Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave, the other thing you can do is to beef up the bec or put in a Rx battery. Slowing down a servo with the radio draws a little more power... and we're running 4 at the same time here! Not to mention, you are still running flight servos and since the flaps are going slow, there's a greater chance the gear is possibly being cycled at the same time. There ya go, you just put it all to the test. Big draw on the bec and the entire radio system. So, what has the biggest load? Hint, a big surface that is really being pushed on. The weakest link will shut down first. If it was your right outboard flap as you say, it will seem as if it's not working. Just like a servo that has no power to it, you can move it with a bit of pressure.

Most of the time we don't see a problem. But, planes are all different with different loads, some linkages, some hinging, whatever. Becs are generally put right at the limit with these bigger planes. That's why it happens randomly sometimes.
    Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Excellent points!

thanks!!

Comment

• Is there a common elevator servo that anyone is using to replace the stock one? Mine centers poorly. One main larger Hitec would be great. Or I could put a micro servo in the fuse on each side under the stab to keep the linkage short. It's tough doing high speed worm burner passes if your elevator won't center.

Comment

• Anyone have an .stl for a pitot tube?

Comment

• Originally posted by FoamOvercast17 View Post
            Is there a common elevator servo that anyone is using to replace the stock one? Mine centers poorly. One main larger Hitec would be great. Or I could put a micro servo in the fuse on each side under the stab to keep the linkage short. It's tough doing high speed worm burner passes if your elevator won't center.
            Typically a HiTec D85MG replaces a Freewing 17g digital servo quite nicely. Same dimensions with better torque and much better centering.
            Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Originally posted by Skosh25 View Post
              Anyone have an .stl for a pitot tube?
              Corsair Pitot Tube Tip.stl

S2, this was posted awhile back. I do not have the author's name or moniker to give the proper credit. Also, it is only the end tip. I have not printed it, just stored it. If you cannot download this file, let me know and I will put in a Zip File and repost. Happy Hunting. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks LB

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
                  Dave, the other thing you can do is to beef up the bec or put in a Rx battery. Slowing down a servo with the radio draws a little more power... and we're running 4 at the same time here! Not to mention, you are still running flight servos and since the flaps are going slow, there's a greater chance the gear is possibly being cycled at the same time. There ya go, you just put it all to the test. Big draw on the bec and the entire radio system. So, what has the biggest load? Hint, a big surface that is really being pushed on. The weakest link will shut down first. If it was your right outboard flap as you say, it will seem as if it's not working. Just like a servo that has no power to it, you can move it with a bit of pressure.

Most of the time we don't see a problem. But, planes are all different with different loads, some linkages, some hinging, whatever. Becs are generally put right at the limit with these bigger planes. That's why it happens randomly sometimes.
                  I got one flight in this evening with the Corsair to test out the flaps. Worked perfectly, this time, I dropped the gear for landing first on downwind leg, made sure they were fully down, and then brought the flaps in to landing flap position with a 2 second deploy speed from up to down, trying not to overtax the BEC. Everything worked perfectly, and I would have tried a few more flights but the west sun was just killer to safely bring the airplane in with it staring you right in the face. We only have one suitable runway (E-W) for this size foamie and this time of year, early or late flights are tough with the sun angle.

I was very happy with the plane's performance, and will continue checking it out to see if it messes up again in bringing the flaps down asymmetrically. I also replaced the Spektrum 7 channel receiver that I've had for a long time, possibly in a crash or two in its history, with a brand new 6 channel Spektrum receiver that has no external satellite receivers installed. It's supposed to be even better than that earlier generation. At any rate, the plane flew perfectly with it installed on its first flight.

davegee

Comment

• Excellent Dave, let's hope she stays that way!
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                      Excellent Dave, let's hope she stays that way!
                      Thanks, Aros! I'm not quite ready to give it a complete thumbs up at this point, but I am hopeful that with some more test flights, I can put this issue to bed and really enjoy flying the plane. It is really fun to fly when everything works properly, and I think pretty realistic to the real thing if you like flying "scale" as I do.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Absolutely that is my preference. I love flying these models like their big sisters would fly. Nice and scale all the way!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Best of luck with the finishing out of your big Corsair, Aros. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                            Best of luck with the finishing out of your big Corsair, Aros. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

cheers

davegee
                            I will likely take you up on that when the time comes! Thank you!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Ran two sorties today. Good landings both times, though, I did have a bounce both times but flared after and settled on the mains with ease so the gear held up. Definitely needs those robart diamond wheels. What a great flying plane.

