X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Dave,

The radar dome (pod) on the wing was carved out of one of the fuel tanks that they come with. I've done it before on one of my other (wood) Corsairs years ago .
    You can't see ir but I added the 20mm cannon fairings carved up from extra foam missiles
    Callie-graphics of course .

I have always wanted to have some other Corsairs show up . We didn't really plan this It just sort of all came together.

Almost done with my Flightline Corsair , I'll take it to the field for a "photo-op" .
    It's been said " don't fly-em until you're ready to say good bye to em"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pappy 883 View Post
      Thanks Dave,

The radar dome (pod) on the wing was carved out of one of the fuel tanks that they come with. I've done it before on one of my other (wood) Corsairs years ago .
      You can't see ir but I added the 20mm cannon fairings carved up from extra foam missiles
      Callie-graphics of course .

I have always wanted to have some other Corsairs show up . We didn't really plan this It just sort of all came together.

Almost done with my Flightline Corsair , I'll take it to the field for a "photo-op" .
      It's been said " don't fly-em until you're ready to say good bye to em"
      Cool. Well done. I had a friend at work whose dad flew those in the Marine Corps during WWII. He eventually became a general and for a while flew Marine 1 helicopters for the President. I never got to meet him before he passed away, though.

Comment

• Those guys had " BALLS OF STEEL " I'm sure.

Comment

Those guys had " BALLS OF STEEL " I'm sure.
          My friend told me that when he was a kid, friends of his dad would come over for drinks and to get together again. Guys like John Glenn, Pappy Boyington, and other marine fighter pilots from WWII. He got to talk one on one with John Glenn for about an hour, once. Boy, how I wish I could have been there to talk to these guys!

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0205.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.1 KB ID:	328486​​
            Thank you Flightline for all the hard work. And Callie graphics for saving me from having to make my own like I did 30 years ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E0167 (2).JPG Views:	1 Size:	128.1 KB ID:	328484​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E0208.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.0 KB ID:	328485​​​Click image for larger version Name: IMG_0205.JPG Views: 0 Size: 63.1 KB ID: 328486 image widget
            Last edited by Pappy 883; Oct 29, 2021, 02:43 PM. Reason: screwed up the post

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

My friend told me that when he was a kid, friends of his dad would come over for drinks and to get together again. Guys like John Glenn, Pappy Boyington, and other marine fighter pilots from WWII. He got to talk one on one with John Glenn for about an hour, once. Boy, how I wish I could have been there to talk to these guys!
              What an honor to be there and just listen and soak it all in. Lucky guy your friend. I saw Greg Boyington at a airshow down here at Brown Field back in the late 80s , never got to talk to him he was busy signing autographs that wish i would have gotten . oh well.

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0205.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.1 KB ID:	328486​​
                Thank you Flightline for all the hard work. And Callie graphics for saving me from having to make my own like I did 30 years ago.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_E0167 (2).JPG Views:	1 Size:	128.1 KB ID:	328484​​ Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_E0208.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.0 KB ID:	328485​​​Click image for larger version Name: IMG_0205.JPG Views: 0 Size: 63.1 KB ID: 328486 image widget
                Is that the Flightline Corsair?

Comment

• The top picture is my Flightline Corsair taken yesterday . The other 2 are my Topflight that I built and crashed in 1996.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coconut View Post

Is that the Flightline Corsair?
                    Did you ever rebuild the plane that crashed in 1996, or was it too much to do that? Nice looking Spirit next to it. What is the story behind that?

Comment

• No it was too far gone to rebuild, and besides I was so heart sick from loosing it I didn't even try. It was a highly modfied Topflight redbox version . Scatchbuilt cockpit ,missiles, tailgear, bomb, all the graphics were measured and cut by hand, and the badge on the cowel was painted by hand. ,sliding canopy,

The Spirit of St. Louis was scratchbuilt by me and also hand painted, I still have it. It had a .45 4 stroke nitro engine,
                      Both planes won awards in a local fun fly in 1995 & 96

Comment

• Pappy that is great work on all of those! What caused the crash of the Top Flite? Also what prop are you using for the Flightline? Did you change anything (motor kv maybe) to be able to swing it?
                        Big time propeller head
                        Love flying scale and 3D
                        Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

• Thank you,
                          The crash was pilot error . I was a low time pilot flying a heavy warbird and I let it get too slow on final. I got about 5 flights total before it went in during the contest.

