X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hi Elbee: coming along great with the cockpit! The detail in this scale with the 3D printing is amazing to me. I can pick out details on the left side console of the wing retract/extend handle, the wing extend lock handle, the tailwheel lock handle, the trim control knobs and all that. And on the right side, readily seen are the oil cooler and cowl flap knobs and the tailhook extend/retract handle and all the rest. Very nice! Regarding thoughts of possible "wasted effort" on details that might not be seen on the finished model with everything in place, my opinion has always been, since doing scratch building projects since I was young, is that even if they aren't seen or noticeable to the viewer, I know that they are in there, and that is satisfaction enough for me.I look forward to seeing your completed cockpit, especially a pilot installed inside. Will this be a full body or partial body pilot to fit in there? Cheers, Dave
    Hey Dave, Thank you. Acknowledged and agreed that in this scale, there is certainly motivation to do something. I am from the era of Dave Platt. I am still in awe of what he did to his creations, for lack of a better description. His weathering alone was outstanding.

That written, I have included bits that I only know are there in each of my other four Flightline and Freewing models. I know it's there, and as was pointed out to me, you all know it's there with a picture or two. I just add what I've seen in real life, a drawing, or picture that stand out to me. I know I miss a lot of detail that others would add.

I am adding a full-bodied pilot, though it will take some modification to get the feet to the rudder pedals and the hands to the stick and throttle, but I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. The pilot I am using is Max Grueter's WWII Navy Pilot which can be found on cd-trader. I used his US Modern Jet Pilot design in my Freewing F-18C. His designs are easy to scale and can be modified in post-print without a lot of work.

As I wrote earlier, I know my cockpits are not accurate to the 1:1, but I really like working around what is already there. In the case of scale foamies, it's finding an appropriate scale or scales, removing as little structure, building as little structure, and placement issues. Alpha has said many times that their aircraft are designed to fly and that liberties are taken to achieve that goal and keep costs to the consumer as low as possible. So I just figure I am returning what was compromised to flight characteristics/production costs hoping the design team doesn't think I am a complete idiot.

I like adding back some of what he and the design folks have left to us modelers; which isn't a lot in comparison to your scratch-building projects. I still have a Pica Spitfire in mid-construction from back in the day. All in all, the scale foamies Warbirds and EDF Jets have brought me back to this hobby, so I'm one happy camper. The addition of being able to design and 3D print detail parts so easily just blows me away when I think about the hours I spent trying to build the cockpit I wanted versus the cockpit I built back in the '80's.

Thank you again for the continued inspiration, and I say that to anyone who might believe my builds take too long considering what came in the box. I know Tamms thinks I have 'totally lost it' when I show her the results of two weekends of design, 3D prints and paint work and it looks virtually the same.

Best to you and yours, Steve
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Hey Dave, Thank you. Acknowledged and agreed that in this scale, there is certainly motivation to do something. I am from the era of Dave Platt. I am still in awe of what he did to his creations, for lack of a better description. His weathering alone was outstanding.

That written, I have included bits that I only know are there in each of my other four Flightline and Freewing models. I know it's there, and as was pointed out to me, you all know it's there with a picture or two. I just add what I've seen in real life, a drawing, or picture that stand out to me. I know I miss a lot of detail that others would add.

I am adding a full-bodied pilot, though it will take some modification to get the feet to the rudder pedals and the hands to the stick and throttle, but I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. The pilot I am using is Max Grueter's WWII Navy Pilot which can be found on cd-trader. I used his US Modern Jet Pilot design in my Freewing F-18C. His designs are easy to scale and can be modified in post-print without a lot of work.

As I wrote earlier, I know my cockpits are not accurate to the 1:1, but I really like working around what is already there. In the case of scale foamies, it's finding an appropriate scale or scales, removing as little structure, building as little structure, and placement issues. Alpha has said many times that their aircraft are designed to fly and that liberties are taken to achieve that goal and keep costs to the consumer as low as possible. So I just figure I am returning what was compromised to flight characteristics/production costs hoping the design team doesn't think I am a complete idiot.