Also testing out my Mr. RC Sound card 4.1, and with two TT-25 speakers installed, she had some throaty passes going on. It sounded amazing and scale flying really makes it seem like the real thing drifting on by.

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post

Typically a HiTec D85MG replaces a Freewing 17g digital servo quite nicely. Same dimensions with better torque and much better centering.
                                Thanks a lot for the advice. It dropped right in and is a lot smoother. My confidence level cranking the plane around just went up...

Comment

I got one flight in this evening with the Corsair to test out the flaps. Worked perfectly, this time, I dropped the gear for landing first on downwind leg, made sure they were fully down, and then brought the flaps in to landing flap position with a 2 second deploy speed from up to down, trying not to overtax the BEC. Everything worked perfectly, and I would have tried a few more flights but the west sun was just killer to safely bring the airplane in with it staring you right in the face. We only have one suitable runway (E-W) for this size foamie and this time of year, early or late flights are tough with the sun angle.

I was very happy with the plane's performance, and will continue checking it out to see if it messes up again in bringing the flaps down asymmetrically. I also replaced the Spektrum 7 channel receiver that I've had for a long time, possibly in a crash or two in its history, with a brand new 6 channel Spektrum receiver that has no external satellite receivers installed. It's supposed to be even better than that earlier generation. At any rate, the plane flew perfectly with it installed on its first flight.

davegee
                                  Well, the winds subsided enough to get an early set of test flights in on my Corsair. I got a bunch of takeoffs and landings, but still had on at least one occasion the troublesome right wing flaps not deploying properly.

I did several flights where for landing I extended the gear, and once it was down went right from flaps up to flaps full down, flipping through the intermediate flap position of the switch. I found this to be a good work around for now. The flaps seem to come out just fine then, a two second cycle from flaps up to flaps down.

So, I'll call my aircraft now "operational" although I have still to learn why this issue occurs on a random basis while operating the flaps. I've made so many landings with asymmetrical flaps now, it seems almost normal and I expect this could happen on any flight that I do. I can live with that, and except for that annoyance, the plane is really great. I don't expect this will cause me to fly it any less, and I think I'll write off the issue as a "one off" as none of the other airplanes I have now or have had in the past, which is a bunch, has had this issue.

If anyone else has a Flightline Corsair and experiences an unexplained asymmetric flaps issue, I'd appreciate if you'd report it on Hobbysquawk to see if we might find a solution.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Some of you might have seen it already on the motion rc community, here are some shots of my finished corsair

When plastic modelling meets RC flying you get something like this. I've used many techniques from the plastic model guys, and it worked out great !

All markings are painted as well

Hope you like it..

Regards,

Didier

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050031.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	316571Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050037.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	316572Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050036.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	316573Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050034.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	316574Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050033.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	316575Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050035.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	316576Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050032.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	316577

Comment

• That looks fantastic didier n! What's your technique for the whitish wear areas around the trailing edge of the wing? Well done!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Thanks for the comments,

That is actually chipped paint letting the aluminum shining trough. After painting the whole thing, i mixed aluminum paint and some black ( to make it less shiny), and carefully dabbed it on with a sponge... very simple, but needs some practice to get it right!

Cheers!

Comment

davegee
                                          Dave, when i got mine first thing i did was deploy the flaps as far as they can go then move them back to clean to look for binds. i had one, if i go to a full 50 degrees of flap one of the outers locks up in the dirty position. but that was a simple over the center lock because of where the flap control horn is (it should be 1/4in(6mm) to 3/8in (8mm) aft of the hinge line).

as far as quitting on the way down my spit is set up for 74 degrees of flap (as much as i can get with factory control horn position) for the first 50 flights. the sol servo for the flaps was a 30inoz servo it came with (one per flap). when i build the plane i use a 100inoz servo (in 60 in ws planes) if i plan to deploy flaps while in combat with my son. that still only allows 5 or 10 degrees of flap at full tilt. if i don't intend to do combat i use a 60inoz servo. the fl spit comes with a 30inoz servo so it really had to be slowed before flaps, my go to landing speed was higher that the stock servo would take so i would deploy flaps and the air pressure would put them back up prior to my final.

the corsair has two 30 inoz servos per flap which is where my spit is at now (one 60 inoz servo) but the corsair has a lot of flap linkages between the servos and much more cord so a bind anywhere in there would cause what you are seeing. if i were you i would un hook the servo that is acting reliably and use my finger to make the missing servo motion, or hold it clean while actuating the questionable servo (my flaps are on a slider) so i can stop when i encounter a bind and poke at it till i figure out where it is. best of all it has to be done with gravity in the correct location so the plane has to be upright.

Joe
                                          Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

Working...
                                          X