X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John Wood View Post
    For my recently purchased Flightline F4U Corsair, I am in the process of designing and fitting aluminium tube stays to the oleo's to provide hopefully some resilience to the gear as I have read so many comments about the weakness of the struts and damage caused by hard landings and necessity of expensive multiple replacements.
    I have not flown the plane yet so am trying to build in some insurance for expected hard landings until I get better!
    The system will involve making fixed angled stays, similar to the ones fitted to the real plane which they obviously needed for strength (but not fixed), unfortunately this will mean flying with the gear always down which I will put up with until I can achieve smooth touch downs.
    I hope to post some pictures of the construction when I get all the bits together, but was wondering if anyone else has tried anything similar.
    If successful, I may try and design some form hinged stays to work with retracts even if it means removing the gear doors and associated servo mechanism
    Will this upgrade do anything to help with the garbage servos that like to crack with the least bit of a hard landing? My Corsair hasn't had any issue with the struts getting damaged. Just the servos cracking or the worm gear bending & then not being available.

Comment

• here here if u want to not mak,e them retractable,, some internal epoxy will do that i have done that when desprate to fly.. to often earlly... its not same but u get to fly fly fly

Comment

• This is how I fixed the retracts on my Flightline F4U Corsair by adding stays to the oleo legs, to give some resilience on hard landings and hopefully avoiding damage to the gear mechanism, even if it requires flying with gear down for the time being
        The bits and pieces were obtained from eBay including aluminium collars 12mm ID with M5 grub screws set at right angles, aluminium tube 8mm OD 20swg malleable grade, rubber blocks 40mm x 13mm 10mm, M5 screws 6mm long

The collars slide over the oleo legs nice close fit and are secured with grub screw into the plunger spring slot without binding on the spring. The aluminium tube was cut and flattened at ends and angled with one end drilled to take M5 screw replacing the grub screw in the collar, the rubber blocks were CA glued together in stages after shaving to have snug fit into the retracts void above actuator unit with tight push fit into housing.
        To fit the assembly, I removed the wheel and slid the collar over the oleo leg and pushed the rubber combined block into the space above retract actuator, I pushed the wheel forward as far as it will go and positioned the collar and tightened the grub screw into spring slot then tightened the stay screw into the collar to form rigid leg without any forward or backward movement then replaced wheel. The assembly can easily be removed at the field once you are confident that you can make a smooth landing (with any luck and nerve!)
        I disabled the gear switch on TX just in case I forgot about the fixed gear and to avoid any damage caused by accidentally operating the gear switch and the gear trying to move. I hope to try out this mod later in the year when the weather improves, I am a fine weather flyer only, hopefully it will work and sustain hard landings but I will still be holding my breath.
        I am attaching a few photos of the construction and hope you may find this of interest, watch this space!

PS: I am now in the process of installing a new more to scale pilot with legs, but requiring some cutting to make it fit, I have already fitted a sound system simulator programmed for a Corsair which sounds quite authentic. I hope all these mods and additions prove to be worth the effort and the plane doesn't end up in a pile foam bits on it's maiden flight, but I have fitted an RX with gyro and safe select so hopefully that will give it a better chance of survival, but as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained!

PPS: In reply to comments about servos being weak and cracking, worm bending etc I am hoping these stays will reduce strain on the servo and prevent movement of the strut leg

