X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VulgarVulture View Post
    I'm in the process of building up my Great Uncle's (who's still with us at 96) B-24H "Eight Ball" and was curious if anyone has come up with a solution to the missing ball turret? I'm working with a buddy of mine to attempt a 3D printed version but figured I'd ask in the meantime. Sure are some awesome builds in this thread!
    V.V., Welcome to "The Squawk". I thank your Uncle for his service. Looking forward to watching your progress. Post pictures, please. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I'm in the process of building up my Great Uncle's (who's still with us at 96) B-24H "Eight Ball" and was curious if anyone has come up with a solution to the missing ball turret? I'm working with a buddy of mine to attempt a 3D printed version but figured I'd ask in the meantime. Sure are some awesome builds in this thread!
      Here are a couple of things that may help you a bit.
      I am posting a couple of photos.
      One is with the HK 1875mm B-17s ball turret sitting on the belly of my FliteLine B-24.
      The next one is of the old Freewing 1600mm B-17s ball turret sitting in the same spot.
      The next photo is of the two ball turrets side by side for comparison.
      (Sorry if the pictures are out of order.This site seems hate using a mobile phone for everything!!)

I am also adding a video of a working Ball Turret on this plane done buy “Brandon Moon”......
      Still not finished yet, but has all 3 axis planes of rotation. Up/down... left/right...extended/retractedin correction to what I said in the video... I'm usi...

And this is a link to some “Thingaverse” files from “Tom Hunt”. In them are a couple of files for a rotating and tilting ball turret. These have been designed to actually hold a small camera to pan and tilt it.
      All these files are in inch units. Build log can be found on rcgroups at:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2865454-Hobby-King-1875mm-B-17-FPV-camera-ship These files are for creating pan and tilt upper and lower turrets on the Hobby King 1875mmm span B-17. added step files for those adventurous soles! 11-19-18

*It is not designed to retract, as the B-17 s turret does not retract.
      *Also not that the base of the HKs ball turret is the wrong shape.
      Hope this helps.

LURCH

Comment

• Originally posted by taz101 View Post

Here are a couple of things that may help you a bit.
        I am posting a couple of photos.
        One is with the HK 1875mm B-17s ball turret sitting on the belly of my FliteLine B-24.
        The next one is of the old Freewing 1600mm B-17s ball turret sitting in the same spot.
        The next photo is of the two ball turrets side by side for comparison.
        (Sorry if the pictures are out of order.This site seems hate using a mobile phone for everything!!)

I am also adding a video of a working Ball Turret on this plane done buy “Brandon Moon”......
        Still not finished yet, but has all 3 axis planes of rotation. Up/down... left/right...extended/retractedin correction to what I said in the video... I'm usi...

And this is a link to some “Thingaverse” files from “Tom Hunt”. In them are a couple of files for a rotating and tilting ball turret. These have been designed to actually hold a small camera to pan and tilt it.
        All these files are in inch units. Build log can be found on rcgroups at:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2865454-Hobby-King-1875mm-B-17-FPV-camera-ship These files are for creating pan and tilt upper and lower turrets on the Hobby King 1875mmm span B-17. added step files for those adventurous soles! 11-19-18

*It is not designed to retract, as the B-17 s turret does not retract.
        *Also not that the base of the HKs ball turret is the wrong shape.
        Hope this helps.

LURCH
        Lurch, this is exactly what I was looking for! I was worried about the scale differences of the B-24 model and B-17 model resulting in the turret being scaled too big/small. Are there any sites that carry these replacement parts in stock? I haven't been able to find any.

Brandons mod is a work of art, however I don't think I'll go through the trouble of making mine retract as it would only really happen in flight and therefore not well seen. I do plan on making the other 3 turrets rotate though!

My buddy is taking a stab at 3D printing it sometime this week, I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Thanks again Lurch!

Comment

• Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
          Hi Vulture. Welcome to HobbySquawk. That's an awesome thing to do for your great uncle. I know that someone on the B-24 thread on RCGroups made a ball turret modification. They used the turret from the HobbyKing B-17.
          Thanks for the welcome! My Great Uncle hasn't been able to get visitors in his nursing home due to COVID, so this B-24 has been the perfect excuse to call and talk his ear off (along with recording his war experiences). Lurch just chimed in with HK ball turret!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

V.V., Welcome to "The Squawk". I thank your Uncle for his service. Looking forward to watching your progress. Post pictures, please. Best, LB
            Elbee, thanks for the welcome! If you ask him, he was just doing his part. Nothing more, nothing less. He's something else! Most of the progress right now is getting the research and materials taken care of. I just got done finalizing the decals with the decal maker! Here's a copy I have before some changes were made.

