Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a little cobbled together, and I have some things I want to adjust and add, but this one fits in the bubble top and aligns over the original instruments.

Comment

• Originally posted by KatManDEW View Post
      It's a little cobbled together, and I have some things I want to adjust and add, but this one fits in the bubble top and aligns over the original instruments.
      KMD, Your design? If so, and you decide to share it, please contact Aros and see if he will add it to the MotionRC Support page for both Corsairs (Birdcage/Bubble). Thank you. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Yes, what LB said!
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

KMD, Your design? If so, and you decide to share it, please contact Aros and see if he will add it to the MotionRC Support page for both Corsairs (Birdcage/Bubble). Thank you. Best, LB
          I used the top two rounded rows of switches from the original and did everything else from scratch. I added all the little round rivets or whatever, Extended it down to the bottom of the cockpit, and added some ad-lib bling. Just started printing it.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair instrument panel.JPG
Views:	898
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	246920

Comment

• I'm working on adjusting the 3D cockpit side panels to fit better now.

Since I had the instrument panel picture off the airplane to adjust the 3D instrument panel to fit, I took high a high resolution photo of it and enhanced things like contrast and saturation, and "removed" the joystick handle that was obscuring the lower left gage. I cleaned up imperfections on the gages only because the rest is not visible when the 3D panel is in place. I printed it on photo paper and sprayed it with clear acrylic.

Name:	Inst-panel-screen.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	247508

Comment

I'm working on adjusting the 3D cockpit side panels to fit better now.

Since I had the instrument panel picture off the airplane to adjust the 3D instrument panel to fit, I took high a high resolution photo of it and enhanced things like contrast and saturation, and "removed" the joystick handle that was obscuring the lower left gage. I cleaned up imperfections on the gages only because the rest is not visible when the 3D panel is in place. I printed it on photo paper and sprayed it with clear acrylic.

Name:	Inst-panel-screen.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	247508
              KMD, You do great work. Just so you know, Callie Graphics also has a photo version of the IP gauges available. Not certain whether those are color, however. Lookin' good. Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

KMD, You do great work. Just so you know, Callie Graphics also has a photo version of the IP gauges available. Not certain whether those are color, however. Lookin' good. Best, LB
                Thank you Elbe. I got the insignias from Callie. I wasn't sure if their instrument panel matched the original stock one.

I got the instrument panel and sides pretty much good enough. I'm not sure is I want to trim the sides down to match the shape of the fuselage foam around the cockpit, or trim them off level and fill in some foam to build it up to match the straight sides. In the photos I've seen the full scale looks like it has straight/level sides at the top sides of the cockpit, and I think it looks better.

What do you think?

I'm anxious to wrap up the cockpit so I can finally glue the canopy back on. We've got flying weather around here!

Name:	20200410_213827.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	248221

Name:	20200410_213858.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	248222
                Attached Files

Comment

• WOW!! awesome!
                  Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Thank you Elbe. I got the insignias from Callie. I wasn't sure if their instrument panel matched the original stock one.

I got the instrument panel and sides pretty much good enough. I'm not sure is I want to trim the sides down to match the shape of the fuselage foam around the cockpit, or trim them off level and fill in some foam to build it up to match the straight sides. In the photos I've seen the full scale looks like it has straight/level sides at the top sides of the cockpit, and I think it looks better.

What do you think?

I'm anxious to wrap up the cockpit so I can finally glue the canopy back on. We've got flying weather around here!
                    KMW, I think your work is great and when I get to my build, much like you, I will cut away whatever foam is required to bring the model closer to scale.The original intent with the OEM cockpit STL files was to modify those to bring the OEM files closer to 1:1 and make those 'fit' better. I was working blind without the kit. Your mods to the STL files should be added to the MotionRC Support pages, you did a great job on the mods. BTW I sent Callie Graphics a 3DP print of the modded IP and then she worked her magic on the instrument cluster photo. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hi guys. I got the gear and doors all situated on my birdcage. Got 4 flights in yesterday and all was good to go. Still loving this plane! Thanks Alpha!

Comment

• My apologies because I'm sure it's been discussed before, but is there a paint that is a good match for the Bubbletop blue?

Comment

• Going through some old footage and loved the way you could see the heat getting blown off the runway in B&W.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spinny Testaverde View Post
                            Going through some old footage and loved the way you could see the heat getting blown off the runway in B&W.

Very cool. Super clean approach and smooth touchdown.

Comment

My apologies because I'm sure it's been discussed before, but is there a paint that is a good match for the Bubbletop blue?
                              KatManDEW, I used the Behr Ultra Deep Base UL203 Flat/Matte from Home Depot and got a good match for the deep blue of the Bubbletop. Attached is a photo of the jar, although it's kind of smeared and may be difficult to read, so the mixture is as follows:
                              CLRNT: 3841h
                              BL: 150
                              EL: 145
                              KXL: 36
                              TL: 3

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200414_130626.jpg Views:	14 Size:	130.3 KB ID:	249112
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman, Thank you, Sir. Best, LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

KatManDEW, I used the Behr Ultra Deep Base UL203 Flat/Matte from Home Depot and got a good match for the deep blue of the Bubbletop.
                                  The mixture is as follows:
                                  BL: 150
                                  EL: 145
                                  KXL: 36
                                  TL: 3
                                  I have the same #UL203 base, but they gave me a different color match formula and the last color is different.
                                  Mine seems to be very close. This also matches the FL Tigercat by the way:

BL: 198
                                  EL: 75
                                  KXL: 54
                                  VUL: 8
                                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

I have the same #UL203 base, but they gave me a different color match formula and the last color is different.
                                    Mine seems to be very close. This also matches the FL Tigercat by the way:

BL: 198
                                    EL: 75
                                    KXL: 54
                                    VUL: 8
                                    I can take the same piece to different Home Depots and always get a different formula. Seems like there is always a new guy on the machine each time trying to learn how to use it after coming from his last job of frying french fries at McDonalds. Mine did seem to match, but I coat it with 4 coats of Spar Urethane Gloss and everything comes out looking the same. I wouldn't doubt that your formula may even be better.
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman Hugh ……..what most folks also aren't aware is that just an 1/8 in height difference on the scanner head can make an effect on the optics of the colorization.
                                      Way back in the day when I was a contract manager for one of the suppliers that painted the Philly SEPTA subway cars at ADtranz in Elmira, the customer SEPTA keep rejecting the black gloss fiberglass bonnet for having a flatness.
                                      Long story short, The PPG paint rep determined that the spray paint operator was spraying the gloss from the outer limits of the recommend range which was causing the PPG paint to "soften" in luster.
                                      Man...…….just some of the crazy things I've learned over the years.. I did use some of that knowledge back when doing an ol'skool rattle can flat black paint of a 68 shovelhead Harley for my daughter
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thank you all very much for the paint information. I printed it to take to Home Depot.

I need to wrap up the cockpit so I can glue the canopy back on, but I want to make sure I've done all I might want to first. I'm playing with some "arm rest" panels now.

Name:	LH arm rest.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	249284

Comment

• I got some of the paint mixed at Home Depot. It looks like a real good color match. I'm gradually pecking away at wrapping up the cockpit as time allows.

I've done some color measurement in years gone by, and it is indeed subject to operator error.

Comment

Working...
                                          X