Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my servo's in today. Used the local hobby shop to find a nice metal servo arm. Here is what I am using.

Integy Metal Servo arm 25t.
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...C22944GUN.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210406_171202022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.4 KB ID:	307679

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210406_171120187.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.2 KB ID:	307680

Fits perfectly no rubbing issues with the cover or anything like that. From the center of the arm where it screws into the servo to the center of the first hole of the arm is 18.5mm. So it is slightly bigger than the 16mm that is recommended, but it's close enough using the radio getting travels dialed in shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

• Has anyone done a gas gilmore? I am wondering what their fuel tank & electronic setup looks like inside the fuse. I have a few ideas on my placement of batteries receivers etc, but would love to see other peoples setups.

Mine is slowly coming together. I'm hoping to get the engine mounted today / tomorrow.

Comment

• Let's get the wings done!

Click image for larger version  Name:	snap3.png Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	307964Click image for larger version  Name:	snap4.png Views:	0 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	307958Click image for larger version  Name:	snap5.png Views:	0 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	307959Click image for larger version  Name:	snap6.png Views:	0 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	307963Click image for larger version  Name:	snap7.png Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	307961Click image for larger version  Name:	snap8.png Views:	0 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	307962Click image for larger version  Name:	snap1.png Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	307960

Comment

• Flys pretty well. This is the maiden flight of mine near Stonehenge in the UK. Power is a Saito FG-61TS petrol/gas.

Comment

• Installation photo. Saito carb comes back through the firewall, which makes priming super easy.

Comment

• Made a hatch in the side of the cowl, held down with a rotating pin, for adjusting the carb.

Comment

• CitabriaDriver Well Done! Your Gilmore looks and sounds great.

Comment

• Originally posted by CitabriaDriver View Post
                  Flys pretty well. This is the maiden flight of mine near Stonehenge in the UK. Power is a Saito FG-61TS petrol/gas.
                  VERY nice video. Delighted to see a gas powered Blackhorse Gilmore.

She does indeed look well mannered and that FG-61TS look the part.

DaleD

Comment

Installation photo. Saito carb comes back through the firewall, which makes priming super easy.
                    Pictures are very helpful, thanks. How does the plane balance? I was thinking with the Saito engine that the batteries would have to be more aft, maybe behind the stab servos.

Comment

• I actually have lead on the firewall to balance. I balanced as per the suggestions on here and NOT in the manual. The included balancing tools needs to be redone so that the correct CG is used. That said, if you have space, use a Vanessa rig. 112mm is a good start point.

Comment

I actually have lead on the firewall to balance. I balanced as per the suggestions on here and NOT in the manual. The included balancing tools needs to be redone so that the correct CG is used. That said, if you have space, use a Vanessa rig. 112mm is a good start point.
                        VERY interesting information re ballast being added to the firewall to achieve balance. Would you kindly advise how much ballast was added?

Just yesterday I tried to compile a table with the 4 stroke engine options that could be suitable for this Gilmore. I’m now wondering if one of either the Saito 73R5, UMS 75-5 or FG-90R3 would provide the additional needed weight PLUS offer the benefit of additional power.

By comparison the reported weights of the available engines are:-
                        FG-61TS is 5.2lbs
                        FG-73R5 is 5.7lbs
                        UMS 75-5 is 5.9lbs
                        FG-90R3 is 7.3lbs

I’m still undecided on my preference for Gas power, looking forward to receiving further performance updates. I recall someone here secured a FG-90R3 for their Gilmore.

DaleD

Comment

• DaleD I am currently putting my Gilmore together and using the saito fg-90. I am using super short standoffs to keep the engine close to the firewall in order to get to that 112mm cg.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210409_093012622.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	308199Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210409_092746410.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	308200

I had to use the saito provided template to cut out the firewall an allow for the carb to come into the fuse. These pictures where while dry fitting and testing cg yesterday.

Comment

• Twowingtj can you post a pic of how you attached the pants with screws?

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                            djmoose Thanks for the kudos. Your prefered CG and throws may wind up different. Either way, staring out tail heavy rarely ends well. The Gilmore has a long tail moment as well. So having too much throw on the elevator, for flight, makes an unpleasant situation even worse. The ailerons are relatively small, so aren't as sensitive.

The wheel pants are pretty sturdy. Attach them with screw vs. epoxying as the instructions say. The supplied wheels have no real give to them so, unless you nose over, the wheel pants won't get damaged. I may, at some point, explore better wheels for it.

Going 4 6S packs in a 2S/2P configuration should be doable. Especially if it eliminates the need for dead weight in the nose.

Comment

• There is about a 3/8" ply rib that runs at the bottom of the gear leg cover. I just lined up on the center of that, marked and drilled. Then hardened with CA and secured with 3/8" #2 socket head pan screws.
                              There are four screws per wheel pant.

Comment

• That will be a sweet sounding motor.

Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
                                DaleD I am currently putting my Gilmore together and using the saito fg-90. I am using super short standoffs to keep the engine close to the firewall in order to get to that 112mm cg.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20210409_093012622.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	308199Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20210409_092746410.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	308200

I had to use the saito provided template to cut out the firewall an allow for the carb to come into the fuse. These pictures where while dry fitting and testing cg yesterday.

Comment

• I'm amazed that with the Saito engine, you still needed to add weight to the firewall to get proper balance.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                                    I'm amazed that with the Saito engine, you still needed to add weight to the firewall to get proper balance.
                                    I wont need to add any weight to the firewall to hit target CG. This saito FG-90R has enough weight that as long as the proper size standoff is used the target CG of 112 can be hit without any additional weight.

Comment

• Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post

I wont need to add any weight to the firewall to hit target CG. This saito FG-90R has enough weight that as long as the proper size standoff is used the target CG of 112 can be hit without any additional weight.
                                      GREAT News!!! Not to mention you have all that power at your disposal. I’m am so looking forward to your maiden and flight report.

DaleD

Comment

• DaleD it will probably be another 2 weeks or so before I get to do the maiden. I'll try to get some video if possible. If there is no video there will at least be a little write up about it.

Comment

• A few quick pictures of my electronic setup. Did a full systems test today and everything passed with flying colors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210413_172034766.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	308701
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X