What's the story on your profile pic?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Finally got my Silver B-24 out for 4 flights along with 3 other warbirds. I haven't flown this one in over a year. I usually take out my Olive B-24 if I'm taking a bomber, so I thought it was time to show the Silver one a little love. Almost 10 minutes on 2 Admiral 4000's. Like the Olive (and all my prop warbirds), I have the MR RC Sound system in it with the multi-engine card. With the moving turrets and redone cockpit, the other guys at the field were suitably impressed! After spending so much time working on flying my EDF's, it was such a pleasure to have such long flight times and fly something that just flies sooo sweet and lands like a butterfly. Scale turns with the rudder, a little opposite aileron and a smig of elevator make it look like the real thing. Actually, after working so long on mastering the landing techniques for jets, it really helped me in landing the B-24, getting the nose up and making a nice 2 pointer. It's amazing how well this thing flies. FL/FW turn out, IMOP, some of the finest foam planes/jets anywhere, so whatever you're doing Alpha , keep it up. Each model you turn out seems to be better than the last, if that's possible (hey Alpha, that lobbying for FW/FL should be worth a gift certificate, right?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_100336.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	260366
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• VulgarVulter, I was sent the Squadron Photo by an ol' friend who had thought the officer in the A-2 and crush cap reminded him of yours truly from a former and much younger life. I was flattered but had to inform him that those niceties are reserved for the 'real combat pilots' and not the weekend 'below the zone' officers. Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I really like the way this one flies and looks awesome in the sky, The only criticism I have about this plane, the props are so close to the ground. I have flown it a few times now. and have found if you do not make an almost perfectly level landing, you will tip a prop
                  or break one. on the last flight I made a few days ago we had a little cross wind gust, it tip the plane just enough and I did not correct in time and, as you can see in the photo what happened on that landing. The wing tip did not touch the paved runway. I can
                  imagine try to fly the B-24 off grass, must be a good way to mow the field LOL !!!!!!
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	prop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	260523

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
                    I really like the way this one flies and looks awesome in the sky, The only criticism I have about this plane, the props are so close to the ground. I have flown it a few times now. and have found if you do not make an almost perfectly level landing, you will tip a prop
                    or break one. on the last flight I made a few days ago we had a little cross wind gust, it tip the plane just enough and I did not correct in time and, as you can see in the photo what happened on that landing. The wing tip did not touch the paved runway. I can
                    imagine try to fly the B-24 off grass, must be a good way to mow the field LOL !!!!!!
                    Click image for larger version Name:	prop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	260523
                    When you take off, use 1/2 flaps and get it off the ground as quickly as possible.
                    If you have a prop strike during takeoff and it breaks a blade like you did while landing, the model will crash very quickly. It will snap before you realize what happened.

Fortunately, the B24 will take off very quickly.

For landings, try to make sure the power is completely off just before touchdown. That will help avoid prop blades breaking (although nothing will guarantee that it won't happen).
                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

When you take off, use 1/2 flaps and get it off the ground as quickly as possible.
                      If you have a prop strike during takeoff and it breaks a blade like you did while landing, the model will crash very quickly. It will snap before you realize what happened.

Fortunately, the B24 will take off very quickly.

For landings, try to make sure the power is completely off just before touchdown. That will help avoid prop blades breaking (although nothing will guarantee that it won't happen).
                      I disagree with your landing this plane with no power that is not how to land any plane. landing a plane dead stick is just an accident looking for a place to happen

Comment

• themudduck agree with you on the take off of the B-24, with 1/2 flaps it gets off fairly quickly, even on grass for me. Everyone has their own preferences on landing techniques and whatever works for you, so be it, but with that said I do agree with Wild Man that, IMO, dead stick landings are definitely not my thing. I will never do a dead stick landing (unless of course if the motor dies) on any of my prop or EDF planes. 2 pointers on the mains are my preferred way to go with some power at touchdown. If it's a prop tail-dragger, a perfectly flat 2 point landing with power is a must and then let it roll out and drop the tail. If it's a nose gear tricycle prop/jet, then a 2 pointer on the mains with a nose up attitude is best for me, and that requires power. My big Extreme Flight 3D planes can do dead stick landings all day, but even with those, a flat 2 pointer is preferred with some throttle.

For the B-24, I bring it in with full flaps at 21% throttle until a foot off the deck, then drop it to 14% throttle and ease in up elevator until it get's it's nose up and descends the last foot to the runway. Then, and only then, do I cut the throttle. This gives a nice smooth landing and keeps the wings level ensuring that there is not an outboard prop strike. If you dead stick it, you're inviting it to hit a stall speed before landing, ensuring that the left wing will drop and resulting in a guaranteed prop strike. Dead sticking a tail dragger can also inadvertently result in a wing stall and ending up with it dropping like a rock, most likely crushing your landing gear (case in point is the Corsair). For me, another bad landing is a 3 pointer. When was the last time you saw a good pilot land a real plane that way, but to each his own.

