X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wiz1 View Post

Hi Paul, I just bought the Corsair as well, still haven’t flown it, I have the Futaba 16SZ radio, which is very similar to your radio, I plan on using it on the Corsair as well as a gyro, however, I have used the same radio on the Freewing F22 using the Eagle A3-LV2 and have not had any issues, setup was not difficult. You might want to consider the Eagle gyro from MotionRC, I know it works and its only $22. I have 3 of them with my Futaba radio and never had an issue. Just a thought.

Thanks for the input! Other than assigning the Eagle A3 to a channel and setting the gain on the pots on the gyro, did you do any other setup or programming on your 16SZ with regards to the gyro?

Comment

• Originally posted by paulsnapp View Post

I bought a brand new top of the line 18 channel transmitter, a Futaba 8 channel receiver from Futaba in March along with their $79 six axis gyro. The programming you describe above is exactly how the programming is with the Futaba transmitter, nothing to do with the gyro. The gyro has 3 gain pots on it for each axis but that is it for the gyro. Nobody where I live uses anything but Spektrum so they have no clues. The Futaba tech in Huntsville, AL knows a lot about the transmitter but near nothing about their gyro. I have been sending him all my questions too but his responses are more like guesses than solutions. So I am at a loss where to turn next. I guess I need someone who is using Futaba and is familiar with their GYA460 gyro. I do believe it is a mere setup / programming solution.
      I spent more time on the bench and found more strange events. If I leave my transmitter rate switch in the low rate position, turn on the transmitter and connect the battery I am in low rates. I turn on the gyro and I am still in low rates. I turn off the gyro and I am still in low rates. But, no matter if the gyro is on or off, if I select high rates on my transmitter when I then turn the gyro on I get high rates. Even if I turn the gyro off, select low rates on my transmitter and then turn the gyro back on I get high rates. It seems that once anything other than low rates are selected on the transmitter, then I always get high rates with the gyro engaged even if the transmitter low rates are selected. The only way to get low rates back with the gyro on is to disconnect the battery and reconnect the battery again. Then if I keep my low rates selected on the transmitter, I can stay in low rates with the gyro on or off. I truly do not get it.

Comment

Thanks for the input! Other than assigning the Eagle A3 to a channel and setting the gain on the pots on the gyro, did you do any other setup or programming on your 16SZ with regards to the gyro?
        No, I just assigned the channel, set the pots, On/Off, that is all.

Comment

I spent more time on the bench and found more strange events. If I leave my transmitter rate switch in the low rate position, turn on the transmitter and connect the battery I am in low rates. I turn on the gyro and I am still in low rates. I turn off the gyro and I am still in low rates. But, no matter if the gyro is on or off, if I select high rates on my transmitter when I then turn the gyro on I get high rates. Even if I turn the gyro off, select low rates on my transmitter and then turn the gyro back on I get high rates. It seems that once anything other than low rates are selected on the transmitter, then I always get high rates with the gyro engaged even if the transmitter low rates are selected. The only way to get low rates back with the gyro on is to disconnect the battery and reconnect the battery again. Then if I keep my low rates selected on the transmitter, I can stay in low rates with the gyro on or off. I truly do not get it.
          It’s strange, maybe try setting the pots to zero, then turn on your radio, try one pot at a time, I don’t have the heading gyro enabled, I believe it is more for aerobatic planes and not so much for a warplane, then slowly increase the gain. It must be a setting that needs to be corrected. Try process of elimination. Start with the very simple setup, I realized you might have tried that already but just in case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiz1 View Post

It’s strange, maybe try setting the pots to zero, then turn on your radio, try one pot at a time, I don’t have the heading gyro enabled, I believe it is more for aerobatic planes and not so much for a warplane, then slowly increase the gain. It must be a setting that needs to be corrected. Try process of elimination. Start with the very simple setup, I realized you might have tried that already but just in case.
            Thanks for the reply. I tried as you suggested but still get the same results. I am going to call Futaba tomorrow and see if there is a fix. If not, I think I will pull it out and replace with HobbyEagle A3 Super 3 V2 and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I tried as you suggested but still get the same results. I am going to call Futaba tomorrow and see if there is a fix. If not, I think I will pull it out and replace with HobbyEagle A3 Super 3 V2 and see what happens.
              Best of luck! 🙂. If you get the Eagle gyro, I would suggest to watch the setup video, it would make the setup easy, The instructions that come with it can be a bit confusing. Here is the link. https://youtu.be/4w5O_mBsPLk.

Comment

• I spoke with Futaba today about the rate change defect with their GYA460 Gyro. They have been aware of this issue since it was introduced in 2016 but have done nothing to fix it. Their logic is that it was meant to be a simple low cost gyro and would require a more expensive processor change to solve this issue so they have done nothing. The cost of this simple low cost gyro is $79 and I have three of them. I have ordered three HobbyEagle A3 Super 3 programmable gyros with tons more capabilities for $40 each. So go figure, $40 for better more capable technology or $79 for a simple low cost gyro!

Comment

I spoke with Futaba today about the rate change defect with their GYA460 Gyro. They have been aware of this issue since it was introduced in 2016 but have done nothing to fix it. Their logic is that it was meant to be a simple low cost gyro and would require a more expensive processor change to solve this issue so they have done nothing. The cost of this simple low cost gyro is $79 and I have three of them. I have ordered three HobbyEagle A3 Super 3 programmable gyros with tons more capabilities for $40 each. So go figure, $40 for better more capable technology or $79 for a simple low cost gyro!
                  I have only ever used the most basic and cheapest HobbyEagle in my planes. They cost around 20 bucks and ALL have worked flawlessly. I've never found a need to buy the more expensive HobbyEagles as the basic one does all I need it to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    I have only ever used the most basic and cheapest HobbyEagle in my planes. They cost around 20 bucks and ALL have worked flawlessly. I've never found a need to buy the more expensive HobbyEagles as the basic one does all I need it to do.
                    Second that. That $20 gyro really works well, I like it a lot.
                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• My second "go to" gyro is the Freewing unit, but it costs 10 bucks more than the cheap HE and it doesn't do as much as the HE. I got a couple just to try and compare. The Freewing can be assigned to a switch that allows it to be turned on and off. The HobbyEagle has the ability to be turned on/off and also has the function of a master gain. Both work extremely well. By comparison, the HE is a bargain.

