X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post
    Good Evening Guys! I've been out of contact for awhile...I had a birdcage and due to the classic Corsair stall, I lost it about a year ago. But I just got a replacement and am getting it prepped. There are two springs in the miscellaneous bag that I don't recognize from before...can you guys clue me in on what they are for? They look like maybe they would go over the struts, but ???

Thanks...looking forward to being back in the thread!

Rob
    When I received my bubble top I also had those two springs in the bag. I called Motion RC and they really did not know why they were there. They go inside the oleo struts on the main gear. So they finally said they were just extras. I thought that maybe they were a different strength and were provided to either stiffen or soften the struts. But, nobody so far knows the answer to that. I did not use them.

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey Joe, actually I felt the same way until I tried one. To quote my own hackneyed saying - "I like to fly scale", because I enjoy the fantasy of seeing (and flying) scale planes in a semi-realistic fashion. That's just what I like. So when I was flying my F4 Phantom, when I saw it wiggling and bouncing around in flight it just didn't look very good. And landings were a chore. Now, when I fly it with the gyro it feels "locked in" - like its on RR tracks...kind of like it weighs about 5000lbs, like it will go straight through the side of a building like a missile. I don't need the gyro - it just makes it fly so much better it literally made me LOL the first time I tried it - not kidding.

So all I'm saying is that you may want to try one, just as an experiment. Just for fun. Doesn't matter how old you are. (I'm older than dirt)
      I have 4 me109's and 2 spits in my hanger, because they challenge me! if landing warbirds is a chore for you spend a few days at the field with me and no gyro and it won't be any more! if you like the way gyro's fly your plane great, cause your happy w it. I have flown gyro's and not been happy with the different feel of the sticks, felt like I was driving a bus. like I tell my grand son who soloed and added a low wing trainer to his hanger this year "what you learn from the plane is what is important! not avoiding damage. push the envelope and every time you see something new analyze what happened and how you reacted, and what outcome you got. if you don't understand something talk to uncle Jay or I and we will go through it"

knowledge is the key

Joe

p. s. he has not flown a foamie yet because they mitigate some of the aspects we want him to experience. though his eyes are fixed on my fms fw190 being his next plane and first tail dragger.
      Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by paulsnapp View Post

When I received my bubble top I also had those two springs in the bag. I called Motion RC and they really did not know why they were there. They go inside the oleo struts on the main gear. So they finally said they were just extras. I thought that maybe they were a different strength and were provided to either stiffen or soften the struts. But, nobody so far knows the answer to that. I did not use them.
        Give 'em to your "special" friend for ear rings.

Comment

• Only 2 sets springs on mine 2 internally 4 the struts and 2 for the gear doors which pull shut with the gear. Mines 12 months old. Paulsnap. I was horrified when I tipstalled mine. But I was lucky just a wing really. Bad luck. I hate crosswind need to b better with rudder

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
            Only 2 sets springs on mine 2 internally 4 the struts and 2 for the gear doors which pull shut with the gear. Mines 12 months old. Paulsnap. I was horrified when I tipstalled mine. But I was lucky just a wing really. Bad luck. I hate crosswind need to b better with rudder
            Yep, my skill set is not yet what it needs to be. But, back in the saddle! I will receive a new one today and the build will begin. I am sure I will be very gun shy when I go to fly my new one. Will probably land at 90mph. I just have to get my skill level to where my heart and blood pressure are not maxed out when I am flying.

Comment

Here's what they look like...Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3325.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	281994

Comment

• I got my replacement a week or so ago. I also got my decal set from Callie today and got it looking real good. In my box I also got the spare springs. Also I noticed a change to the Corsair, small but I noticed. The exhaust stacks aren’t painted gold anymore. Eventually I may paint them but for now I have to glue my canopy back on and balance it, an she’s ready to fly.
                Also I tried to name it “stickers”, but my wife changed it to snickers. I like Stickers like the nick name from the movie Cars. My Wife likes to name my planes.