I like adding back some of what he and the design folks have left to us modelers; which isn't a lot in comparison to your scratch-building projects. I still have a Pica Spitfire in mid-construction from back in the day. All in all, the scale foamies Warbirds and EDF Jets have brought me back to this hobby, so I'm one happy camper. The addition of being able to design and 3D print detail parts so easily just blows me away when I think about the hours I spent trying to build the cockpit I wanted versus the cockpit I built back in the '80's.

Thank you again for the continued inspiration, and I say that to anyone who might believe my builds take too long considering what came in the box. I know Tamms thinks I have 'totally lost it' when I show her the results of two weekends of design, 3D prints and paint work and it looks virtually the same.

Best to you and yours, Steve
      Hi Steve: I know that I am still "stone age" without having a 3D printer or the knowledge to use one, even if had one! But I think at some point I'll spring for a reasonable unit. I almost pulled the trigger on getting the Prusa unit like what you have, but figured I didn't even have the faintest idea how to get printing commands into the Prusa to make what I want it to. I still hope to do that someday, though, as I could sure use making my own parts that way versus carving and searching for items at hobby stores that I can try fashion into what I need. That technique has been working for me for over five decades or more, but I can appreciate the value of 3D printing potential.

At any rate, carry on, love seeing your progression with this cockpit! Although I have never flown a real Corsair before, I have a computer program flying model that has one that is extremely accurate, to my knowledge. That really helps my familiarity with all the controls in the cockpit, and how they really stand out to me seeing your 3D panel printouts.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Elbee
        Elbee commented
        Editing a comment
        Dave, sent you a PM. Steve

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
      Elbee Your cockpit assembly looked amazing enough before, but with the wear and weathering, completely next level!

Surely, not a wasted step. I have to say I'm continously inspired by and appreciate quite a number of the people in this forum. Whether it be technical knowledge, flying abilities, creative paint schemes, and all around passion for aviation. And then this, higher level modeling. It may go somewhat unseen once your plane is flight ready, but we saw it! I appreciate it and I'm in awe and/or envious of the creative talent. Damn that's cool!
      Well put and I concur on every level!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Anything new on the weak gear problem?
        Did my taxi test with my new Corsair, on freshly cut grass and both retract cases cracked. I knew there was a problem in this area of the Corsair, but never thought it was this easy to break the gear. Hope a solution is found soon as am a little gun shy at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by heartlandaccents View Post
          Anything new on the weak gear problem?
          Did my taxi test with my new Corsair, on freshly cut grass and both retract cases cracked. I knew there was a problem in this area of the Corsair, but never thought it was this easy to break the gear. Hope a solution is found soon as am a little gun shy at this point.
          You may have hit a hole or a bump while taxiing. I fly off grass sometimes with this plane and have never cracked a retract. You need a good thump or jar to make that happen. If your field is like that, you might look into an all metal retract that has the same hole spacing. There are a couple of manufacturers that make rotating all metal retracts. The only question that needs to be resolved is the hole spacing.

