X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by handyman220 View Post
    I really like the Birdcage version. I'm assuming it is just a different canopy on the same fuselage but it gives the plane a whole new look. I own several D Corsairs so it looks like an A model is on my horizon. Pre order is on its way Motion.
    Thanks for the opportunity to earn your Birdcage business, Handyman220! You're right, we designed the mid section of the fuselage to be modular at the factory. The canopy and some of the foam area aft of the canopy are different between the two variants.

Sharp eyed scale nuts can point to other variations, such as antenna placement, the existence of the belly window, etc. In all, there were also field modifications and variations from the different factories producing the real Corsair that obscure what is "strictly scale" for a given variant. In fact, even the monikers -A and -D aren't necessarily period accurate. For example the "-A" moniker was a designation used after WWII, not during it as our chosen -A liveries depict. And technically, the -A used Hamilton's 6501A-0 prop, not the later 6541A-0 that the -D used (which is the prop we're using for both our Corsairs, for aerodynamic purposes). The 6501A-0 has a narrower root and is wider toward the tip, while the 6541A-0 has a wider belly and tapers toward the tip. The funny thing is, most of us wouldn't have noticed things like this if I didn't mention it. But I like to poke at my own work. I'd still pitch it against any foamy Corsair, ever.
    :P
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Well, I bit the bullet and preordered the bubble top. I decided that santa should get a gift also! Can't wait!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post

And, possibly, and finally, a great scale version of the P-40 E!!
        That's one that might suck me in. I'm full and storage is getting tight, but.......................................

Mike

\"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

AMA 1102566

Comment

Looks very nice! Is there a weapon set available or planned?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

Thanks for the opportunity to earn your Birdcage business, Handyman220! You're right, we designed the mid section of the fuselage to be modular at the factory. The canopy and some of the foam area aft of the canopy are different between the two variants.

Sharp eyed scale nuts can point to other variations, such as antenna placement, the existence of the belly window, etc. In all, there were also field modifications and variations from the different factories producing the real Corsair that obscure what is "strictly scale" for a given variant. In fact, even the monikers -A and -D aren't necessarily period accurate. For example the "-A" moniker was a designation used after WWII, not during it as our chosen -A liveries depict. And technically, the -A used Hamilton's 6501A-0 prop, not the later 6541A-0 that the -D used (which is the prop we're using for both our Corsairs, for aerodynamic purposes). The 6501A-0 has a narrower root and is wider toward the tip, while the 6541A-0 has a wider belly and tapers toward the tip. The funny thing is, most of us wouldn't have noticed things like this if I didn't mention it. But I like to poke at my own work. I'd still pitch it against any foamy Corsair, ever.
              :P
              When I was doing research on Arrow 167 and Corsairs in general, it is amazing all the slight differences between the models. As you mentioned, different factories and field modifications make for a lot of variation and most of it probably isn't well documented. I find similar issues the B-17, and I bet almost all of the WW2 US planes have the same issues. Different factories and maintenance crews in the field making changes to suit their theater. Not sure if you have read "Arsenal of Democracy", but it is fascinating when looking at how different the Ford and Consolidated B-24's were and how the process of building the planes were drastically different when they started. A properly restored WW2 plane is probably not really accurate to how it was when it was either new or in service. The QC and process stability of multiple factories spitting out planes as fast as possible is nothing like the years of effort it takes to make a restored plane.

I do agree, based on everything I have seen so far, there isn't a more accurate and scale Corsair on the market. I love my old PZ/HZ Corsair, but you can just tell by looking at it that it isn't correct in terms of scale and proportion. Hard to tell exactly what is wrong, but it just looks off. Flies great and looks the part in the air, but not going to have the same ramp appeal that the FlightLine one has. The new one is a flying scale model and I love that!

