Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I enjoyed your video, that was fun to watch. That's pretty weird, maybe it was just a gremlin.

Your maiden flight however, its obvious that you broke a prop on takeoff and man you were lucky that you were able to save it! Great job.
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
      I enjoyed your video, that was fun to watch. That's pretty weird, maybe it was just a gremlin.

Your maiden flight however, its obvious that you broke a prop on takeoff and man you were lucky that you were able to save it! Great job.
      Thx! Yeah, hard to explain the gear thing. The maiden was definitely a pilot error prop strike.
      There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

CarToon,

I put the Aspire with 2 TT-25's in both my Olive and Silver B-24, with the multi-engine sound pack. Love it. Have Mr. RC Sound also in my 1600mm Spitfire, a 1700mm P-51, a 1400mm Corsair, a P2-BiPlane and even my Beast 60E. Love the system. It was a little tough getting it in the B-24's though and added heat sink to both transducers as well as addition air scoops for cooling. Trying to get the funds allocated for the new Flightline Corsair, and you can be sure an aspire will go in that. People at the field always get a kick out of the sound, especially the gas flyers. Did the video after initial build but since that time I've do a little additional painting and built out the cockpits.

Link to a bad video of the B-24 sound system: https://youtu.be/PhoFY59hrE4

Another bad video of the system in a P-51: https://youtu.be/7dWEjPREUkA
        Thanks! Nice looking Liberator, too!

Comment

• Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post
          Good weather is getting scarce around here. Had some sun the other day and woke up to the B24 calling my name so we went to the field for a quick flight or two. It didn't go as planned...
          WB, Clever video, Sir. Happy you got her back safely and kudos on the recovery on the first check flight. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

WB, Clever video, Sir. Happy you got her back safely and kudos on the recovery on the first check flight. Best, LB
            Thank you LB, very kind.
            There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post

I really like your choice of markings, NoDirt! I remember building a Revell kit years ago and ended up modeling the exact same bird!
              Nice Job on the markings and finish. Your plane is of my dad's squadron and bomb group (446th BG, 705th BS) in WWII. The tail markings were changed to what you have yours painted a few months after the unit started combat operations in December 1943. I made the markings of my dad's unit from when they first arrived in England for my plane. You can see on the vertical tails the "circle H" that was used until the high vis colors came in. Your model looks great in the air!
              Attached Files

Comment

• Made a mount to fit in the front turret to hold my Muvi cam ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veho-Camcor...43590473&psc=1 ):

Comment

• Ive had my eye on this bird for some time - it's a lot of plane for the money and looks like lots of fun customising.

Only thing putting me off is the odd battery configuration, going by the book it would require another set of packs.

Has anyone y-harnessed the two ESCs to the one pack? I've got some 6200mah 4s bricks from another plane and it would be fantastic to be able to use them.

Comment

• Did the first flights on mine on 3S and I love it.

Mike
                    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                      Ive had my eye on this bird for some time - it's a lot of plane for the money and looks like lots of fun customising.

Only thing putting me off is the odd battery configuration, going by the book it would require another set of packs.

Has anyone y-harnessed the two ESCs to the one pack? I've got some 6200mah 4s bricks from another plane and it would be fantastic to be able to use them.
                      I'd guess you could do that but you'd lose the failsafe of having two prop's stay live if a battery failed (this failsafe may only work if the failed battery is the opposite one to the UBEC connection and, if you regularly check your batteries, I doubt it's much of a risk anyway). I think the limiting factor will be space. Two 4S 4,000s are a pretty tight fit in the battery compartment and take up pretty much all the space there is including vertically. If you think of going ahead check this aspect out first I suggest. (I calculate the space you have available is 141mm long x 84mm wide x 30mm high.)

Comment

Ive had my eye on this bird for some time - it's a lot of plane for the money and looks like lots of fun customising.

