Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Hugh Wiedman It's taken me till this year to figure out the deal with the flaps on these bigger tail dragging warbirds. As much as Iove to see those big flaps hanging down, I won't use any flaps for take off anymore and only 1/2 flaps for landings - perhaps at touchdown, I'll go full flaps to reduce the roll to a stop. My old P-51 and my new Eflite P-51 act the same way.

Comment

• i agree no flap takeoff and half landing ifound a factory place to fly,, concrete ,,its like heavan,,,,, half flaps on final ..isound like apilot now ,,,lol full 50 yards from landing it still balooned ,,even at slow speed ...... rich rc informer has always said foamies dont need much landing flap..... its just the visual thing..

Comment

• actually the type of flaps on the p-51 and f4u are very effective at 45-50 degrees of flap. on windy days I can carry lots of throttle and dive quite steeply

that is a landing approach in some wind (see the wing tilt), came in with throttle and steep leveled off, throttled back set it down (did not try to float it). as soon as I had weight on wheels killed the flaps and then power so close they could be together (tail slams down, roles 20yards to a stop. with full flap I can come in at 50-55mph level off over the runway throttle back some and it will slow very nicely with full flap.

the problem for most is the plane rotates forward with full flap and its hard to get your bearings for what its doing. you need to tool around at a safe height down and dirty til you are comfortable with it.

man carrying fighters only used flap on takeoff if carrying extra wt (bombs, extra guns or gas). IDT any of us take off carriers?

Joe
        Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post
          actually the type of flaps on the p-51 and f4u are very effective at 45-50 degrees of flap. on windy days I can carry lots of throttle and dive quite steeply

that is a landing approach in some wind (see the wing tilt), came in with throttle and steep leveled off, throttled back set it down (did not try to float it). as soon as I had weight on wheels killed the flaps and then power so close they could be together (tail slams down, roles 20yards to a stop. with full flap I can come in at 50-55mph level off over the runway throttle back some and it will slow very nicely with full flap.

the problem for most is the plane rotates forward with full flap and its hard to get your bearings for what its doing. you need to tool around at a safe height down and dirty til you are comfortable with it.

man carrying fighters only used flap on takeoff if carrying extra wt (bombs, extra guns or gas). IDT any of us take off carriers?

Joe
          Assuming these RC planes "act" similar to the real thing aerodynamically, flaps at 0-40 degrees creates lift, but when the flaps go to 45 degrees or greater, no more lift, only drag. I do take-off with the Corsair without flaps, but I love landing (on grass) with full flaps, around 45 degrees, so it creates mostly drag. The result is that I cut the throttle to 40% on landing approach with the full flaps and leave the throttle there until the mains touch down. No doubt that landing with take-off flaps would allow a lower throttle setting, but I like the way it slows down with the full flaps and seems fairly stable on landing with 40% throttle. I still have enough surface authority to get it to do whatever I need to.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I think that's my prob !! I only hav10 or 20 percent throttle. Just been afraid. Of busting retracts. Now I have some nice concrete;; till the buildings go up!!! I can experiment a bit more. Still can't believe. Iv got so addicted. Happy. Flying

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
              I think that's my prob !! I only hav10 or 20 percent throttle. Just been afraid. Of busting retracts. Now I have some nice concrete;; till the buildings go up!!! I can experiment a bit more. Still can't believe. Iv got so addicted. Happy. Flying
              Go for it f4u ausie , it must have taken me 20-25 landings (and at least 5 crushed retracts) to feel comfortable with it, trying out all kinds of techniques (mostly bad ones). Truth be told, I actually have the landing flaps more like 50-55 degrees, clearly only providing drag, so the 40% throttle is kind of a must, but it does land nicely for me there. Everyone has their preferred landing technique and I'm definitely not saying mine is the best, just that it works for me. I'm sure if you keep the throttle more like 30% with nominal flaps, you should be able to keep it from ballooning and allow you to keep level attitude. Get it about 6" to a foot off the ground level with 30% throttle, and then reduce throttle until it touches. My 1700 mm P-51 is similar, use a lot of landing flaps, and that one lands at 30-35% throttle. The Spitfire is a little more floaty, lands that way at 25% throttle. Now if I could just get consistent with the take-offs, I'd be happy. Continuously fighting to keep it on the ground long enough (and straight enough without taking a sharp left turn) to get enough velocity because they all seem to want to get in the air too quick and stall.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• on the corsair I have more like 55 degrees flap, its just a few clicks on the good side of the angle they over the center lock on the work bench. with that much flap I have gotten behind the throttle curve, so I carry lots of throttle cause it slows like I hit the brakes.

the extra drag stops the ballooning. it just flies through gusts like any other low pass.

