Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for sharing the prop tip, I'd like to do something similar. If I could mount it reasonably perpendicular to the work surface, wouldn't any rod/tube/bolt of appropriate diameter work instead of the motor to turn the prop on?

Comment

• Originally posted by JDill View Post
      I used an idea from a Youtube video to cut down 4 3-bladed props on my B-24. In the video they made a 3d printed fixture. I just used two blocks of wood, one to mount a motor to and the other with a hole drilled to fit the business end of my Dremel. Then I clamped them to the edge of my work table with another wood piece between to get the proper height/spacing. It worked great to get an accurate cut on each blade. Then I just used a file to round the tips to their original shape and painted the tips. two of them were perfectly balanced and the other two were close. It was actually pretty easy other than there were 4 blades! Cut down was from the original 9.5" to 8.3".

Video link: https://youtu.be/MxHMUbuMAYs
      Great work JDill . Where do you fly in TC. Used to live there, actually out in the forest at Spider Lake for about 25 years before moving to Miami and the Keys. It's an absolutely beautiful area, definitely miss it in the summer, especially during cherry season.
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by TedP View Post
        Thanks for sharing the prop tip, I'd like to do something similar. If I could mount it reasonably perpendicular to the work surface, wouldn't any rod/tube/bolt of appropriate diameter work instead of the motor to turn the prop on?
        I'm sure that would work just fine if there's no slop and the prop is held down in place. I have spare small motors and used one of those with a prop adapter that was the perfect fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Great work JDill . Where do you fly in TC. Used to live there, actually out in the forest at Spider Lake for about 25 years before moving to Miami and the Keys. It's an absolutely beautiful area, definitely miss it in the summer, especially during cherry season.
          Hi Hugh. I fly with the local RC club and they have 2 fields, one by the Interlochen airport and the other just east of Silver Lake in the "Chums Corners" area. I do a fair amount of kayaking and Spider Lake is one of my destinations! I paddled there twice this year and took an RC boat and floatplane on one of the trips. I moved here 7 years ago from the middle of the "Mitten" for the biking, hiking, kayaking, and cross-country skiing. I do love it here. We live near Long Lake SW of TC.

Comment

• Rough day for Little Lil today... Climbing out from a low pass and at some point lost all motor and radio power and got to watch it coast up into a tail slide, and then slowly, but vertically, spiral straight in.

I haven't re-connected anything to try to duplicate it or see what failed yet, but everything seems to point to the UBEC to me since it was a complete, sudden lockout of everything for what had to be about 10 seconds of no-control before the impact.

I will certainly be getting another one once they are back in-stock, but I don't know if I have the patience to re-do that camo scheme again.

Comment

• That's a shame. What kind of radio? Any telemetry or logging?
              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TLewis95 View Post
                Rough day for Little Lil today... Climbing out from a low pass and at some point lost all motor and radio power and got to watch it coast up into a tail slide, and then slowly, but vertically, spiral straight in.

I haven't re-connected anything to try to duplicate it or see what failed yet, but everything seems to point to the UBEC to me since it was a complete, sudden lockout of everything for what had to be about 10 seconds of no-control before the impact.

I will certainly be getting another one once they are back in-stock, but I don't know if I have the patience to re-do that camo scheme again.
                I wouldn't rule out signal loss either.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
                  That's a shame. What kind of radio? Any telemetry or logging?
                  Dx6 and an Admiral RX1000. No telemetry or logging. Ill rig it all back up tonight or tomorrow and see if I can get power to anything.

Comment

...I haven't re-connected anything to try to duplicate it or see what failed yet...
                    Oh, sorry to see that...looks like an 88mm flak battery placed a lucky shot. You did a wonderful paint job there. I know what you mean about not having enough patience to re-do it. What is fun the first time is kind of tedious the second time. It might be easier to do a completely unrelated livery to keep it more interesting.

