Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post on Hobbysquawk; however, I have read and benefitted from the previous posts in this thread.

Here is a picture of the plane I have modified to represent a B-24 of the 43rd Bomb Group, 63rd Bomb Squadron, Seahawks as it would have appeared during the last six months of the war in the Pacific. Graphics thanks to Callie Graphics.

The 63rd was one of three Squadrons called Snoopers. They flew radar equipped planes on long night missions, single ship, low altitude at night, against shipping. Hence the black aircraft..

Enjoy!

. Click image for larger version

Name:	image3A.jpeg
Views:	718
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	264349Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	679
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	264350

P.S. Tonto 04 was one of my call signs as an O-2A FAC 1970-1971 at LZ English and elseware.

Comment

• Tonto 04 Thank you for your service, and welcome to Hobby Squawk! Your Snooper looks sharp in black. Those crews were very brave, as I recall flying almost entirely unarmed.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Tonto 04, Beautiful work on your B-24, Sir. Welcome to "The Squawk". Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey Tonto, welcome and that is a great piece of work, it looks stunning. Great job! I love it.

Keep it out of the sun!
          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Thanks everyone.

It has been 30+ years since I have flown R/C. Joined the local club and I have been well advised to get some practice before I fly the bomber. So now I own a Pandora. If only the wind would go away.

Comment

• Here are a couple pictures my brother got of my B-24 liberator doing low fly by's
              Click image for larger version

Name:	B-24L.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	265471Click image for larger version

Name:	B-24-2.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	265472

Comment

• Got myself a B-24!.
                picked up an olive liberator and am thinking of converting it to a PBY-1 like this. Have found a LED bulb that makes a great philco turret. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_213535.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	273195Click image for larger version

Name:	20200907_154302.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	273196

Comment

• Spad Driver like the Black and red livery. The led bulb is a nice touch also. you will love how nice it flies.

Comment

• Flew my B-24, Male Call, yesterday and I’m impressed. I flew it on two 3s 4200’s for five minutes and landed with plenty of battery. The power 3s provides is way mite than enough. I flew at a little less than half for most of the flight. I balanced per the manual, it required some down trim. It seems to like a little rudder combined with the ailerons in the turns, I expected that. Takeoffs and landings were no issue.

I can’t wait to fly again! Now where is the B-17 and or B-29?

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post
                      Flew my B-24, Male Call, yesterday and I’m impressed. I flew it on two 3s 4200’s for five minutes and landed with plenty of battery. The power 3s provides is way mite than enough. I flew at a little less than half for most of the flight. I balanced per the manual, it required some down trim. It seems to like a little rudder combined with the ailerons in the turns, I expected that. Takeoffs and landings were no issue.

I can’t wait to fly again! Now where is the B-17 and or B-29?
                      John, I am right with you, I fly mine with 3600's and its still way overpowered and has plenty of duration. I think my timer is set for 12 minutes and I rarely come close to using most of the battery. I haven't tried but I think it would probably fly OK with a 2-cell! Multi-engine planes with long wings do like rudder - on mine I have it permanently mixed in. The only problem I've had is that somehow I lost the wing spars last week and had to order a new set! (I looked everywhere, I know that the original ones must be around somewhere...)

And I agree 100%, I think a big B29 from Flightline would be a real home run.
                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Just asking. Did you set the elevator one eighth up. I was wondering if anyone flew it that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

John, I am right with you, I fly mine with 3600's and its still way overpowered and has plenty of duration. I think my timer is set for 12 minutes and I rarely come close to using most of the battery. I haven't tried but I think it would probably fly OK with a 2-cell! Multi-engine planes with long wings do like rudder - on mine I have it permanently mixed in. The only problem I've had is that somehow I lost the wing spars last week and had to order a new set! (I looked everywhere, I know that the original ones must be around somewhere...)

And I agree 100%, I think a big B29 from Flightline would be a real home run.
                          I keep my wing tubes inside the fuselage, or else I would be forgetting them for sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick2 View Post
                            Just asking. Did you set the elevator one eighth up. I was wondering if anyone flew it that way.
                            I don’t think I set mine like that, does it say to do that in the book? Mine are about 3/32 down after first flight.

Comment

• Book does say to set it up that way. I then read one of the posts saying they had to put down trim when flying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick2 View Post
                                Book does say to set it up that way. I then read one of the posts saying they had to put down trim when flying.
                                Interesting, I didn't read that. Guess I'm glad I didn't because I had to trim down a little bit. It sure does fly good.

Comment

• The book says to mix down elevator with flaps. She will balloon otherwise when you deploy the flaps.

Comment

• has anyone made this model with a working bomb bay with the ability to drop?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vulcan_FPV View Post
                                      has anyone made this model with a working bomb bay with the ability to drop?
                                      Yes, I did, but I cheated - I have B-17 style doors that swing open on hinges. That makes it pretty easy. I am in progress on a VQ 110" B-24 with proper sliding doors. My advice is - skip the sliding doors. Nobody will notice, and it is about 100x harder than everything else on the model.

It's been a while, but if I recall I have a carbon rod down the spine to make up for the loss of belly strength (too lazy to go look...it's hanging from garage roof). Anyway I haven't had any structural problems.

By the way, on my foam B-24, I put two receivers in it, and so a second transmitter controls turrets, flaps, gear, bomb bay doors, and bomb drop. That way I can give it to a person with no flying experience, and they can participate as bombardier. There are always somebody's kids or grandkids hanging around the field, and they love being able to do this. Of course I lose a lot of bombs that way .

Comment

• I have several 4s 5000mah Thunder Power Pro lite batteries. Has anyone run larger than the 3000-4000 recommended batteries? These batteries are 465 grams each and Dimensions (mm) are: 37 x 43 x 136. Thanks!

Comment

• We had a bomber day at the field. I had forgotten how nice it is to fly the B24. Anyway, me and my buddies lumbered around in formation and had a great time.

Comment

Working...
                                          X