X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
    I dont know evan. Today they both flew well in a 10 to 12 mph wind down the runway. Not fam with what the results should be. Just know the t1 with same edf as vulcan but had a 100a esc had higher watts and amp draw then vulcans 80a esc with same battery reading. Normal? I dont know
    I suppose you could swap the motors around if you want to see if it was the esc but available motor specs say 65 to 70amp so its within spec in both cases, looks like its back to the lawnmower or try high rate elevator with more movement than book value. The new T1 motor is in line with Freewing book figures 70amp 1550 watts. It is worth giving the figures to Motion r.c. support to see if t is a warranty issue or not. though I suspect they will say they are max figures not min. How was the take off in the 10mph wind?

Comment

• Take offs were outstanding with a nice breeze. Got everything trimmed out using less elevator etc thanks for the help

Comment

• I’ll put mine on a wattmeter today and see what I get.

Edit...

I don't have any other FW 70mm/ 80A ESC equipped planes but I did check A & W on my Vulcan against my FW 70mm F-16. The F-16 has a XRP 13b/ 2200 hot set up in it with a 100A ESC so not a direct comparison. I checked with two different wattmeters and got very similar numbers.

The Vulcan on a fresh charge got 81.59A 1896.8W and the F-16 on a fresh charge got 103.52A 2474.4W.

Without charging the two batteries I swapped them and the Vulcan then got 79.05A 1807.0W and the F-16 104.18A 2522.2W (tells me the battery used first in the Vulcan and second in the F-16 is a little better).

Highest numbers for each are in bold.

After I fly today I am going to swap a 100A ESC in the Vulcan, take readings and then swap in a XRP fan/ motor and see what I get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
          I dont know evan. Today they both flew well in a 10 to 12 mph wind down the runway. Not fam with what the results should be. Just know the t1 with same edf as vulcan but had a 100a esc had higher watts and amp draw then vulcans 80a esc with same battery reading. Normal? I dont know
          Just tested my Hawk T1 with fms platinum pro in-runner edf unit, 3060 1900kv. meter reading, static model, 78amp 1765 watts on fully charged Rhino 2200mah 50c 6s battery85 amp predator esc. but you really need someone out there with a vulcan with a stock setup to do some readings for a fair comparison. .is your Vulcan stock Evan ?

Comment

• Yes except for removing the blue box.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              Yes except for removing the blue box.
              Then it seems Rons motor is 500w short on a fully charged battery which is surely not right then ? assuming all wires, connections etc are stock, battery is good. Throttle is calibrated .I wonder if the book figures of 1550 watt are based on 22.5v x70amp = 1575w ?

Comment

• i used a very old meter and have a nib from motion..just have a friend putting ec5's on both sides ill re run both the tests on both planes when i get the new meter back

Comment

• "Assuming" is the key word there.

t could be a number of things. Most common (in my opinion) is an old or poor performing battery. After that bad battery connections/ poor solder job (even on new battery or ESC), incorrect timing, not calibrated throttle, bad motor or bad ESC.

Comment

• Ok, I tried a 100A ESC with the rest stock, as below my base line all stock was 81.59A 1896.8W.

With just the swap of the 80A ESC to a 100A I got 86.24A 1939.5.

Swapping the XRP 13b and 2200kV motor in and still with the 100A ESC I got 101.7A 2470.2W.

Doing a hold it vertical and gas it thrust test stock is close to 1:1 and the following tests were appropriate for the wattage gains.

This was done with a XRP that sounded bad, either bad bearings or not balanced. Instead of pulling one from my airplanes I have a borrowed one. I was too late getting one listed in the classifieds and have put a want add if anyone hears of a 13b/ 2200 for sale.

I have batteries charging to go test fly it.

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    I’ll put mine on a wattmeter today and see what I get.

Edit...

I don't have any other FW 70mm/ 80A ESC equipped planes but I did check A & W on my Vulcan against my FW 70mm F-16. The F-16 has a XRP 13b/ 2200 hot set up in it with a 100A ESC so not a direct comparison. I checked with two different wattmeters and got very similar numbers.

The Vulcan on a fresh charge got 81.59A 1896.8W and the F-16 on a fresh charge got 103.52A 2474.4W.

