X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is FlightLine RC capable of a 1/16.7 scale B-29

With the HK B-17 and the new FL B-24 both at 1/16.7 scale I’ve thought many times about the missing piece of the US bomber command in WWII, the B-29.
    Is FlightLine RC capable of doing a bomber this size? A wingspan of 101.5 inches and a fuselage length of 71 inches. That’s daunting.

How many would even be interested in something like that...?

Click image for larger version

Name:	51D57991-DD4A-4458-9718-233100B8E966.jpeg
Views:	1804
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	115369

Lack of market for such a large and expensive model would be the thing that prevents them from doing it.

Its definitely into the size requiring something bigger than an average family car for transport even with taking off the wings and tail-planes. The fuselage wouldn't fit in less than a Suburban or larger "mini van" if the tail-planes don't come off.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Personally, I’d prefer slightly smaller at 1/18 scale, 94” span, 66” length, but I think that the B-29 is a must at some point. With its high aspect ratio, it’s a lot more compact then you would think. Fuselage would likely be shipped on two pieces, and mated where the sections were on the full scale, just forward of the fire control chair. A 2 piece wing like the B-24, and it would be quite reasonable to tranport, and have an amazing presence in the air. The tail wings could even be made movable sort of like the outer wing panels on the P-38 to really make transport easy.

That said, I would buy a B-29 in pretty much any size from FL. Or maybe multiples.

Comment

I'd buy one, or two.

Comment

That 5 inch fuselage length difference would be significant in being able to fit it in more vehicles.

Comment

It would/will sell like hotcakes...I'll need at least two.

TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Of everyone I fly with, there seems to be three types.

The trying the hobby out group that never really gets too serious and flies a trainer forever...20%
              The mid-gang that buys all the three cell birds out there and piles them into whatever they drive, may own some 4s birds...70%
              The high end hobbiests. Can charge anything, haul anything, fly anything, as RC is their gig... 10%

So clearly, 90% of the RC folks I know will never even consider an airplane of this type.
              This is purely my own observation based in loose figures.
              Your experience may vary depending on locally available expendable income per household and weather conditions!

That said, none of that 90% around here own even one FlightLine RC airplane.
              Guess which group I’m in...;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                Of everyone I fly with, there seems to be three types.

The trying the hobby out group that never really gets too serious and flies a trainer forever...20%
                The mid-gang that buys all the three cell birds out there and piles them into whatever they drive, may own some 4s birds...70%
                The high end hobbiests. Can charge anything, haul anything, fly anything, as RC is their gig... 10%

So clearly, 90% of the RC folks I know will never even consider an airplane of this type.
                This is purely my own observation based in loose figures.
                Your experience may vary depending on locally available expendable income per household and weather conditions!

That said, none of that 90% around here own even one FlightLine RC airplane.

I think you're pretty close on your numbers ;)
                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

I'd do a 29, I'm just still waiting on the va to make things feezable for me again. However they have been moving quite a bit faster this year than they ever have in the previous 4 years

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                    I'd do a 29, I'm just still waiting on the va to make things feezable for me again. However they have been moving quite a bit faster this year than they ever have in the previous 4 years
                    VA...

If you are mobility impaired, talk to DAV or TX-Vets about applying for appx $20,000 grant for a car. (and if 60% or greater, take the papers to the DMV to get your car registration VERY cheap + DV plates which are Handicap plates)

Comment

It’s shameful how the government treats vets once we’re all used up. My personal experience with them is long drawn out little battles over getting finances straight. It’s so frustrating at times. Hang in there Rman.

Id hate to see the scale go up on the B-29 making it smaller, as flying all three bombers together would showcase the real deal as it was.
                      Just for the sake of fitting it into a compact car... If that’s a selling point then make an ultra micro B-29.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                        Id hate to see the scale go up on the B-29 making it smaller, as flying all three bombers together would showcase the real deal as it was.
                        Just for the sake of fitting it into a compact car... If that’s a selling point then make an ultra micro B-29.
                        Like I said, I'll take it in any size :). The B-29 is one of my all time favorite airplanes, and I wouldn't miss the chance to have one. I just prefer 1/18 for the sake of the large stash of 1/18 pilot figures I have on hand. I will agree that too small is an issue. I have the Wowplanes B-29 (83" span) and it looks tiny and has some scale issues. Planning on eventually cutting a new wing with a scale airfoil.

While we wait for FL, here are some pictures of a beautiful 100" B-29 built by Wade Joos on RCgroups :Drooling:.

Comment

By the time a B-29 comes along, I'll likely be retiring my B-24, so sure, I'd get one.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            By the time a B-29 comes along, I'll likely be retiring my B-24, so sure, I'd get one.
                            Don't be so sure...
                            TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Wow ... :Scared:

That Wade Joos B-29 is incredible!

Comment

I believe mold size and box considerations will limit FL to 2000mm. With their stated mission of bringing rarely modeled aircraft to market i have to believe its in development or at least in line. I'd by one. WW 2 nose art,Korean war schemes and nose art, x1 drop, lots of possibilites. Fifi flew into a local regional airport last summer. I was there for the flyover,2 landings,engine run ups,takeoffs and tour. It was a religous experiance for me. The sound,the smells,the rumble that goes thru your whole body. Touching it brought out such emotion that i teared up. If the ex-wife could of ellicited that much emotion i would have kept her around....
                                Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

Originally posted by CFIT rob View Post
                                  I believe mold size and box considerations will limit FL to 2000mm. With their stated mission of bringing rarely modeled aircraft to market i have to believe its in development or at least in line. I'd by one. WW 2 nose art,Korean war schemes and nose art, x1 drop, lots of possibilites. Fifi flew into a local regional airport last summer. I was there for the flyover,2 landings,engine run ups,takeoffs and tour. It was a religous experiance for me. The sound,the smells,the rumble that goes thru your whole body. Touching it brought out such emotion that i teared up. If the ex-wife could of ellicited that much emotion i would have kept her around....
                                  That's awesome, it is an amazing sight in person for sure! I was lucky enough to see Doc and Fifi fly formation at Oshkosh last year and its something I'll never forget. As for size, I think it is doable over 2000mm. A lot of the foam gliders that are out there have spans over 2m and are packed without too many issues (FMS Fox: 2320mm, Radian XL: 2600mm). The Aspect ratio of the B-29 is high enough where a 2000mm model just feels small. Imagine a PZ Radian with 4 engines and you'll start to see what I mean. Things would get tightly packed and heavy very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Don't be so sure...
                                    You may be right. The planes I've been buying lately have been very satisfying to own and I enjoy them for a lot longer than I used to when I started. To my shock and surprise, I've purchased over 100 RC planes since I started about 7 years ago. I still fly about 45 of them. I see in your stable that you are probably well in excess of my stockpile. It's a delightful addiction. If the B-24 flies as nicely as what others say, I'll likely keep it for a while and get rid of some of my less flown models and make room for a 29. Had the B-29 been available, I would have bought it instead of the 24. The 24 is an interesting plane but it is a bit of an ugly duckling in my eyes. Hopefully, I'll build it in the next week or so and get a better feel for how I like it.

Comment

It flys great! I'm over 100 in two years...and over 70 that are ready to fly. Worse/best addiction I've ever had
                                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

The whole video is worth watching but I've queued it up to the flying part. :)

Comment

Working...
                                        X