X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TonyGagJr View Post
    What size decals from Callie are correct for this plane? I love the FLRC planes but their decals are terrible.
    Google F4U and find that the full size wingspan is @ 41 feet
    Multiply that span by 12 and then divide by the model span of 63 inches(1600mm)
    Result is 7.80 which equates to 1/8th scale.;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
      I should have told Alpha to bring the cowl flaps out a smidge. Love the look of the cowl flaps flaring a touch. Now functional cowl flaps? That's just crazy sauce Brad! LOL
      I really like the closed cowl, it's a change from every other F4U you see. It looks great in the air when that long straight snout comes zooming pass you :Cool:
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyGagJr View Post
        What size decals from Callie are correct for this plane? I love the FLRC planes but their decals are terrible.
        I agree on the decals. Callie is so much better

Comment

• Originally posted by fieldofdreamsflyer View Post
          One day I will own one once I get my life squared away which I been working really hard on.
          YOU CAN DO THAT? every time I get close they change the rules?

joe
          Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• :( :(

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Google F4U and find that the full size wingspan is @ 41 feet
              Multiply that span by 12 and then divide by the model span of 63 inches(1600mm)
              Result is 7.80 which equates to 1/8th scale.;)
              OR be sure to check our Specifications on the product page. I've now started adding the scale of our newer scale models. :Cool:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	167474
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

I really like the closed cowl, it's a change from every other F4U you see. It looks great in the air when that long straight snout comes zooming pass you :Cool:
                Yes I like that too. What's not to love about the way a Corsair looks cowl flaps or not for sure... Still think the best-looking bird in all of the WWII warbirds is the Corsair with full flaps, gear doors and LG extended on final approach. :Cool:
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I've now started adding the scale of our newer scale models. :Cool:
                  FINALLY :Whew:I can stop with the scale math lessonsLOL
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• LOL LOL LOL LOL
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Yes I like that too. What's not to love about the way a Corsair looks cowl flaps or not for sure... Still think the best-looking bird in all of the WWII warbirds is the Corsair with full flaps, gear doors and LG extended on final approach. :Cool:
                      Also tailhook down and canopy open.
                      that's about as good as it gets

Comment

• Just adding my two cents...
                        The “Birdcage” version of the Corsair was the F4U1. It had the window in the bottom to facilitate landing since vision over the long nose of the Corsair was virtually non existent. So the “ Birdcage” is an F4U1.
                        The F4U1A was the second varient of the Corsair placed in service. It too had the bottom window but had the “bubble” canopy (3 sections in the sliding portion). The window was painted over by ground crews as the window proved basically useless.
                        The F4U1D was a further improved version the “U” and the bottom window was deleted. The sliding portion of the canopy was a one piece unit. I also believe the -1D also had a floor in the cockpit as opposed to the open fuselage found in the F4U1 and -1A.

The “Jolly Rogers” was a NAVY unit - VF17.
                        Marine units were designated VMF... (VMF222 for example).
                        V designates Heavier then air (they had airships at this time) F is for fighter and M designated a Marine unit.

So so it is my plan to do an F4U1 “Birdcage” from VMF222 circa 1943 flying from Munda Airfield, New Georgia - thanks Callie!

Great tips on weathering guys!

Comment

I should have told Alpha to bring the cowl flaps out a smidge. Love the look of the cowl flaps flaring a touch. Now functional cowl flaps? That's just crazy sauce Brad! LOL
                          I'll take two scoops of crazy sauce and put it on my chilli dogs on Sunday!!LOLGo Hawks!! If we win and the Chargers win against the Ravens, maybe we play the Chargers in the superbowl? Wow,two West Coast teams battling it out .Wishful thinking right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cws View Post

Also tailhook down and canopy open.
                            that's about as good as it gets
                            Agreed! And Go Hawks Brad! Sunday Night is going to be a battle! Stumbled against the (ugh) 49ers so hopefully they come to play focused.
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Completely agree that the Corsair coming to land on the carrier with everything extended and canopy back is one of the most majestic sights. It is one of the few planes that look so good with the gear and flaps down.