Comment

• They all like to b in charge. !! Just quietly. . I wanna bird cage. Was going to get it first. But I've been looking at zirolli plans.... Bit scary. 12 month project I think. It's not the build skills. I'm a panel beater it's the. The lack of major info balance points etc. That the squark team has mainly on the foam stuff etc. Luv. James zero. Good luck cobra

Comment

• So my exhaust are painted but I'm having trouble with the aluminum back plate that goes behind the prop. The first one had one hole in the outer row (the ones that take the shorter screw) that was drilled too big to even get the screw to start. I called and MRC sent a replacement which arrived yesterday. All the screws snugged down except one, again in the outer row, and this time the screw started but as soon as it began to get tension, it stripped out. I have tried other screws and flipped the plate to see if one side works better, but no joy. I'll call again tomorrow...apparently nobody else is having this issue?

Rob

Comment

• Have you tried a slightly bigger screw?

Comment

• I don’t know if I have one with the right thread pitch...I’ll have to poke through my stuff!

Comment

• If you get a slightly bigger screw, the thread won't matter as it'll make its own thread. Find one with same size and shape of head so it matches the others. The threaded part can be a bit wider and the length can also vary a bit. That part won't be seen.

Comment

• They can b hard to start. Very fine thread I have thought about drilling thru using a longer bolt(screw) with a nylock or nut at the very back couple dollers. I'm always nervous about stripping the thread. Nylock will stop it vibrating off

Comment

• Originally posted by Md_cobra View Post
                              I got my replacement a week or so ago. I also got my decal set from Callie today and got it looking real good. In my box I also got the spare springs. Also I noticed a change to the Corsair, small but I noticed. The exhaust stacks aren’t painted gold anymore. Eventually I may paint them but for now I have to glue my canopy back on and balance it, an she’s ready to fly.
                              Also I tried to name it “stickers”, but my wife changed it to snickers. I like Stickers like the nick name from the movie Cars. My Wife likes to name my planes.
                              That's interesting, I got my new one just a couple of days ago and the exhaust stacks are painted gold just like the first one I had.

Comment

• Finally got my maiden done and another day of flying in 7 flightS total. 2nd day was about 15 kts of wind. Plane flies great, really pleased, was scared about all gear issues. But landing 1/2 flaps on grass kept speed up with power just off grass and roll it on. Solid in wind, no gyro. Cg a bit forward at about 90. Flying 50c 6000 HRB batter is about 7 minutes with hard flying wide open passes back and forth. Once again really enjoying plane looks great, flys great. Read a few other people with no issues on gear and I agree. Lots of good gouge about how to land this. I’ll try to post a video next time. Happy flying!

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	11C7F819-620A-42F9-A688-4320CC723AFE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	205.0 KB ID:	282486Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	282487 Got the maiden in Yesterday. Was like shaking hands with an old friend. A little bit of trim and she was gold. I did have to add one of the extra weights to reach cog. Landing were a bit bouncy but it was getting dark.

I guess my plane got missed with the painted exhaust. See pic included. I did get a second flight in but had to keep it close because it was pretty much dark. Let’s just say the lights really stood out and were easy to see.
                                  MD

Comment

The second set of OLEO springs are definitely firmer. The springs that are installed when you receive the model are softer and could possibly bottom out during a rough landing causing failures in the gear. I know because it happened to me. Since installing the firmer springs the ground handling is much better and I have not had any gear failures. IMO if you fly off a rough grass field the firmer springs are the way to go.

Comment

Good Evening Guys! I've been out of contact for awhile...I had a birdcage and due to the classic Corsair stall, I lost it about a year ago. But I just got a replacement and am getting it prepped. There are two springs in the miscellaneous bag that I don't recognize from before...can you guys clue me in on what they are for? They look like maybe they would go over the struts, but ???

Thanks...looking forward to being back in the thread!

Rob
                                      They are firmer springs that are inside the main gear struts. IMO the firmer springs are recommended if you fly off a rough grass field

Comment

Here's what they look like...Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3325.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	281994
                                        Firmer Main gear springs. I Recommend using them if your field is bumpy, they will save your gear by keeping them from bottoming out on a rough landing which can cause gear failures.

Comment

Is there anyone out there who has successfully maiden and flown this Corsair without breaking a retract?
                                          Avoiding 3 point landings is always recommended with Corsairs. Landing on the Main gear with forward momentum is the way to go IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                          X