Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am using the manufacturer's recommended, and I take off and land on low rates. No elevator/flap mix was needed. The elevator doesn't require much throw to be effective. Your method for takeoff is sound...With this bird you can punch it and she's up in 15 feet or less. Gobs of power...You can do the ol' Goose and Go or the slow, scale takeoff roll...Either way she's easy peezy...Good luck with your maiden! Remember to keep about 25-30% power on the approach, she can approach stall speed with full flaps in a hurry if you get the throttle a bit low, and it is a low stall speed point which can be hypnotizing and give you a false sense of stability that slow, so be mindful of that....She will dump a wing if you're not careful (ask me how I know, lol) keep the nose level until the flare point for nice greasers every time.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

I actually hold full up rather than down on the elevator to maintain tail wheel control and avoid noseovers. As I roll in power, I usually hold some right rudder to overcome prop torque and keep a straight track while slowly relaxing the elevator to let the tail come up and just be on the mains. Then lift off slowly as you gain speed and altitude, raise the flaps and the gear for some serious fun.:Cool:
      Stick down is what I was referring to, elevator up. Should of said stat
      Planes
      -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
      -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
        I am using the manufacturer's recommended, and I take off and land on low rates. No elevator/flap mix was needed. The elevator doesn't require much throw to be effective. Your method for takeoff is sound...With this bird you can punch it and she's up in 15 feet or less. Gobs of power...You can do the ol' Goose and Go or the slow, scale takeoff roll...Either way she's easy peezy...Good luck with your maiden! Remember to keep about 25-30% power on the approach, she can approach stall speed with full flaps in a hurry if you get the throttle a bit low, and it is a low stall speed point which can be hypnotizing and give you a false sense of stability that slow, so be mindful of that....She will dump a wing if you're not careful (ask me how I know, lol) keep the nose level until the flare point for nice greasers every time.
        With tail draggers war birds, I've typically never flare or it is very very little. Come down nose level, throttle to adjust rate descent and once the mains touch roll off the power. Then pin the tail.

Thanks about flap and stall speed as those flaps are huge and create some serious drag.
        Planes
        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• I only flare with tail draggers when I want a nice 3-point landing which is most the time, although I do like a nice 2-point roll out as well, so it's just how I am feeling that day. ;)
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

With tail draggers war birds, I've typically never flare or it is very very little. Come down nose level, throttle to adjust rate descent and once the mains touch roll off the power. Then pin the tail.

Thanks about flap and stall speed as those flaps are huge and create some serious drag.
            wheel landings are the rule with flaps. the plane can stall very quickly while dirty. the rule I use is I set up a wheel landing, if everything works out and I end up tickling the tops of the grass with my wheels with no yaw I can see how close to a three point I can get before it stalls.

Joe
            Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• My rule for Corsairs is to never land slow enough for a 3 point landing...but as close as you can get :Silly:
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post

wheel landings are the rule with flaps. the plane can stall very quickly while dirty. the rule I use is I set up a wheel landing, if everything works out and I end up tickling the tops of the grass with my wheels with no yaw I can see how close to a three point I can get before it stalls.

Joe
                I guess I may have develop bad habits? Didn’t. Know if one way is better than the other.

rolling out or flaring to get as close to 3 point landing

Joe correct me if I’m wrong (usually am) when you see your wheel just touch the grass you start to roll off throttle and pitch the nose up. This would slow the plane down further so when you nose up, you would not gain attitude?
                Planes

Comment

• On most of my planes, when I see the wheels just touch the grass, the plane is usually travelling between 30 to 50 feet per second. I don't know about you, but my old eyes and my brain don't work so fast. By the time I realize the wheels have just touched the ground, a lot of ground has gone by and by the time I cut throttle, the landing either worked or it didn't. One tiny bump in the grass and the ugly kangaroo can appear to make me look like an amateur. It's like stalling the plane onto the ground. That's where repetition and muscle memory come into play. I need to plan ahead. If I wait till I see the wheels just touch, it's too late.

Comment

Stick down is what I was referring to, elevator up. Should of said stat
                    Yeah this guy, didn't get the reference right away.:Loser: At my age, whenever I hear "pinning the tail", I'm figuring there is a donkey involved somehow.LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Yeah this guy, didn't get the reference right away.:Loser: At my age, whenever I hear "pinning the tail", I'm figuring there is a donkey involved somehow.LOL
                      Haha that’s funny. No it’s me and me being new, I should of been more clear.
                      Planes

Comment

• After so many years of flying in the 135 to me pulling back on the yoke meant nose up and pushing forward meant nose down just like a radio, stick down elevator and nose goes up. Stick forward nose and elevator goes down. That's what works for me and my brain.:)

Comment

I guess I may have develop bad habits? Didn’t. Know if one way is better than the other.

rolling out or flaring to get as close to 3 point landing

Joe correct me if I’m wrong (usually am) when you see your wheel just touch the grass you start to roll off throttle and pitch the nose up. This would slow the plane down further so when you nose up, you would not gain attitude?
                          XVIPER has it right!