Comment

Anything new on the weak gear problem?
            Agree with xviper , I've flown this Corsair off of grass with over 100 take-offs and landings and have yet to have a problem with the retracts. Sounds a bit strange that yours cracked immediately just from taxiing.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Agree with xviper , I've flown this Corsair off of grass with over 100 take-offs and landings and have yet to have a problem with the retracts. Sounds a bit strange that yours cracked immediately just from taxiing.
              Is it possible that hanging in the garage thru very cold and very hot can have an effect on plastic parts.
              Our grass field can have some rough spots but I've had hard landings with my Freewing L-39 to no effect. This was just on fast taxi. So who knows, hope it was just a fluke, new retract cases on the way. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Is it possible that hanging in the garage thru very cold and very hot can have an effect on plastic parts.
                Our grass field can have some rough spots but I've had hard landings with my Freewing L-39 to no effect. This was just on fast taxi. So who knows, hope it was just a fluke, new retract cases on the way. Thanks for the comments.
                The L-39 has trailing link struts. Those were designed for rough and tumble of bumpy surfaces. On the Corsair, not only are the struts Oleos, but they are rotating Oleos. However, you said it's your retract body that cracks. That's hard to explain. The tire/strut assembly would have to have a significant impact with a bump or a hole to cause it to crack. As for hot and cold? Perhaps. I keep my planes in the house and in a heated garage.
                Would your "fast taxiing" be like a take off roll but not taking off? That can be fairly fast. I've done such "driving" tests on new models and I shut if down just before there's enough speed to lift off but that's still quite fast and on a bumpy surface, can be quite jarring. I've destroyed retracts running into semi-filled gopher holes. Hitting a big, hard tuft of grass can also tear retracts off or wreck them entirely.

Comment

• Flying the third season on this plane. In my humble opinion and all things considered, this bird is just simply the best of foamie prop birds.
                  Tolga
                  Instagram: @_t01ga_
                  YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• Hey guys just chiming in. I don't own this bird but I have had three 1200 mm Bearcats that also have what I would call 'weaker' gear. With the new one, right out of the box, the wheels came off and the Dave Browns went on to help cushion the landing. I've learned to grease the landings which has helped airplane survivability as well, but with the paper thin wing under the retract servo, eventually small cracks will start to show, so what to do?
                    I have quite a bit of Flite Metal kicking around the hangar so what I'm going to do is cut a piece to match the upper wing panel that the retract sits against, sand and paint. This would not only add material to a weak point, but the material would be aluminum.
                    If this is the same problem that's occurring on the Corsair, this might be a solution.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                      I have quite a bit of Flite Metal kicking around the hangar so what I'm going to do is cut a piece to match the upper wing panel that the retract sits against, sand and paint. This would not only add material to a weak point, but the material would be aluminum.
                      I had an old Taft ViperJet years ago with similar thin, weak wings where the retracts were mounted. Landed hard and the retract pushed through the top. I used clear Gorilla tape on the top surface to make it thicker and stronger and also taped the underside all around where the retracts were. Didn't look good but it worked. Your method should help with strength and look hidden.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20210707_092747.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	318131
                        Here's were mine failed, both sides.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210707_092747.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	318131
                          Here's were mine failed, both sides.
                          That's happened to several of my retracts on different planes, mostly very heavy, fast landing planes. It takes a very hard impact with something to do that. I highly doubt that just taxiing on bumpy grass will do it.

Comment

• You might check out ElectronRetracts. I have not used them... yet. But they look like they may just be an awesome upgrade.

edited... Sorry, I just saw that they don't have a rotating one... yet!
                            Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
                              You might check out ElectronRetracts. I have not used them... yet. But they look like they may just be an awesome upgrade.

edited... Sorry, I just saw that they don't have a rotating one... yet!
                              Interesting stuff they've got. Located in Spain, priced in Euros. Could end up costing almost as much as the whole plane.

Comment

• Yeah, I see and agree. They sure do look well made tho.
                                Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Bent-wing Brethren, Final 'dry-fit' of console IP's and fitting of the modded 'Fwd IP' including the Callie Graphics instrument graphics, thank you Callie. Onto designing the side walls with those bits & pieces and beginning the canopy mods. More when there's more. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Stellar, Elbee! Keep it goin'!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Rockin' Elbee, amazing work!!

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Hi Folks, i just bought the FLIGHTLINE F4U-1D CORSAIR "BUBBLE TOP" 1600MM (63") WINGSPAN to build while recovering from foot surgery. i already have the FW A-10 And F7U which will be winter builds. Now my question is, has anyone had an issue with the number decals? I was putting them on yesterday and had to stop. they did not stick and when separating them from the cover piece they ripped so had to abandon the process until i have some feedback on the decal sheets.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X