X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

I totally agree with LB. I used to do competitions with big gasser warbirds at a national level for several years, but that is all behind me now. I just have fun playing with these foamies. In fact, the main purpose of detailing this present model Corsair is just to pay homage to the Chance Vought company that produced some of the finest fighters for their time. The innovations of the Corsair, for instance, were decades ahead of their time. I enjoy modeling to a reasonably high level these days, even with foamies, but I like to also enjoy and appreciate all the wonderful works that come out of our entire modeling group. I'm happy to be a part of this group.
    Amen to that fellas!

Comment

• Progress on my Corsair. Still some decals to apply and blending to do. Afterward, I will go over it with accents like dust and fading. Then onto paint wear using some chipping tricks I know. I love this bird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arycon View Post
        Progress on my Corsair. Still some decals to apply and blending to do. Afterward, I will go over it with accents like dust and fading. Then onto paint wear using some chipping tricks I know. I love this bird.
        AC, great work. I am just lovin' all these new Corsair repaints and mods. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I concur! Great job man!
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Nice work!

Comment

Progress on my Corsair. Still some decals to apply and blending to do. Afterward, I will go over it with accents like dust and fading. Then onto paint wear using some chipping tricks I know. I love this bird.
              Very cool, AC! Aircraft looks to me like early VF-17, Lt. Commander Tommy Blackburn, commanding. Really looks great. VF-17 is my favorite Navy WWII squadron, the Jolly Rogers. Neat that the tradition of the skull and crossbones that he devised in WWII still carries on to this day, I believe in VF-103, an F-18 squadron. I have a Freewing F-4N that I painted up as VF-84 Jolly Rogers squadron circa 1975, in honor of what VF-17 did in the war.

Love to see more finished pics when you finish with it. I hope to maiden my Corsair painted up in VMF-215, the Fighting Corsairs, sometime next week, hopefully.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

Very cool, AC! Aircraft looks to me like early VF-17, Lt. Commander Tommy Blackburn, commanding. Really looks great. VF-17 is my favorite Navy WWII squadron, the Jolly Rogers. Neat that the tradition of the skull and crossbones that he devised in WWII still carries on to this day, I believe in VF-103, an F-18 squadron. I have a Freewing F-4N that I painted up as VF-84 Jolly Rogers squadron circa 1975, in honor of what VF-17 did in the war.

Love to see more finished pics when you finish with it. I hope to maiden my Corsair painted up in VMF-215, the Fighting Corsairs, sometime next week, hopefully.

Cheers

davegee
                Thank you, sir, and everyone else as well. So many great customs and talented pilots in this thread.

Today I added the Mr. RC sound system and two TT-25 speakers. Sounded amazing in the air, though the take.off was a little too close of a call going off the runway. Ended up being an amazing flight, but the wind got the better of me on landing. Bounced a bit and nosed over a tad before getting kicked back on the wheels by the wind. There was zero damage, save my pride. Plane is unscathed, thankfully.

I love the Jolly Roger squadron. You are absolutely right. It is VF-17 aboard the U.S.S. Bunker Hill and no. 13 of the squadron. I thought a lot about which scheme I wanted and settled on it. Graphics all by Callie, of course. I will take more pics after I dust it up and add chipping. Should really bring it to life. Looked amazing roaring by.

Take off this morning was hairy. Wind was gusting and pointed me toward the edge of the road and I didnt compensate enough. You can see it hit me when I start a ledt bank: https://youtu.be/3uehw2BvA9E

Can anyone give me a hint on how to embed videos? Seems like it would be easier for people to view.

Comment

Thank you, sir, and everyone else as well. So many great customs and talented pilots in this thread.

Today I added the Mr. RC sound system and two TT-25 speakers. Sounded amazing in the air, though the take.off was a little too close of a call going off the runway. Ended up being an amazing flight, but the wind got the better of me on landing. Bounced a bit and nosed over a tad before getting kicked back on the wheels by the wind. There was zero damage, save my pride. Plane is unscathed, thankfully.

I love the Jolly Roger squadron. You are absolutely right. It is VF-17 aboard the U.S.S. Bunker Hill and no. 13 of the squadron. I thought a lot about which scheme I wanted and settled on it. Graphics all by Callie, of course. I will take more pics after I dust it up and add chipping. Should really bring it to life. Looked amazing roaring by.

Take off this morning: https://youtu.be/3uehw2BvA9E

Can anyone give me a hint on how to embed videos? Seems like it would be easier for people to view.
                  Good choice of a livery to model for your airplane. That squadron had a bunch of superstars in it. I like the sound of the R2800 in your video. Really makes it sound like it's big brother!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Arycon the sound system is a nice addition and your Corsair looks great. I'm hooked on having that system in all my prop warbirds.

