Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone added gun lights to this? Doesn't look like it would be too difficult to bore the gun barrel holes back to the open channel behind them and run the gun light wires thru there.

Comment

• I just recently crashed my Top Flite 60 size kit built Corsair which took about 3 years to build. I'm considering replacing it with this plane. I didn't want to read through all 235 pages, so I was hoping to get some info about this plane as far as setup and flying. I'm sure there's plenty of great tips on this forum. If there any quick tips or any specific pages I need to look at I would appreciate it

Comment

• Originally posted by Laury415 View Post
        I just recently crashed my Top Flite 60 size kit built Corsair which took about 3 years to build. I'm considering replacing it with this plane. I didn't want to read through all 235 pages, so I was hoping to get some info about this plane as far as setup and flying. I'm sure there's plenty of great tips on this forum. If there any quick tips or any specific pages I need to look at I would appreciate it
        Laury ,

BUY IT ! I too had a redbox TopFlight 30 years ago . Like you I spent years on it . Saw this Corsair at the field, went home and bought one . Once i received it , I bought a second one. I is the best Corsair out of 20 or so that i have owned.
        Accurate scale lines , very well engineered, If you love the Corsair like I do get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pappy 883 View Post

Laury ,

BUY IT ! I too had a redbox TopFlight 30 years ago . Like you I spent years on it . Saw this Corsair at the field, went home and bought one . Once i received it , I bought a second one. I is the best Corsair out of 20 or so that i have owned.
          Accurate scale lines , very well engineered, If you love the Corsair like I do get it.
          I Second Pappy 883's endorsement of this aircraft! I had one a few years ago, crashed it. Last year I bought another one, and am thoroughly enjoying flying it at our local field. Flew it yesterday, as a matter of fact. Has great presence in the air, very scale looking. It fits in the bed of my pickup truck without having to dismantle it beforehand, which makes it no muss, no fuss.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Very nice Corsair !!!

Comment

• Thanks. This one was done in one of the planes flown by Lt. Robert M. "Killer Bob" Hanson, USMCR. He was the top scoring ace in the Corsair in WWII with 25 kills. He was lost on a fighter sweep mission just a couple of days before he was set to go home. He was awarded the MOH (posthumously.) He had just turned 23 years old.

Comment

• Originally posted by GooberRC View Post

Unfortunately I'm right there with you. I'm so so close to just ditching this bird due to how often the retracts break. Now they are out of stock and my only option is to purchase a complete landing gear part. IF I repair this plane again it will almost certainly be the last time.

Anyone know if the standalone retract units are going to be back in stock any time soon???
                Im with hugh,, they are week if u hit em hard.. i was 3 point and get it to slow.... but as they r saying, alittle more speed and let it settle on its own,, 2 wheels. Since i finally took there advice,, not a broken case in sight good luck... in any case its still awsome flyer mines been up way over500 times now

Comment

• Thanks for the encouraging words about purchasing this plane.

From what I have read it seems like the only real weak link are the retracts. I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the retracts with a different brand? I was also wondering if my Robart 615 pneumatic retracts from my Top Flite Corsair would work? Both planes are similar size and weight.

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                    Thanks. This one was done in one of the planes flown by Lt. Robert M. "Killer Bob" Hanson, USMCR. He was the top scoring ace in the Corsair in WWII with 25 kills. He was lost on a fighter sweep mission just a couple of days before he was set to go home. He was awarded the MOH (posthumously.) He had just turned 23 years old.
                    I love to see and hear about the many Corsairs and pilots, Not long ago all you could get was either Ira Kepfords #29 or Boyingtons #86. all great men but not the only great pilots that flew this great plane in many conflicts over many years.
                    I have always changed the markings on all my Corsairs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laury415 View Post
                      Thanks for the encouraging words about purchasing this plane.

From what I have read it seems like the only real weak link are the retracts. I'm wondering if anyone has been placed the retracts with a different brand? I was also wondering if my Robart 615 pneumatic retracts from my Top Flite Corsair would work? Both planes are similar size and weight.
                      I had the fwing mig 29 retracts in mine .. they were glued in.. bit ugly really... crappy or to slow they still break in the same places.. cracked case ,,or bent jackscrew.... i had the robart 3.5 wheels also... it also did not fly the same... extra weight or cg.... anyway gone back to stock,, and it flies on rails again.... i was floating mine in and 3 pointing it but now i get some height with down elevator( to keep a bit of speed) let it settle on its own on the mains... looks cooler if nothing else.... main point havnt broke a stock retract... as hugh sais ,, its all in the landing. Cya

Comment

I love to see and hear about the many Corsairs and pilots, Not long ago all you could get was either Ira Kepfords #29 or Boyingtons #86. all great men but not the only great pilots that flew this great plane in many conflicts over many years.
                        I have always changed the markings on all my Corsairs.
                        I totally agree. Nothing against the Kepfords or Boyingtons at all, but I, too, like featuring other pilots on my airplanes. I rarely keep the stock aircraft markings.

