Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding wings and a retractable tail hook. Yeah but I've done enough to this great flyer and am done. FYI, the fuse aft of where the aft antenna is, is solid foam. So, I'm not going to actuate the canopy.
    So, in total I have:
    A tri-color paint scheme. Some weathering.
    A center external drop tank. For static display.
    Scissor links on the mains
    A fuel cap that doubles as a hatch release
    Functional cowl flaps
    A manually operated sliding canopy.
    A well fitting instrument panel

I still need to install the cowl flaps and sliding canopy to my flying Corsair.
    It's been fun but I'm done.
    Flying season is here.

Tom

PS: I found that Scotch transparent tape doesn't pull the paint when removed.

Comment

• I-fly-rc-aircraft
      But Tom, Is it ever really 'enough'.... Again, great work and an impressive build, Sir. Best, Steve
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Well Steve, I may get an Aces of Iron or similar pilot figure.

Tom

Comment

• Elbee
          Elbee commented
          Editing a comment
          Tom, Yes. There seems always to be one more thing to do, isn't there? It's the 'rabbit hole' of building the scale aircraft we love. Best, Steve

• It. Never. Ends.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
          It. Never. Ends.
          Aros, ain't it the truth, my friend. We're all chasing s. Best, LB
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Unicorns are easy. Just fill your feeder with Skittles and they'll come a running!

Comment

• Elbee
              Elbee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah right, and next you'll try to convince me that Skittles come from rainbow eating mamma Giraffes with Jamaican handlers. Sure, Beeg.

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post
            Well Steve, I may get an Aces of Iron or similar pilot figure.

Tom
            Tom, you have such great modifications, you should get the warbirdspilots.com figure with the moving head, just hook it up to say the rudder, looking left and right. I put it in mine, granted he is a little bigger than your average bear, but it sure looks cool, especially since you can move the canopy back to fully expose him! You can cut the legs off if you want, but I just took his boots off and left his feet hang into the fuselage (where he can manually push the servos if he sees fit). Everyone at the field calls him Clint Walker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190327_104435.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	243164

Name:	20190317_152407.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	243165

Name:	20190307_201128.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	243166
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I-fly-rc-aircraft I really like your sliding canopy mod, well done!
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Tom, one more "modification" you might think about is the sound card and transducers with the double wasp sound. The Corsair's fuselage is the perfect environment for the sound, it's loud even in the air. These mods are simple compared to what you have incorporated and really get peoples attention at the field.

Below is one of my stupid videos that I posted quite a while ago before putting the cowl flaps on showing the pilot's moving head and the engine sounds.

https://youtu.be/r4DPjE9gaNc
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• hugh luv the cowl detail !! and the pilot.....the wire looks intricate ..mutch time in that??

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                    hugh luv the cowl detail !! and the pilot.....the wire looks intricate ..mutch time in that??
                    Not really that much time, maybe a couple hours or less for the wires. Used electrical wire. Ole-Timer (post #833 & 1293) first posted the engine tubes he did, then Brandon Moon & Davegee posted their work on the engine tubes around March of last year and I saw it and tried to emulate. They also added cylinders between each of the existing ones to better depict the double wasp engine-really outstanding work on their part. The cowls took quite a bit more time, did it over about 4 days, couple hours every day, no 3D files, just elbow grease, styrene and epoxy.

Ah, the little things we do to our planes that no one really notices out at the field, but who cares, WE know that they're there. Last year at our clubs annual warbirds festival, one of my B-24's won Best WWII warplane. The funny thing is that the judges didn't even know that all the turrets moved and had gunners in each, that it had a multi-engine sound system in it, or that the cockpit was completely redone with instruments and a co-pilot that resembled my wife. I asked the judges which of those helped me win the plaque, and they replied, well none of those, we didn't even know it was modified.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• lol .... i think i am a rouge.... plenty clubs here....but most still not into foam electric their loss..,,have seen 1fwing f4 phantom here cooooool and good size too ....fall coming soon..... mods to think about cya