To imbed a video go to the second icon on the top left that looks like 2 chains hooked together, just next to the "camera icon". Once you click on it, at the very bottom, you will see space to add the video link where it "says" http;//. You can copy the video link and paste it there, then hit "Add Link".

To imbed photos in the text of the message (slightly different than the way you added your photos), you can hit the first icon on the top right which will show as "Upload Attachments", then select a photo from your library and once it uploads it, you can select the size, small/medium/large/etc. This is a little different than what you posted the photos of the Corsair with by using the camera icon on the top left, where all the photos are arranged at the bottom and are small (but a reader can click on it to enlarge any photo). This second "method" allows you to place the photo in the body of the text wherever you want and you can perhaps write a description of what it's showing. A reader can still click on it to enlarge it if they want, unless you already uploaded it as "full size". Different strokes for different folks.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                      Arycon the sound system is a nice addition and your Corsair looks great. I'm hooked on having that system in all my prop warbirds.

To imbed a video go to the second icon on the top left that looks like 2 chains hooked together, just next to the "camera icon". Once you click on it, at the very bottom, you will see space to add the video link where it "says" http;//. You can copy the video link and paste it there, then hit "Add Link".

To imbed photos in the text of the message (slightly different than the way you added your photos), you can hit the first icon on the top right which will show as "Upload Attachments", then select a photo from your library and once it uploads it, you can select the size, small/medium/large/etc. This is a little different than what you posted the photos of the Corsair with by using the camera icon on the top left, where all the photos are arranged at the bottom and are small (but a reader can click on it to enlarge any photo). This second "method" allows you to place the photo in the body of the text wherever you want and you can perhaps write a description of what it's showing. A reader can still click on it to enlarge it if they want, unless you already uploaded it as "full size". Different strokes for different folks.
                      Thanks. I will keep that in mind for future posts. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by davegee View Post

Good choice of a livery to model for your airplane. That squadron had a bunch of superstars in it. I like the sound of the R2800 in your video. Really makes it sound like it's big brother!

Cheers

davegee
                      Yeah. I forgot to mention I used to live in Va Beach, VA. NAS Oceana is based there and is home to VFA-103. While not directly related to VF-17 of WWII, VFA-103 transitioned to the F-14B in the early 80's and adopted the Jolly Roger as their emblem from another squadron sometime in the mid 90's. I grew up with them flying maneuvers there. They eventually transitioned to F/A-18's and carry on the tradition still. It's the inspiration for my livery selection.

Comment

Thanks. I will keep that in mind for future posts. Much appreciated.

Yeah. I forgot to mention I used to live in Va Beach, VA. NAS Oceana is based there and is home to VFA-103. While not directly related to VF-17 of WWII, VFA-103 transitioned to the F-14B in the early 80's and adopted the Jolly Roger as their emblem from another squadron sometime in the mid 90's. I grew up with them flying maneuvers there. They eventually transitioned to F/A-18's and carry on the tradition still. It's the inspiration for my livery selection.
                        Outstanding! I have some friends who flew out of there in the day. After reading Tommy Blackburn's book about his life with VF-17 during WWII, I was captivated by the Jolly Rogers story and theme that still lives today in VFA-103, at least the skull and crossbones moniker.

I recently bought a Freewing F-4, am converting it to an N model, and from the beginning, chose the Jolly Rogers theme. In this case, it was VF-84, and I chose to model a plane that flew around 1975 in the Mediterranean area, probably on a cruise there on the USS Roosevelt.

Good choice on the paint scheme for your Corsair! 👍 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0417.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	313853Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0418 (1)adjusted.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	313854

Comment

• Did some dressing up work on the Corsair engine area today. I couldn't leave it go, as is. Not my style. This is a pretty standard thing for me to embellish, the engine area of recip planes, even for foamies. In this case, I took a photo of one of the existing cylinders of the plane. Then, I made nine copies and trimmed them so that they would fit in the empty gaps between each "real" cylinder on the model. I then got some gold elastic cord at Walmart this morning, and made up the wiring harness. I'll attach a couple of pics of that area. Other than a few hours spent, I don't think it cost me $3 for the parts.

Years ago, I did the same thing on a 1/5 scale Corsair, but that time I had extra resin cylinders that I could drop in between the front row, so I had 18 total. Scratchbuilt the wiring harness and aluminum tube that the wires come out of, and a few other things, too, as I recall.