Joe
                Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Hi guys I made a video of how I balanced the big prop for this beautiful plane. Check it out!
                  Here is a method I use to balance props. However the no-chip polish flakes off. A normal clear usually stays on even with a prop strike. Hope you guys enjoye...

Comment

• Originally posted by Md_cobra View Post
                    Hi guys I made a video of how I balanced the big prop for this beautiful plane. Check it out!
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMWvL0LZl9I
                    I've been using yellow paint to balance mine. Same type setup up though.

Tom

Comment

• I finally got the FMS 1700 mm 4 blade prop and spinner to put on my FW 1600 mm Corsair. I assembled the prop and spinner and as others suggested had to shim the hex on the shaft for the FMS unit to work. I'm looking at the two spinners (the original and the FMS) , measured the two and they are both the same length. So I just used the prop nut from the original 3 blade and the hub as well. No need to modify the hub to work.

Tom

Comment

• Can somebody post some photos of the underside of the Corsair wing showing the panel lines please. I am building a 1/8th Royal Corsair and am at the panel line stage and the Flightline Corsair is a good example of a model this size. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by RodgerC View Post
                          Can somebody post some photos of the underside of the Corsair wing showing the panel lines please. Thanks!
                          RC, Hope this shows what you're needing. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	1532_014_22.gif
Views:	640
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	257701
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• hi guys need bit of help when i reassemble my f4u.... fuse broke in 2 when i tip stalled it ,,, clean break just some epoxy and 1 wing req .... question is not sure where to plug the rear steer and retract servos .. blue box??? im not sure...cant believe i threw out the book thanx in advance

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                              hi guys need bit of help when i reassemble my f4u.... fuse broke in 2 when i tip stalled it ,,, clean break just some epoxy and 1 wing req .... question is not sure where to plug the rear steer and retract servos .. blue box??? im not sure...cant believe i threw out the book thanx in advance
                              I don't have it close by but I think you have two choices. The first is to see if the blue box has labels to tell you where the steering servo and retract should be plugged in. The second is the steering servo can be Y'd to the rudder lead to the RX and the retract can also be done the same way.

Comment

• You say you haven't got the manual? You can download it here if that helps..
                                At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanx grossman

Comment

• As far as I can tell, the downloaded manual doesn't have the diagram of the blue box. Only in the manual provided with the model is there an insert that gives you that. Here's a picture of it. If you click on it to show the original size, you'll be able to expand it on your monitor to see the small print.
                                    I looked and the actual blue box has no discernible labeling.
                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3664.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.5 KB ID:	258914

Comment

• Manual does not help. That was what I was looking 4. Thanx viper

Comment

• thanx team squark all fixed .... just a wingset now ...may have to wait a little!!! $$ f35 here tmorrow ... i no that cause fed ex hasnt missed its deadline yet !!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	F677B57A-4647-412D-A4A0-4329494FE06E.jpeg
Views:	622
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	259529Click image for larger version

Name:	B4967595-546C-44B3-84A9-9701744DD99F.jpeg
Views:	563
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	259530Click image for larger version

Name:	86B30D83-C417-4D9A-B814-32F781C6FB82.jpeg
Views:	603
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	259528Click image for larger version

Name:	0D77FB95-59E9-4C49-880C-4D2CF43A74DE.jpeg
Views:	597
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	259527Click image for larger version

Name:	2FF3F2E8-0FE2-4B20-9345-3ECC9A9E04BE.jpeg
Views:	608
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	259526Click image for larger version

Name:	F7285056-D4D6-40A5-94A4-AFFCF98FC61F.jpeg
Views:	621
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	259525 Birdcage had its first day of the season. I haven’t flown this plane since October.
                                          Tolga
                                          Instagram: @_t01ga_
                                          YouTube: t01ga

Comment

Working...
                                          X