The weakest point of most of our planes landing gear are either the nose gear or the tail gear, so don't put undue pressure on those parts.

I've spent the last 2 years working aggressively on my landing techniques, which were the weakest phase of my flying (although some would say all my phases are week). Every landing is now done with power and in the past, with any plane, landings that I cut power completely before being on the ground usually ended poorly.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• themudduck, I agree with you on the cut throttle at the (point of touch down) to save props, with that said I like to come in with some speed to make nice main and some three point landing and can say with most pilots landings are always the practice practice practice point of the whole flying envelope.
                          AMA 424553

Comment

• There's a huge difference between a "dead stick" landing and cutting the throttle just before touchdown to save the props from auguring into the ground. I've done dead stick landings and I've also purposely cut throttle on planes that tend to have prop ground strikes at the time of earth contact. These are two different concepts.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                              There's a huge difference between a "dead stick" landing and cutting the throttle just before touchdown to save the props from auguring into the ground. I've done dead stick landings and I've also purposely cut throttle on planes that tend to have prop ground strikes at the time of earth contact. These are two different concepts.
                              I guess I need to be more specific on what I am saying here. As you have pointed out there is a big difference between Dead stick and cutting the throttle just be for or right at touch down, This is nor has it been my first rodeo no matter what type Aircraft I am flying they are all different types Sport, Low wing, Tri gear, tail draggers, Bi-Planes, Jets, Competition Pylon Racers, Sail planes, Floats planes. Delta wings etc. I have been flying for forty years, I fly every week no matter what the weather is. I am very proficient at what I do. Enough said The B-24 flying off Asphalt does not need flaps to take off, and there is no need to, as one has said to get it off the ground as quick as possible, horsing this Quad into flying is an accident looking for a place to happen. I like to advance the throttle slowly to full and let the plane build up speed holding just a small amount of up elevator and let it rotate when it is ready to fly Then advance the up to establish the rate of climb I want. With a small head wind of between 5 to 10 and making a shallow approach this plane doe's not need flaps, When coming in at a high angle approach no wind, I only use half flap but carry more throttle then cut just before touch done. I am still getting use to the B-24's flight characteristic. the B 24 is a very nice flying Quad with much more power then what is needed and can be flown at just below 1/2 throttle doing landing pattern flight In fact it reminds me of watching a few C5's lumbering in to EAFB here in Rapid city, The B 24 looks like a flying lumber wagon in slow flight. One other thing I do is use Rudder in the turns to make a more coordinated turn instead of slipping and sliding in the turns. First flights are always interesting the cross wind I encountered caught me off guard and I didn't correct with right aileron quick enough just before touch down POWER OFF. And broke a tip off the outboard left motor all I heard was TICK and seen the one blade behind the plane, We have all been there done that. I strive to be proficient at taking off end landing and do more touch end goes then anybody in this area. Many around here have always asked me how do you make such nice landings and take off no matter what the wind. I simple just reply PRACTICE, any body can go up and bore holes in the sky LOL !!!! HAVE A GREAT FATHER'S DAY EVER BODY, I am taking a few Float Planes I have to the lake and have Fun

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post

I guess I need to be more specific on what I am saying here. As you have pointed out there is a big difference between Dead stick and cutting the throttle just be for or right at touch down, This is nor has it been my first rodeo no matter what type Aircraft I am flying they are all different types Sport, Low wing, Tri gear, tail draggers, Bi-Planes, Jets, Competition Pylon Racers, Sail planes, Floats planes. Delta wings etc. I have been flying for forty years, I fly every week no matter what the weather is. I am very proficient at what I do. Enough said The B-24 flying off Asphalt does not need flaps to take off, and there is no need to, as one has said to get it off the ground as quick as possible, horsing this Quad into flying is an accident looking for a place to happen. I like to advance the throttle slowly to full and let the plane build up speed holding just a small amount of up elevator and let it rotate when it is ready to fly Then advance the up to establish the rate of climb I want. With a small head wind of between 5 to 10 and making a shallow approach this plane doe's not need flaps, When coming in at a high angle approach no wind, I only use half flap but carry more throttle then cut just before touch done. I am still getting use to the B-24's flight characteristic. the B 24 is a very nice flying Quad with much more power then what is needed and can be flown at just below 1/2 throttle doing landing pattern flight In fact it reminds me of watching a few C5's lumbering in to EAFB here in Rapid city, The B 24 looks like a flying lumber wagon in slow flight. One other thing I do is use Rudder in the turns to make a more coordinated turn instead of slipping and sliding in the turns. First flights are always interesting the cross wind I encountered caught me off guard and I didn't correct with right aileron quick enough just before touch down POWER OFF. And broke a tip off the outboard left motor all I heard was TICK and seen the one blade behind the plane, We have all been there done that. I strive to be proficient at taking off end landing and do more touch end goes then anybody in this area. Many around here have always asked me how do you make such nice landings and take off no matter what the wind. I simple just reply PRACTICE, any body can go up and bore holes in the sky LOL !!!! HAVE A GREAT FATHER'S DAY EVER BODY, I am taking a few Float Planes I have to the lake and have Fun
                                Yes, this plane in particular really likes rudder in the turns. It performs much better that way. I just mix the rudder in with the ailerons for this plane on my radio.