For anyone around the great lakes, the Thunder Over Michigan airshow next year is going to have the Corsair as the featured plane. Rumors are they are trying to get all the flying Corsairs in the country together.

Comment

• I've had several questions about what wheels will fit on the F4U so I put this together...

I usually keep a set of 2.75" through 4" Robart Diamond thread on hand I like them so much :o

To recap, the Flightline Corsair and Tigercat have 5.1mm axles and the only difference between their wheels is the color (blue and white).

The FMS Tigercat Wheels are actually a little smaller that the Flightline wheels and the FMS axle is only 4.95mm.
                                Stock Flightline wheel is 3.375"
                                Stock FMS TC wheel is 3.25"

The Robart 3.5" wheel will fit but the axle will need to be shortened and new flat cut in it.
                                The Robart 3.75"wheel will also need the axle mod and may require some reworking of the gear door servo linkage.

The Flightline wheels weigh 28g
                                The FMS TC wheels weigh 30g
                                The Robart wheels weigh 74g

I think the 3.5" Robart is the sweet spot for this plane and even though it is much heavier it still has good cushion. The added weight doesn't bother be as I like the feel of it with the heavier Admiral Carbon 5100 much better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tires01.jpg Views:	2 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	167658

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tires02.jpg Views:	2 Size:	132.6 KB ID:	167657

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tires03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	167661

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tires04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.4 KB ID:	167659

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tires05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	128.4 KB ID:	167660

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tires06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	226.4 KB ID:	167662
                                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• TRGRB, Thank you for your time here. Very helpful information. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                    I've had several questions about what wheels will fit on the F4U so I put this together...

I usually keep a set of 2.75" through 4" Robart Diamond thread on hand I like them so much :o

To recap, the Flightline Corsair and Tigercat have 6mm axles and the only difference between their wheels is the color (blue and white).

The FMS Tigercat Wheels are actually a little smaller that the Flightline wheels and the FMS axle is only 5mm.
                                    Stock Flightline wheel is 3.375"
                                    Stock FMS TC wheel is 3.25"

The Robart 3.5" wheel will fit but the axle will need to be shortened and new flat cut in it.
                                    The Robart 3.75"wheel will also need the axle mod and may require some reworking of the gear door servo linkage.

The Flightline wheels weigh 28g
                                    The FMS TC wheels weigh 30g
                                    The Robart wheels weigh 74g

I think the 3.5" Robart is the sweet spot for this plane and even though it is much heavier it still has good cushion. The added weight doesn't bother be as I like the feel of it with the heavier Admiral Carbon 5100 much better.
                                    Good stuff buddy but I gotta disagree with your caliper reading of the FL Tigercat wheel axle measurement.
                                    My Kobalt digital caliper reads 5.1 and 5.13 on two different Tigercat wheels.
                                    Motions website says it is a 5.2mm axle
                                    Have never seen any of the FL/FW @ 6mm including the A-10 main wheel which has the same diameter as the Tigercat.;)
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Good stuff buddy but I gotta disagree with your caliper reading of the FL Tigercat wheel axle measurement.
                                      My Kobalt digital caliper reads 5.1 and 5.13 on two different Tigercat wheels.
                                      Motions website says it is a 5.2mm axle
                                      Have never seen any of the FL/FW a 6mm including the A-10 main wheel which has the same diameter as the Tigercat.;)
                                      You are correct, the FMS axle is only 4.95mm and the Flightline Tigercat and Corsair is 5.1...I'l fix the post.
                                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• I’d planned to stuff the biggest Robart Scale’s on it I can. Would be awesome to get some printed hub caps to retro-fit em.
                                        i am so looking forward to this bird. The Spitfire landing gear have held up really well on our rough runway and i’m confident these will to.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2304488A-FA58-4C83-9766-E5AEA68A728E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	167715

Several Corsair photo’s here... https://wwii-warbirds.tumblr.com/archive

Bleached out tropical blues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B208A98-73F6-44BA-A5A2-3D780EF16385.jpeg
Views:	1052
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	167723

Comment

• George, The vents in the wings, Does it whistle on a dive? Or do we need to put in the Nerf football whistles?

Comment

Working...
                                          X