Without charging the two batteries I swapped them and the Vulcan then got 79.05A 1807.0W and the F-16 104.18A 2522.2W (tells me the battery used first in the Vulcan and second in the F-16 is a little better).

Highest numbers for each are in bold.

After I fly today I am going to swap a 100A ESC in the Vulcan, take readings and then swap in a XRP fan/ motor and see what I get.

Comment

• I asked the person I borrowed the XRP from who said oh yeah it’s bad, I took it out of my plane because of that…

so I pulled it out an put in a XRP from one of my planes. Pulls less amps and watts not surprisingly, 95.23A 2267.1W.

Flight report… not worth the trouble. Still flies well and has a tiny bit more vertical but speed was about the same. I’ll probably put the fan back in the Yak but keep the 100A ESC in the Vulcan.

Comment

• Well, parts have finally been posted as available at Motion. As I noted in the RCU thread a while back I really don't understand the pricing. I've been a long time complainer about HH's parts prices and the price for the Vulcan parts are even crazier. $80 for a wing or fuselage, $40 for the vertical or horizontal stabs and the worst, $20 for the tiny nose cone this has. Compared to any other EDF, FW, FMS or EFlite those are crazy prices and honestly a reason I wouldn't have bought mine. Compare them to the new Bison, much bigger aircraft with slats, flaps, ailerons and lights on the wings they are only $60 for the wing set, same price for the much larger and complicated fuselage. Stabs are $20 and $23.50.

I think Motion should be talking to FW about the prices for these parts.

All that said I have a ton of flights on mine and really like it. Carries a large battery for long flight times with out any apparent issue, it doesn't feel heavy with a bigger, up to 650g battery. This is also a trouble free plane, no ripped out landing gear mounts, no loose struts, nothing to fix or adjust... But the parts prices tell me if I bang it up I won't be fixing it and when it goes off sale to $330 I wouldn't replace it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          Well, parts have finally been posted as available at Motion. As I noted in the RCU thread a while back I really don't understand the pricing. I've been a long time complainer about HH's parts prices and the price for the Vulcan parts are even crazier. $80 for a wing or fuselage, $40 for the vertical or horizontal stabs and the worst, $20 for the tiny nose cone this has. Compared to any other EDF, FW, FMS or EFlite those are crazy prices and honestly a reason I wouldn't have bought mine. Compare them to the new Bison, much bigger aircraft with slats, flaps, ailerons and lights on the wings they are only $60 for the wing set, same price for the much larger and complicated fuselage. Stabs are $20 and $23.50.

I think Motion should be talking to FW about the prices for these parts.

All that said I have a ton of flights on mine and really like it. Carries a large battery for long flight times with out any apparent issue, it doesn't feel heavy with a bigger, up to 650g battery. This is also a trouble free plane, no ripped out landing gear mounts, no loose struts, nothing to fix or adjust... But the parts prices tell me if I bang it up I won't be fixing it and when it goes off sale to $330 I wouldn't replace it.
                          At least parts are available, which is more than can be said for certain other brands.

Comment

• They are now. They haven't been. But I agree with you that other brands have had some issues keeping parts in stock (or in discontinuing them). In general stocking issues are getting more common.

Originally posted by kallend View Post

At least parts are available, which is more than can be said for certain other brands.

Comment

• I was waiting to see parts prices, that clinches it for me, I was tempted to buy a Vulcan, not going to buy one now.

Comment

• 20 bucks for a nose cone is a bit high but u got to pay to play

Comment

• Compare it to the biggest nose cone I know of, the big MiG29 @ $16.49…
                                  https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...cone-fj3161105

$15.49 for the also big fiberglass one on the 90mm F-4!

Crazy

Comment

• moton sent me a new fan unit (one that the fan blades dont scrape the shroud) it now gets up to take off speed thanks to motion

vulcan finally flys - YouTube

Comment

• Hooray problem solved Ron !!!!!

Comment

• With a 3D printer you can make a lot of replacement plastic parts very inexpensively. I have also made 3DP overlays for nosecones on several of my models that makes them significantly more robust, in addition to nozzles, missiles, missile rails, etc. that are much nicer than the stock items or represent things that aren't available at all (such as MICA, IRIS-T or METEOR missiles for the Gripen).

https://www.thingiverse.com/kallend/designs

I reckon my printer has paid for itself several times over.

Comment

Working...
                                        X