To elaborate a little more on what I said before, first of all this plane is so grossly overpowered and will easily take off in 5 feet (with takeoff flaps). That sure doesn't look scale by any means, but like I said you need to get it off quickly to avoid prop strikes on takeoff. It does depends on the conditions... a nice smooth runway and no crosswind, well you'll probably be OK with a scale takeoff. Yes I know that of course you can make a nice scale takeoff run building up speed, and then when you rotate if one wing drops 2 inches from a bit of wind then "pow" you'll break a prop and then the model will snap and cartwheel within seconds. Under power it will happen before you can say "Aw crap". So with this model I prefer a quick takeoff for safety. There's certainly no danger of stalling (combo of takeoff flaps and lots of power). I fly with 3-cell packs and there's still WAY too much power. With a 3-cell pack at full throttle its flying close to Mach 1 at scale speeds (I usually fly at very low power settings). You guys with 4 cells - you can take off and go 90-degrees vertical forever. Which is pretty cool, but completely ridiculous IMO.

For landing, yes you can bring it in nice and slow just above idle with the flaps, or come in a little faster under power, that's OK. But either way the power must be off at that last moment. If a prop hits the ground when its windmilling, it will usually just ricochet out of the way without breaking. Sometimes it will break anyway. But if you have the power on, even a little, then the blade will break every time and you may also break the nacelle off as well. On mine, I usually will cut the power when I'm just a few inches off the ground and let the bird settle in ground effect. Its very easy to land nicely. I know you'll agree!

I break props all the time on my B26. Its just a thing I guess.
                                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Thought I'd follow up on my ball turret project. My buddy was able to scale up a ball turret he found online to 1/16.7 scale. Here is his final result. i won't have it in hand till July, but with a little filing and paint I think it'll serve its purpose just fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3D Ball Turret.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	261432

Comment

Thought I'd follow up on my ball turret project.
                                    VV, Very nice and an exceptionally well done design. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• That is fantastic Vulgar. How can I get one?
                                      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Yes, this plane in particular really likes rudder in the turns. It performs much better that way. I just mix the rudder in with the ailerons for this plane on my radio.

To elaborate a little more on what I said before, first of all this plane is so grossly overpowered and will easily take off in 5 feet (with takeoff flaps). That sure doesn't look scale by any means, but like I said you need to get it off quickly to avoid prop strikes on takeoff. It does depends on the conditions... a nice smooth runway and no crosswind, well you'll probably be OK with a scale takeoff. Yes I know that of course you can make a nice scale takeoff run building up speed, and then when you rotate if one wing drops 2 inches from a bit of wind then "pow" you'll break a prop and then the model will snap and cartwheel within seconds. Under power it will happen before you can say "Aw crap". So with this model I prefer a quick takeoff for safety. There's certainly no danger of stalling (combo of takeoff flaps and lots of power). I fly with 3-cell packs and there's still WAY too much power. With a 3-cell pack at full throttle its flying close to Mach 1 at scale speeds (I usually fly at very low power settings). You guys with 4 cells - you can take off and go 90-degrees vertical forever. Which is pretty cool, but completely ridiculous IMO.

For landing, yes you can bring it in nice and slow just above idle with the flaps, or come in a little faster under power, that's OK. But either way the power must be off at that last moment. If a prop hits the ground when its windmilling, it will usually just ricochet out of the way without breaking. Sometimes it will break anyway. But if you have the power on, even a little, then the blade will break every time and you may also break the nacelle off as well. On mine, I usually will cut the power when I'm just a few inches off the ground and let the bird settle in ground effect. Its very easy to land nicely. I know you'll agree!

I break props all the time on my B26. Its just a thing I guess.
                                        I solved this problem for the B-24 and the low ground clearance and getting behind the curve in a cross wind. I made and installed Wing tip wheels just like on the B-52. The out board wing tip Training wheels I designed keep the out board props From hitting the tarmac, if you accidentally do not correct for a cross wind on landing. WORKS GREAT

Comment

• I decided not to put wing tip wheels on my B-24 Finally got in a set of props and took the B-24 out and flew it for it's second flight. She's a great easy flying quad here is a video I took tonight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqANnXgRDM&t=10s

Comment

Working...
                                          X