get new stock? I wasn't able to secure one in the last shipment hoping to secure one next time around.

Thanks

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    James If MRC gets a good number of these in stock, you should get one. Good candidate for your next gasser project .

WrightBrosRC Thanks for the wheel info.

Leave a comment:

• WrightBrosRC
    replied
    Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
    WrightBrosRC Congrats! Great pics and report.

It looks like you went with different wheels. The stock wheels are quite hard and wear rather quickly. What wheels did you use? They look like they've got some give.
    Thx TJ! You have a great eye for details... the wheels are treaded Dubro inflatables at zero, or ambient pressure. Yes, the stock wheels are practically a slap in the face to consumers. There is however, a balance to be achieved when it comes to grass ops. Soft wheels with wheels pants create some occasional friction on the grass and demand a higher level of attention and elevator control. I may consider added tire pressure in the future, however performance on the smooth runway is most excellent.

Leave a comment:

• James
    replied
    WrightBrosRC - Looks gorgeous, any in flight pics or videos coming? I feel I mostly see this one on the ground

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    WrightBrosRC Congrats! Great pics and report.

It looks like you went with different wheels. The stock wheels are quite hard and wear rather quickly. What wheels did you use? They look like they've got some give.

Leave a comment:

• WrightBrosRC
    replied
    I put the first three flights on mine this morning. 26.7lbs AUW, 12s x 24,000mah (6s x 4), Rimfire 65cc 160kv, 24x10 prop, Castle 160(no BEC), 123LiFe 6.6v receiver batt, Hitec D645MW servos, all hardware is from the kit. It flies with plenty of authority. It was a very enjoyable morning.

Leave a comment:

• CitabriaDriver
    replied
    Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post

What size prop are you running with the FG61?
    It’s a 22x10

Leave a comment:

• 406PIlot
    replied
    Originally posted by CitabriaDriver View Post
    The more I fly this the more I like it. Even with a Saito FG61 TS it has plenty of power.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UdknwpJc4Q0
    What size prop are you running with the FG61?

Leave a comment:

• CitabriaDriver
    replied
    Thanks DaleD. She does float, in fact without a decent (10kts) headwind, it difficult to get her to land and not end up in the long stuff at the end of the strip.

Originally posted by DaleD View Post

Very nice flight. The FG61 does appear to have more then enough power.

What I loved about your flight was the landing. If I am not mistaken, with your set up she appears to be a floater. At one point, I saw what looked like a little down elevator input to get her to settle down on the approach.

Thanks for sharind

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    Originally posted by CitabriaDriver View Post
    The more I fly this the more I like it. Even with a Saito FG61 TS it has plenty of power.
    Very nice flight. The FG61 does appear to have more then enough power.

What I loved about your flight was the landing. If I am not mistaken, with your set up she appears to be a floater. At one point, I saw what looked like a little down elevator input to get her to settle down on the approach.

Thanks for sharind

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    CitabriaDriver Brilliant flight and well done videography. The FG61 pulls it around nicely.

djmoose The additional bits of history are always fun.

Leave a comment:

• CitabriaDriver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• djmoose
    replied
    Let's attach the rudder and elevator with Robart pin hinges in the same fashion as we did with the ailerons. We'll also install the respective servos and pushrods to connect everything up.

"Approximately 100 miles southeast of Holbrook, Arizona, the Hornet engine began running rough. The experienced pilot (Roscoe) began studying the terrain in case of an emergency landing proved necessary. Few options presented themselves in the desolate mountains. A bailout would be a last resort. The racer was his pride and joy of five years. Spotting a green field, he began his approach, the propeller now fanning uselessly in the breeze. The racer cleared the field's fence, stalled, and caught its landing gear in the soft dirt. The racer began tumbling end over end for about 60 yards. It eventually stopped on its main gear and engine. Six inches behind Turner's head, the beautiful Wedell-Williams racer was nothing but a mangled mess. The only part of the place that seemed to have a chance to be repaired was from the cockpit forward." - Wedell-Williams Air Service page 84

Click image for larger version

Name:	snap1.png
Views:	160
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	310925Click image for larger version

Name:	snap2.png
Views:	169
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	310922Click image for larger version

Name:	snap3.png
Views:	161
Size:	1.18 MB