Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twowingtj
    replied
    RC-56 Canopy Glue or even Foam- Tac works on the canopy.

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
    Regular wood glue for the canopy? I assume nobody used canopy screws, right? Or would a clear glue like Goop be better?
    I plan on using 2 part epoxy, maybe 6 minutes, along with 4 black button head hex screws.

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    Regular wood glue for the canopy? I assume nobody used canopy screws, right? Or would a clear glue like Goop be better?

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    Got it, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• 406PIlot
    replied
    Originally posted by DaleD View Post
    I’ve read post here which suggest the low rates are a bit on the mushy side.

At least one person has used the suggested low rate as their low rate, the suggested high rate as their mid rate and an increase of 30% on the suggested high rate as their high rate.

I think that’s how I will set up my Gilmore.

DaleD
    Yes this is what I did with my Gilmore. The extra (+30%) rudder and ailerons are nice. The book high rate elevator is perfect for flying, but having the extra (+30%) elevator helps for keeping the tail down on taxi and roll out for landing.

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied

Thanks for these helpful photos. Let us know how the balancing goes. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the suggested throws. Are they pretty much accurate? 10 mm on the elevator (12 mm high rates) doesn't seem like a lot of throw for a plane this size.
    I’ve read post here which suggest the low rates are a bit on the mushy side.

At least one person has used the suggested low rate as their low rate, the suggested high rate as their mid rate and an increase of 30% on the suggested high rate as their high rate.

I think that’s how I will set up my Gilmore.

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    Originally posted by mechwizz View Post
    First time for me posting any pictures here...

I am about 90% complete with this build. I am running an EME 70cc Twin with the auto-start.
    I had to move all the radio gear back to assist with the CG but I have not completed the final balance yet.
    Thanks for these helpful photos. Let us know how the balancing goes. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the suggested throws. Are they pretty much accurate? 10 mm on the elevator (12 mm high rates) doesn't seem like a lot of throw for a plane this size.

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    Originally posted by mechwizz View Post

I am about 90% complete with this build. I am running an EME 70cc Twin with the auto-start.
    I had to move all the radio gear back to assist with the CG but I have not completed the final balance yet.

Bonding all of the blisters on the will be, ummm, a good time, so I have left this challenge till last.
    Thanks for sharing your build.

Your engine/auto-start combo appears to be similar in weight to my UMS 5 75cc. I note, with the exception of the fuel tank, you’ve place most items in an aft position. I will most likely follow your install as a guide. Should be able to provide comparative notes in the coming week.

All the best with your build, please continue to share progress.

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    Originally posted by Alpha View Post
    mechwizz Thanks for sharing photos of your setup! Nice powerplant, and a clean install, too. Very neat.

For anyone else who loves this big beautiful doll, we've got one on sale in the Open Box section. It shows as "Out of Stock" now, but we'll be adding it into stock at some point over the next several hours, along with many others. Huge discount for a small hole.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...bhm1003-001-ob
    Thanks for the heads up. Will MRC supply the correct covering to patch the hole? Or, will the new owner need to improvise?

Thanks

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• Alpha
    replied
    mechwizz Thanks for sharing photos of your setup! Nice powerplant, and a clean install, too. Very neat.

For anyone else who loves this big beautiful doll, we've got one on sale in the Open Box section. It shows as "Out of Stock" now, but we'll be adding it into stock at some point over the next several hours, along with many others. Huge discount for a small hole.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...bhm1003-001-ob

Leave a comment:

• mechwizz
    replied

Bonding all of the blisters on the will be, ummm, a good time, so I have left this challenge till last.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    It's a beautiful engine, no doubt, but I vote cowl on.

Meanwhile, I'd love a look under the hood to see battery/receiver/tank layout and know how you balanced the plane to offset the weight of that machine.
    I’m inclined to agree, will be leaving the cowl on.

I will share pictures when I situate all the internal components and establish CG.

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    It's a beautiful engine, no doubt, but I vote cowl on.

Meanwhile, I'd love a look under the hood to see battery/receiver/tank layout and know how you balanced the plane to offset the weight of that machine.

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    This engine looks GREAT on without the cowl. Certainly has me thinking 🤔

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    Since resolving the issue with installing the cowl, the next focus was getting the engine mounted. After exploring the various options(modify engine box or rebuild new engine box) and talking with Adrian at CH-Ignitions, the decision was made to modify the mounting plate on the UMS 5 75cc engine. The modification was successfully completed and the engine installed.

Can someone please check and share the distance from the front of the cowl to the cowl ring with the cowl installed? The cowl that came with my kit has what appears to be only one small dimple unlike the three as indicated in the manual. I wish to be certain this is the correct location for the mounting screws. See below picture.

With the cowl positioned as per the single small dimple, it would appear that I will need to move the engine forward about 1.5 inches for the prop to clear the front of the cowl. Has anyone modified their cowl any by cutting out a bit by the leading edge of the wings?

Sharing a few pictures below.

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
    Such a cool plane! We all tend to forget the wonderful Golden Age airplanes, great to see they're being modeled!

Grossman56
    I agree completely Gman! Most modes of transportation from that time period have that "looks like it's going fast sitting still" look. Trains, cars, boats, and planes all had that iconic streamline look.
    Black Horse did a nice job producing the Wedell-Williams Model 44 in the Red Lion skin. So many models of this plane look clunky. This one is a pleasure to look at in the air and on the ground.

Leave a comment:

• Grossman56
    replied
    Such a cool plane! We all tend to forget the wonderful Golden Age airplanes, great to see they're being modeled!

Grossman56

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    Originally posted by DaleD View Post
    Just took another look at DJMoose’s last video. Pity I didn’t think to review while in the middle of the build.

I will try again later this evening or tomorrow and report.

DaleD
    It’s On!!!! Excitement meter approaching MAXIMUM. Grateful for the tips shared prior to now, definitely helpful.

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    DaleD The cowl is a bit tricky. As I mentioned in post #31, it goes on much easier if the front edge of the cowl mount ring, is sanded slightly rounded vs square. Then put the cowl on at an angle starting with the top. Slide it well past the ring at the top and work it down carefully from there. The gap in the ring at the bottom will allow it to distort a bit and slide onto the ring.

That engine is going to look great inside the cowl.

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    Just took another look at DJMoose’s last video. Pity I didn’t think to review while in the middle of the build.

I will try again later this evening or tomorrow and report.

DaleD

Leave a comment:

Working...
X