Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightline 1600 P 38 or FMS 1700 P 51?

My son has mastered his 48" Mini Apprentcice (loops, rolls, touch and go, etc) and wants to move on to a warbird. He really likes the Flightline 1600 P 38 and the FMS 1700 P 51 ( to a lesser the FMS 1450 P 51 and Freewing 1400 P 51). I want to gift him the plane, transmitter, receiver, charger and battery but know little about RC planes. Although not a determining factor, I'd like to also include a sound system which seems much easier to install on a P 51 than the P38. Which of these planes would be easier to fly and whatever you recommend, which transmitter, receiver, charger and battery would you recommend to go with it? I would probably purchase most, if not all, of this from Motion RC. Thanks to all for your expertise and guidance.

The 51 will be more forgiving I think. The p38 needs alot more speed especially in turns

Comment

Hello ICM,
      OK........has he mastered a tail dragger.
      Jumping from a trike gear 48" trainer to a 57" much heavier warbird can be intimidating without the proper skill sets.
      Warbirds CANNOT be floated in for landings like trainers.
      That mini Apprentice had SAFE and the next question is can he handle winds without it.
      I would seriously recommend the E-flite Mustang as his next step in acquiring the skill sets needed for warbirds.
      I've seen to many beginner pilots try to run before they walk because of that sparkle in their eye for a warbird and it usually doesn't end well. ;)

Best regards,
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

He flies in expert mode and hasn't used SAFE in a long time, if that makes a difference.

Comment

Those Apprentice airplanes are also easier to fly because they feature an AS3X stabilizer. The plane stabilizes it's self like when you let go of the sticks the airplane centers its self.
          It makes it easier to fly smoothly in any conditions specially when its windy .
          I would also recommend sticking with any E-fllte airplane with AS3X like the 48" P-51 BNF . It would just require using a 6 Channel Spektrum Compatible Radio.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...1d-mustang-bnf

Comment

+1, stick with the eflight for a bit, you'll have greater success and the mustang is a cool plane
            rc flyin addict

Comment

The P-38 is beautiful, but it is complex and really needs a lot more experience on the sticks to be successful. Go for the e-flite P-51 if he has to have a warbird. Normally I wouldn't recommend anything past an intermediate trainer for a second model, but you know your son better than we do. Good luck!

Comment

I agree with Ocalavol and OV10. Obviously the FlightLine P-38 has a special place in my heart, but in the context of your request for your son, the Eflite P-51 is a better choice. Taildraggers can be intimidating.... buy spare props. Be safe and have fun!
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

It seems almost every RC modeler must have a P-51 in their collection at some point. I have both the FL P-38 and the 1450mm FMS P-51 and the 1700mm FMS Corsair. Knowing what I know about these, I would steer clear of the 1700mm P-51. It will be somewhat underpowered and "mushy". The smaller P-51 is a better choice, however, if your son (or you) are willing to do mods to upgrade the power, then go for it. But bone stock, out of the box, the P-38 is a better plane. Having said this, I mimic what others have said and advise to go with the Eflite version if the P-51 is the final decision. Mastering an Apprentice may not necessarily be a good prerequisite for a large warbird.

Comment

How about the Flightline Tigercat? I would agree the P-38 should not be next, and if he wants a warbird ,a great 1st warbird contender is the Tigercat..its a gentle flyer ..while the P-51 isnt a real hard plane to fly, it does require a bit more coordination for for take offs and landings since its a taildragger.
                    www.TSHobbies.com
                    Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

I agree the FLRC Tigercat is very stable and super forgiving, I would recommending it as a warbird trainer/transition plane.

Comment

As for an ideal single engine warbird trainer/transition plane I would recommend the E-flite T-28 Trojan with AS3X. I have a Dynam T-28 and its been a great transition trainer coming from a high wing trainer. However the E-flite P-51 would be a good 2nd choice only because its the only Mustang that has an AS3X stabilizer that would make it easier to handle for a newbie.
                        If he really wants a twin engine plane then I would also recommend a Tigercat over a P-38. I have flown them both in PC flight simulators and the Tigercat is a joy to fly compared to the P-38 which requires more skills.

