Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCBobP
    replied
    Seems like we always have to be thinking about the next improvement to our setup. Can't leave well enough alone.

I don't trust the EZ Connector on the throttle servo arm. I tightened the set screw, but my paranoia makes me think that one day it will loosen and I won't be able to move the throttle while she's in the air. Now that I have the throws and trims where I want it, how big of a sin would it be to place a drop of medium CA on the push rod on either side of the connector? Or does anyone have a better idea? Or is my paranoia unfounded? (As the saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get you.)

Leave a comment:

• Karolh
    replied
    Hi Dale, your model will certainly take center stage at the field whenever you maiden her as she is a very commanding model to
    look at. I like your very neat installs and attention to detail. Can't wait to see her fly and hear the awesome sound of that 5 cylinder doing it's thing pardie.

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    It's great to see all of these Red Lions coming together and taking to the air! Congrats guys!

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    That 5-cylinder engine looks bad arse! If I had known about it, I probably would have used that one, not that there's anything wrong with the Saito!

Looking forward to your flight report, and take some video so we can hear that engine purr!

Leave a comment:

• 406PIlot
    replied
    DaleD That 5 cylinder looks so good in there!!! Nice clean install of batteries etc. Good work. Can't wait to hear your report on the maiden. We are all rooting for a successful flight!!

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    RCBobP and 406PIlot, based on both your responses, I believe I will be about ready to maiden VERY soon.

Today I finished installing the blisters on the cowl and finalised battery placement for an ever so slight nose heavy attitude.

The addition of the blisters gives the Gilmore a more aggressive look. I am very happy I took time to trim, sand and install them. I can clearly see why this model attracts so much attention.

More updates to come.

DaleD
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 406PIlot
    replied
    DaleD I am not running any baffles in my cowl. It's is wide open with the Saito FG-90 sitting there. I've checked temps repeatedly on multiple flights immediately after landing and head temps are anywhere between 165-185 at peak. I have had no issues with temps or anything just running the cowl and no baffles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210427_163115112_HDR.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	327391

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
    This is one where you'll get all kinds of opinions. Here are pictures of my engine in the cowl,
    RB, Whatever you decide to do, I just want to congratulate you on a job well done. Great install work, she looks to be a beauty. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    This is one where you'll get all kinds of opinions. Here are pictures of my engine in the cowl, as well as my cutout at the bottom to get around the muffler. One guy said I should put the dummy radial and cut out where the real cylinders are to act as baffles. I think with the prop right in front, it's getting a lot of air just between the prop wash and moving in the air. and with the gap between the cowl and the fuse, as well as the cut-out at the bottom, I think it's getting enough air to keep the engine from overheating. I haven't checked the temperature yet, but maybe I should. Maybe this is just rationalizing, but you're not going to fly this full throttle the entire flight, so that should also minimize the risk of overheating. [posted here and the other place, to see if others have differing opinion]

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• djmoose
    replied
    Thank you sir! I can't wait to see yours!

Originally posted by DaleD View Post
    djmoose two lovely flights. She presented very well especially on that upline to loop.

Approaching that time when my Gilmore should be ready for her maiden flight. Wanted to check and confirm whether there is need to cut the cowl or provide any other opening to vent hot air from the engine.

I have the UMS 4stroke, 5 cylinder 75cc installed on my Gilmore.

What was the experience with cooling provision for the other Gilmores fitted with multi-cylinder 4 stroke engines?

Thanks

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    djmoose two lovely flights. She presented very well especially on that upline to loop.

Approaching that time when my Gilmore should be ready for her maiden flight. Wanted to check and confirm whether there is need to cut the cowl or provide any other opening to vent hot air from the engine.

I have the UMS 4stroke, 5 cylinder 75cc installed on my Gilmore.

What was the experience with cooling provision for the other Gilmores fitted with multi-cylinder 4 stroke engines?

Thanks

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• 406PIlot
    replied
    djmoose Nice flights!!!!! It's such a good looking bird in the air... I'll never get over this one it's just a fantastic representation of the "Golden Era" or flying

Leave a comment:

• djmoose
    replied
    2 quick flights. They're my usual pattern...just dialing her in. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• 406PIlot
    replied
    It does most definitely look better with the blisters. I agree with everyone that has said that before me. I know when i got my kit i spent a few days contemplating do I put them on or don't I..... Ohhh this first world problems are awesome to have HAHAH

Can't wait to see some pics RCBobP

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    For now I will fly it with the unweathered cowl with blisters. They guy who was kind enough to do this for me says he will do it on the original cowl, too, but won't be able to get to it for a couple weeks. I'll post photos once that is done.

This hobby is loaded with some really nice people!

Leave a comment:

• djmoose
    replied
    That stinks real bad. So sorry about this. I wonder if there is an explanation? Has anyone else ordered a spare cowl? was it weathered? Not the best look for BH.

Here's the thing...it's not like the main fuse is "weathered"....it's all printed on....so here is what I BET happened. I bet the very first run of spare cowls weren't painted with the weathering....Even some of the actual BH product photos show what is possibly an unweathered cowl.

The bad part is...the product photo for the spare cowl clearly shows that it's unweathered. :-/

Here's another interesting part....the extra blisters that come with the spare wheel pants (Scale Detail Parts - BHM1003-117) ARE painted correctly.

Let us know what you end up doing!

I bought a second cowl in case I wanted to add the blisters. Someone at my field, a much more experienced modeler volunteered to do it. Looks better with the blisters. Unfortunately the replacement cowl isn't painted the same color as the original.

Leave a comment:

• 406PIlot
    replied
    I bought a second cowl in case I wanted to add the blisters. Someone at my field, a much more experienced modeler volunteered to do it. Looks better with the blisters. Unfortunately the replacement cowl isn't painted the same color as the original.
    Dang that is super unfortunate. However I'm not completely surprised. I think this indicates that you got a cowl from a different run or batch than your plane. It's hard to believe but the paint changes with every batch they do. It's sad!!! I don't understand how hard it is to keep paint matched......

Did you try and contact motion to see if they would do anything for you? Perhaps some sort of discount or store credit to some degree.

I think in terms of fixing it. If you do the weathering on the new cowl you maybe able to get it close to the original, but that would require a good eye and hand with an airbrush and custom paint mixing your self.

Sorry to to hear / see this....

Leave a comment:

• DaleD
    replied
    Interesting you should share this development. I originally considered leaving off my blisters but just last night decided to put them on.

I agree with you Bob, the Gilmore looks much better with the blisters.

DaleD

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RCBobP
    replied
    Anyone have paint colors to match the cowl in case we want to do some touchups?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X