Comment

• Just my 2 cents, but I think the most versatile and complete gyro is with the Spektrum 637T receiver which includes a gyro. Yes, it's more expensive at $99, but that includes a receiver and integrated gyro. It also accepts remote satellite receivers for enhanced reception and integrated telemetry if you want it. Programming is now so simple with it being done in the TX which allows 3 different Flight modes of gains. I set them up so the flight modes change with the flaps, allowing for higher gains on take-off flaps and even higher gains on landing flaps when theoretically the aircraft is going slower and can take substantially higher gains, in the 80-90% range. In addition to that the gains can be turned down or off with a full range dial on the transmitter in any of the 3 modes if you desire. You can also adjust the gain on any of the 3 surfaces in each of the 3 flight modes when you want. You also have the ability to use heading gain if you like (which is something I actually never use) or even the ability to program a safe mode (though I have never used that either). I'm definitely not a fan of HH, but I certainly am of the Spektrum AS3X receivers. The simplicity of the programming is exceptional, cause if I can do it, anyone with a an IQ in the range of highway speed limits can as well.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I also use an integrated receiver gyro. assigned to a 3 position switch. Off. Assist or recovery like the as3x It's a dynam detrum ttx and Rx. Most will laugh. It just worked out that way I live a mile or so from a dynam distributer here. If I new then what I no now. I would have gone spectrum.... But to be fair. The electronics. Have been very reliable. Unlike the the planes themselves!!! Gain adjust is in the tx setup not the Rx. Works well ..but it took me a little bit to learn how to drive it lol. Bitgo. Has that stuff now. I think the Rx is about 50 bucks us

Comment

• gyro's, gyro's gyro's I like the roast beef gyro's and they are only 5 bucks. I would never put it in a plane
                            Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• It works. Unlike the futaba from previous posts oh well mostly all made in the same place. That might change now!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post
                                gyro's, gyro's gyro's I like the roast beef gyro's and they are only 5 bucks. I would never put it in a plane
                                I was the same way --- once. I now put one in any plane that I feel needs it. It harkens back to the day, not that long ago, when the old geezers (BTW, I'm an old geezer) at one of my clubs would sneer at anyone who came with a foamie. "Those aren't real planes and I'll never fly them." These were the same geezers who turned their noses up at gyros. Years later and we arrive at today. A great number of those same geezers fly foamies and their foamies outnumber their "traditional" balsa, liquid fueled planes. Oh, and some of them even have gyros in them. Who got the last laugh?

Comment

• Yep look back to long u get a saw neck the hobby is fun .. that's why we do it

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    I was the same way --- once. I now put one in any plane that I feel needs it. It harkens back to the day, not that long ago, when the old geezers (BTW, I'm an old geezer) at one of my clubs would sneer at anyone who came with a foamie. "Those aren't real planes and I'll never fly them." These were the same geezers who turned their noses up at gyros. Years later and we arrive at today. A great number of those same geezers fly foamies and their foamies outnumber their "traditional" balsa, liquid fueled planes. Oh, and some of them even have gyros in them. Who got the last laugh?
                                    then there are the old foggies like me that know what they are doing, and just don't see a need for a gyro. maybe when i'm as old as the older foggies and need help to fly. but not now.

Joe
                                    Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post

then there are the old foggies like me that know what they are doing, and just don't see a need for a gyro. maybe when i'm as old as the older foggies and need help to fly. but not now.

Joe
                                      Hey Joe, actually I felt the same way until I tried one. To quote my own hackneyed saying - "I like to fly scale", because I enjoy the fantasy of seeing (and flying) scale planes in a semi-realistic fashion. That's just what I like. So when I was flying my F4 Phantom, when I saw it wiggling and bouncing around in flight it just didn't look very good. And landings were a chore. Now, when I fly it with the gyro it feels "locked in" - like its on RR tracks...kind of like it weighs about 5000lbs, like it will go straight through the side of a building like a missile. I don't need the gyro - it just makes it fly so much better it literally made me LOL the first time I tried it - not kidding.

So all I'm saying is that you may want to try one, just as an experiment. Just for fun. Doesn't matter how old you are. (I'm older than dirt)
                                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Five more great flights today, all with very good landings! Then came flight 6. Wind had picked up but it was nearly straight down the runway. Flight was normal and landing approach was as good as the first five right down to just seconds before the mains touched down. A direct crosswind gust and the Corsair was instantly right wingtip pointing to the sky. I was just too slow. I did add power, right aileron and down elevator but there was just no wind across the flight surfaces so it cartwheeled into the pavement. A total loss. But, I have a new one that will be on its way tomorrow from MotionRC. Made me sick though to tell the truth.

Comment

• Good Evening Guys! I've been out of contact for awhile...I had a birdcage and due to the classic Corsair stall, I lost it about a year ago. But I just got a replacement and am getting it prepped. There are two springs in the miscellaneous bag that I don't recognize from before...can you guys clue me in on what they are for? They look like maybe they would go over the struts, but ???

Thanks...looking forward to being back in the thread!

Rob

Comment

Working...
                                          X