Comment

• What is the availability of a cockpit kit for the Birdcage model? A 3D PUP kit has been cited, but I can't find any on the market. I don't have a 3D printer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoneke View Post
                          What is the availability of a cockpit kit for the Birdcage model? A 3D PUP kit has been cited, but I can't find any on the market. I don't have a 3D printer.
                          SK, On the MotionRC Flightline Corsair Support Webpage for either the Birdcage/Bubble, you can find the STL Files for the Cockpits. There is some 'foam surgery' required once you have these files printed. The RC Geek and Dirty Dee each has a 3DP printing service available, I believe. Hope this helps. Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hi all, I had some opportunities with my bird cage. Seems I am mis judging my landings as I have “touched down” at the edge of the paved runway twice. First one the LG absorbed the impact. The second time was on a different day landing the other direction and the starboard LG popped back. I managed to throttle up and continue flying. I cycled the gear but the pushed back gear wouldn’t do anything. I decided to belly land it in the grass with the gear retracted. Only damage was breaking the gear doors in half on the stuck gear.

Yesterday I took out the retract and found that the casing had indeed cracked. I have replacements on the way. Hope all are doing well.
                            MD

Comment

• Look at that prop, love the F4U!

Comment

• i have broken 3 gear cases ... not the plane just me and or the the longish grass...... they 4 me hav split underneath or the jackscew has punched thru the front of the case..... while waiting
                                4 new ones from motian
                                i repaired them... IF u look atthem in a dissasemble state wheels down ,, u will see when u pull the wheel back as if it is landing ,, the end of the jack screw pulls down ,at the point where it meets the motor...... so even with new ones now i put xtra support,, under the middle as u fit it.... i use hard rubber.... it takes abit xtra to pull down the 4 screws ... but i since have not broken a gear............... as far as the font of the gear i cut a razer blade in 2 and fitted one half about half inch vertically at the front just gives xtra support with any new fix there is always a new week spot ..... but so far so good even with heavier robarts hope i made some sense very sorry new york in such a bad way i dont prey this time i will

Comment

i have broken 3 gear cases ... not the plane just me and or the the longish grass...... they 4 me hav split underneath or the jackscew has punched thru the front of the case..... while waiting
                                  4 new ones from motian
                                  i repaired them... IF u look atthem in a dissasemble state wheels down ,, u will see when u pull the wheel back as if it is landing ,, the end of the jack screw pulls down ,at the point where it meets the motor...... so even with new ones now i put xtra support,, under the middle as u fit it.... i use hard rubber.... it takes abit xtra to pull down the 4 screws ... but i since have not broken a gear............... as far as the font of the gear i cut a razer blade in 2 and fitted one half about half inch vertically at the front just gives xtra support with any new fix there is always a new week spot ..... but so far so good even with heavier robarts hope i made some sense very sorry new york in such a bad way i dont prey this time i will

When I first got this Corsair, I used to break or collapse a retract about every 3rd flight. Finally realized it was my crappy landing technique. Over the last 40 flights, no issues, as I come in with full flaps and power at 40% throttle on the glide slope. I don't reduce power until I'm flying level about 3 inches off the grass for a good 10 to 20 feet. Then I let the mains touch down and DO NOT flare with up elevator, just let it roll until the tail drops down. Try that and you shouldn't have any more issues with the retracts. It's also a very nice, scale looking landing.
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• i agree each time i have always thought duuuu dumb me.......but if ya can move aweek point to next strong point or next week point!!!!!!!!!! would u not?? can i ask u fly off a runway?? my best landings damage wise r flared and plane stops in 2 or 3 yrds ive watched james and the motian gang over and over i would luv to hav a go on solid runways.......... would luv to roll out 4 a few yards o well geography luv flyin the tech stuff fun too

Comment

i agree each time i have always thought duuuu dumb me.......but if ya can move aweek point to next strong point or next week point!!!!!!!!!! would u not?? can i ask u fly off a runway?? my best landings damage wise r flared and plane stops in 2 or 3 yrds ive watched james and the motian gang over and over i would luv to hav a go on solid runways.......... would luv to roll out 4 a few yards o well geography luv flyin the tech stuff fun too
                                      Mostly fly off of grass and still get a nice 3 or 4 yards roll out. Occasionally fly off of an asphalt runway and there I get a good 5 to 10 yard roll off. Keep up the good work!
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                      X