The prop on my Flightline is from a FMS 1700. I really haven't even had a chance to check the amp draw yet. I still has the stock motor and prop shaft. It seems pull it fine though.
                          I'm not even finished with the plane yet so ......more as it goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	328503

Comment

Thank you,
                            The crash was pilot error . I was a low time pilot flying a heavy warbird and I let it get too slow on final. I got about 5 flights total before it went in during the contest.

The prop on my Flightline is from a FMS 1700. I really haven't even had a chance to check the amp draw yet. I still has the stock motor and prop shaft. It seems pull it fine though.
                            I'm not even finished with the plane yet so ......more as it goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	328503
                            It happens when you're new. Everybody has put one in that way once...or more.

Very...VERY impressed with your modeling skill. That radial looks awesome. I just told Heidi (my wife...and awesome camera gal) that I found someone as good or better than her (she is an art teacher and paints all my details on my planes). Can't wait to see it when you call it done!

Big time propeller head
                            Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

• Originally posted by Starck Mad View Post

It happens when you're new. Everybody has put one in that way once...or more.

Very...VERY impressed with your modeling skill. That radial looks awesome. I just told Heidi (my wife...and awesome camera gal) that I found someone as good or better than her (she is an art teacher and paints all my details on my planes). Can't wait to see it when you call it done!

Thank you very much there Starck,
                              Flightline has presented an excellent canvas for a little finessing details like that. That radial is the stock one I just added large paperclip wire for the plug wires, aluminum tubing for the pushrod tubes, bits of wire insulation at the base of the plug wires, little octagonal plastic stock from the hobby store ,cut into bits to simulate the bolts around the casing and some paint .
                              Time consuming yes but fun too.
                              Little advice, NEVER tell you wife you've found someone as good or better.... just sayin' Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	328516

Comment

• Originally posted by simonslim View Post
                                Maiden of my Flightline Corsair yesterday, fantastic, did not go over half throttle on the full flight including take off.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoxPieUEIuk
                                Wow , have you guys seen this video back from page 154 ? AMAZING !!!

Comment

Flightline has presented an excellent canvas for a little finessing details like that. That radial is the stock one I just added large paperclip wire for the plug wires, aluminum tubing for the pushrod tubes, bits of wire insulation at the base of the plug wires, little octagonal plastic stock from the hobby store ,cut into bits to simulate the bolts around the casing and some paint .
                                  Little advice, NEVER tell you wife you've found someone as good or better.... just sayin' Click image for larger version

Lol...That made me spit out my coffee...
                                  Big time propeller head
                                  Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

I like your attention to detail on the R2800 engine. Little things like that really dress it up. I did some detail work on a 1/5 scale R2800 that went into an ESM Corsair several years ago. It never flew, it was destined to go in the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL back around 2013. It is painted up in the colors and markings of Lt. Bob Hanson's plane, though, as is my present Flightline Corsair that I am really enjoying flying these days. Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1526resized_edited-1.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	328611

Comment

• Beautiful work there Dave,

Did it start with a vac form or did you do it from scratch ? Very authentic looking .

Comment

Beautiful work there Dave,

Did it start with a vac form or did you do it from scratch ? Very authentic looking .
                                        I think I got some resin cylinders from an old Williams Bros. 1/5 scale kit. I think I found 18 of them, so I was able to put the second bank of cylinders in behind the front row for more realism. There was some scratchbuilding with the aluminum wiring harness, the magnetos, prop governor, some connecting rods, and of course all the spark plug wiring, two for each cylinder for the completion of the model. It worked out ok. Unfortunately, I think I've lost or misplaced most of the construction and finishing photos for this airplane. I did find one poor copy of a photo in the Emil Buehler library where we hung it up in October 2013. Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-10-31_093815.jpgcropped.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	328620

Comment

• Happy Halloween to all Bent Wing Brethren, I have gotten back to 'real' work now that our summer project is coming to an end. Photos: I have cut the forward turtle-deck to allow for rear canopy attach point. This kept the fore and aft attach points in parallel and even looks a bit better, I think. There's a new slide carriage, canopy bow w/mirrors, and LH cockpit side wall with radios, etc+. Also, a larger throttle body currently printing. I have also started printing in a matte black color. We'll see if that paints up as well as the silver. Next up is cockpit assembly. More when there is more. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X