X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair Fans?

Lots on Mustangs in these threads any Corsair fans besides me. I have the flyzone and parkzone f4u-1a. I'm thinking about the dynam and when I get really brave maybe the fms 1400mm its so beautiful I'm afraid I'll break it and would prolly cry.

RE: Corsair Fans?

I have the parkzone corsair love it! I am willing to bet you would have no problems with the FMS 1400mm. I hear it is a kitten.
    Flight Risk (Sean)
    AMA # 986105

Comment

Originally posted by STOOPIDMONKEY
      I have the parkzone corsair love it! I am willing to bet you would have no problems with the FMS 1400mm. I hear it is a kitten.
      I love my Parkzone corsair also it's fully loaded and flys like a dream. The flyzone flys very well also the gear isn't as tuff but it's a little heavier and a lot faster this one can run 3s or 4s. The flight times are only about 5 minutes on 2200 3s and 2500 4s. Hated to see it discontinued. I'm looking at the dynam as a replacement for one of these when the time comes.

Comment

Anyone got any good advice on the 1400mm by fms assembly,mods,sound system etc.

Comment

Corsair lover here!  I have had an Airfield F4-U (V1) since 2012 and it remains my best flying warbird. I did a complete overhaul of the paint and installed flaps. A very sweet bird!
          Attached Files
          GP Sport Zero, scratch built MA Sky Skimmer, VQ SBD, Eflite Pulse XT & RV-9, FW Stinger 64, Hanger 9 Saratoga, GP P6-E Hawk, FMS Stuka & B-25, Lanyu Do335, PZ Albatros, Eflite Hurricane 25e, Airfield F4-U, Freewing P-51D, Dynam Tempest, Bf-110 & 182, GWS Mustang & Formosa, FZ Switch, Eflite L-4, RocHobby Critical Mass, Alien Aircraft Gadget, RCM&E scratch built CanDoo, Dynaflite Piece O’Cake, HK Ventus, FZ Beaver, Avios Sea Fury, Uravitch 52" OV-10, Herr Engineering J-3

Comment

That's a fine looking plane. I hope my flying skills are to the point I can try some of the bigger planes without damaging them. Only a few wingtip scuffs or nose over scrapes in the last year. Been building up my courage to spend that kinda money on one.

Comment

I love the Corsairs, but they don't love me. I have an old Lanyu Corsair that I bought years ago. It has a brushed motor and runs off a NiCad battery. The receiver has an antenna that hangs out the back of the plane. I have always struggled with this plane, even after I swapped out the motor and all the electronics. I also have a 800mm Airfield Corsair that I am very proficient at crashing. They both pretty much hang on the wall for looks now

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch
                I love the Corsairs, but they don't love me. I have an old Lanyu Corsair that I bought years ago.  It has a brushed motor and runs off a NiCad battery. The receiver has an antenna that hangs out the back of the plane.  I have always struggled with this plane, even after I swapped out the motor and all the electronics. I also have a 800mm Airfield Corsair that I am very proficient at crashing. They both pretty much hang on the wall for looks now

Jeff
                Have you tried the Corsair S from Horizon Hobby? MRC sells it, and it is a great flying plane. No retracts or flaps, but it is a great flying plane, and very easy to fly with the AS3X.

Comment

Hi Loneflier

Yes I've looked at that one, but could never get myself to pull the trigger on it.

The problems I have with the corsairs is totally my fault.  I thought I could jump into this hobby and fly a war bird right away...I was wrong lol  
                  I did fly the Airfield Corsair for awhile, but on my last landing I snapped the tail wheel off. I don't want to spend any money on it, so it has become a parts plane.

