Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine F4U-1A Corsair 1600mm (63") Wingspan

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Joe: thanks for that excellent information. At this point, I'm inclined to think that there might be some other issue besides the binding that you talked about. Most of my flights the past two test flights when I dropped the gear first and waited for it to complete its cycle, and Then bring the flaps down, to full right away (I've reduced the throw to about 40 degrees down), they work perfectly. At the moment, this is a workaround that I am ok with, although the best solution for me is to have full discretion in using the flaps as I wish, including the mid position flaps.

I have the same Spitifire that you do, I believe, the large Flightline Spitfire. I did have some major problems with the flaps starting with the maiden flight, where one flap, either side, would randomly come down to the full down position, and then suddenly go back up again, with no inputs from the transmitter. I think you said you had some issues at first with your plane at some point. The fix for me was for Motion to replace both flap servos, and that was about 5+ years ago. I just took it up again this morning, Still a beautiful flyer. I use close to the 85 degree flap position used on the real planes, I don't remember exactly what the deflection angle is now, but I'm sure it is over 80 degrees, and I've never had any issues with them.

I'll take another look at the servo arm position on my Corsair, and see if I can tweak it a bit. But if I can reliably land with full flaps on both wings by speeding up the up to down flap cycle from 4 seconds to two seconds, and going right to full flaps from flaps up, not pausing at the middle intermediate flap position as I have been experimenting with, I think I'll be happy with that. I think this might become one of my favorite prop fighters to date. Adding the Robart wheels and tires has really helped "stick" the landings.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to respond to my flap questions.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by didier n View Post
      Thanks for the comments,

That is actually chipped paint letting the aluminum shining trough. After painting the whole thing, i mixed aluminum paint and some black ( to make it less shiny), and carefully dabbed it on with a sponge... very simple, but needs some practice to get it right!

Cheers!
      Excellent job on your F4U-1! I was curious what technique you used for painting on the markings. To me, that is the Superior way to go. On larger gas models, or other such projects, I always use stencils and paint on the markings, even down to nomenclature markings. You did a very nice job with that, and also not going overboard with the weathering, although those airplanes flying in the South Pacific islands got to look pretty ratty!

Congrats!

davegee

Comment

• Does anyone have that single sheet that shows the wiring diagram from the bus to the receiver and respective servos? Someone told me it came with the instruction manual but I don't recall getting one. I need to rewire it after doing some repairs and mods. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post
          Does anyone have that single sheet that shows the wiring diagram from the bus to the receiver and respective servos? Someone told me it came with the instruction manual but I don't recall getting one. I need to rewire it after doing some repairs and mods. Thanks!
          Is this what you're looking for? If so, I accept donations, preferably ones that FLY!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_192540.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	317033Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_192606.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	317034Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_192708_001.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	317035
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hey guys! Retired last Tuesday and was off to Montana almost immediately for some needed R and R. Wow, I missed a lot! Dave G, what a great job on the Corsair, love the work on the motor! I'm looking at the same motor out of the Bearcat kit and will be putting the details on her as well, your pics are a great source of inspiration. Seems funny how we keep missing each other at the field, but great to know that Cody is well represented!
            One question to all, is there a narrower version of the Dave Brown tires or the Robarts for that matter? I found that the versions that I have are just a bit wide for the fit I need.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Hello Bent-Wing Brethren, Firstly, welcome back (kinda) Grossman56 and Congrats on your retirement, Sir. Secondly, I have nearly completed the cockpit designs and have even gotten a bit-o-paint on a few parts. It's inspiring for me to finally see some color on the designs. Gluing/Assembly is next and then onto the pilot figure. More when there is more. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                Hello Bent-Wing Brethren, Firstly, welcome back (kinda) Grossman56 and Congrats on your retirement, Sir. Secondly, I have nearly completed the cockpit designs and have even gotten a bit-o-paint on a few parts. It's inspiring for me to finally see some color on the designs. Gluing/Assembly is next and then onto the pilot figure. More when there is more. Best, LB
                WOW, talk about going to the next level, no, not even the next, more like a Quantum Leap! Definitely awe inspiring.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Elbee
                  Elbee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, Hugh. Definitely learning more about the layout of the Corsair than I ever figured I'd need to know. Best, Steve

• Hey Gents and Gentlewomen, a dry-fit with some of the 3DP painted console parts gives a better perspective of the finished result. More when there is more. Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Those look excellent, Elbee! I specially like details like the foot rails, as earlier models of th Corsair didn’t have a “floor”. per se.

Looking forward to seeing more in-construction photos of your progress on the cockpit.