I set a 0 AoA decent that is acceptable and hold the E (lock it down) then use the engine to adjust my decent. important thing to remember is the model is telling you how close to stall you are by the rate of decent (that's why its good to get down and dirty time at a safe hight). when I get close to the ground I will add throttle to shallow out the decent on those occasions when that opportunity presents its self. most of the time it goes right to the ground in decent mode, once I have weight on wheels (that means consistent, not bouncing) I kill the flaps then the throttle as fast as I can and the model rolls 10 to 50ft to a stop (depending on mass). as soon as I kill the flaps the tail slams down on the grass (no nosing over now). many don't think about it but that prop spinning provided gyroscopic affect to the landing and will eliminate the titter totter affect. having said all this I won't be running right out and doing short field landings with my corsair because i'm not confident in it yet and i'm not confident that its landing gear can take the beating if i'm of by more than usual, yet. but it is the only way to land the spit!

this is not something that can be done the first time out, it takes a little practice to get that right, some people never get it. but it is exactly how I would land if in the plane.
                          Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Is anyone running gyro rx? Got a Adrmial and question if the rod is going to be a issue with the antenna. The bare part of the antenna is the only part that is "live" right?

Been told it's fiberglass rod and not carbon fiber.

Planes

Comment

Is anyone running gyro rx? Got a Adrmial and question if the rod is going to be a issue with the antenna. The bare part of the antenna is the only part that is "live" right?

Been told it's fiberglass rod and not carbon fiber.
                              That's not going to be a problem. I've got several planes where one of the antennas are close to or touching a "real" CF rod. I think it's only a problem if the RX is surrounded by a CF structure, like a cage. However, you should ALWAYS do range check with the plane at least 100' away and rotate the plane so it point at you in different orientations. This is good practice even if you aren't dealing with CF components.
                              I don't run gyros in my FMS 1700mm Corsair and it has not proved to be needed. I don't plan to run one in this Corsair either. These are relatively big, stable platforms that are less affected by wind and turbulence. That's about the only reason I run gyros. They don't help much for "dumb thumbs" or poor set up.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                That's not going to be a problem. I've got several planes where one of the antennas are close to or touching a "real" CF rod. I think it's only a problem if the RX is surrounded by a CF structure, like a cage. However, you should ALWAYS do range check with the plane at least 100' away and rotate the plane so it point at you in different orientations. This is good practice even if you aren't dealing with CF components.
                                I don't run gyros in my FMS 1700mm Corsair and it has not proved to be needed. I don't plan to run one in this Corsair either. These are relatively big, stable platforms that are less affected by wind and turbulence. That's about the only reason I run gyros. They don't help much for "dumb thumbs" or poor set up.
                                Yes sir, I'm doing range check in various position. Just trying to limit down time tomorrow, as I've got to maiden it. I have it on a switch where I can turn it on and off.

I don't know what I can get away with when setting these antennas ups... honestly I over think it. I know I do.
                                Planes

Comment

• You've got the 2 wires at 90 degrees. That's the best orientation for such antennas. If the range test passed, there's not much else you can do with regards to reception.

Comment

• I am trying to get my corsair as light as possible due to the weak plastic landing gear, there is a guy on youtube that has taken out all 4 lead ballast out of the cowl and he is flying successfully at 117mm cg. I have the 4 stock in there now. Have any of you tried this? I am scared due to all the people saying things about tail heavy planes fly once but i need to get the weight down or have someone mill me out aluminum landing gear housings.

Comment

• To me the gear is great, yes it will break if you land hard. For myself I will work on my landing skills, rather then chance a uncontrollable airplane. Hard landings can be repaired, tail heavy crashes maybe another story.
                                      Good luck

Ken

Comment

• Maiden went great! Really do love this plane Only got one battery through it because I had to get home. Got to work on not to bounce, didn't do it hard but still do not like bouncing on landing. No flaps
                                        I had to use the extra 2 weights with a Admrial 5000 (new batter) all the way forward to get nose a little heavy.
                                        Notes:
                                        Thinking of doing a gear mix to elevator but would have to figure out a way to remove the up elevator mix for when I deploy flaps....ideas?

Bouncing is my major thing to over come
                                        Planes

Comment

Maiden went great! Really do love this plane
                                          TG65, Congrats on the 1st check flight. :Win: Best, LB
                                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X