Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you don't like white socks you can use Tigercat wheels...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181213_185432812_iOS.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	166449

Name:	20181213_185417355_iOS.jpg
Views:	1465
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	166450
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• All the pictures I see of the full scale yellow FF59 show white on the empennage. What is a good paint to use that is compatible with the paint and foam?

Comment

• What is the diameter of the main wheel?

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyGagJr View Post
          All the pictures I see of the full scale yellow FF59 show white on the empennage. What is a good paint to use that is compatible with the paint and foam?
          Good acrylic. If it were mine, I would use Tamiya Acrylic (81392) XF-02 White in an airbrush. Merry Christmas!!! Welcome to the Squawk!! The white missing on the tail is, to me, a key piece of the livery.... Jerry

Comment

• Love it!!! I did order the birdcage though; this one in the spring....

Comment

• I agree, the white is crucial. I am always leery to paint foam planes because of compatibility and paint lifting from masking. Any tips on masking to avoid lifting the factory paint?

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                What is the diameter of the main wheel?
                85mm for the Tigercat wheel that George substituted.
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyGagJr View Post
                  I agree, the white is crucial. I am always leery to paint foam planes because of compatibility and paint lifting from masking. Any tips on masking to avoid lifting the factory paint?
                  I use yellow frog tape. Ace Hardware usually stocks it... I put the tape against my cotton t shirt or jeans and then pull it off again to lessen the tact of the tape. I also use toilet paper and lay the tape on the paper, just leaving about an 1/8th of an inch of tape exposed and mask with that. You can also you Post-It notes if you are not going around compound curves... Just go very slow when you remove the tiny bit of tape and do it as soon as possible after the paint "flashes" off. Still tacky, but not wet.... Hope this helps!!!

Comment

• OK, I just ordered one. You guys are so nice, informative and eager to provide answers, I couldn't help myself. MotionRC, you did it again.
                    I'll probably end up either selling my FMS 1700mm cheap to another local flyer or just give it away to a friend I fly with. It's well used and beat up to me but to someone else, I think it'll be a welcome addition.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

85mm for the Tigercat wheel that George substituted.
                      Great! I measured my FMS tires and they are around 95mm, so being a little smaller, 85 is very nice. I have spare wheels for my FMS and if they'll fit, I may put them on. I love big tires on my planes.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        I'll probably end up either selling my FMS 1700mm cheap to another local flyer or just give it away to a friend I fly with.
                        This is the only way you can come out making a profit :Cool:
                        TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post

Hey Alpha...you know I'm a nut for painting projects and once again you've blown me away with your talent with an airbrush. Here's what I did recently on a 1:32 scale static model but please tell me...did you start over with pre-shading and re-do all the color, or did you add lighter shades over the stock paint to get the in-panel fading? Beautiful, and what an awesome subject bird...thanks!!! I'm also "spousally challenged" when it comes to adding to the hanger, but it's just a matter of time until the birdcage finds its way here!! Rob
                          AS someone who build for a living I will tell you step one is to never use black on anything. Pretty much never. Always use dark greys light greys browns mixed with purples.
                          AMA 1102566

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                            If you don't like white socks you can use Tigercat wheels...

Name:	20181213_185432812_iOS.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	166449

Name:	20181213_185417355_iOS.jpg
Views:	1465
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	166450
                            Hey George are the wheels the same size?

Comment

• I just saw a post from George on Facebook, he said the Corsair & Tigercat wheels are the same size.

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

This is the only way you can come out making a profit :Cool:
                                And, it's Christmas time.

Comment

• Alpha how long have they been on the water?
                                  AMA 1102566

Comment

• Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post

AS someone who build for a living I will tell you step one is to never use black on anything. Pretty much never. Always use dark greys light greys browns mixed with purples.
                                    Great advice from a pro. I can't wait to get my hands on one and give it my best attention. These are perfect weathering canvases, especially the -1A. That's why I think I am leaning towards the -1A first.

My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• You see people using black way to much. If anything lets say for exhaust start out with a splurge of nato black or better yet German field grey. Then work your way into light tans and browns to fade it out. Then hit the beginning of streak with a grey purple mix. Gives it that perfect hue of wtf color is that lol. Like this pic. Everything your eye is telling IS black isnt not even close. But when you use black on a model its to stark and make everything around it look instantly fake and not to scale. FWIW YMMV .2cents yadda yadda Hey where is pappy?

Name:	IMG_E2494 (2).JPG
Views:	1159
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	166500Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2650.JPG
Views:	1160
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	166501
                                      Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

Great advice from a pro. I can't wait to get my hands on one and give it my best attention. These are perfect weathering canvases, especially the -1A. That's why I think I am leaning towards the -1A first.

AMA 1102566

Comment

• Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
                                        You see people using black way to much. If anything lets say for exhaust start out with a splurge of nato black or better yet German field grey. Then work your way into light tans and browns to fade it out. Then hit the beginning of streak with a grey purple mix. Gives it that perfect hue of wtf color is that lol. Like this pic. Everything your eye is telling IS black isnt not even close. But when you use black on a model its to stark and make everything around it look instantly fake and not to scale. FWIW YMMV .2cents yadda yadda Hey where is pappy?
                                        Great info. I am still a weathering newb so I soak up any tricks of the trade like a sponge. As for Pappy, I am afraid he's been one lonely pilot awaiting his bird. Due to my builder buddy's unending conflicting schedule with work and family obligations, the build has been in one big fat holding pattern. I am hoping time will free up for him this Winter a bit so we can finish it up in time for Spring.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Here is how my F4 has turned out thus far......And yes!! GREAT Advice! These Models are great canvas's
                                          And can't wait for my Birdcage!
                                          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Working...
                                          X