Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That looks great EA-6B!!!

Comment

• Color me a satisfied Avios C-130 owner.

Still need to do a little weathering on my Avios C-130H, but have been flying it instead. I chose to model a local Texas Air National Guard C-130H-2 aircraft that a flying buddy has in their squadron and works on. I enjoyed recognizing the hometown hard working members of the Guard.

Markings are a mix of the stock Avios decals (some not exactly the right size, but close enough for sport scale) and my own custom TANG markings, plus some home brew hatches and windows. I did get Callie’s C-130 decal sheet, but only used the prop decals and the “armament” box next to the crew door.

Wing and fuselage walk lines are done with a black paint pen of the correct width.
      Attached Files

Comment

• That's sharp!:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
          That's sharp!:Cool:
          Not as amazing as yours, but thanks!

Smart of HK to do the basic gray airframe. Makes it easy to model tons of active service aircraft.

Another reason I picked this particular aircraft was the Texas flag and the white “62” in the lower windows. Adds a little more character.

Comment

• Here’s my repaint. Represents the North Carolina Air National Guard unit during the 90’s. Decals were made with black self-adhesive vinyl using the Silhouette cutting machine. The only exception was the Air National Guard emblem on the tail. That was made as a dry transfer that I’m not too happy about.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Nice pickle!! Your work always looks so realistic.

I'd enjoy reading a tutorial or something in a separate thread describing your process with the Silhouette cutting machine.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                Nice pickle!! Your work always looks so realistic.

I'd enjoy reading a tutorial or something in a separate thread describing your process with the Silhouette cutting machine.
                I also used a Silhouette Cameo to cut all my custom made markings on the Texas Air Guard C-130H a few posts up.

It makes customizing your models with new markings very easy. For instance, download a free version of the Amarillo and Long Beach fonts on the computer hooked up to a Silhouette and you can cut out correct USAF letter and word markings at the size you need, plus correct US Navy letter and word markings.

Very easy to use. Can use several sorts of graphics files. It is an activity I share with my wife, who also uses the Silhouette for craft purposes, cutting both paper and vinyl for her projects.

Comment

• Just curious how others are fairing with their Hercs as this page has been dead for a while. I finally got in two flights on mine and other than needing a little more rate (went too conservative), both flights were fine. It flies at a nice, scale speed and really looks and sounds nice during low fly-by's. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled! Very easy to perform scale takeoffs and landings without flaps. Not sure yet how it does with flaps. They did such a great job at capturing the lines and physical features of the Herc.

Have been fighting with it ever since unfortunately. The nose retract died before I could fly it again. The smaller gear sheared (both landings were smooth) and noticed that two of the four screws that hold the assembly together were stripped. Then lost the right gear door servo while troubleshooting the nose gear. Also found that the servo lead to the main gear was just hanging on by a hair. A couple more landings or bumps while taxiing would have separated them without a doubt.

I am shelving mine until I get time to rework the wiring and replace most/all of the servos. The wiring in the center of the fuselage is a rats nest and a disaster waiting to happen. It's a shame but don't want to risk loosing it due to something stupid that could have been addressed. Did get a nice pic during the maiden though.

Comment

• Haven't flown mine yet, maybe this week.
                    AMA 424553

Comment

• I honestly thought that thumbnail was a real bird, Icepirate! I hope you can tame the "rat's nest" eventually and have fun with your sharp repaint.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	192188 I only have one flight on mine. Balanced it per the manual, and it flew tail heavy. Made for a fast approach speed to keep it controllable. Cruised around nice, but started making odd motor noises after a few minutes, one of the inboard propellers came loose, most likely my fault not getting it tight enough. The outboard flaps are so warped, they came this way, that they are not useable, I pinned them up, and only have the inboard set operable.
                        Planning to have a close look at each propeller and motor, move the CG forward, and try again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                          I honestly thought that thumbnail was a real bird, Icepirate! I hope you can tame the "rat's nest" eventually and have fun with your sharp repaint.
                          Thanks! I am super proud of how it came out. It also helps that we have an amazing photographer as our clubs newsletter editor;)

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	192188 I only have one flight on mine. Balanced it per the manual, and it flew tail heavy. Made for a fast approach speed to keep it controllable. Cruised around nice, but started making odd motor noises after a few minutes, one of the inboard propellers came loose, most likely my fault not getting it tight enough. The outboard flaps are so warped, they came this way, that they are not useable, I pinned them up, and only have the inboard set operable.
                            Planning to have a close look at each propeller and motor, move the CG forward, and try again.
                            I had the same problem with the inboard flaps and ended up sanding quite a bit of material on the inside leading edge to get them to fit into the recess and be close to flush at the trailing edge to the wing. But after replacing one servo I gave up and also pinned them up.

You should get some 'profile' pics and some inflight pics if you can! I think you have the most realistic looking Hercs i've seen! Amazing job!

Comment

• are these ever going to come back in stock?
                              Planes
                              -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                              -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post

I had the same problem with the inboard flaps and ended up sanding quite a bit of material on the inside leading edge to get them to fit into the recess and be close to flush at the trailing edge to the wing. But after replacing one servo I gave up and also pinned them up.

You should get some 'profile' pics and some inflight pics if you can! I think you have the most realistic looking Hercs i've seen! Amazing job!
                                Thanks IP, but I think yours looks way better than mine does! Magic Callie "Delta" graphics have it looking good from 20 feet, but it's certainly stand off scale.
                                So you are flying yours without flaps? Does it land pretty fast? I will try to get mine back in the rotation soon, and move the CG forward for another flight.

Comment

• The only 2 flights I got on it were without flaps. I think it landed at a decent speed although it did float more than I was expecting both times. I was probably a little quick though and I'm sure it could have landed nice and scale like without the flaps, just have to get more familiar with it's stall speeds and such.

On another note, I noticed on Hobbyking's add in this months MAN that there is a "Plane of the Year 2018" tag next to the Herc? Is that for real?:Thinking:

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                                    are these ever going to come back in stock?
                                    If Hobbyking had a rep posting here i'm sure they would say "Soon!" which means don't hold your breath. The ETA spot that's usually on their out of stock parts isn't even there.

Comment

• Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post
                                      On another note, I noticed on Hobbyking's add in this months MAN that there is a "Plane of the Year 2018" tag next to the Herc? Is that for real?:Thinking:
                                      "Fake news". ;)

Comment

• LOL no joke.............................................. ....Legends in their own minds.

Mike
                                        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• "Today Ford announced that Ford has been awarded the manufacture of the year award by Ford Motor Company."

Comment

Working...
                                          X