Comment

Admiral RX1000.
                      This is not the first and only case of signal loss and airplane loss for this RX. The equivalent Lemon version can be fitted with a satellite. No satellite, no trust.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        This is not the first and only case of signal loss and airplane loss for this RX. The equivalent Lemon version can be fitted with a satellite. No satellite, no trust.
                        Lemon, I'm sorry. The name Explains it LEMON. LOL!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post

Lemon, I'm sorry. The name Explains it LEMON. LOL!!!!!
                          Wild Man
                          I believe that you missed xviper point he was eluding to in that the newer diversity antenna receivers are better used with a satellite to help with more solid RF propagation.
                          The Admiral 10 channel doesn't have the satellite capability whereas the Lemon channel does. A lemon label is not a bad thing.
                          The brands are a personal choice much like an automobile. I dumped Spektrum over five years ago because of losses(and over pricing) and switched to Lemons with nary an issue since.
                          Best regards,
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                            A lemon label is not a bad thing.
                            Exactly! I've tried on several occasions in the past to explain the "Lemon" name, but it gets lost to those with Western thinking and can't see beyond their own connotations, biases and limited vision. I won't go into it again.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Wild Man
                              I believe that you missed xviper point he was eluding to in that the newer diversity antenna receivers are better used with a satellite to help with more solid RF propagation.
                              The Admiral 10 channel doesn't have the satellite capability whereas the Lemon channel does. A lemon label is not a bad thing.
                              The brands are a personal choice much like an automobile. I dumped Spektrum over five years ago because of losses(and over pricing) and switched to Lemons with nary an issue since.
                              Best regards,
                              Hey Guys,

The Lemon 10ch and the Admiral RX1000 10ch are the exact same unit, the only difference is the label. "Lemon" or "Admiral" are just brand names, they are the same receiver from the same manufacturer and they both have a satellite port.
                              As Xviper said, the use of the optional satellite receiver is highly recommended. TLewis95, very sorry to see that happen and I hope that you can carry on!
                              Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                Exactly! I've tried on several occasions in the past to explain the "Lemon" name, but it gets lost to those with Western thinking and can't see beyond their own connotations, biases and limited vision. I won't go into it again.
                                ...."but it gets lost to those with Western thinking".... Aren't you "Western"? You live in a Western province of a Western country. You eat, sleep and breathe Western. You probably have a Western hat; Western boots and Western clothing which, according to this label, means you can't see beyond your own connotations; bias and limited vision...There are two kinds of lemons: Bad products and Citrus fruit. It's a conundrum.....

Comment

• Thanks for the advice guys. I have never messed with Sat Rxs, but will be ordering two, one for this Rx and my next B-24, and one for my F-86 that uses the 6 Channel Admiral Rx.

Everything else I have uses Spectrum AR610s and I have never had any signal issues with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by AirHead View Post

...."but it gets lost to those with Western thinking".... Aren't you "Western"? You live in a Western province of a Western country. You eat, sleep and breathe Western. You probably have a Western hat; Western boots and Western clothing which, according to this label, means you can't see beyond your own connotations; bias and limited vision...There are two kinds of lemons: Bad products and Citrus fruit. It's a conundrum.....
                                    Please read my reply again. Note the whole sentence: "those with Western thinking AND can't see beyond their own connotations, biases and limited vision". I CAN see beyond the western connotations, biases and limited vision. I CAN see why Asians use the term "lemon" to name something and it has nothing to do with "bad products". That's all I'm going to say about this. It's been beaten to death before. If you can't understand any of this, you never will. Please continue to debate this with yourself.

Comment

• C'mon, you're too serious man and I'm not as dumb as you might think. We're supposed to laugh. I've understood every word about this topic since I mentioned my opinion weeks ago. I realize it's not a big deal. But I can see you are a man of serious principle and lots of rocket scientist experience. Nothing wrong with that and idiots fall by the wayside. But, you might want to drop the X from your handle and just go with Viper. Many who post on this forum gets a strike from the Viper...Carry On Bravely.

Comment

• I have had plenty of Bad UBEC (4), Only one bad receiver-Orange with stabilization. I think the BEC is at least as much of a possibility as the receiver if not more. I now have radios that transmit the receiver power numbers and log. It probably won't help in the air, but it has saved at least one plane while testing on the bench.
                                        Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by AirHead View Post
                                          C'mon, you're too serious man and I'm not as dumb as you might think. We're supposed to laugh. I've understood every word about this topic since I mentioned my opinion weeks ago. I realize it's not a big deal. But I can see you are a man of serious principle and lots of rocket scientist experience. Nothing wrong with that and idiots fall by the wayside. But, you might want to drop the X from your handle and just go with Viper. Many who post on this forum gets a strike from the Viper...Carry On Bravely.
                                          Well, put a smilie in so I know you're jesting. BTW, not a rocket scientist, but I do have 20 years of brain surgery experience (not the human kind).

Comment

Working...
                                          X