I'm thinking of saving the Corsair to be my first 4s plane. Been eyeballing the FMS 1400 V3, but the price tag is hard to swallow. So many planes...so small of budget :)

Jeff

Comment

I'm similar to Capt. Crunch.... The first warbird I had was the durafly Corsair, got it after flying a high-wing trainer for a week :P (and quickly turned it into a ground spike, went to check it's stall speed... tip stalled into a spin & couldn't recover)

I do have, the now discontinued, 1400mm grey scheme FMS Corsair and LOVE the plane. I've got it setup as a camera platform, can easily carry a GoPro in the cockpit area, and there are plenty of places to mount something like a mobius. ( https://www.youtube.com/user/rtwatkins79 if you want to see some videos) For those that were asking pros/cons:

Pros- 
                    FMS quality! I have never had electronics fail with FMS planes, and the 1400mm is no exception. Nice strong digital metal gear servos.
                    Wing design is VERY strong, they make use of both the tube spars that run between the wings as well as flat metal rods within the wing cord to strengthen it further as well as keep the inverted gull wing shape. Rotation retracts on the 1400mm corsair have been very stout... I've broken several retracts on my FMS 1450mm V8 Mustang, but have yet to have one break on the Corsair. 3 piece flaps make it very nice & scale, and are very effective at both providing additional lift & slowing the plane down. While not the fastest Corsair I've flown, it does have plenty of power, climbs smartly and is very maneuverable. There is also plenty of room for not only your standard electronics but also if you want to do any modifications like a sound system &/or gyro. There is also plenty of room for a good size battery... I run a 3000 and 3300mAh 4S battery without issue.

Cons-
                    The FMS Corsair uses a plastic housing to hold the retracts as well as the servo to actuate the gear doors. ( http://www.motionrc.com/1400mm-fms-f4u-corsair-v3-main-landing-gear-faring-door/ )
                    For the most part, this is a good design. However, for both good & bad this gets ripped out of the wing in a bad crash. As I said, this is both good and bad... the good being that in so doing, a lot of the energy is disbursed so it doesn't damage the retracts. The bad, however, is that it does damage the foam some; and makes it difficult to re-secure it into the wing. I've tried hot glue, CA (both foam-safe & standard CA) and it still would work it's self out of the wing... eventually turning a hard landing, or landing on grass, into a crash. I've tried epoxy this time.... will see if it holds better. Also, the plane doesn't have oleos, and the stock wheels are very stiff... so anything short of a VERY greased landing will see some bounce... which tends to loosen things as well. Because of the design of the retracts I don't think they will have enough room to put oleos in... but some softer wheels would help (I have gone to Dave Browns) Main gear doors could use some re-work... the mechanics don't seem to open them very well, and even with the stock wheels it would sometimes catch on the door when attempting to retract. Also, the forward strut cover doesn't lay flush with the wing.. they stick out a little ways. P-Factor is somewhat of an issue with this plane too, especially at take-offs. I have yet to get a nice straight down the runway takeoff with the plane, it will ALWAYS pull to the left no matter how soft I throttle into it. I know it isn't an alignment issue, since slow steering and landings are fine, but ya. Also, it seems with Corsairs in general (so not really an FMS con) it can be difficult to judge approach speed. The Corsair's wings are very efficient at generating lift, but once they stall they will always drop a wing. It's a very fine line with having a clean approach and good decent rate or too much/too little airspeed and either floating past your touchdown target or tip stalling. (I will say, however, the FMS HAS been the easiest so far with this)

The only modification I've done has been to go with the FMS motor off of the Zero. Stock motor is the same as the V8 Mustang (540kv) and with the 580kv out of the Zero I get a little more speed and better climb performance.

Attached Files

Comment

rtwatkins thanks for a very informative and detailed review. It seems for a die hard corsair lover the pros out way the cons. The landing approach sounds like the flyzone corsair it's better to be a little faster than too slow and dip the wing right before touch down. I have to say it's been great to be able to get a chance to tap into all the knowledge I found here in Hobby Squawk. It's not a bash forum like lots of the others I've waisted my time on.

