Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike A Saito FG 60R3 will fit and fly, but a Saito FG 90R3 would really wake the model up and make good use of all the space in that giant --air brake-- I mean cowl.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Mike I second Alpha's suggestion to use the FG90R3. This classic air racer likes to be powered well and looks great making those scale pylon turns.

Comment

I am so ready to buy this plane! Unfortunately Motion has no idea when it will be back in stock.

Comment

bbolz It's well worth the wait. I can't wait to get settled into the new house so I can get back to flying that gorgeous beast.

Comment

I’ve been waiting patiently to be notified on availability. I’m VERY excited to secure one and install a 4-stroke radial.

My only wish is that we could see more videos here until it’s available.

DaleD

Comment

Does a yone know where and when a VQ Rare Bear can be purchased?

Comment

bbolz After Alpha has gone through it and rebranded to Nexa, with electric retracts included, it's on my "must have" list as well.

Comment

I just joined the wait list. I had the Hobby Lobby Pilot-1 fiberglass fuse Red Lion and I could never get it to fly right. I think I'm ready to try this model.

Comment

djmoose Welcome to the club. The Gilmore Red Lion has been done a few times over the years. IMHO this is the nicest. It's worth the wait.

The Black Horse Gilmore sold out pretty quickly, so there must be several pilots out there that have assembled and flown one. For those that have, some shared stories and pics would be great.

The pics on the product page, where the Red Lion is on grass, were taken at my home field, the Chenango Bridge Airport. The airport was founded in 1929 and is still in operation today.
                    A search of the local newspaper archives revealed a rich history, especially during the Golden Age of Aviation. There was even a picture of Amelia Earhart when she landed there in an autogyro. It was a stop for several smaller cross country air races and travelling airshows. So, flying the Gilmore there feels natural.

Comment

I decided to go with the nexus bear at and paint it and ordered the Callie rare bear decals.

Comment

During my usual post season aircraft inspection, I discovered that one of the Gilmore's elevator servos was not consistently centering. That is the most likely cause of the sensitive feel in the elevator control system. A new set of servos will be going in. All else looked good.

Maybe the Gilmore Red Lion will be back in stock soon. I know that there are several future Red Lion pilots still waiting for theirs.

Comment

I got myself a nice present .
                          I found a Gilmore on the shelf in a store , bought it and now waiting for the present to come to my hangar.
                          Twowingtj , Is there anything else from the engine / esc /servos that you would change ? Since i have to buy a complete new set, it would be nice to know what to buy or what not . Thanks

Comment

RC ML Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

I'm very happy with the power set-up I chose for the Gilmore (see post #10 and #27). At over 200 watts per pound, it has power to spare. At the time my Gilmore was going together, the Admiral GP60 180kv motor wasn't available yet. It would be a good choice to power this bird as well. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Gilmore has a lot of drag therefore, it will only go so fast, no matter how much power is available. It does replicate the scaled down 290+mph speed of the real vintage air racer well.

The servos that were used in my initial set-up were well above the torque needed, but were a "budget" brand I had on hand. At least one is having some centering issues. So the servos will all be replaced with either Pilot Titanium or Savox servos that I also have on hand. The Hi-tec HS-645MG servos recommended on the Gilmore's product page should be fine as well.

If you haven't already read through this thread, it might be helpful to do so before you start your build. Black Horse did a fine job with the ARF as it is. Many of the tips mentioned in the thread could help the build go smoother and make later maintenance efforts easier.

Please share your build progress here as well. We all would like see how you set yours up and would enjoy seeing or hearing about your first flights.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE840CE7-A032-493B-806B-540C4DEBE839.png
Views:	335
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	291280 Now who’s serious enough to build a working 1931 Ford model AA Gilmore fuel truck to go with their plane? 😁👍

Comment

Thimble Welcome to Hobby Squawk! That would be an excellent addition to any static display or picture with this classic aircraft.

Comment

Would the Turnigy RotoMax 50cc Brushless outrunner motor be ok for the Gilmore ?

Comment

RC ML I've used the RotoMax 100cc and have found it to be a well designed and good performing motor. The RotoMax line seems to have consistent quality across the various sizes.

A check of the product specs and customer reviews show that the 50cc should be a suitable choice for the Gilmore. Running the motor on 12S with a 24 x 10 or 12 prop would give optimal power and flight times.

Comment

Hi Twowingtj I received my Blackhorse 2350 Gilmore today Looking to buy a electric motor for it the Dualsky 60cc motor comes in 2 kv 160 or a 180 which one do you recommend on a 12s setup and what glue did you use to glue on the windscreen and the things on the cowling.

Comment

TO HIGH TO HIGH Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

Either of the DualSky 60cc motors will work fine. I chose the 160kv so I could turn a larger prop for a closer to scale look. It may also give a slightly better climb rate as the prop disc is larger. The 180kv will give more rpm, so faster prop speed. The trade off is that you'll need to run a slightly smaller diameter prop.

Not having the two motors to test, side by side, in this airframe, I can't say for sure which would be better from a performance and flight time perspective. That being said, I'm very happy with the 160kv motor.

For the canopy, Zap Formula 560 Canopy Glue was used. This a great product. It takes a while to dry, but it holds well and stays flexible. It also allows you to remove the canopy if needed later.

My cowl blisters were attached from the factory. If they weren't, I'd likely have used Zap Goo. Use as directed. Both products are available from Motion RC.

Please post your build progress and welcome as a fellow Gilmore Red Lion owner/pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by TO HIGH TO HIGH View Post
                                          Hi Twowingtj I received my Blackhorse 2350 Gilmore today Looking to buy a electric motor for it the Dualsky 60cc motor comes in 2 kv 160 or a 180 which one do you recommend on a 12s setup and what glue did you use to glue on the windscreen and the things on the cowling.
                                          Good afternoon ToHighToFly, would you kindly share your source for the Gilmore Racer? I’ve been checking the Motions RC site for almost a year now to no avail.

Thanks in advance

DaleD

Comment

Working...
                                          X