The point being, there are inexpensive ways to dress up the Corsair engine area, if one is so inclined. I Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0429.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	313858Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	313859Click image for larger version  Name:	dsc_1526resized_edited-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.2 KB ID:	313860 suppose most are happy with the looks as it is, but for those who want to push it a little, with a bit of patience you can get a much better and attractive rendition of that famous P&W R2800 motor!

Comment

• Love it! Great work davegee. Warms my heart that many folks are taking the time to add scale detail to this wonderful model and legendary aircraft. I detailed out my Frank Tiano dummy radial for my 1/5 Corsair only to find out it wouldn't fit for electric. Booooo! So I had to settle for a basic dummy radial but I look forward to detailing that one out.
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                              Love it! Great work davegee. Warms my heart that many folks are taking the time to add scale detail to this wonderful model and legendary aircraft. I detailed out my Frank Tiano dummy radial for my 1/5 Corsair only to find out it wouldn't fit for electric. Booooo! So I had to settle for a basic dummy radial but I look forward to detailing that one out.
                              Thanks, it wasn't really a whole lot of work to do, I've done a bunch of Corsairs and P-47s in the past! Hope you get to detail Frank's Corsair. He was quite a guy.

davegee

Comment

• Am finishing up on a few detail items for the Corsair. Built another pitot tube that can be removed when not flying. This time, instead of gluing a piece of wood to the brass or aluminum tube and shaping the head. I took a scrap piece of aluminum rod and started carving it down. Worked better than the wood ones, and less time involved, too. I don't know why I didn't think of that one before! Also put a dummy tail light on the aft end of the fuse.

I bought some tiny springs and wire that I'll use to set up the antenna wires that this airplane used. I used to buy a little kit from Motion RC for the F7F Tigercat that I have, but I didn't see it for sale online. This will work just as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0432.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	313899Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0433.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	313900

Comment

Outstanding! I have some friends who flew out of there in the day. After reading Tommy Blackburn's book about his life with VF-17 during WWII, I was captivated by the Jolly Rogers story and theme that still lives today in VFA-103, at least the skull and crossbones moniker.

I recently bought a Freewing F-4, am converting it to an N model, and from the beginning, chose the Jolly Rogers theme. In this case, it was VF-84, and I chose to model a plane that flew around 1975 in the Mediterranean area, probably on a cruise there on the USS Roosevelt.

Good choice on the paint scheme for your Corsair! 👍 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0417.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	313853Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0418 (1)adjusted.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	313854
                                  Nice Phantom! That looks killer. I almost bought an E-Flite Phantom for my first jet but went with a T-33 instead. VF-85 is the squadron VFA-103 took the Jolly Roger from, if memory serves. So many great planes here. Oh, and fantastic work on that radial engine. Killer skills. I may have to do that myself. Really great work.

Comment

Nice Phantom! That looks killer. I almost bought an E-Flite Phantom for my first jet but went with a T-33 instead. VF-85 is the squadron VFA-103 took the Jolly Roger from, if memory serves. So many great planes here. Oh, and fantastic work on that radial engine. Killer skills. I may have to do that myself. Really great work.
                                    Definitely doable to upgrade the looks of the engine, if you choose to do so. If you're thinking about doing it and have any questions, please PM me and we can discuss.

You'd probably like the F-4, too, and could get Callie to make you some great decals for it. I have a T-33 that I've had for a couple of years that I now use as a "warm up" before taking the F-4 up. Had a bunch of lousy landings with the Phantom, but the last one was about as good as you can get, so I hope I've turned over a new leaf in landing it better. Flies great once you get it dialed in.

Looking forward to more pics of how you do the paint chips and other embellishments on your Corsair.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	download (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.9 KB ID:	314264 I'm closing in with the last of the details to complete my new Flightline F4U-1A Corsair. I finished up the cockpit yesterday. My wife repainted the pilot figure to look more like the pilot of the real plane that I am modeling, Lt. Bob Hanson, USMC. He often wore a marine camo jacket into battle. I also added some wires for the headset in his cloth helmet. Did some detailing to the Navy Mk. VII gunsight that was being used at the time, including the oval shaped reflective glass panel,

I had Callie print up a realistic cluster of period instruments for the dashboard, and substituted a 3D printed cockpit panel for the kit included one, Last, I detailed the armament switch panels on the glareshield, and ran simulated wires back into the fuselage per the real airplane, just for yuks.

The last thing I did was rig up antenna wires from the top of the rudder to the forward radio mast on the fuselage using springs and nylon wire. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0445.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	314262Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0447.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	314263

I hope to take a better battery of outdoor shots on the runway soon, and then do the maiden next week sometime.

Comment

• Outstanding davegee
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                          Outstanding davegee
                                          Thanks!

davegee

Comment

Working...
                                          X