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
                For some reason, I never liked the 4 blade prop on the Corsair nearly as much.
                I'm the opposite. I prefer the 4-blade prop. I currently have the 1700mm FMS Corsair. If there was an optional 4-blade prop with hub and nose cone, I could be swayed to ditch the old FMS and get this one. The FMS one is getting a little dated and looking "well used".

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  I'm the opposite. I prefer the 4-blade prop. I currently have the 1700mm FMS Corsair. If there was an optional 4-blade prop with hub and nose cone, I could be swayed to ditch the old FMS and get this one. The FMS one is getting a little dated and looking "well used".
                  The 1700mm Corsair prop bolt's right on....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181212_174539850_iOS.jpg
Views:	2816
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	166183
                  TiredIron Aviation
                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Name:	20181212_174539850_iOS.jpg
Views:	2816
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	166183
                    Now THAT'S interesting. I just did a cross reference and the size and pitch are very comparable (18x12x3 vs 17x10x4) so the draw on the ESC and motor shouldn't be a problem. You have just made my life a little more difficult and my bank account a little angrier. :Confused:

Comment

Just needs a 3D cowl and exhaust mod and you'd have a proper early dash 4. A custom new windscreen and you'd have a late dash 4 or 7! :Cool:

Comment

Ya know it is a beautiful Corsair. If I was in the market for one I would take a hard look at it. Bottom line, I already have 3 Corsairs. Dynam, E-flight, and a TopRC. I typically don't like planes over 1200mm. Mostly because I just don't have the space, and work area. I have an HSD A-1 that's 1600mm I'm going to start on in the next few months. But finding a place to put it is going to be a problem for me for sure. It's hard to beat the quality of the FMS Corsair in my opinion, but I'm sure this Flightline is really nice. Maybe some day, but not soon, as I have 3 to burn thru already.

Best Regards
                        Woody

PS I too prefer the 4 bladed prop over the 3 bladed prop. My HSD 1600mm A-1 has a huge 4 bladed prop I intend to apply flight metal too. W

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post

That's one that might suck me in. I'm full and storage is getting tight, but.......................................

Mike

TOTALLY!!!!! X10
                          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

You can always shove another one into the man cave if necessary!!!! Merry Christmas all!!! :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                              You can always shove another one into the man cave if necessary!!!! Merry Christmas all!!! :Cool:
                              Merry Christmas Jerry! I'm saving two racks for the C-130's man. If they ever happen. : (

Woody

Comment

Smart move to have 2 flight reviews on the Corsair, one with Alpha and the Bubble top and one with James, having Patrick fly the bird cage. After seeing the Bird cage in the air, I was sold and preordered one. I have had a lot of Corsair models, from the Royal, Topflite 60 size and lg scale, a Byron was flown for about 8 yrs. and the FMS 1700mm. This new Corsair in my mind has it all, as far as price, scale out lines, power to weight and features. I think Flightline and Alpha's team hit a home run with this one. Great job and looking forward to getting mine.
                                Rick

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  [V]ery comparable (18x12x3 vs 17x10x4) so the draw on the ESC and motor shouldn't be a problem.
                                  XV, Is there a watt comparison chart available to test your premise? I would be Very interested in doing a 4-bladed bubble version. I have never owned or flown a Corsair, though would love to detail out one of these Flightline models. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Make sure you let us know how how the two props compare as far as speed and flight time. I myself like the four bladed prop.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

Make sure you let us know how how the two props compare as far as speed and flight time. I myself like the four bladed prop.
                                      Will do once this snow is gone...until then I'm flying the Kingfisher and the Snow Sled ;)

Name:	Kingfisher_Snow.jpg
Views:	1679
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	166220

Name:	20181212_193630343_iOS.jpg
Views:	1733
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	166221
                                      TiredIron Aviation
                                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I have the bubble top version on pre-order and I'm really looking forward to assembling and flying it. All of the Flightline RC models I have flown fly really well and I have no complaints about any of them.

Martin.

Comment

• RAF version would be easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                                          X