Bob Hanson was one tough marine. Born in India (parents were American missionaries), he called Boston his home. He liked to box, and was an extremely aggressive fighter pilot. He got all his 25 kills in just a matter of months before he, himself, was shot down and killed. Not long before his death, upon landing on the improvised runway at their base in the Solomon Islands, his plane flipped over and in the process, severed his thumb. Nonetheless, he bandaged it up and continued flying! Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	327977

Comment

• Hanson was badass to be sure, they should have done a movie about him too.
                          Davegee, I love the details you did to your plane , the tape over the gun ports , this is a detail that a lot of people forget. The little things matter .
                          And that airfield looks like a dream spot.

Comment

Hanson was badass to be sure, they should have done a movie about him too.
                            Davegee, I love the details you did to your plane , the tape over the gun ports , this is a detail that a lot of people forget. The little things matter .
                            And that airfield looks like a dream spot.
                            A lot of our heroes get forgotten over time, and with them their stories. I like to bring them back to life, so to speak, so more will learn about their contributions to the war effort. In Manila, P.I., there is a huge US military cemetery, I believe the largest outside the USA. Over 40,000 of our servicemen were never found, like Hanson, and their names are inscribed on huge stone walls in a circular fashion outside. On a layover there before I retired, I went over there and did a rubbing over his name and MOH emblem with thin paper and black chalk.

Regarding the airplane, if you look at the right wing, outside of the gun ports, you'll see a rectangular wedge shaped object. That, to me, is one of the most important additions to the Corsair, which ultimately made it safe(r) to try and land on a carrier. You may already be familiar with it, it is called a stall strip. Initially, the Corsair was considered unfit for carrier duty due to a nasty habit of sharply rolling to the left at slow speeds and lots of power, like approaching the carrier deck. This helped reduce lift on the right wing so that both wings would stall at the same time, hopefully about 1 inch off the deck! That's why the Marines got the Corsairs first, for island based duty, as they worked out the issues with the Corsair. Turns out the Brits were the first to come up with approach and landing techniques that made it possible to get onboard the carriers relatively safely.

Thanks for your kind comments, Pappy. Oh, and the field is a nice one, here in northwest Wyoming. A little rough, but works fine for us up here. The mountain in the background is called Heart Mountain. At certain times of the year, lots of Grizz up there!

davegee

Comment

• We think alike there Dave, I too included the infamous stall strip on my original Corsair . I noticed it on your plane but forgot to speak up. Only a true Corsair addict like us would bother.
                              I used to live in Greely, Co. so I know the area a little. Wyoming is a beautiful place. Im in SD,CA. now .Great weather but I would prefer your spot for sure. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0167 (2).JPG
Views:	424
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	328072

Comment

We think alike there Dave, I too included the infamous stall strip on my original Corsair . I noticed it on your plane but forgot to speak up. Only a true Corsair addict like us would bother.
                                I used to live in Greely, Co. so I know the area a little. Wyoming is a beautiful place. Im in SD,CA. now .Great weather but I would prefer your spot for sure. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0167 (2).JPG
Views:	424
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	328072
                                That was a great build and detail on your Korean War era Corsair. I especially like the missiles on the wings. I read up on them once. They were unguided and took some finesse by the pilot to aim them to hit a target, but if they exploded close, they'd probably destroy what they were trying to hit. The funny nickname for these missiles back in the day was "Holy Moses!"

I'm from the Denver area, lived there all my life up till two years ago when my wife and I decided it was time to leave. We're very happy with northwest Wyoming, and regularly enjoy a short hour's drive to Yellowstone NP, and other gorgeous spots like Grand Teton National Park. It suits us just fine for now, can get a bit tough in the winter, but no worse than Denver was. Probably windier, but nowhere is perfect!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Thanx Dave,
                                  its nice to receive complements from a fellow Corsair buff.
                                  I got on this thread pretty late in the game, but thought I'd share anyhoo . A little trick to avoid cutting your axle to fit the Robarts would be just hog out a hole in the hubcap instead. You just add spacers to take up the slack. And add the extra blank hubcap for a phony brake plate ( been done I know)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	328343

Comment

• We had 4 Corsairs and the field all to ourselves here a few weeks ago.
                                    Dave brought his FMS 1700 on the far end ,Carl 's FL 1600 birdcage in the middle, and my FMS 1400 in the foreground. This was a special day indeed.

Hope to have my FL ready soon. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159 (2).JPG
Views:	353
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	328376

Comment

• what a great pic ,,, im familiar with most f4u schemes.. my first corsair was the korea training scheme,, mm yukky... but have never seen the latest 1700 fms jacksonville scheme the regulars here,, im sure woul luv to inform me.. im sure..

Comment

• Thanks Ausie ,
                                        That F4U-4 1700 is just the stock scheme , Dave just added the white accents and some weathering. After ww2 they went to reserve squadrons back in the states, They put the orange band around the fuse to denote this. Jacksonville, Denver, Oakland. etc was just the city where they were stationed. In 1947 they also added the red stripe to the stars and bars. pre- Korean war.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158 (2).JPG
Views:	360
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	328452Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162_Moment (2).jpg
Views:	352
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	328453

Comment

• Very nice looking group of Corsairs!! I like the radar fairing on the right wing of the night fighter Corsair. Was that a scratchbuilt or printed part? Very cool.

Comment

Working...
                                          X