Flying multi-engined models on one battery pack is not unusual and in fact, many brands of multis do just that. In terms of mah of battery, your flight times will be at the lower end of the what you'd get if you used what is suggested for the upper range. I have flown mine on twin 3000mah, 4s Graphenes, so equivalent to 6000mah total (a little more as Graphenes tend to have more content than the average non-graphene battery). Even with 4 engines, this plane is not an energy hog and the difference in flight times between twin 3000's and twin 4000's wouldn't be huge for the average flyer. All you need is the appropriate Y adapter for the ESC leads.

Comment

• Thanks guys, good food for thought. Appreciate the failsafe concern but honestly not sure how realistic a risk this is. All of my other multi engine planes have a single point of failure with one battery and it hasn't been an issue (touchwood).

I guess my mind turned to the fact they made a conscious decision to spec the plane like this. Perhaps because they figure a pair of ~4000mah packs are more accessible than a single large pack.

I can't see the current draw being too much for a single pack.

Pending physical fit, would also open up the possibility to run 3x 2200 with the appropriate parallel harness, as I've got piles of those things.

Comment

• mshagg The primary reasons we spec'd a dual battery setup in the B-24 were because of CG. operating cost, and availability of batteries. Most notably, there are far more 4s 4000 mAh batteries in circulation than there are, say, 4s 8000mAh. And the way the B-24 is configured from the factory for an outboard pair and an inboard pair, you would still be able to fly level if one of the batteries failed.

Regardless, I agree with the other sentiments expressed here that a single battery in a multi-engined aircraft is commonplace these days and has proven reliable across many platforms from many manufacturers. Personally I fly my FlightLine P-38 on a single 4s 5000mAh pack, and fly a single pack in the FMS B-25, Durafly Skymule, Eflite Convergence, Banana V-22, and all five of my Dynam twins (P-61, Bf-110, C-47, Catalina, Grand Cruiser and Turbo Jet). Not to mention any multi-rotor we've ever flown.
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Wonderful, thanks alpha. Sounds like CG and physical fit the last things to investigate before hitting the 'crazy' button!

Comment

• So she arrived this week. A few false starts 3D printing the detail parts (theres some tricky prints!) but getting there.

Have motorised all of the turrets, including the rear and 360 degree on the top. The plan is to have an Arduino running the show - different variations of moving the turrets and activating gun noises (by outputting pwm to a sound card) with flashing LEDs to simulate muzzle flash. Doubt it'll be noticeable in the air, but when has that ever mattered lol.

Coding is going ok I think, hopefully get the soldering iron out and have a proof of concept working tomorrow.

Next big question is detail. I have a vinyl cutter so only limited by my imagination. The Royal Australian Air Force flew these but details are scant. Toying with the idea of something inspired by our local flying crew "bank and yank".

​​​​

Comment

• Some success with the semi-autonomous gun turrets - nothing went pop when I plugged it in.

You can see here it is working in two basic modes, triggered by PPM from the servo tester (eventually by the rx) - 'off' (servos @ 90) and 'random sweep' where the turrets move to random positions. Obviously need to tweak the code to make it more of a sweeping motion rather than moving directly to a servo position, to make it look a little more natural and to ease the burden on the servos, but reasonably straightforward to work with now the structure of the code is established.

This base will work in conjunction with some mosfets/LEDs and a sound card to create various modes of activity.

Comment

. The plan is to have an Arduino running the show -

Coding is going ok I think, hopefully get the soldering iron out and have a proof of concept working tomorrow.​​​​
                                    MS, Good to read that others are using an Arduino to put some motion into some parts. I think we should start an Arduino Forum here at the "Squawk" similar to the 3D Printing Forum to share ideas and Sketches. Between a 3D Printer, Arduino Boards, and MotionRC, I am pretty certain anything is possible. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• It's one of those disciplines that's enjoyable and rewarding, but also incredibly frustrating at times lol.

Once youve figured out how to read a servo input your mind starts wandering to all the cool stuff you could have it do on a plane.

​​​

Comment

• Comment

• So here's the (almost) finished product. It needs some tweaks to the code controlling the turrets but it 'works'.

Maiden was exciting after I got the CG wrong by the better part of an inch lol. She lived to tell the tale and looking forward to some calm weather this week to remaiden.

Comment

Working...
                                          X