Are these all 3D printed cockpit parts?

cheers

davegee

Comment

• @dirty
                    Originally posted by davegee View Post
                    Those look excellent, Elbee! I specially like details like the foot rails, as earlier models of th Corsair didn’t have a “floor”. per se. Looking forward to seeing more in-construction photos of your progress on the cockpit. Are these all 3D printed cockpit parts? cheers davegee
                    DG, Thank you for compliment. This Corsair deserved some extras. Yes, all the parts are 3DP, which explains how long it usually takes me to finish a model. I enjoy adding missing parts and designing and printing have become the norm for my builds since I bought Dirty Dee 's 3DP Cockpit kit and added it to my Freewing A-10. Bought a Prusa i3 Mk3 shortly after that and it's been just one big print fest ever since. I have gained quite a lot of knowledge of the Corsair with this project and for me that is half the fun. Hope to have more to show soon. Best to you and yours, Steve
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Just stunning Elbee. I am enamored with your skill and attention to detail.
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Elbee
                        Elbee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, Aros. Gosh, it was nuthin'....Hah!! Best, LB

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Excellent job on your F4U-1! I was curious what technique you used for painting on the markings. To me, that is the Superior way to go. On larger gas models, or other such projects, I always use stencils and paint on the markings, even down to nomenclature markings. You did a very nice job with that, and also not going overboard with the weathering, although those airplanes flying in the South Pacific islands got to look pretty ratty!

Congrats!

davegee
                      Thanks,

I cut out the markings from low tack tape, it was time consuming, but well worth the effort.. The white was airbrushed on in thin layers not to make it too "white"...

Regards,

Didier

Comment

• The wing guns were another addition, made from plasticard tubes, they fill the empty looking holes in the wings..

Click image for larger version

Name:	188509466_1447761752232506_1184568367074982634_n.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	317524Click image for larger version

Name:	189625417_147952633980540_3433758936297923441_n.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	317522Click image for larger version

Name:	191403280_477856403447461_1592435219613490365_n.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	317523

Didier

Comment

Thanks,

I cut out the markings from low tack tape, it was time consuming, but well worth the effort.. The white was airbrushed on in thin layers not to make it too "white"...

Regards,

Didier
                          Well done, Didier!

davegee

Comment

The wing guns were another addition, made from plasticard tubes, they fill the empty looking holes in the wings.Didier
                            DD, Great addition and nicely done, I might add. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey y'all, I glued the Corsair's 'faux lower cockpit floor' and accompanying side panels. Did a bit-o-weathering, which turned out pretty okay, I think, though once everything is in place will hardly be noticeable. The upper pieces and console IPs are only dry-fit waiting on me to finish paintwork. I hope this helps make sense of those parts I was designing. Not certain how much of this is accurate to the 1:1, but it's fun and a good exercise in research & design. Happy Independence Day to all. More when there is more. Best, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee Your cockpit assembly looked amazing enough before, but with the wear and weathering, completely next level!

Surely, not a wasted step. I have to say I'm continously inspired by and appreciate quite a number of the people in this forum. Whether it be technical knowledge, flying abilities, creative paint schemes, and all around passion for aviation. And then this, higher level modeling. It may go somewhat unseen once your plane is flight ready, but we saw it! I appreciate it and I'm in awe and/or envious of the creative talent. Damn that's cool!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                                  Elbee Your cockpit assembly looked amazing enough before, but with the wear and weathering, completely next level!

Surely, not a wasted step. I have to say I'm continously inspired by and appreciate quite a number of the people in this forum. Whether it be technical knowledge, flying abilities, creative paint schemes, and all around passion for aviation. And then this, higher level modeling. It may go somewhat unseen once your plane is flight ready, but we saw it! I appreciate it and I'm in awe and/or envious of the creative talent. Damn that's cool!
                                  Very Well Said!
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Elbee
                                    Elbee commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I thank you as well, Sir. Best, LB

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                                  Elbee Your cockpit assembly...
                                  SE, Frankly, your post leaves me at a loss for words, though I would be remiss at the very least not to say thank you very much; I am humbled. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                    Hey y'all, I glued the Corsair's 'faux lower cockpit floor' and accompanying side panels. Did a bit-o-weathering, which turned out pretty okay, I think, though once everything is in place will hardly be noticeable. The upper pieces and console IPs are only dry-fit waiting on me to finish paintwork. I hope this helps make sense of those parts I was designing. Not certain how much of this is accurate to the 1:1, but it's fun and a good exercise in research & design. Happy Independence Day to all. More when there is more. Best, LB
                                    Hi Elbee: coming along great with the cockpit! The detail in this scale with the 3D printing is amazing to me. I can pick out details on the left side console of the wing retract/extend handle, the wing extend lock handle, the tailwheel lock handle, the trim control knobs and all that. And on the right side, readily seen are the oil cooler and cowl flap knobs and the tailhook extend/retract handle and all the rest. Very nice!

Regarding thoughts of possible "wasted effort" on details that might not be seen on the finished model with everything in place, my opinion has always been, since doing scratchbuilding projects since I was young, is that even if they aren't seen or noticeable to the viewer, I know that they are in there, and that is satisfaction enough for me.

I look forward to seeing your completed cockpit, especially a pilot installed inside. Will this be a full body or partial body pilot to fit in there?

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                    X