You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Black Horse 2350mm Gilmore Red Lion

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
    This is one where you'll get all kinds of opinions. Here are pictures of my engine in the cowl,
    RB, Whatever you decide to do, I just want to congratulate you on a job well done. Great install work, she looks to be a beauty. Best, LB
    Captain: Got any ideas?
    F/O: Actually not.
    — Captain Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger III and F/O Jeff Skiles—

    Comment


    • DaleD I am not running any baffles in my cowl. It's is wide open with the Saito FG-90 sitting there. I've checked temps repeatedly on multiple flights immediately after landing and head temps are anywhere between 165-185 at peak. I have had no issues with temps or anything just running the cowl and no baffles.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210427_163115112_HDR.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	327391

      Comment


      • RCBobP and 406PIlot, based on both your responses, I believe I will be about ready to maiden VERY soon.

        Today I finished installing the blisters on the cowl and finalised battery placement for an ever so slight nose heavy attitude.

        The addition of the blisters gives the Gilmore a more aggressive look. I am very happy I took time to trim, sand and install them. I can clearly see why this model attracts so much attention.

        More updates to come.

        DaleD
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • DaleD That 5 cylinder looks so good in there!!! Nice clean install of batteries etc. Good work. Can't wait to hear your report on the maiden. We are all rooting for a successful flight!!

          Comment


          • That 5-cylinder engine looks bad arse! If I had known about it, I probably would have used that one, not that there's anything wrong with the Saito!

            Looking forward to your flight report, and take some video so we can hear that engine purr!

            Comment


            • It's great to see all of these Red Lions coming together and taking to the air! Congrats guys!

              Comment


              • Hi Dale, your model will certainly take center stage at the field whenever you maiden her as she is a very commanding model to
                look at. I like your very neat installs and attention to detail. Can't wait to see her fly and hear the awesome sound of that 5 cylinder doing it's thing pardie.

                Comment


                • Seems like we always have to be thinking about the next improvement to our setup. Can't leave well enough alone.

                  I don't trust the EZ Connector on the throttle servo arm. I tightened the set screw, but my paranoia makes me think that one day it will loosen and I won't be able to move the throttle while she's in the air. Now that I have the throws and trims where I want it, how big of a sin would it be to place a drop of medium CA on the push rod on either side of the connector? Or does anyone have a better idea? Or is my paranoia unfounded? (As the saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get you.)

                  Comment


                  • You have company in that department as any connection that I have the slightest doubt of it coming loose gets a dab of loctite or CA just for my peace of mind and also safety's sake.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Karolh View Post
                      Hi Dale, your model will certainly take center stage at the field whenever you maiden her as she is a very commanding model to
                      look at. I like your very neat installs and attention to detail. Can't wait to see her fly and hear the awesome sound of that 5 cylinder doing it's thing pardie.
                      Very nice of you to drop in Karol. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

                      DaleD

                      Comment


                      • Someone took this picture of my Gilmore in the air, so I thought I'd pass it along.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                          Someone took this picture of my Gilmore in the air, so I thought I'd pass it along.
                          DropDeadGorgeous


                          DaleD

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                            Seems like we always have to be thinking about the next improvement to our setup. Can't leave well enough alone.

                            I don't trust the EZ Connector on the throttle servo arm. I tightened the set screw, but my paranoia makes me think that one day it will loosen and I won't be able to move the throttle while she's in the air. Now that I have the throws and trims where I want it, how big of a sin would it be to place a drop of medium CA on the push rod on either side of the connector? Or does anyone have a better idea? Or is my paranoia unfounded? (As the saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get you.)
                            Put a 90bend in the wire just behind the connector. This should keep it from coming completely out should the screw get loose. Also no harm in a little ca or some blue loctite
                            here is a picture of mine doing exactly as I mentioned. The picture is bad but you get the idea (I hope).


                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211018_172409747~2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	327560

                            Just make sure you don't need to adjust the rod before you trim and bend.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                              Someone took this picture of my Gilmore in the air, so I thought I'd pass it along.
                              In one word .... sweeeet !!

                              Comment


                              • Thanks, 406PIlot . I worry that with my luck, I'll try to bend it, but it will break!

                                Comment


                                • Another awesome photo.
                                  Attached Files

                                  Comment


                                  • Is that a super aggressive take off or a fancy tail first landing.

                                    Great photo either way!!

                                    Comment


                                    • RCBobP Nice shot. Still, the coolest Gilmore pilot in the cockpit.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                                        Another awesome photo.
                                        VERY nice shot indeed. I would have loved to see the full aircraft. Cant help but wonder what is going on with the tail section.

                                        DaleD

                                        Comment


                                        • Photo taken by a photography hobbyist who came to our club's annual community fly-in. Great detail on the zoom but you're right....would have loved to seen the whole plane.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X