X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bomb Bay doors--part 2...

First door attempt had way too much drag and binding--but it did what a prototype is supposed to do, identify areas needing changing.

So I did some thinking on how to reduce drag and came up with following, in the order of most drag reduction first:

1. Decrease size of bay doors 1/16". Doors are now 1/8" smaller than opening.
    2. Decrease size of pins. The reduction is small, but turns out every little bit helps.
    3. Pre-flex the door. Folding it back and forth on itself at each corrugation really increased flexibility.
    4. Standardize pin installation so all at same location with respect to corrugation.

All these added up to a door that easily slides on the track and can easily be handled by a servo. So now need to finish the other three doors and start working on torque rod/door connectors. Pics tell the story...Pete M

Comment

• Looks great Dave, as a matter of interest, has anyone thought of opening the waist gunner positions and adding some detail there??

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
        Looks great Dave, as a matter of interest, has anyone thought of opening the waist gunner positions and adding some detail there??

Grossman56
        Yes, I may very well revisit that area someday. These hatches opened inward, hinged at the top, and the bottoms were secured in the ceiling. I would hinge them like that and maybe a spring and magnet to open and close them. Or, maybe just have them open and a gunner at each side with a full .50 cal machine gun. A plane like this is so fun because of all the mods you can do on it. I am enjoying seeing all the great creativity and imagination from our group!

Comment

• Tired Iron, how much did the Shapeways detail parts end up costing you?

Comment

• Originally posted by MANFRED View Post
            Tired Iron, how much did the Shapeways detail parts end up costing you?
            I didn't do them all, go to the link I posted and you can see the cost of each part.
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Hello all,
              I'm new to this forum, and just got my Lib before Christmas. Very impressive. I noticed that the upgraded sprung main gear struts are already sold out! Does anyone have any particular flight performance to report? Any peculiarities such as needing any flight control mixes or other issues relating to flight? I was just wondering if adding flight stabilization or gyro is needed. Also, does it tend to balance close to the given CG if we stay within the recommended battery sizes? Happy New Year everyone!

Jesse

Comment

• Originally posted by whstlngdeath View Post
                Hello all,
                I'm new to this forum, and just got my Lib before Christmas. Very impressive. I noticed that the upgraded sprung main gear struts are already sold out! Does anyone have any particular flight performance to report? Any peculiarities such as needing any flight control mixes or other issues relating to flight? I was just wondering if adding flight stabilization or gyro is needed. Also, does it tend to balance close to the given CG if we stay within the recommended battery sizes? Happy New Year everyone!

Jesse
                Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Jesse.

Don't worry about the "out of stock" struts. They have not arrived, or been loaded on the web page yet. They are expected soon.

Bob

Comment

• I too am a Newbie here. Have R/C experience though. Not in my hands yet as the O.D. one is still B.O. . Soon I hope. Currently do have an F7 Tigercat. It's not the one from Motion though it's from a European company [JR]. Airframe, fuse and nacelles fiberglass, wing outer panels foam with 1/32 balsa sheeting. See is an outstanding flier. Apologies for the O.T. chatter . Excited about incoming. donnie

Comment

• Welcome to the Squawk Donnie!!
                    Nothing wrong with excitement! It's all over the place on this Forum.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Any tips on 3D printer settings for these parts?
                      I'd mainly like to hear what size nozzle tip and layer height is needed to get good results. I've got an original Prusa i3 mk2s printer and several nozzle sizes. I've printed 4 different 3DLabPrint planes (thin wall printing). So I'm sure my printer is capable of some pretty fine printing. I'd like get feel for what's been tried so far.

Comment

• To the guys familiar with 3d printing, what material would be the best compromise between showing detail and overall cost ?

Woody

Comment

• What do you mean by overall cost? These parts are very light weight and won't use much filament making them. So the type of filament doesn't make hardly any difference in the value of filament used.

Most filaments cost between $15 and $50 per kilogram. These parts will only use a few grams out of a kilogram roll. So cost only becomes a concern in the initial purchase of the full roll. These parts probably won't use 10% of a roll. So for this example the material cost would be from $1.50 - $5.00. Plus, you wind up with an almost full roll leftover for other prints.

BTW, I get most of mt filaments when they are on sale for under $10 a roll.

Comment

• I wasn't going to do this till spring but our dollar has been rising and it's likely to not get much better so I pulled the pin on the one they had in stock. It may be a slow build or it'll sit in the box till the snow goes away.

Comment

• I've always been keenly interested in the historical part of the B-24 and the Bombardment Group and Squadrons as my Dad was a tech saarge with the 93rd Bombardment Group 409th Bomb sqaudron known as 'Ted's Traveling Circus.'

Here's the very last Newslatter published by the 2nd AF heritage league in 2012: http://www.heritageleague.org/files/...all-Winter.pdf

Some useful information and real experiences published in these newsletters that help capture the day and even some of the scale details. The Second Airforce embodies many Bombardment groups and squadrons.
                              Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                              Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                              I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Regarding the 3d parts I need to clarify that I intend to have the parts commercially made as I don't have a 3d printer.
                                Was just wanting to know the best balance between cost and detail.

Woody

Comment

• Thought I'd post some pictures of my PB4Y-1 WIP. I'm mainly focusing on paint and then will go into cockpit and interior details in the future. This is absolutely the first time i've ever used a paint gun so everything is very rough. I hope it comes out well. I cant wait to see the final product! Dont mind the messy garage and boxes. I just moved two weeks ago and still have a lot of things to do amongst these projects and family time. Huge shoutout to Spec450 for pushing me to do this.

Comment

• Looking good can't wait to see it done ! Your airbrush kit looks like the one I just got a couple of weeks back and will be my first try at it ? :Confused:

Comment

• Originally posted by Regatoni5 View Post
                                      Thought I'd post some pictures of my PB4Y-1 WIP. I'm mainly focusing on paint and then will go into cockpit and interior details in the future. This is absolutely the first time i've ever used a paint gun so everything is very rough. I hope it comes out well. I cant wait to see the final product! Dont mind the messy garage and boxes. I just moved two weeks ago and still have a lot of things to do amongst these projects and family time. Huge shoutout to Spec450 for pushing me to do this.
                                      For a first attempt with a paint gun it looks really good. Well done! :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Regatoni5 View Post
                                        Thought I'd post some pictures of my PB4Y-1 WIP. I'm mainly focusing on paint and then will go into cockpit and interior details in the future. This is absolutely the first time i've ever used a paint gun so everything is very rough. I hope it comes out well. I cant wait to see the final product! Dont mind the messy garage and boxes. I just moved two weeks ago and still have a lot of things to do amongst these projects and family time. Huge shoutout to Spec450 for pushing me to do this.
                                        Its gunna look sweeeeeeet! Cant wait. It'll be a head turner for sure!
                                        Current Fleet: Flightline Tigercat, Flightline Bearcat, Eflite Corsair, ESM Skyraider, Pilot RC Yak-54 30%:corsair

Comment

• That's gonna be beautiful!:Cool:

Comment

Working...
                                          X