Comment

This is how I fixed the retracts on my Flightline F4U Corsair...
          JW, Good idea actually and great explanation on your strut modification. Let us know how well it worked and if you do further mods to LG. All the best, Steve
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• OK, Abwagner121 and John Wood, (clever Mod though) maybe adding gasoline to the fire and I'm sure I'm going to "ruffle some feathers", but if you learn to land consistently with power and ease it on the runway perfectly flat at around 28%-35% throttle (depending on flap deflection and wind) with the mains touching first, then reduce throttle and let it settle in, you shouldn't have a problem cracking the gear casing or bending the worm screw. I've probably got over 70 flights/landings with my current gear and they're still in one piece (probably just jinxed myself). As I've said before, I probably went through at least 6 main gear retracts in my first 15 flights trying to 3 point it in or just not landing correctly that way. After watching tons of videos and listening to pilots experienced at scale landing of warbirds, I changed my landing technique and it's been smooth sailing ever since. You can 3 point the Spitfire (but it too likes to land flat, with some speed, on the mains and sure looks more scale) with no gear issues due to the landing force not being taken on by the worm gear, but this Corsair will just not let you get away with that more than a few times, or even once. I used to call the Corsair retracts my "Independent and Unbiased Assessment Meter of my Landing Technique". I even set my timer to tell me when the throttle is at 40% (approach throttle setting) and 34% and 28% for landing speed. The throttle does not go below 28% until it's rolling on the runway, flat for about 10-15 feet.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Yes Hugh you are correct, a better landing technique is the answer but until then I would like to have a few flights before I write off the gear, also as I fly off a disused WW2 airfield which is very rough after 80 years but very nostalgic but a smooth run in is impossible. Thanks though for the info on your method of landing I will take note but as you will probably realise when you are coming in for a landing logic and memory of procedure go out of the window and panic sets in!

Comment

when you are coming in for a landing logic and memory of procedure go out of the window and panic sets in!
                Absolutely, you are wise beyond your years! Thant's why I always take an extra pair of shorts in my field box, and use them regularly! Nothing gets my blood pressure up like any RC Landing, except of course when I hear my CO calling out my name!
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Yes Hugh I know the feeling well!

Comment

• I finally understand why so many of you say the stock retracts are weak and fold easily. I have the left retract worm shaft bend on my grass landing today which I dare say is not a hard landing IMO.
                    But what's done is done and now I need to replace the retract unit since I cannot get it to work properly anymore.

Can anyone be kind to advise, if the MIG29 mains rotating retract units can be a drop-in fit, or needs whatever modification for use in the Corsair? I understand that they are stronger and thus I will prefer to use it if able.

Appreciate the information please, TIA!

Comment

• Hey YAW-all, I'd like to PITCH you my latest update and hope you don't ROLL laughing. I finished the gunsight print and glued it to the FWD IP. The part ended up in 3 pieces to get the print quality I'd hoped to see and the smaller size. Looks decent, I think. I figured what good was the "Enclose Release" stencil without a enclosure release button, so I added that. Anyway, I am

waiting on a couple of things from the talented Ms Callie of Callie Graphics, so the work was therapeutic, too. Oh, and I filled, sand, primed the forward cockpit section. I had really dinged that up

with all the handling and refits. Better now.

Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• So awesome! If I had a cockpit that looks that nice I'd probably own two. One that flies and one that sits on the line. It looks amazing LB!

Comment

• Elbee outstanding as usual.
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• SanExup & Hugh Wiedman, I thank you. She is coming along slowly, but steadily and she will fly, I build mine to fly (except the F-18C which is not yet completed. Dead Blue Box, but I have a new one finally) otherwise I would just build 1/48th scale plastic kits. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not for me. More when there is more. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Here's my Royal New Zealand Airforce Corsair. Motor, cockpit, pilot, and fuel cap (doubles as a puller to pull the hatch off) are 3D printed. Decals are from Callie Graphics. Paint is Resene testpots (available in NZ) sprayed on with an airbrush. A few more things yet to add like nomenclature and maybe some minor weathering. The insignias are a bit shiny compared to the paint so might cover with a coat of matt WB Poly.

Comment

• RodgerC I really like your repaint and the cockpit and pilot, not to mention the extra work on the radial engine. Outstanding work. Couple of the photos look almost like the real thing.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cycross View Post
                                  I finally understand why so many of you say the stock retracts are weak and fold easily. I have the left retract worm shaft bend on my grass landing today which I dare say is not a hard landing IMO.
                                  But what's done is done and now I need to replace the retract unit since I cannot get it to work properly anymore.