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Comment

I read your message and took some time to think about this.
                          I realize that he can do all the maneuvers with the Apprentice, but a taildragger, and a 1700mm taildragger at that.... I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't end well. In the years I've been on this forum, I've heard of one fellow who flew an FW-190 successfully right out of the gate. It wasn't long after that it ended up lining a trash can though.
                          Think of it this way, your son has mastered the Geo Metro with an automatic transmission, can back it up and park it, change lanes all the basic maneuvers. Now, is he ready to hop into a Ferrari and hit the highway?
                          First of all, I hope he's flying from an RC airfield and not off some back street and that he has signed up with the AMA to have some insurance against property damage not to mention people damage.
                          Don't forget that a good RC club can buddy box with him through the first flight jitters as well.
                          Taildraggers, in taking off, want to pull you off to the left in the worst way and if you're not ready for it, it doesn't end well. You have to maintain back elevator otherwise you'll stand them up on their noses, the results are obvious. You DEFINITELY cannot land a warbird by pulling off the throttle and plopping it on the ground, take it from personal experience.
                          Most of us flew a Freewing Pandora in low wing taildragger configuration until we could do 50 successful consecutive landings and could nail every aspect of flight. Even then, I had a lot of 'interesting' moments with my 1400mm Mustangs.
                          I'd like to throw my two cents in here as well, the easiest single engine warbird I've flown to date (I haven't any experience with the E flite birds suggested above) is the FlightLine RC 1200mm Bearcat and would highly recommend it as a first warbird.
                          Whatever you decide, I wish him the best of luck and success, keep us informed, I'd like to hear.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                            I read your message and took some time to think about this.
                            I realize that he can do all the maneuvers with the Apprentice, but a taildragger, and a 1700mm taildragger at that.... I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't end well. In the years I've been on this forum, I've heard of one fellow who flew an FW-190 successfully right out of the gate. It wasn't long after that it ended up lining a trash can though.
                            Think of it this way, your son has mastered the Geo Metro with an automatic transmission, can back it up and park it, change lanes all the basic maneuvers. Now, is he ready to hop into a Ferrari and hit the highway?
                            First of all, I hope he's flying from an RC airfield and not off some back street and that he has signed up with the AMA to have some insurance against property damage not to mention people damage.
                            Don't forget that a good RC club can buddy box with him through the first flight jitters as well.
                            Taildraggers, in taking off, want to pull you off to the left in the worst way and if you're not ready for it, it doesn't end well. You have to maintain back elevator otherwise you'll stand them up on their noses, the results are obvious. You DEFINITELY cannot land a warbird by pulling off the throttle and plopping it on the ground, take it from personal experience.
                            Most of us flew a Freewing Pandora in low wing taildragger configuration until we could do 50 successful consecutive landings and could nail every aspect of flight. Even then, I had a lot of 'interesting' moments with my 1400mm Mustangs.
                            I'd like to throw my two cents in here as well, the easiest single engine warbird I've flown to date (I haven't any experience with the E flite birds suggested above) is the FlightLine RC 1200mm Bearcat and would highly recommend it as a first warbird.
                            Whatever you decide, I wish him the best of luck and success, keep us informed, I'd like to hear.

Grossman56
                            Very solid advice...
                            TiredIron Aviation
                            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

If you want to go P-51 for him, the 1200mm Eflite would be much better than an FMS plane. But, the P-38 is an outstanding bird. I have 2, they're fantastic. But, probably not for a while until he's mastered a tamer warbird.

Good luck!

Comment

I’m new to RC planes and currently I am flying a horizon hobby carbon cub I have never flown a plane before this I also get a lot of simulator time about an hour a day and have flown in calm, breezy and windy conditions and now I am looking to buy a warbird I am looking at eflite p39 and the eflite p51, I like the idea of the safe but don’t want to use it as a crutch, I haa a be been flying in beginner mode in the windy elements, am I on the right path or should I look at another bird

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
                                  I’m new to RC planes and currently I am flying a horizon hobby carbon cub I have never flown a plane before this I also get a lot of simulator time about an hour a day and have flown in calm, breezy and windy conditions and now I am looking to buy a warbird I am looking at eflite p39 and the eflite p51, I like the idea of the safe but don’t want to use it as a crutch, I haa a be been flying in beginner mode in the windy elements, am I on the right path or should I look at another bird
                                  Hi there, read post #13. My buddies are off their Apprentices and into Pandoras and are finding them to be enough of a challenge. I recommended that they install an A3L gyro as well as invest in some spare parts. The good news is, at least in my case, both my Pandoras are still flying after a few gear swaps, several prop and cowling replacements and one wing set replacement (P-2 has P-1's original wings)and this is 5 years later. Do I still fly them?? Regularly, they're great wind birds and I love hovering them in a head wind and can even get them to fly sideways, just a lot of fun when I'm not looking for speed.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                  X