Comment

Originally posted by farmflyer
                        rtwatkins thanks for a very informative and detailed review. It seems for a die hard corsair lover the pros out way the cons. The landing approach sounds like the flyzone corsair it's better to be a little faster than too slow and dip the wing right before touch down. I have to say it's been great to be able to get a chance to tap into all the knowledge I found here in Hobby Squawk. It's not a bash forum like lots of the others I've waisted my time on.
                        agreed, flying it down.. for the most part... is the way to go. Just be ready for a bounce or two ;)

Some of the places I fly that can prove to be somewhat of an issue... too much speed and you may not be able to stop in time, end up hitting a curb... or, have it bounce around & not have steering... which hits a curb lol. So, that's why I've been trying to practice a slower approach & spot land, let the plane come in & touchdown at a slower speed so I can drop the tail quickly to steer and/or stop. That, and got to get ready for carrier landings :P :P (JK)

once you've got your approach down the Corsair is great for spot landings... they settle in nicely, like they were meant to have a tail hook or something ;) :P 

Comment

I'm lucky I guess my runway is a 30ft wide glass smooth asphalt fm road with long straights and some curves we can usually get a spot with minimal cross wind. The number one spot north to south is about half a mile square with nothing taller than you around. My best luck with slow approach is to bring it in on 1/4 throttle at about 20ft up chop the throttle and let it settle down on the run way this works as long as there is no cross wind then I have to carry more speed to have rudder control.

Comment

One other Corsair that I have, and was one of my first warbirds, is the Tower Hobbies Corsair. Again, a pretty basic plane with no retracts or flaps, but is very reasonably priced, uses a standard 3 cell 2200mAH battery, and flies really well. Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by farmflyer
                              I'm lucky I guess my runway is a 30ft wide glass smooth asphalt fm road with long straights and some curves we can usually get a spot with minimal cross wind. The number one spot north to south is about half a mile square with nothing taller than you around. My best luck with slow approach is to bring it in on 1/4 throttle at about 20ft up chop the throttle and let it settle down on the run way this works as long as there is no cross wind then I have to carry more speed to have rudder control.
                              That does sound nice!!

There are two fields I fly at the most... one is an undeveloped field, has a north/south roadway that ends at a round about, with the other exit being a wider curved road going from NNE to north/south. The direct north/south roadway works well if there's no wind, or if there's wind coming from one of those directions. If there's a cross wind then the curved roadway works a little better... just have to be ready to drop the tail quickly so you can stay with the curve of the road. Curbs are the bane for here... got to be spot on with your approaches & takeoffs, once your committed to either, you either nail it or nail the curb :P

The other field is a retired airport, they still have the pavement from the old east/west runway. Just have to watch out for the dirt mounds they have piled right next to it :P

There's a couple other fields I visit from time to time.... the school my nephew goes to has a really nice big soccer field. Has some mole holes to watch out for, but they generally keep the grass cut so it's nice. Then there's the club field that has a paved runway. Usually a nice place but it can be pretty busy at times, has some rule nazi's at times and you have to dodge light poles (club field is at the fair grounds)

Back to the topic at hand.... My dad got the BlitzWorks RC Corsair, that's a lovely plane!! even has the folding wings :P if I can talk him into taking it out this weekend I'll get a video ;)

Comment

Just got back home from flying 2x each on Pz and Fz corsairs. Nice evening light winds 0 to 5. Had to do a little repair on Fz landing gear found a cracked plastic part. Mechanical gear seem to take a lot of mechanicing lol. It's ok cause I love the plane. I had a good day greased all 4 landings.

Comment

Still flying my original Gen 1 parkzone Corsair. Aluminum motor mount and a heads-up RC power-up 480. Flys great as a belly lander.

Comment

I LOVE CORSAIRS
                                    I have the FMS F4U Corsair v2 1700mm Blue and Gray Version
                                    https://youtu.be/Hlvi292oAJ8

Comment

Originally posted by RCcruz
                                      I LOVE CORSAIRS

Nice video! Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by SOB8604
                                        Originally posted by RCcruz
                                        I LOVE CORSAIRS

Nice video! Welcome to the forum!
                                        Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X