Can anyone be kind to advise, if the MIG29 mains rotating retract units can be a drop-in fit, or needs whatever modification for use in the Corsair? I understand that they are stronger and thus I will prefer to use it if able.

Appreciate the information please, TIA!
                                  I had mig 29 units in mine,,, they r huge ... they were epoxy in place,, bit ugly... gear doors dont fit.. and they r long so they will b raised at the back.. there is a metal spa.. i did break one.. to b fare that day i was flying at industrial place,, did not c a mound of dirt,, thats my excuse... have gone bak to correct units and replaced the plastc mounting area ... to b fare they r not crazy expenssive.. put em in ya box of tricks?. If u want to make it easy to replace at the field,, put a wire extention in.. so you can just unplug it at the gear door... instead of needing wing removal etc

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post

I had mig 29 units in mine,,, they r huge ... they were epoxy in place,, bit ugly... gear doors dont fit.. and they r long so they will b raised at the back.. there is a metal spa.. i did break one.. to b fare that day i was flying at industrial place,, did not c a mound of dirt,, thats my excuse... have gone bak to correct units and replaced the plastc mounting area ... to b fare they r not crazy expenssive.. put em in ya box of tricks?. If u want to make it easy to replace at the field,, put a wire extention in.. so you can just unplug it at the gear door... instead of needing wing removal etc
                                    Thank you so much! Just one small additional question please. Is it true that the pins are not the same size as the stock retract unit, i.e. I cannot use the original struts with the Mig29's retract unit?
                                    Thanks too for the tip, yes totally make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by RodgerC View Post
                                      Here's my Royal New Zealand Airforce Corsair. Motor, cockpit, pilot, and fuel cap (doubles as a puller to pull the hatch off) are 3D printed. Decals are from Callie Graphics. Paint is Resene testpots (available in NZ) sprayed on with an airbrush. A few more things yet to add like nomenclature and maybe some minor weathering. The insignias are a bit shiny compared to the paint so might cover with a coat of matt WB Poly.
                                      RC, Gorgeous build. Your details are outstanding and the repaint, flawless. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                        OK, Abwagner121 and John Wood, (clever Mod though) maybe adding gasoline to the fire and I'm sure I'm going to "ruffle some feathers", but if you learn to land consistently with power and ease it on the runway perfectly flat at around 28%-35% throttle (depending on flap deflection and wind) with the mains touching first, then reduce throttle and let it settle in, you shouldn't have a problem cracking the gear casing or bending the worm screw. I've probably got over 70 flights/landings with my current gear and they're still in one piece (probably just jinxed myself). As I've said before, I probably went through at least 6 main gear retracts in my first 15 flights trying to 3 point it in or just not landing correctly that way. After watching tons of videos and listening to pilots experienced at scale landing of warbirds, I changed my landing technique and it's been smooth sailing ever since. You can 3 point the Spitfire (but it too likes to land flat, with some speed, on the mains and sure looks more scale) with no gear issues due to the landing force not being taken on by the worm gear, but this Corsair will just not let you get away with that more than a few times, or even once. I used to call the Corsair retracts my "Independent and Unbiased Assessment Meter of my Landing Technique". I even set my timer to tell me when the throttle is at 40% (approach throttle setting) and 34% and 28% for landing speed. The throttle does not go below 28% until it's rolling on the runway, flat for about 10-15 feet.
                                        Some wise words here Hugh. I have yet to fly the Corsair but have flown the Spitfire for a couple of years now, so it's good to hear there are difference required in the landing technique.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cycross View Post

Thank you so much! Just one small additional question please. Is it true that the pins are not the same size as the stock retract unit, i.e. I cannot use the original struts with the Mig29's retract unit?
                                          Thanks too for the tip, yes totally make sense.
                                          Yes i drilled mine out to correct size.. if ya dont have a micrometer,, u can go to a tool store and they will mike it up 4 u ,, and give u correct size within thou... its needs tight fit or will wobble.. have fun

Comment

Working...
                                          X